Official Polaroid TLX-04240B (42" 1080p LCD) Owner's Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 326 Old 11-26-2007, 11:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by electron5 View Post

Does anyone else's seem to tilt forward from the top slightly when mounted on the included stand? Is this dangerous?

Yes, it does. No, it's not dangerous. Few models, even the very high-end ones, actually sit up exactly straight, even those with a (more) rigid metal stand. However, I would check that you have the stand screwed on flush with the back of the unit. A common mistake is not to get the tiny key at the top of the stand in the slot for it, and screw the stand down at an off angle to begin with. Even so, this is probably not dangerous, because the center of gravity is still well over the stand itself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 326 Old 11-26-2007, 12:17 PM

^^ I was also impressed with the "beefiness" of the stand.
post #93 of 326 Old 11-26-2007, 12:31 PM

Mine doesn't lean forward at all.
post #94 of 326 Old 11-26-2007, 01:47 PM

Mine looks like it does...but, then I looked at it from the side and it looked pretty even...don't know why it seems tilted a little...
post #95 of 326 Old 11-26-2007, 02:29 PM

I got this the other morning too. I wasn't going to buy this one but the idea of 1080P for the money won me over. I have two Hitachi HD RPTV's that were the standard a few years ago. I never felt that the LCD TV's (or most of the plasmas for that matter) have a better picture. I also watch my brother's two Olevia LCD's every weekend during the Sunday Tiket. I have to say I am impressed with this model up against anything I'm used to watching (and I paid about half as much as I did for the older Hitachis).

I had to adjust the picture settings OOB, but not by much. I hooked up cable through component only and it looks great on the HD channels (1080i). I watched a couple DVD's with my old Pioneer 480P player and they were decent. I haven't hooked up my Sammy upconverter because I don't have a DVI-HDMI adapter (the Hitachi TV's have DVI, not HDMI).

I hooked up my laptop to the VGA and it looked good, but I didn't bother to check the resolution. Also, SD channels are watchable but not great whereas on the Hitachi TV's they are barely watchable.

All in all, I can't complain for the money. I like it and I think it has better sound than the older Hitachi too. If anyone is looking for a replacement for an older CRT RPTV that takes up a whole lot less space, I definitely recommend this one so far. I can't wait to see something in full 1080P.

Red sky at night . . .
post #96 of 326 Old 11-26-2007, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkcawcutt View Post

Will be purchasing component cables shortly. Wish they'd release a HDMI for the Wii.

OVERALL: very pleased with the tv. For the pricecan't go wrong.

Mine came with a set of componet and audio RCA cables.
post #97 of 326 Old 11-26-2007, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupi1 View Post

Mine came with a set of componet and audio RCA cables.

Come to think of it I should check my WII boxthought I remembered seeing component as well.
post #98 of 326 Old 11-26-2007, 05:51 PM

I was looking to buy the Vizio 42" HDTV when I noticed this new model. The specs say the width of this TV is 41.43" Is that accurate? The space I have available is only 41". (The Vizio specs say it is 40.5" wide which will fit where I need it to go...)
post #99 of 326 Old 11-26-2007, 06:11 PM

I just bought one of these as well. Tried out the VGA input, and had the same issue with black bars on the sides of the screen when in 1920x1080.... It's like the desktop is in a 4:3 aspect ratio. Has anyone figured out how to get this to work properly in 1080p mode on a computer? I'm going to be pretty disappointed if there's no way to do it....

Just to add, though, other than this one issue I'm pretty darn happy!
post #100 of 326 Old 11-26-2007, 08:25 PM

For the price, this tv can't be beat. As i broke college student, (and employee of wallymart for 3 weeks) this set only cost me 696$ after my 20% holiday employee coupon. I dare anyone to show me a better 42in 1080p lcd for the price. I also purchased the Magnavox 1080p Upconverting DVD Player (BDP170MW8) for 29.98. When i get my hdmi cable in from monoprice I will give you info about PQ
post #101 of 326 Old 11-26-2007, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post

I was looking to buy the Vizio 42" HDTV when I noticed this new model. The specs say the width of this TV is 41.43" Is that accurate? The space I have available is only 41". (The Vizio specs say it is 40.5" wide which will fit where I need it to go...)

tmiranda just measured it. haha 41 & 3/16" (41.1875). So it's just shy of over 41"
post #102 of 326 Old 11-26-2007, 08:42 PM

So far, I have about 200 hours on the set with no issues at all.
Broadcast and cable HD look good. However, a quality HD-DVD or Blu-ray movie look incredible on this set.

