Official Polaroid TLX-04240B (42" 1080p LCD) Owner's Thread - Page 11 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #301 of 326 Old 01-12-2009, 04:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
superhighgain,

Good to hear this worked for you! I'm still curious to see if anyone else can reproduce this effect. But at least now I know it's not just me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 326 Old 01-20-2009, 11:55 AM

For DTV via antenna, does this TV work as is, or am I going to need a converter box for it? (if already answered somewhere, please give pointer) THX
post #303 of 326 Old 01-20-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripo View Post

For DTV via antenna, does this TV work as is ... ?

Yes, it has an ATSC tuner, as do all TVs of this size manufactured in or imported into the U.S. since July 1st, 2005. Just connect your antenna to the coax "F" connector on the back of the TV, and let it automatically discover all the channels it's possible for it to receive.

--
WB
post #304 of 326 Old 01-20-2009, 12:39 PM

Great. Thanks for the quick reply.
Next question, I am looking at RCA ANT1450 or such.
Is there a pointer for antenna ratings, or what has been folks experiences with antennas (attached to this brand of tv)? THX
post #305 of 326 Old 02-11-2009, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripo View Post

I am looking at RCA ANT1450 or such. Is there a pointer for antenna ratings

None that I know of. However, take a look at this thread. Also, look up at the top of the web page you are reading this on, find the Google Search AVS box, type over the air antennas in it, and click on Search. Read away!

--
WB
post #306 of 326 Old 05-23-2009, 10:22 AM

Hey everybody! I'm new to the forum thing myself and have a problem I'm hoping someone can help with. I purchased the Polaroid TLX-04240b 42" t.v. a little over a year ago on black friday from walmart. After I got everything hooked up i noticed one stuck red pixel on the screen. Angry of course that my new investment had a flaw right out of the box but wasn't extremely concerned as I'm 19 years old and just excited to have this beast sitting in my room. The red pixel still remains but i have a bigger problem now. A few months ago i was watching a show and a pinkish/red hue took over the screen(almost like a glare). i could still see the show fine but its got this red glare to it. During the first stages it would come and go with no pattern. sometimes it would be perfect for weeks and then do it again. Now it stays this way all the time. I've tried adjusting the regular and factory settings. Nothing works. I'm sure that it's the t.v. because no matter if I'm watching directv, a DVD, or playing my 360 it still does the same thing. Has anyone had this problem? Can it be fixed cheap? Should I throw it out the window, set in on fire, and put out the flames with a baseball bat?
post #307 of 326 Old 06-24-2009, 08:02 PM

What it iz all.

From what I've read across the world wide web, many people have had the problem of the picture going black, but the sound still on. I've had this same problem.

So in looking around for replacement backlight inverter boards, I've found none for the TLX-04240B (200-000-IP0S250-S1DH). However I did find some for the TLX-04243B & TLX-04244B. Does anyone know if these will work in a TLX-04240B???

Thanks for all the info,

M
post #308 of 326 Old 07-12-2009, 11:52 AM

My TLX-04240B is doing the same thing. I saw some parts listed on shopjimmy.com but I am not sure what I need.

Any suggestions
post #309 of 326 Old 08-27-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigninaross View Post

What it iz all.

From what I've read across the world wide web, many people have had the problem of the picture going black, but the sound still on. I've had this same problem.

So in looking around for replacement backlight inverter boards, I've found none for the TLX-04240B (200-000-IP0S250-S1DH). However I did find some for the TLX-04243B & TLX-04244B. Does anyone know if these will work in a TLX-04240B???

Thanks for all the info,

M

I have read everything I can find on the net about this "screen goes blank but the sound still works" problem for Polaroid TLX 04240b TVs (most, like mine, bought from Wal-Mart on Black Friday). I thought I was on a hot lead when I changed a 220uF 450v capacitor, but I still had the same problem. I saw a short post from somewhere on the Fixya web site (sometimes I can find it again and sometimes I have trouble locating it) that said someone flipped a tiny switch on their circuit board and the problem was gone. I did the same thing and my set has been working fine. They had said their set was on for over 8 hours two days in a row when they posted. The other night my daughter left our set on over night for 20 hours and the picture still was working great. A neighbor also flipped the switch and his set is also working fine again.
If your problem is the exact same as mine when you look through the top of the set when the picture is on you can see some white light at several locations, when the screen goes blank the white lights go out and a red LED light can be seen. If you take off the plastic cover on the back (3 screws) and then take off the metal cover (3 screws) this red LED light is on the upper circuit board in the lower left corner. Just a little to the right of the LED light is a small switch block that has 4 tiny white switches. (dip switches?) I turned my set off and took the bottom switch (#4 and had the letters BURN by it) to the right "ON" position, turned the set back on and, so far so good. I saw where someone else said that they took the 2 bottom switches to on and that worked for them. PLEASE NOTE!!! I know almost nothing about how transistor circuits work. I have no idea what the switches do or what long term effect this might have on the set. The set was only good as a paperweight before so even if this only fixes the set for a short time it was at least worth a try for me. Hope this helps.
Does anyone know what those switches are supposed to be for? The top switch is labeled 40", the second is 46", the third is 4 letters WPMW or something like that, and the bottom one is BURN. All 4 were in the off position from the factory.
post #310 of 326 Old 09-11-2009, 09:04 AM

