Vizio VX32L - "No Signal" on either HDMI input - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 11-03-2007, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had my Vizio VX32L for a little over a month and I just picked up my first HD DVD player, the Toshiba HD-A2 at the big Wal-Mart sale yesterday.

The problem is when connected to either HDMI inputs I get a blue screen with "No Signal" message.

Things I've tried to troubleshoot:
- tried both HDMI inputs
- tried another HDMI cable
- tried another DVD player (Phillips DVP5960) on both inputs
- updated the firmware on the HD-A2 (from 1.2-2.5)
- tried multiple power-up sequences (tv 1st, dvd 2nd, etc.) and plugged and unplugged the cables multiple times.

At one time I did get the Vizio to display a black screen with "Retrieving Data" but it never got a picture from the HD-A2. The Toshiba works fine on the component inputs but I bought this TV to use the HDMI connections.

Do I have a bad unit? I'll troubleshoot further tomorrow by taking the HD-A2 and HDMI cable to a friend's house and try it on another TV. If everything works fine there, this one is going back to Costco for exchange.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 11-04-2007, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

The good news is my Vizio is fine and I don't have to lug this thing back to Costco.

Took my HD-A2 and cable to a friend's house and connected to his new Toshiba 42" 1080p LCD. Worked great... with his cable. Yep, the 3 cables I had were all defective. My cable would not work with his TV either.

In case you're wondering, stay away from these:
Item No: AC-009-1027 at supermediastore[dot]com
(sorry since I have less than 3 posts the forum wouldn't allow me to post a link )

I'm in the process of getting a refund now.

Lesson learned - all cheap cables aren't created equal. Too bad since they *appear* to be REAL nice quality cables. Also, the cables my friend had, and the one he gave me were also *low cost* cables, no more than $10/each.
post #3 of 16 Old 11-04-2007, 04:26 PM

Thanks for the heads-up. Amazing. They must be wired wrong.
post #4 of 16 Old 12-26-2007, 09:15 PM

I have a Dell E1705 with DVI output plugged into my 32" Vizio. I purchased the DVI-HDMI cable "cheap version" gold plated whatever off of eBay. It worked fine for a month, then stopped working. I can't get hdmi cables where I live, but it seems to me that the cable is the issue? When i turn the tv on and the input selected is "HDMI1", it will say "retrieving data..." for a few seconds, my laptop will produce sound like when you plug in a USB device, then the tv says there is no signal. It seems as if they are trying make the handshake, or whatever its called, but something has stopped woring. Any ideas?? I'm stumped.
post #5 of 16 Old 12-27-2007, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

Do yourself a favor, throw that cable in the trash and order a new cable (or two) from Monoprice.com Worked for me.

Great cables and low prices. There stuff is the best bang for the buck - period.
post #6 of 16 Old 06-30-2009, 09:21 PM

Bringing the dead back to life!!!!

I am having a similar problem as the original poster. I am getting no signal from either HDMI 1 or 2. Here is my situation...

I have my DVD player hooked-up to HDMI 2 and my DISH ViP622 DVR receiver to HDMI 1, and everything was working fine for about 2.5 years until....

I went away last week and came back to find that neither HDMI inputs were working; I was getting a blue screen for both (just blue screen...doesn't say "no signal"). My DISH receiver was also not working (wouldn't turn on). I found out that a big storm came thru and lightning hit a nearby powerline and knocked out the power to my neighborhood. All of my other components/appliances seem to work fine.

I have been trying to figure this out all nite and tomorrow I am planning on going out and buying new HDMI cables to see if that solves the problem. I also received a new receiver from DISH and although I can't get a signal through either of the HDMI inputs (using the original HDMI cables) on the VIZIO, I can hook it up via the AV1 and AV2 inputs. It appears to be just the HDMI inputs (or cables) that are the problem.

But, while I am in limbo, I thought I would post this to see if anyone else has had a similar problem of if anyone has any advice or suggestions to fix the problem.

Is it possible for a power surge/lighting to "blow" the HDMI cables or the HDMI inputs. Also, both HDMI cables are different brands.

Thanks for any help or advice in advance!