Anyhow, for Closed captioned issues, try killing them in your cable box. The only time I can adjust them on the tv is when I am using a ota raw signal with all the information included.
With the digital cable, I have to turn them on or off via the cable box.

I have confirmed this on not only my Polaroid set, but also my Hitachi and Sony sets.
Hope that helps.
post #103 of 326 Old 11-26-2007, 08:45 PM

Hello folks

I recently picked up the Polaroid FLM-4324BH on an open-box clearance item from Circuit City. It has the exact same specifications as the TLX-04240B.

No matter what I do in Powerstrip, I get the same outcome as many of you are seeing. DVI-HDMI or VGA results in 1080i with very minimal overscan but the picture is just too blurry to be usable. The bad thing is that 1280x720p and 1366x768p is razor sharp, very usable. But I bought the monitor for 1920x1080 for dual use with PC/HDTV.

I will be interested in seeing what you guys find out. I may be returning the unit if I can't get 1:1 pixel matching in 1080p.
post #104 of 326 Old 11-26-2007, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wermerskoch View Post

Has anyone figured out how to get this to work properly in 1080p mode on a computer? I'm going to be pretty disappointed if there's no way to do it....

Yes, but you are going to need to download a copy of PowerStrip
Code:
www.entechtaiwan.com/util/ps.shtm
to do it and it requires some tweaking to make it look decent. Also, use the VGA input. HDMI was nearly impossible for me to do anything with.

WARNING: If you are not comfortable tweaking video setups, you should not do this. It's possible to hose your setup so that you can't see what you are doing, even to try to fix it. At minimum, you may need to boot in safe mode, roll back your system or worse in order to recover from a problem.

You will need to use an existing monitor .inf file that supports the 1920x1080 resolution, assuming your graphics card already does. You can also create one from within PowerStrip.

Then you'll need to add one of the stock resolution settings. 1920x1080p @60hz is a good place to start. Assuming all goes well, you should get a little box from the TV saying that it is in the proper display mode. Then use the TV remote to go to the VGA settings and hit the auto setup function. If it doesn't go full-screen, then you'll need to tweak the parameters or expand the screen some before using the auto setup function of the TV again. If you try to go too far, it will go out of range and you'll lose the picture. If you're lucky, you can just hit ESC and start over. Otherwise, you'll need to reboot to get your video back.

My settings are shown in the attachment.

After fiddling with this for hours, I was able to get a nice looking screen that went from edge to edge, and while not "1:1 pixel perfect" even very small text is not bad and very readable. In fact, I'm using it right now while writing this post. Everything else looks great.

But after all of this, I have decided that WallyWorld will be seeing this unit again. I bought it primarily as a computer monitor and even though I have tweaked things to the point where they are acceptable, it will haunt me knowing how much better it should look. The HDMI->DVI doesn't work well for me at all, meaning that I am fortunate even to get a picture. I never got far in tweaking that method at all.

So hopefully this info will get some of you heading in the right direction to get a usable computer display. Me, I'll be waiting for the 42" Westinghouse 1080p unit I just ordered to arrive. Supposedly 1:1 capable over HDMI with little fuss. And thanks to the cyber monday deals, it won't cost me very much more at all.
LL
post #105 of 326 Old 11-26-2007, 09:53 PM

Thanks Randy. I'm gonna give it a try tomorrow.

Just as an FYI for power strip users. If you ever get stuck in an undisplayable mode, press CTRL-ALT-S and it will return you to the default safe setting, 1280x720 in my case.
post #106 of 326 Old 11-26-2007, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post

the specs are close to correct. the TV is 41 3/8in wide.
post #107 of 326 Old 11-27-2007, 10:32 AM

I returned my tv to Walmart last night and went through a HUGE hassle. They apparently had none in the two stores I went to in San Diego. I asked if they could order one from the warehouse or whatever since I saw the tv online at walmart.com. They looked, found it, and talked it over and are calling me this morning letting me know if I can exchange it for the same price since it was a "one time deal", or get a credit on my account and buy something else. The employees and asst manager said the manager will let me, they just HAVE to get his approval before they can officially order it. So, I am waiting for a call. If I do get approved, it will take about a week.

Don't let your tv's F up like mine did.
post #108 of 326 Old 11-27-2007, 10:52 AM

Someone else said on here that LCD's have the tendency to just be dead pretty early on after purchase. I've experienced the black screen and had to unplug/replug the HDMI cables and reboot the TV to get it to come back up. Its working fine now and has been for 2 days but I'm nervous it's going to do it again and with my luck it will happen after the return period has expired.

Should I take it back?

