Remove Crayon from LCD TV screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 34 Old 10-25-2007, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recent bought a 42" LCD flat panel TV (Philips 7422), and 2 days later my kid made crayon marks on it. I used a notebook screen cleaner (non-alcohol) to remove it, but it was difficult. I applied some force to scrub it off, but was afraid to damage the screen. I got most of it off, but still faint marks from crayon. Any advice on how to remove the remaining marks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 10-25-2007, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

WD-40 will take off crayon but I'm not sure if it will hurt the screen, I would try it in a corner. Seems like it might be safer than most other otpions. Good Luck
post #3 of 34 Old 10-25-2007, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OreoJoe View Post

Solvents like WD-40 may cause permanent damage to the screen. Why take that risk?

Because I doubt vinegar will take crayon off and I think the Meguiars polish will leave the spot hazy, but just my opinion. If it were me, I would try to find a repair shop that has a junk LCD TV or screen and see if they would let me experiment, they may even offer up a remedy.
post #4 of 34 Old 10-25-2007, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat6366 View Post

Because I doubt vinegar will take crayon off and I think the Meguiars polish will leave the spot hazy, but just my opinion. If it were me, I would try to find a repair shop that has a junk LCD TV or screen and see if they would let me experiment, they may even offer up a remedy.

You "doubt" and you "think"? Dude just said he has used vinegar and it works. I can tell you for certain that WD-40 attacks plastic. Don't use it.
post #5 of 34 Old 10-25-2007, 08:43 PM

WD-40 will eat away stuff DO NOT USE IT.
It breaks down rubber and plastics.
post #6 of 34 Old 10-26-2007, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJonathan View Post

You "doubt" and you "think"? Dude just said he has used vinegar and it works. I can tell you for certain that WD-40 attacks plastic. Don't use it.

Chill out W. He said he used vinegar to clean two screens but did not say to clean crayon off two screens. You can tell me for certain that WD-40 attacks plastics? Well which kinds of plastics? You ever buy WD-40 in a plastic bottle? How about the stuff in the can with the plastic straw that can fit in the nozzle? Neither of those "plastics" are bothered by WD-40. Now I realize that those are different types of platics and I am not dumb enough to lump all plastics into one group, that is why I suggested trying it first.
post #7 of 34 Old 10-26-2007, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

im just going to use my "gentle" LCD screen cleaner every week until the remaining crayon residue is removed over time. Absolutely no more crayons in the living room!!!
post #8 of 34 Old 10-26-2007, 09:34 AM

You could try that Mr Clean Magic Eraser or whatever they call it. I've heard that it takes lots of stuff off without damaging surfaces. Just be gentle.
post #9 of 34 Old 10-26-2007, 12:03 PM
adb
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Most manuals tell you what to use to clean your screen.
post #10 of 34 Old 10-26-2007, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Isopropyl alcohol is safe, and should remove the crayon. the most important thing is to use a non abrasive cloth (not paper towels!).

I Like Digital!
post #11 of 34 Old 04-16-2008, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFGum View Post

WD-40 will eat away stuff DO NOT USE IT.
It breaks down rubber and plastics.

Old topic, I know, but Crayola's website now actually recommends WD-40 for cleaning crayon from plastics. I also found dozens of other parents who successfully used it without damaging the screen.

I'll be giving it a try on a small test area before I tackle the crayon though.
post #12 of 34 Old 01-18-2009, 11:23 AM

Whoever suggested Mr. Clean magic erasure, thank you!
All it uses is water and the erasure.
It took crayon off my lcd tv screen and pen ink off my mac cinema display.
It worked right away and was very gentle.
The screens do not appear to be effected at all.
I am very pleased.

Hopefully this will help.

Thanks again.
Timothy Ley likes this.
post #13 of 34 Old 01-18-2009, 08:00 PM

I think I may have a solution for you..

A while back.. When I was installing a lcd double din deck into my car.. i accidentally put super glue onto the screen..

It would NOT come off.. THe only method it would come off of it was using nail polish remover WITHOUT acetone..
post #14 of 34 Old 01-18-2009, 10:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mr. Clean magic erasure?! Did you really just use that?

Next time you have a cleaning question, do alot more research. Sorry if this sound brutal, and am not trying to be a you know what. But they are not as gentle as some think, no where near. If you didn't just leave marks on your screens you are lucky. Car detailing guru's over at autopia will not even use them on their cars, because they leave swirl marks, what do you think they will do to plastic?

If I remember right, they are made of very fine fiberglass (or similar material) shards. Here is a experiment for you, if you have a colored wall in your house, take one and rub it in a corner or something, you will probably see some of the colored paint now on the Magic erasure. Yes you may have to rub a little hard, but just the fact there in itself is good enough for me to ever use it on anything that I would not want to have marks on it.

What you should invest in are some good micro fibre towels. If you have a Kragen/Schucks/Auto Parts America local, pick up a Viking MF drying towel (not the waffle weave). And then make your own cleaning solution of distilled water and rubbing alcohol.
post #15 of 34 Old 02-15-2009, 09:51 AM

So I tried baby wipes, then a mix of water and rubbing alcohol to clean off my Vizio L37 and finally got desperate and pulled out a brand new clean Mr. Clean eraser.

That thing worked like a charm. And no, it didn't scratch the screen all to heck. In fact, looking at it from all angles it looks perfectly smooth. I'm completely thrilled. My TV looked like some work of modern art before with smiley people and ground in crayon and that eraser sure took it all off. This is the second time I've had to deal with crayon on the screen and I swear that it took some of the junk off from the first time I tried to clean the screen with just water!