Evan
post #7 of 16 Old 07-01-2009, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Based on what you've tried I'd say something got popped during the storm.

I've had some strange things happen over the years with lighting strikes, two TVs; one lost it's RF tuner and the other had no picture but sound. Had a third TV that wouldn't power up for a day, then magically it worked the next.

Time to call the insurance company!
post #8 of 16 Old 07-26-2009, 04:11 PM

Did you ever fix this problem.

We had a huge storm that hit my house. The dvd player, ps3, says No Signal. Did not if the HDMI had fixed the issue?

The TV works, but the acessories don't seem to work even though I had a surge protector.
post #9 of 16 Old 02-15-2010, 08:35 PM

Im having the same issue. Ive had my Vizio for 3 years now and havent had an issue. Today I just started getting "No Input" from both HDMI ports.

The connections were HDMI1: cable box and HDMI2: PS3 from a 1in 2out powered HDMI splitter. The current setup has been in effect for a few months now and I havent had any issues. The addition of the PS3 was a few months ago so not much really has changed.

Ive swapped the HDMI cables with known working cables and so far Ive gotten the same response. Ive also tried switching what goes in what port and still the same results.

Im at my wits end and Im going to try the suggestion of killing power to the TV and see if that resets it. Hopefully that work, ill keep everyone posted.
post #10 of 16 Old 03-20-2010, 02:29 PM

Half the time I turn on my 42" LCD Vizio I get a blank blue screen (no sound or picture). If I turn it off and wait for the "click" the relay makes (15 seconds) and then turn it on again everything works normally. In an attempt to determine the problem, I switched from the HDMI input to the Component input from my DVR and so far I haven't had any more turn-on problems. Is this just a coincidence, or would a bad HDMI cable cause this? Thanks. - Dave
post #11 of 16 Old 05-31-2011, 08:28 AM

called sony on the issue where my HDMI inputs stopped working (DISH + PS3) during a t-storm. tried a few things that didnt work (but did upgrade to latest SW for my bravia). Then saw this thread and tried it
http://community.us.playstation.com/...rt=45&tstart=0

in short, unplug everything, wait some time (few minutes some say, i went away for the weekend), then replug and it started working for me.
SWEET!
post #12 of 16 Old 08-19-2011, 12:27 PM

My HDMI ports on my Vizio 47 inch TV have gone out a few different time. They are sometimes good for a year other times for a couple months. What causes HDMI ports to go out and How can I stop it from continuing to happen
post #13 of 16 Old 08-19-2011, 12:28 PM

My HDMI ports on my Vizio 47 inch TV have gone out a few different time. They are sometimes good for a year other times for a couple months. What causes HDMI ports to go out and How can I stop it from continuing to happen
post #14 of 16 Old 09-16-2011, 05:28 PM

I had the same issue, my 47" is almost 3 years old. Had a major electrical storm this weekend. Neither 1 or 2 HDMI is working. Had Vizio on the phone and we tried to reset the TV and it did not work. He said it sounded like the HDMI ports had gone bad due to the electial storm. (by the way the coax cable still has TV/Sound, it is just the HDMI not working.

He stated the HDMI was very sensitive and any electrial surge even with protection could short them out. I was given ITI 888-248-2708 for repair. The cost they quoted me was a flat rate $350 no matter the issue. If they can't fix it, cost is $95. Guess I won't get to get a new bigger tv yet...
post #15 of 16 Old 09-17-2011, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA567 View Post

Vizio uses parts from other manufacturers that don't quite meet the manufacturers specs. Vizios specs apparently aren't as tight as others and the HDMI boards seem to be the most problematic. That's why it is so hard at times to get Vizios fixed once they are out of warranty. Parts availability is difficult if not impossible to get. And if you can find parts, it comes back to the quality of the parts that Vizio is going to use.
post #16 of 16 Old 12-16-2011, 02:06 PM

I have a Vizio 32L and run an HDMI and a separate sound cord from my HP Window 7 computer. I can get both the video and the sound to work great, just not at the same time. If I can get video on HDMI 1, sound is on 2, and the opposite. Please help before I go insane.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio Vx32l Hdtv 32 Inch Widescreen Lcd Hdtv

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page