I'm hoping the knowledgeable techies can chime in on this one. Any and all advice will be taken with an "at my own risk" caveat. "Nuff said. We have had no problems since our original purchase about a year and a half ago. We came back from vacation and the guy we had watching the house said "the TV quit". What I get is a logo screen that looks like a thin line where the "P" in polaroid should be. When the picture comes on, I get colored static that seems to be whizzing by real fast vertically. I can get it to do nothing else. Will replacing the "module" (the PCB's I assume) solve this? Can any or all give links or advice on what to replace and where to get it? I did NOT buy the extended warantee and would be financing any repairs.

Thanks for any help in advance,

Rick Doppler
post #311 of 326 Old 09-15-2009, 07:56 PM

Well, I pulled the main board assembly out and when I reseated it back in it started working again!! Maybe there was a loose cable or some such. But now there is another nuisance that has cropped up. The board P/N and serial number are on the upper left hand of the screen ALL THE TIME!!! I cannot figure out how to turn them off! Any clues crew?
post #312 of 326 Old 09-17-2009, 08:41 AM

not sure what im doing, but im looking for a replacemnt panel for my polaroid 42inch tlx4240b any help would be greatly appreciated my 6 year old hit the screen with the wii remote 3 months after we purchased it.
post #313 of 326 Old 10-28-2009, 08:59 AM

Im new to these boards. I've been reading and searching on how to fix my tv. I have the Polaroid TLX-04240B TV from walmart that I also bought on Black Friday of 2007 like most of others on here. So heres whats happening.

Yesterday I was playing my xbox 360. Turn it off to go to work. TV then froze up and couldnt power it off. The screen was still lite up with a few lines across the top 1/4 of the screen. Blue light was on indicating it still had power. Pulled plug and plugged it back in cause the power button wouldnt turn it off, turned it on and nothing other the the blue light. Wouldnt power off again(had to pull the plug). Tried the switches on the board. First time I did just the #4(burn) switch. Hooked everything back up and tv worked fine. Went to turn it off and back on and got nothing but the blue light again. So tired #3 and #4. Worked fine. Turned it on and off and then back on. Figured it was good to go. Hooked everything back up and turned it back on and got just the blue light again. Tried resetting the switched and nothing has change.

Any advice before I try to get a repair man to fix it?
Also I found a new control box but for the price of it I might as well buy a new tv.
post #314 of 326 Old 12-28-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhighgain View Post

digbob,

Indeed, the "OK" button does fix the overscan issue on a 1080p source. At least, I have tried it with a blu-ray player that also upconverts dvds to 1080p as well, and it works.

Thanks a bunch!!! Great find.

I have not tested it through my PC since I have moved the TV further away, and it only works for 1080p - no other type of source. But still, great info. Maybe little by little, we'll start finding out more about these sets...

Doesn't work for me for some reason. I'm feeding a 1920x1080P signal from my computer over DVI-to-HDMI (input 6). The picture is cropped by quite a bit.

Pressing OK seems to do nothing. Maybe it's my remote? The model# on the back of my remote is: RC-103

Does anyone have any additional advice? BTW, I have 1 week on my TV with the BURN switch fix! Thanks for the help.

Thanks again,

--Fnz
post #315 of 326 Old 01-09-2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaaaaaaa View Post

Doesn't work for me for some reason. I'm feeding a 1920x1080P signal from my computer over DVI-to-HDMI (input 6). The picture is cropped by quite a bit.

Pressing OK seems to do nothing. Maybe it's my remote? The model# on the back of my remote is: RC-103

Does anyone have any additional advice? BTW, I have 1 week on my TV with the BURN switch fix! Thanks for the help.

Thanks again,

--Fnz

Anyone?
post #316 of 326 Old 01-12-2010, 11:03 PM

I have had this tv since11/07 and noticed it has developed a case of grey/black streaks on the screen. These go up and down on the screen. Has anyone noticed this on their set?
post #317 of 326 Old 05-14-2010, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmc View Post

