1080P Vizio or 720P Samsung??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 69 Old 10-13-2007, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
wanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been researching around and narrowed it down to either the "42 inch 1080 GV42LF Vizio" or the "40inch 720P Samsung LNT4053H". The only advantage Vizio has over the Samsung is a higher resolution, 1080P. But even then, I've been reading that theres not a big difference between 1080P and 720P. So I was wondering, will the Samsung be a better choice because of its higher contrast ratio of 8000:1 compared the Vizio's 1600:1 ??


VS.


I don't have the budget for a high end 1080P TV, but I still want the best picture and a reliable TV for roughly ~$1000. I'm leaning towards Samsung because of its high reception for the brand, reliability, and 8000:1 contrast ratio. What do you guys suggest? Much help is appreciated, Thanks!!
wanger is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 69 Old 10-13-2007, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mes444's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: N. Texas
Posts: 2,635
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Check out the warranties on each tv and the reviews. I have the Samsung you are considering and it's a nice tv with good reviews. I'm not familiar with the Vizio, but I feel Samsung is a better manufacturer so that's the once I chose.

If you've looked at both in a store, you should pick the one you feel has a better pic, 1080p may look better to your eyes.
mes444 is offline  
post #3 of 69 Old 10-13-2007, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
wanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mes444 View Post

Check out the warranties on each tv and the reviews. I have the Samsung you are considering and it's a nice tv with good reviews. I'm not familiar with the Vizio, but I feel Samsung is a better manufacturer so that's the once I chose.

If you've looked at both in a store, you should pick the one you feel has a better pic, 1080p may look better to your eyes.

If I buy the Vizio from Costco, I can get 1 year from the manufacturer and an extra 2 years from Costco for free. And Samsung is 1 year but theres no way I'm paying extra for an extended warranty, I'd like to save that money for something else.

Since you have the tv I'm leaning towards , hows the picture quality of the Samsung you have compared to other 1080P TVs with the same contrast ratios? Do you have any complaints about the tv? Thanks
wanger is offline  
post #4 of 69 Old 10-13-2007, 04:44 PM
Senior Member
 
ioannisds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 421
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanger View Post

If I buy the Vizio from Costco, I can get 1 year from the manufacturer and an extra 2 years from Costco for free. And Samsung is 1 year but theres no way I'm paying extra for an extended warranty, I'd like to save that money for something else.

Since you have the tv I'm leaning towards , hows the picture quality of the Samsung you have compared to other 1080P TVs with the same contrast ratios? Do you have any complaints about the tv? Thanks

Actually, Costco extends the warranty for 1 year, so it ends up being 2 years total. Still pretty sweet. If it were me though, I'd get the Samsung. I had some bad luck with the Vizios I owned.
ioannisds is offline  
post #5 of 69 Old 10-13-2007, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
EscapeVelocity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 5,655
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 118
wanger, they are both pretty good sets. What are you wanting to use as sources for this thing? That could to have strong relevance concerning your decision.

I tend to favor the Sony S3000 over the Samsung 53. But the 53 looks nice....Samsung has a history of HDMI troubles it seems like though. The GV42LF is getting good quality control feedback, lots of problem free sets. The 42 inch Vizios are generally considered to be the best of the Vizios as far as PQ is concerned, as well.

I own the GV42LF and I love it, very impressed by its performance and features.

If this is your first flat panel HDTV, you will probably be thrilled with either one.

Vizio VP322 Plasma / Vizio GV42LF LCD / Denon 2200 Silicon Image DVD / Panasonic S97 Faroudja Genesis DVD / Oppo 970HD Mediatek DVD / Oppo 983H Anchor Bay DVD / Panasonic LX-600 Laserdisc / Aiwa MX100 Multi-region VCR / JVC S7600 S-VHS / PS2 / Sega Genesis / Nintendo SNES / Roku 2 XS & HD-XR / Realistic STA-90 Reciever / Realistic Minimus 7 / Antennacraft G1483 Hoverman / Belden 7915A RG6 / Channel Master 7777 Titan 2 UHF/VHF / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
EscapeVelocity is offline  
post #6 of 69 Old 10-13-2007, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
wanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeVelocity View Post

wanger, they are both pretty good sets. What are you wanting to use as sources for this thing? That could to have strong relevance concerning your decision.

I tend to favor the Sony S3000 over the Samsung 53. But the 53 looks nice....Samsung has a history of HDMI troubles it seems like though. The GV42LF is getting good quality control feedback, lots of problem free sets. The 42 inch Vizios are generally considered to be the best of the Vizios as far as PQ is concerned, as well.