I don't know, maybe it's akin to using a Disc Doctor to clean a CD. It's probably buffing off the topmost layer but it sure did the job.

NOTE: I did rub very softly out of paranoia and didn't go in circles, just horizontal swipes
post #16 of 34 Old 04-25-2009, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyH View Post

I recent bought a 42" LCD flat panel TV (Philips 7422), and 2 days later my kid made crayon marks on it. I used a notebook screen cleaner (non-alcohol) to remove it, but it was difficult. I applied some force to scrub it off, but was afraid to damage the screen. I got most of it off, but still faint marks from crayon. Any advice on how to remove the remaining marks?

OMG my 3 yr old just did it 2 my 42in this morning! 3 swirling circles in the middle. Help! What did you find out? What worked for you?
post #17 of 34 Old 12-24-2009, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I just had to clean crayon off my LCD TV. My 2 yr old decided to adjust the color. I went the microfiber cloth, distilled water, & patience route. It worked great and it cost me $2.50 for 2 microfiber cloths & $.90 for the water.

There's nothing to see here.

post #18 of 34 Old 02-05-2010, 10:39 AM

Just used a magik (?) eraser. It worked better than I could have imagined. It needs a little water to work. My 3.5 yr old totally covered our flat panel with a crayon explosion the day oafter we got it - about a year ago. Magic eraser took it off (this morning) with ease. I didn't have to press too hard, and it left no scratches, scuffs, or marks. I would have tried wd-40 next, but there was no need. Crazy how this thing works. Guess my wife is not so gullible for buying this cleaning thing after all. Thanks for the recommendation!

-Rob
post #19 of 34 Old 02-05-2010, 11:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Whatever happened to that Ad where a kid shoves spaghetti into the VCR? For some kind of no-worry warranty as I remember.

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

post #20 of 34 Old 07-27-2010, 11:50 AM

Ohh my goodness! Who ever said the Magic Eraser didn't work is a fool! My fiance came home yesterday and noticed the crayon our 3 yr old daughter drew all over our flat screen! I thought we were just going to have to buy a new T.V. but now does anyone know how to get permanent marker off of white walls? Magic Eraser didn't work on this one!
post #21 of 34 Old 07-28-2010, 01:35 AM
AVS Special Member

WD40 is petroleum-based....

Boky
post #22 of 34 Old 09-28-2010, 12:05 PM

Rubbing alcohol (91%) and a microfiber cloth worked marvelously for me last night.
post #23 of 34 Old 01-05-2011, 12:41 PM

I used a dab of dish soap and a baby washcloth, it came right off, I didn't have to push hard or anything, and it did not hurt the screen.
post #24 of 34 Old 01-11-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommymadness View Post

I used a dab of dish soap and a baby washcloth, it came right off, I didn't have to push hard or anything, and it did not hurt the screen.

thats what I used on my computer monitor. If I catch my son thinking while he is looking at my big screen, hes gonna get a preemptive whoopin! On the bright side, at least he is using crayon instead of pen like last time...

Signature.
post #25 of 34 Old 01-11-2011, 02:17 PM

Uh, looks to me like there are some spam accounts in this topic possibly spreading misinformation. To anyone reading this just take care and do your research before taking anyone's advice in this topic.
post #26 of 34 Old 01-11-2011, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

I would rub the kids face in it to remove it!

That would make them think twice next time!

JK by the way!
post #27 of 34 Old 02-15-2012, 09:55 AM

So I woke up to realize when going to turn on the TV this morning for the weather that my daughter of 3.5 years had decided to draw with a blue crayon on my 37" LG LCD TV. I took my 10 seconds to calm down and went to have a gentle talk with her on why that was bad and the consequences of doing it would be no cartoons till the weekend.
After I dropped her at school, I immediately looked up how to get this stuff off without jacking up my TV. I FOUND THIS FORUM!!! Yay!
Anyway, after reading some of the posts which are good, I realized I have the perfect thing for this task. Now this is the part where I'll sound like a pitchman...I used Ecosense Clear Power from Melaleuca. You see I've been a customer of there's for over a year now and realized none of their cleaning materials are harsh and they are safe for the kids.

FIRST: turn off the TV! You shouldn't try to clean an LCD while it's on.

SECOND: get a microfiber towel

THIRD: Spray the Clear Power on to the MF towel

FOURTH: gently rub your screen to get off the crayon.

IT WORKED PERFECTLY!

Make sure to turn the MF towel over and use the dry side to get all the moisture off the TV and bam!...Nice clean LCD screen.
If you want to know how to get the Clear Power, just message me.
I'm so relieved to know this stuff works.
post #28 of 34 Old 02-15-2012, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Is this a record for most replies by first-time posters?

post #29 of 34 Old 02-15-2012, 11:31 AM

But I can tell you that having to clean up after a kid is extremely common.
post #30 of 34 Old 02-15-2012, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddUGA View Post

Is this a record for most replies by first-time posters?

I noticed that too on such an old thread. I cringed at the wd-40 options, winced at the magic eraser suggestions and balked at the random empirical evidence thrown around.
Thread is full of spam fail.

I've never had to remove crayon, but I did have to remove hot candle wax once. It fell off the tower speaker during a party and covered the screen with a splash. Luckily I have this cleaner called... lol, jk.

I scraped it off with a known soft plastic (debit card non metallic edge) after the wax cooled and huffed it with my breath for moisture while buffing with a cotton terry towel. Microfibre also works. I've never used more than water and a non abrasive cloth to clean anything shiny and plastic. It scuffs so easily.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Philips 47pfl7422d 37 47 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page