I have read everything I can find on the net about this "screen goes blank but the sound still works" problem for Polaroid TLX 04240b TVs (most, like mine, bought from Wal-Mart on Black Friday). I thought I was on a hot lead when I changed a 220uF 450v capacitor, but I still had the same problem. I saw a short post from somewhere on the Fixya web site (sometimes I can find it again and sometimes I have trouble locating it) that said someone flipped a tiny switch on their circuit board and the problem was gone. I did the same thing and my set has been working fine. They had said their set was on for over 8 hours two days in a row when they posted. The other night my daughter left our set on over night for 20 hours and the picture still was working great. A neighbor also flipped the switch and his set is also working fine again.
If your problem is the exact same as mine when you look through the top of the set when the picture is on you can see some white light at several locations, when the screen goes blank the white lights go out and a red LED light can be seen. If you take off the plastic cover on the back (3 screws) and then take off the metal cover (3 screws) this red LED light is on the upper circuit board in the lower left corner. Just a little to the right of the LED light is a small switch block that has 4 tiny white switches. (dip switches?) I turned my set off and took the bottom switch (#4 and had the letters BURN by it) to the right "ON" position, turned the set back on and, so far so good. I saw where someone else said that they took the 2 bottom switches to on and that worked for them. PLEASE NOTE!!! I know almost nothing about how transistor circuits work. I have no idea what the switches do or what long term effect this might have on the set. The set was only good as a paperweight before so even if this only fixes the set for a short time it was at least worth a try for me. Hope this helps.
Does anyone know what those switches are supposed to be for? The top switch is labeled 40", the second is 46", the third is 4 letters WPMW or something like that, and the bottom one is BURN. All 4 were in the off position from the factory.

This was the ticket, I can't thank you enough! My TV has been working perfectly since doing this!

The cool thing is, for some reason I purchased the $50 warranty on this when I purchased it on Black Friday...which I never do! So they sent a tech out and he looked at it and he said my TV is toast. I received a full refund so I figured what the hay...I'll take it apart and perform the above procedure. Long story short...free TV!!!!!!!!!
post #318 of 326 Old 05-28-2010, 03:33 PM

Does anybody know the size of the screws that are used to attach the TV to its stand? I lost them a long time ago but now I need them. xD
post #319 of 326 Old 11-02-2010, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudd274 View Post

I have had this tv since11/07 and noticed it has developed a case of grey/black streaks on the screen. These go up and down on the screen. Has anyone noticed this on their set?

Yes I have them also. It's like some kind of burn in. I have cable and flip to the guide frequently and I believe this is some kind of burn in.
post #320 of 326 Old 12-16-2010, 11:07 AM

I know this is an old thread but does anyone have a proper code to program a DTV remote. The listed codes do not work on this thread so any help would be appreciated.

Jack
post #321 of 326 Old 12-20-2010, 07:10 PM

So no one has figured out the HDMI signal loss yet?

I have the TLX-04244b, purchased Black Friday '08 (I think), and have gone through two computers and three different graphics cards, yet with each iteration there is intermittent signal loss through the HDMI connection. The picture is just fine through VGA, but I'd rather use HDMI for convenience.

I've changed refreshed rates, synced up resolutions, changed HDMI cords... no dice.

If anyone ever figures this out, I'd be super grateful.
post #322 of 326 Old 01-13-2011, 10:51 PM

Okay, so I have the Polaroid TLX-04243B. When I first got it, I had no issues with it. Then about 2 months, my ps3 started to have overscan issues. Then one time it miraculously fixed itself... after I turned it off and back on, I'm back to the same old overscan problems. It cuts off on all 4 sides. I use an HDMI Cable to connect, and 1080p resolution.

Can anyone help me?

I was wondering if there was anything I could do to fix this in the service menu... but I also can't figure out how to access it.
post #323 of 326 Old 02-16-2012, 10:17 AM

like much of you it was bought on black friday ,had this problem for the last month, sound but the no picture id turn it off then on again and it would come back on [the picture that is]then 2 days ago it stop coming on so i surfed and surfed the net and i found this page so i took it apart today and cleaned it out [dust and stuff] and followed this ,the Orange (reddish) DIP switch
Just a little to the right of the LED light is a small switch block that has 4 tiny white switches. I turned my set off and took the bottom switch (#4 and had the letters BURN by it) to the right "ON" position, turned the set back on and, so far so good.ill check back in a month or so if its still working
post #324 of 326 Old 06-18-2012, 11:44 PM

HDMI Input jacks are broken: My Polaroid TLX-04243B is about 3.5 years old. About 1 year ago one of my HDMI input jacks stopped working and after last night with thunderstorm & lighting the second one is also gone. I have tried several cables with several sources but none of the HDMI jacks is working. Right now I have hooked up my Tivo with a component cable but the resolution of 480i is unbearable frown.gif Questions: 1) is it possible to achieve a higher resolution thru other inputs? 2) is it possible to find replacement parts and replace the HDMI input component somehow?
Thanks in Advance
post #325 of 326 Old 08-26-2012, 02:14 PM

THANKS, Yep p this fixed my Poloriod TLX-0424oB 42" 1080 clicked the 4th white switch labled BURN in the (little red panel box about 3/4" High and 1/2 inch wide). to on position , at first it did nothing then I unplugged everthing and repeated the process of turning the switch on and it WORKS just fine ......
post #326 of 326 Old 11-25-2012, 09:21 PM

I've tried the "switching all 4 to on" but still only get sound, black screen remains. Any ideas?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Polaroid , Polaroid 42 Inch Tlx 04240b , Displays , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page