I own the GV42LF and I love it, very impressed by its performance and features.

If this is your first flat panel HDTV, you will probably be thrilled with either one.

I have a PS3 and plan to use a HD attenna. I know the PS3 can display
1080P, but I've read that theres really a small difference between 1080P and 720P, so I'm stuck between Vizio and Samsung.

I've read a lot of positive PQ comments from the GV42LF Thread, but how does the Vizio PQ compare to the 720P Samsung? Theres also a much higher contrast ratio of 8000:1 compared to Vizio's 1600:1. What do you think about that? And this isn't my first LCD, my roommate has an older 32in HDTV LCD Sammy and we both use it on my PS3.
wanger is offline  
post #7 of 69 Old 10-13-2007, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fafner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 1,854
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you are at all sensitive to PQ you will ultimately be disappointed with a 720p set.

Save a later upgrade step and get the best 1080p set you can afford. Its worthing to stretch your budget to get 1080p.
Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

fafner
fafner is offline  
post #8 of 69 Old 10-13-2007, 06:16 PM
Senior Member
 
SLUDGE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 420
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the Vizio 1080P. Future proof yourself now. I have NO problems with the Vizio. I game all the time with the xbox 360. Halo3 looked incredible in full 1080P. Dont settle or limit yourself to 720P. Plus I got the Visio on sale at Sears for $950. Smokin deal.
SLUDGE is offline  
post #9 of 69 Old 10-13-2007, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
wanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafner View Post

If you are at all sensitive to PQ you will ultimately be disappointed with a 720p set.

Save a later upgrade step and get the best 1080p set you can afford. Its worthing to stretch your budget to get 1080p.
Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

fafner

I'll be moving out into a new apartment with my PS3 and no TV. I don't think I can live without any TV and stare at my PS3 with such a good line up of games coming in November and December. My budget is stuck between what seems like the best two LCDs at ~$1000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLUDGE View Post

I have the Vizio 1080P. Future proof yourself now. I have NO problems with the Vizio. I game all the time with the xbox 360. Halo3 looked incredible in full 1080P. Dont settle or limit yourself to 720P. Plus I got the Visio on sale at Sears for $950. Smokin deal.

You guys are making my decision much harder... I was leaning toward the sammy but now I'm not so sure anymore.
wanger is offline  
post #10 of 69 Old 10-13-2007, 08:11 PM
Senior Member
 
JCR1960's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Boca Raton,Florida
Posts: 270
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wanger I just went through the very same thing that you are going through with the same TV sets infact.I did the comparison shopping and ultimately went with the Vizio GV42L 1080p that was delivered today.

Jim
JCR1960 is offline  
post #11 of 69 Old 10-13-2007, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
wanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCR1960 View Post

Wanger I just went through the very same thing that you are going through with the same TV sets infact.I did the comparison shopping and ultimately went with the Vizio GV42L 1080p that was delivered today.

Argh, I don't know what I should get!! Whats your impressions on the Vizio?? Do you feel that you made the right choice buying the Vizio over the Samsung?
wanger is offline  
post #12 of 69 Old 10-13-2007, 08:36 PM
Senior Member
 
NightmareRec0n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanger View Post

I have a PS3 and plan to use a HD attenna. I know the PS3 can display
1080P, but I've read that theres really a small difference between 1080P and 720P, so I'm stuck between Vizio and Samsung.

I've read a lot of positive PQ comments from the GV42LF Thread, but how does the Vizio PQ compare to the 720P Samsung? Theres also a much higher contrast ratio of 8000:1 compared to Vizio's 1600:1. What do you think about that? And this isn't my first LCD, my roommate has an older 32in HDTV LCD Sammy and we both use it on my PS3.

The 8000:1 is dynamic contrast......
NightmareRec0n is offline  
post #13 of 69 Old 10-13-2007, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
wanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightmareRec0n View Post

The 8000:1 is dynamic contrast......

Isn't Vizio's 1600:1 dynamic contrast also?
wanger is offline  
post #14 of 69 Old 10-13-2007, 09:18 PM
Member
 
JethroXP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I own the Vizio GV52L, I'm *very* happy with it. One thing that 1080p does for you over 720p is it reduces the pixel size, so you can get closer to the screen of a 1080p TV than you would with a 720p TV before you'd start to notice the individual pixels.

Here is a great (long) article on the topic, if you scroll down the just below the half-way point you'll see the chart that shows optimal viewing distance for TVs of differing sizes and resolutions.