Proud founder of Young Go Getter
post #109 of 326 Old 11-27-2007, 11:13 AM

Did you buy the 3 year warranty? I think it's 3 years, and was only $60. Better than being out a $800 tv.
post #110 of 326 Old 11-27-2007, 11:37 AM

I stated earlier in the thread what the porch values and the driver I am using to get 1080P from the PC. This is via a VGA cable to the TV. I used Powerstrip to get the values and then used them in the Nvidia driver panel with great success.

Read the thread for the specific values..

MAK
post #111 of 326 Old 11-27-2007, 11:38 AM

Picked up one at Walmart, it is in hiding though, to be brought out Christmas Morning. My Q is this, is there any parental control on the TV? I am talking being able lock kids out at times when I don't want them to be tempted to watch TV rather then do their homework? (I know, I should be a better parent, and just be able to tell them "no" and they should obey. I get that, hold the parental flames for "www.Iamabetterparentthenyou.com")

I will be running it off a set of rabbit ears, so no cable box. If there is not a full lock-out, can you set the parental control (V-chip?) so they can only see kiddie shows (they are teenagers, and limiting them to that would be pretty much as good as locking them out.
post #112 of 326 Old 11-27-2007, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahlua View Post

My screen just went black.....I turn it off and on and it goes half black then fully black. Are you kidding me?!?!?!??!

I purchased the 42" Polaroid at Walmart at 5:00 AM last Saturday and retuned it by 10:00 AM. I set it up, picture looks great, then my elbow hit the back right side of the TV, not very hard at all, the screen went black and never came back. I could get sound only. Walmart is trying to get me a replacement TV. I've looked and can't find a 42" with 1080P anywhere close to the Walmart black Friday price.
post #113 of 326 Old 11-27-2007, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerxnet View Post

I stated earlier in the thread what the porch values and the driver I am using to get 1080P from the PC. This is via a VGA cable to the TV. I used Powerstrip to get the values and then used them in the Nvidia driver panel with great success.

Read the thread for the specific values..

MAK

Odd. I was tweaking all over the place and ended up with the same values. I still see some vertical lines that are obviously crossing boundaries, so I think the magic numbers may still not have been found. I just gave up because it's going back

But looking back, you left out the fact that that it is absolutely imperative to go back into the menus and do the VGA "Auto Adjust" after making a change. The TV resizes and moves the image based on the scan parameters, so failing to do so will just lead to confusion and space left on the sides of the image no matter what you do in PowerStrip.

Sorry if the post was redundant.
post #114 of 326 Old 11-27-2007, 03:14 PM

OH MY GOD. I will NEVER shop at Walmart AGAIN!

I just went in, after the manager DID not call me. Noone had any idea what was going on. Had to explain story 500 times. They said NONE in stock, so can't do that, and they won't send it to "warehouse" or whatever and get replacement or "they" lose the $200 since it is now $900 and some. The asst manager on the pho. ne said "give her a giftcard" I said FALSE get the manager up here now. So he came, was an IDIOT, and told me no they can't exchange it from warehouse.

WHY can't they do that? It is same as if it was in store. Send it in, send me new tv. I am FURIOUS.
post #115 of 326 Old 11-27-2007, 04:43 PM

Why a gift card? Didnt you have a receipt? I say get a full refund and wait for the next one to go on sale, or go to Samsclub and get a 42" Vizio 720 P for a $100 more.
post #116 of 326 Old 11-27-2007, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post

I purchased the 42" Polaroid at Walmart at 5:00 AM last Saturday and retuned it by 10:00 AM. I set it up, picture looks great, then my elbow hit the back right side of the TV, not very hard at all, the screen went black and never came back. I could get sound only. Walmart is trying to get me a replacement TV. I've looked and can't find a 42" with 1080P anywhere close to the Walmart black Friday price.

Thanks for the headsup. I just finished slapping the crap out of the back of my set...I wanted to make sure if it's gunna die, it'll do it while I can still return it to the store.
post #117 of 326 Old 11-27-2007, 05:07 PM

I had mine bounce around in the trunk of my car for the 6.5 hr drive home...and I hit some potholes where I could here the tv jump and bump around....glad it's working for me...
post #118 of 326 Old 11-27-2007, 05:09 PM

lol. Did anyone purchase the service plan for this? what does it cover?
post #119 of 326 Old 11-27-2007, 05:11 PM

Does anyone know if you can purchase a service plan post-purchase? Got mine yesterday, and kind of wish I did the service plan.
post #120 of 326 Old 11-27-2007, 05:32 PM

you probably can take your receipt to customer service and add it on. Has anyone seen this set with an upconverted dvd?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Polaroid , Polaroid 42 Inch Tlx 04240b , Displays , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 04240b by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page