Official Polaroid TLX-04240B (42" 1080p LCD) Owner's Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-30-2007, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by wermerskoch View Post

I just managed to get 1080p easily out of my computer! I went into the nvidia control panel (oh, I'm using an nvidia GPU, btw..), and set it to allow me to see unsupported video modes. I then changed resolution to 1920x1080, and (this is the important part) set the refresh rate to 50Hz. That's it! It switched right to a full-screen 1080p desktop. You can change these settings without having an nvidia card (in your display properties by right-clicking on the desktop, clicking properties, then clicking on advanced in the settings tab) -- I just did it in the nvidia control panel because it allows you to change the refresh rate and resolution before commiting the changes. Hope this helps some people. I'm going to try using power strip to bump up the refresh rate as far as I can before it goes back to shrinking the desktop...

VGA or DVI/HDMI connection between your nvidia and TV?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2007, 03:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
VGA. Sorry, should have posted that.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:36 PM

Alright guys, I'm wondering if I should give up on this TV.. The first one I had had a problem with the backlight (a dark bar would appear horizontally about 2/3 up the screen -- most noticable using a VGA cable, for some reason). So I returned it earlier today. I just set up the new one. It looked great for about 5 minutes, at which point the colors got all scrambled (it looked like rainbow snow... kind of pretty, actually..), and there was a loud buzzing noise coming out of the speakers. The power button wouldn't turn it off, so I unplugged it. Now it's dead -- the power LED turns red when you plug it in but the remote, and power buttons do nothing to awake it. Should I jump ship, and wait for another good deal? Who all has had severe problems with theirs?
Old 11-30-2007, 09:24 PM

if anyone is wanting to jump ship on this tv, I hear wal-mart is going to have a 50" visio on sale during one of their secret sales in the coming weeks. I myself am thinking about doing it....
Old 11-30-2007, 10:12 PM
gm8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wermerskoch View Post

I just managed to get 1080p easily out of my computer! I went into the nvidia control panel (oh, I'm using an nvidia GPU, btw..), and set it to allow me to see unsupported video modes. I then changed resolution to 1920x1080, and (this is the important part) set the refresh rate to 50Hz. That's it! It switched right to a full-screen 1080p desktop. You can change these settings without having an nvidia card (in your display properties by right-clicking on the desktop, clicking properties, then clicking on advanced in the settings tab) -- I just did it in the nvidia control panel because it allows you to change the refresh rate and resolution before commiting the changes. Hope this helps some people. I'm going to try using power strip to bump up the refresh rate as far as I can before it goes back to shrinking the desktop...
Warner

Thanks, this worked for me too! My ATI advanced properties wouldn't let me access the 50 Hz refresh rate, but I eventually found Powerstrip at http://www.entechtaiwan.net/util/ps.shtm -- I had never used this utility before, but I simply selected Advanced Timing Options, Custom Resolutions, 1920x1080p 50 Hz (EIA/CEA-861B), and Add new resolution. The picture then widened to fill the entire LCD without any black borders. Even going through the Polaroid's VGA port, the 1080p 50 Hz mode looks very sharp--I'm using it as a computer monitor right now, and the text is quite readable!
Old 11-30-2007, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8rod View Post

Wow, you work at Wal-Mart and was off on Black Friday? Thats amazing. Or maybe you did not get the set until saturday or after you got off Friday... Still amazing non the less. My wal mart had like 7 sets. And they let people start taking them at 0430. What a crock. All of the "The sell starts and 5" was a load of crap.