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messa...79/284986.html
JethroXP is offline  
post #15 of 69 Old 10-14-2007, 05:55 AM
Senior Member
 
JCR1960's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Boca Raton,Florida
Posts: 270
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanger View Post

Argh, I don't know what I should get!! Whats your impressions on the Vizio?? Do you feel that you made the right choice buying the Vizio over the Samsung?

Absolutely love it and it was the right decision for me.

Jim
JCR1960 is offline  
post #16 of 69 Old 10-14-2007, 08:12 AM
icy
Member
 
icy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
my vote goes to the vizio as well. it gives you comparable pq to the more expensive 1080p setd for half the price.
icy is offline  
post #17 of 69 Old 10-14-2007, 09:31 AM
Newbie
 
RavenII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Pfft, get the vizio bud, do your self the favor...I ended up returning my 42" and buying a 46" sharp (friends and family one time only sale)...and I kinda regret it.
RavenII is offline  
post #18 of 69 Old 10-14-2007, 09:37 AM
Newbie
 
ferg80513's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm not yet sure the Visio is the right set (I'm leaning towards it though) but I am sure that 1080p is the prudent choice. Here's the article that convinced me.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...07-part-1.html
ferg80513 is offline  
post #19 of 69 Old 10-14-2007, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
EscapeVelocity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 5,655
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanger View Post

I have a PS3 and plan to use a HD attenna. I know the PS3 can display
1080P, but I've read that theres really a small difference between 1080P and 720P, so I'm stuck between Vizio and Samsung.

I've read a lot of positive PQ comments from the GV42LF Thread, but how does the Vizio PQ compare to the 720P Samsung? Theres also a much higher contrast ratio of 8000:1 compared to Vizio's 1600:1. What do you think about that? And this isn't my first LCD, my roommate has an older 32in HDTV LCD Sammy and we both use it on my PS3.

Dynamic CR claims should be held with deep skepticism. The real CR for the Vizio is about 800:1 and for the Samsung its probably about 1500:1. This is reflects deeper black levels, you are likely to get from the Samsung.

If you were just going to watch Movies and TV Broadcasts, I would tend toward the Samsung's increased Black Levels/CR. But you lose 1x1 no overscan 1080 line pixel reproduction of the vastly more widespread 1080i HD broadcast and HD-DVD/Blu-Ray. With Video Games and Computer use, the Vizio GV42LF gets the edge. Add in a larger screen and I think the Vizio starts looking like the better move.

My 2 cents.

Vizio VP322 Plasma / Vizio GV42LF LCD / Denon 2200 Silicon Image DVD / Panasonic S97 Faroudja Genesis DVD / Oppo 970HD Mediatek DVD / Oppo 983H Anchor Bay DVD / Panasonic LX-600 Laserdisc / Aiwa MX100 Multi-region VCR / JVC S7600 S-VHS / PS2 / Sega Genesis / Nintendo SNES / Roku 2 XS & HD-XR / Realistic STA-90 Reciever / Realistic Minimus 7 / Antennacraft G1483 Hoverman / Belden 7915A RG6 / Channel Master 7777 Titan 2 UHF/VHF / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
EscapeVelocity is offline  
post #20 of 69 Old 10-14-2007, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mes444's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: N. Texas
Posts: 2,635
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanger View Post

If I buy the Vizio from Costco, I can get 1 year from the manufacturer and an extra 2 years from Costco for free. And Samsung is 1 year but theres no way I'm paying extra for an extended warranty, I'd like to save that money for something else.

Since you have the tv I'm leaning towards , hows the picture quality of the Samsung you have compared to other 1080P TVs with the same contrast ratios? Do you have any complaints about the tv? Thanks

If you use a credit card with extended warrany provisions, you can get two years and 3 months with the Samsung (Sammy gives you a 3 mo. extention when you register and the credit card goes one year after sammy warranty expires).

I have a 1080p Samsung DLP but it has all the edge enhancements always on and I don't want to go into the service menu to turn them off (DNle). So that is my only point of reference. I have the LNT 4053 on movie, which is no enhancements. So my comparison is not so good. But the 1080p looks sharper, but I could boost the 4053's sharpness and enhancements and activate DNLe and get the pop as well. I haven't because with the pop comes the artifacts and a smooth picture is nice.

