What is banding? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-09-2007, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm new to HDTVs and have started doing some research. I heard that Sharp models have banding issues on some models but I can't seem to find any information on what banding is.

My trusted source, Wikipedia returned this when I search for banding: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colour_banding

Is this the same problem that the Sharp models are having? Does it occur with every video source or just a specific source (Cable/Dish? PS3? X360?)

Also, what Sharp models are affected by banding? The older models or the newer models?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2007, 11:12 AM

Go to a LCD dealer with a DVD of a sky panning camera movement. Pick ANY 42/46/52" Sharp LCD and you'll learn what banding is. It's as simple as that.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenaciousDMAN View Post

I'm new to HDTVs and have started doing some research. I heard that Sharp models have banding issues on some models but I can't seem to find any information on what banding is.

My trusted source, Wikipedia returned this when I search for banding: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colour_banding

Is this the same problem that the Sharp models are having? Does it occur with every video source or just a specific source (Cable/Dish? PS3? X360?)

Also, what Sharp models are affected by banding? The older models or the newer models?

Thanks!

If Wikipedia is your trusted source for, well, anything, I think you need to find another trusted source . As far as your question, that is not the banding problem people face with LCD tvs. The pictures on that page are not the same. Banding is more of an irregularity in the screen's uniformity, either horizontal, vertical, or both. Do a search on the board, as there are some pics here and there if I remember correctly. It does occur with every video source, as it is a problem with the panel, though its appearance does vary with source material. Again, do a search, especially of the Sharps threads, and you should get all of the info you are looking for.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:29 PM

Banding in terms of LCD screens is a panel defect during manufacturing that affects the TV's ability to display a picture. It can be very subtle or very obvious depending on the severity. The best way to see it is to look at an entirely grey screen. Go through the official thread for the Sharp lineup and you'll see photos of tv's asking for banding opinions.

Here's an example of a TV with both horizontal and vertical bands.

My spoon is too big!
Old 11-09-2007, 12:40 PM

I am glad someone did a specific thread about banding, as I am new to HDTV's also and I am not exactly sure what to look for. Seems like there are some very knowlegable people in this forum.

Here is a picture of my Sharp Aquos 32" HDTV.

From the other pictures I have seen, I do not seen what would be termed "Banding". It would be appreciated if some others could look and give an opinion.

Thanks.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioannisds View Post

If Wikipedia is your trusted source for, well, anything, I think you need to find another trusted source .

I was being facetious about Wiki. But thanks to everyone for giving me your feedback on banding. To anyone else, feel free to post your comments!
Old 11-09-2007, 09:26 PM

i am in the same boat with you . i was looking into the BF deals but people are talking about this banding against the Sharps.

thanks for bringing up the question
Old 11-09-2007, 10:54 PM

Also, for those new,

Banding will mostly affect your viewing of pans of largely solid color images. For example, watching a football game, or an ice hockey game, or an underwater scene or a blue sky scene.

I don't know why it bothers my brain alot, but it does. I guess my brain gets thrown off when it see the image moving, but the darker streaks stay stationary. Hopefully, most newer sets don't have it. My old Westinghouse had it. My new Toshiba RF350 does not.

-Jeff
Old 11-09-2007, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

CalmLikeABomb, that just looks like a crappy viewing angle to me. But who knows?
Old 11-09-2007, 11:11 PM

Gradation vs. Banding
Written by xt knight Monday, 30 October 2006

There seems to be a lot of confusion between the two terms gradation and banding. Gradation is when the whole gradient is consistent and each step of color is of equal width. This only makes sense when you have a digital display showing 256 levels of brightness across the width of the screen. It's very common on high-contrast LCDs. While not necessarily ideal, the display is doing what it is told. There is not supposed to be smooth transitions between the color bars, on an LCD or CRT.

When two of the input colors get mapped to the same one on the display, banding occurs. The two colors appear clumped together, or have odd artifacts. Often times the gradient will seem animated while ACM (adaptive contrast) adjusts the screen. Before everyone mislabeled the defect as banding, it actually meant the same thing. Now that everyone refers to it as banding, we might as well try to use a more accurate term to describe a display that doesn't have the problem.

Please don't mix up the terms, and tell others to follow suit, because it's counterproductive when trying to track revisions of LCDs.

Gradation-not banding

Actual banding
(center colors are clumped together/there's an uneven step. Serious banding is much worse than this and occurs over far more tones.)

Source: http://lcdresource.com/index.php?op...id=46&Itemid=36
Old 11-09-2007, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemikeb View Post

CalmLikeABomb, that just looks like a crappy viewing angle to me. But who knows?

Yeah I don't really see any banding like the picture above my original post. I am very happy with the tv so far. We have a small living room so the 32" LC32D62U Sharp Aquos is great for us. Honestly I bought the 1080p version because I thought it was a huge difference in resolution and only $150 more than the 720p model. (I realize now it is a very slight variance, and only at at a closer viewing area. I still like that the tv is has 2000 contrast, and 10,000 dynamic contrast. Thats better than the 720p model.

I am pretty sure there is no visable banding, I was worried because I have heard about the issues with the sharp models. When I am watching HD tv such as Discovery Channel HD, I see no distortion when playing a water scene etc.