No wasn't off. Didn't have to work til 8am so drug myself in there at 5, and was dog tired already cause I got dragged into going to a Value City an hour away cause their sale started at midnight. Wow you guys only got 7. Our store got 43. I was more surprised of the lack of small sets myself. Usually we have so many smaller sets (32" and under) they last for weeks, but we only got 22 of the of 32" and 11 of the 26" sets. The 32" was gone pretty much instantly but somehow the 26" almost lasted til we sold our 42" about 5pm that day. Luckily, we got 2 in on returns unopened so that was one of the ones I switched it for, but I don't know how I luck I really am since this one has stuck pixels too *sigh*. At least these pixels aren't as noticeable, They are actually black when it's black, but when the screen shows white they look purple and it drives me crazy knowing they are there.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:40 PM

One week and it's still looking good...watching the college football games in HD right now...hope everyone's having good luck with their tv...I read Polaroid was the 5th largest lcd maker in the world...didn't know that...
Old 12-02-2007, 06:18 PM

Has anyone made any changes to the advanced menu options? I know you can get to this menu by pressing the channel down and volume down buttons at the same time. I saw on the walmart.com website that someone wrote a review that included some advised changes.
The review stated: "Under the display section, consider turning off the CTI and Flesh Tone settings. Also, turn the backlight down to 85%. Under Advance section, turn off Adaptive Luma Control and turn on White Peak Limiter and Blue Mute. As an additional item, you might consider turning the Black Level Extender on under the display section. You may exit the menu, but the software version remains written in the upper left hand corner. To remove this text, I have found that you must turn the TV off and then back on."
I found that these changes improved the picture, but I'm not sure what any of the settings in the advanced menu are actually supposed to do.
Has anyone else tried anything like this?
Old 12-02-2007, 09:17 PM

Can someone who owns this Polaroid 42" 1080p please do me a favor and measure the width of the base and also measure the entire TV width (not screen but the sides of the TV). I'd really apppreciated it!
Old 12-02-2007, 09:39 PM

Base is 18" wide in front, 15" wide in back and about 9 1/2 deep

TV itself is 41 1/4" wide

Sits 31" tall
Old 12-02-2007, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupi1 View Post

Base is 18" wide in front, 15" wide in back and about 9 1/2 deep

TV itself is 41 1/4" wide

Sits 31" tall

Awesome, thanks!!
Old 12-02-2007, 11:19 PM

Ive had about two weeks on this set and it def has its pros and cons. Cons: I have noticed three stuck pixels on my set, no matter what I do to change the settings, the picture looks green.
Hd upconversion does not make a bg diff and this set. Pros: Looks amazing in HD and you can't beat the price. I would list more but I'm typing from my new iPod touch : )
Old 12-03-2007, 06:09 AM

Anyone try the advance settings?
Old 12-03-2007, 05:01 PM

I'm afraid to try those advance settings...don't want to mess with the tv yet...
Old 12-03-2007, 05:04 PM

Quote:

I'm afraid to try those advance settings...don't want to mess with the tv yet...

The settings seem quite harmless (Though I'm not sure what a couple of them are) - It's not like a service menu where you're working with codes, it's just basically another page of the Menu.

I've gone with the above suggestions and things look a little better, I think. I still need to go through with Avia again to confirm the Saturation/Hue, however. The biggest change was the backlight setting. The TV used to almost light-up the bedroom and now it's not quite as "loud."

Shining the flashlight of reason into the dark corners of stupidity for over three and a half decades!
ccie.tv
Old 12-03-2007, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddie View Post

The settings seem quite harmless (Though I'm not sure what a couple of them are) - It's not like a service menu where you're working with codes, it's just basically another page of the Menu.

I've gone with the above suggestions and things look a little better, I think. I still need to go through with Avia again to confirm the Saturation/Hue, however. The biggest change was the backlight setting. The TV used to almost light-up the bedroom and now it's not quite as "loud."

So you've done these settings and everything's alright? Let me know what you're saturation/hue settings are also...hmm..might give this a try later...do you start with the tv off and press vol/chan or tv on?
Old 12-03-2007, 10:02 PM

Hi. I've been lurking on the thread and reading it ever since buying a TLX-04240B at the day after Thanksgiving sale and just wanted to post a question and a couple of opinions.

First, some backstory.

I did not intend to get this set. My wife had sent me to the sales at Meijer and she was going to Walmart so I told her while she was there to pick up the 32" TV they had on sale for $445.