I like Samsung stuff and I did not want to spend $500 more for a Sammy LCD 1080p. I think at this point of development, LCD 1080p is in it's first year and there are some issues. So all in all I went 720p for our LCDs and I like the picture very much. Tons of adjustable settings. I think you would like the set very much, but I always think your eyes have to do the decision. Good luck and it sounds like either would be a good choice.
mes444 is offline  
post #21 of 69 Old 10-14-2007, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
wanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mes444 View Post


I like Samsung stuff and I did not want to spend $500 more for a Sammy LCD 1080p. I think at this point of development, LCD 1080p is in it's first year and there are some issues. So all in all I went 720p for our LCDs and I like the picture very much. Tons of adjustable settings. I think you would like the set very much, but I always think your eyes have to do the decision. Good luck and it sounds like either would be a good choice.

Yeah, with all these mixed suggestions, I'm going to Costco today and decide for myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeVelocity View Post

Dynamic CR claims should be held with deep skepticism. The real CR for the Vizio is about 800:1 and for the Samsung its probably about 1500:1. This is reflects deeper black levels, you are likely to get from the Samsung.

If you were just going to watch Movies and TV Broadcasts, I would tend toward the Samsung's increased Black Levels/CR. But you lose 1x1 no overscan 1080 line pixel reproduction of the vastly more widespread 1080i HD broadcast and HD-DVD/Blu-Ray. With Video Games and Computer use, the Vizio GV42LF gets the edge. Add in a larger screen and I think the Vizio starts looking like the better move.

My 2 cents.

Most of my time will spent playing Video Games and Computer use, so you just might have changed my decision to buy a Vizio instead... Thanks for all the input everyone, I appreciate it!
wanger is offline  
post #22 of 69 Old 10-14-2007, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
EscapeVelocity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 5,655
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 118
The Samsung will have a much better torch mode. Vizios notoriously dont look so hot with out of the box picture settings.

I suggest that you take some recommended calibration settings in with you, before you go attempting to make a decision based on PQ in the store.

Vizio VP322 Plasma / Vizio GV42LF LCD / Denon 2200 Silicon Image DVD / Panasonic S97 Faroudja Genesis DVD / Oppo 970HD Mediatek DVD / Oppo 983H Anchor Bay DVD / Panasonic LX-600 Laserdisc / Aiwa MX100 Multi-region VCR / JVC S7600 S-VHS / PS2 / Sega Genesis / Nintendo SNES / Roku 2 XS & HD-XR / Realistic STA-90 Reciever / Realistic Minimus 7 / Antennacraft G1483 Hoverman / Belden 7915A RG6 / Channel Master 7777 Titan 2 UHF/VHF / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
EscapeVelocity is offline  
post #23 of 69 Old 10-14-2007, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
Terminader's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: California
Posts: 628
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was very skeptical about Vizio especially after seeing them in the stores compared to others. I took a chance on the VU42LF from Costco knowing that I could always return it within 90 days and buy a Sharp/Sony/Samsung if I wanted to. I figured I'd give the Vizio a try.

I was pleasantly surprised. Since I got the 42" 1080p for around $1K, I knew I couldn't get a better deal. I could pay more money for slightly better picture quality, but it was not worth it to me.

For you situation, go bigger if you can fit it (42 instead of 40). Future proof yourself with 1080p instead of 720, especially since you have a PS3 (I do as well). You can play some games in 1080p and they look awesome. Also, I have been buying and renting Blu-ray DVDs and friends and family are amazed at the PQ and detail.

So, I suggest you take the Vizio home on a trial basis for 90 days. Learn about HD from this forum and your own experience. Then you may decide to keep it or do something different. At least at this point you will be making a more informed decision.

I was so happy with my Vizio VU42LF 1080p, I moved it to the bedroom and put a Vizio GV52 1080p in my family room!! I paid less ($3K) for two 1080p sets than some people spend on one TV!!!
Terminader is offline  
post #24 of 69 Old 10-14-2007, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
wanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminader View Post

I was very skeptical about Vizio especially after seeing them in the stores compared to others. I took a chance on the VU42LF from Costco knowing that I could always return it within 90 days and buy a Sharp/Sony/Samsung if I wanted to. I figured I'd give the Vizio a try.

Gosh... I think I'll just go with the Vizio and give it a try. Are there any coupons or deals at Costco? I know I can get one for $950 + tax at Sears but I'd rather buy it from Costco. Thanks
wanger is offline  
post #25 of 69 Old 10-14-2007, 01:05 PM
icy
Member
 
icy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Don't forget though, that sears and costco carry two different models, although they are very similar. Costco carries the VU42LF, and Sears carries the GV42LF. The only differences are that the GV has better speakers, which are detachable.

Some have felt that the GV has had less quality control issues, but I don't know too much about that. They are practically the same otherwise.

I got the GV at Sears, and it has been excellent. However, Sears return policy sucks, so if you want to try it out, I'd shop at costco.
icy is offline  
post #26 of 69 Old 10-14-2007, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
EscapeVelocity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 5,655
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 118
You may lose the advantage as a computer monitor of 1080 over VGA with teh VU42LF.

Vizio VP322 Plasma / Vizio GV42LF LCD / Denon 2200 Silicon Image DVD / Panasonic S97 Faroudja Genesis DVD / Oppo 970HD Mediatek DVD / Oppo 983H Anchor Bay DVD / Panasonic LX-600 Laserdisc / Aiwa MX100 Multi-region VCR / JVC S7600 S-VHS / PS2 / Sega Genesis / Nintendo SNES / Roku 2 XS & HD-XR / Realistic STA-90 Reciever / Realistic Minimus 7 / Antennacraft G1483 Hoverman / Belden 7915A RG6 / Channel Master 7777 Titan 2 UHF/VHF / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
EscapeVelocity is offline  
post #27 of 69 Old 10-14-2007, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
wanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by icy View Post

Don't forget though, that sears and costco carry two different models, although they are very similar. Costco carries the VU42LF, and Sears carries the GV42LF. The only differences are that the GV has better speakers, which are detachable.

Some have felt that the GV has had less quality control issues, but I don't know too much about that. They are practically the same otherwise.

I got the GV at Sears, and it has been excellent. However, Sears return policy sucks, so if you want to try it out, I'd shop at costco.

Thanks for the heads up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeVelocity View Post

You may lose the advantage as a computer monitor of 1080 over VGA with teh VU42LF.

The highest resolution on my pc is 1280 x 800... will it show 1080p on the
GV42LF over pc input?
wanger is offline  
post #28 of 69 Old 10-14-2007, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Buckeye911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 3,085
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafner View Post

If you are at all sensitive to PQ you will ultimately be disappointed with a 720p set.

Save a later upgrade step and get the best 1080p set you can afford. Its worthing to stretch your budget to get 1080p.
Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

fafner

You could not be more wrong. Resolution is not the most important factor in PQ. More important are contrast ratio, color saturation and accuracy, and black levels. The PQ on the Samsung is superior to the Vizio's. This particular Vizio does have decent black levels but it's poor shadow detail and lower contrast ratio would steer me away from this set. The Samsung is a much better tv, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out.
Buckeye911 is offline  
post #29 of 69 Old 10-14-2007, 01:33 PM
icy
Member
 
icy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeVelocity View Post

You may lose the advantage as a computer monitor of 1080 over VGA with teh VU42LF.


Oh yeah, I think that is another difference between the VU and GV. The GV accepts 1080p over all inputs, most notably VGA, which I don't think the VU does.


Let me add that if you have a PS3, go with 1080p. Blu-Ray and video games will thank you.
icy is offline  
post #30 of 69 Old 10-14-2007, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
EscapeVelocity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 5,655
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye911 View Post

You could not be more wrong. Resolution is not the most important factor in PQ. More important are contrast ratio, color saturation and accuracy, and black levels. The PQ on the Samsung is superior to the Vizio's. This particular Vizio does have decent black levels but it's poor shadow detail and lower contrast ratio would steer me away from this set. The Samsung is a much better tv, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

The Vizio has very good color accuracy and saturation, when calibrated properly. The Samsung has a very pleasing torch mode. The Samsungs colors tend to be oversaturated as well, but that is what people like......a garish overly sharp, overly colorfied, cranked white levels and high contrast. Samsung does that combo better than Vizio. If you like/want accurate reproduction of the source, Vizio can do it for the least amount of mullah, and without chinzing on the post sale warranty support and using top notch LG panels and MediaTek video processing chipsets with Faroudja DCDi technology AND HIGHER NATVIE RESOLUTION, to boot.

Vizio VP322 Plasma / Vizio GV42LF LCD / Denon 2200 Silicon Image DVD / Panasonic S97 Faroudja Genesis DVD / Oppo 970HD Mediatek DVD / Oppo 983H Anchor Bay DVD / Panasonic LX-600 Laserdisc / Aiwa MX100 Multi-region VCR / JVC S7600 S-VHS / PS2 / Sega Genesis / Nintendo SNES / Roku 2 XS & HD-XR / Realistic STA-90 Reciever / Realistic Minimus 7 / Antennacraft G1483 Hoverman / Belden 7915A RG6 / Channel Master 7777 Titan 2 UHF/VHF / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
EscapeVelocity is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off