When I got there after accomplishing my mission at Meijers I saw that the set was tagged as a 32" but was a 27" with built in DVD. I told her not to worry as I'd passed a pallet of 32's on the way in and I'd just go swap it. When I got it there I saw that ALL the TV's were 27" with built in DVD and were tagged and signed as 32's.

I pointed this out to the kid on duty he looked at me blankly (to be fair he'd probably had no more sleep than I did) and said "Yeah... That's probably a mistake."

"OK" said I. "Do you have any of the 32's here?"

"Um" Said he. "I'd have to look......"

"Well could you"? said I.

"OK" said he. Glances around. "Nope, we must be sold out".

At this point I put the TV back and went looking for the manager to complain, not about the associate but about the pricing mistake.

When I saw her I asked her how many she had sold to people thinking they were getting 32's. I swear to God the poor kid turned white when she realised what had happened and she literally kicked the 32" sign in front of the TVs 8 feet. She told me she was very sorry and what could she do to make it up to me.

I knew the 32s were gone so I very nicely said she could sell me the 42" TV for the price of the 32.

She allowed how she liked my accent so much (Australian) that she would do that for me.

And that is how I got my Polaroid TV.

Actually reading over this I realise I didn't need to give backstory, I guess I just wanted to brag.

OK. My observation is this:

This is a helluva TV for the money.

Had I known how much I was going to love this TV I would have ponied up the dough and just bought it anyway. Luckily I have had no problems like those listed in the forum at all and I would like to point out to people reading this forum that most people only come to these forums when they're having a problem, so what you're reading is probably not representative of the majority of TV owners.

My picture is sharp and clear on the HD channels I have and looks crappy on the regular channels but, so does it on my brother in laws Sony plasma and the plasma TV at work. My pixels are all good and no backlight issues. (for the record I have basic cable and run all the rest of my stuff into the TV through the s-video connection through my Onkyo receiver).

Another observation: I work with a guy who is a music enthusiast. I can listen to an MP3 recorded at 256kbs and to me it sounds the same as an MP3 recorded at a much higher rate, or 128 and a much higher rate, something like that.

My point is, that a lot ofthe people bagging this TV may actually see a perceptable difference between this TV and a TV from a better known brand, but that doesn't mean you will.

If you are an expert or even a strong enthusiast you can get hung up on differences undetectable to the layman. Doesn't mean they're not there, but are you going to notice them.

In short, got a hell of a deal and loving every minute of it.

Now my question:

I have this plugged into Comcast basic. So basic they don't even have it posted on their site. Mostly just the networks and a few extras at $18 a month. When I scanned channels I came up with a bunch of HiDef channels in the decimal point range, like 73.3 and 12.2. My brother in law who lives in the same township but about 6 miles away doesn't get them on his also new Sylvania (his is smaller but he made up for it by paying more).

Does anyone know if I am entitled to these channels or if I call Comcast will they take them away? Does Comcast regularly transmit HD signals on basic?
Old 12-04-2007, 04:42 AM

Those channels are free...no need to worry...
Old 12-04-2007, 08:49 AM

After reading this tread I decided it was a good idea to purchase Extended Warrentee.. 60 bucks to protect an 800 dollar TV for an extra 2 years seems like a pretty good investment. I had also read a Consumer Reports article on cheap HDTV and it said they are essentially disposable, and once out of warrantee often there are not even parts available, so even if you want to pay for a repair it is impossible.

With that in mind I bought the EW. It was very easy, just took in my reciept. Lady at service center scanned a little warrentee card, punched in the UPC, and said "lets see if it asks for a model #" but the register never did ask, so she jut printed up the warrentee reciept and stapled it to the original and I was on my way.

The interesting thing is that I also had a 32" Polaroid on the reciept (picked up for someone else at the black Friday sale) so I am wondering if I go a 2 for one deal... and I could use warrentte on the 32" as well if it goes bad. The 60 bucks was for electronics 500-1000 I think, and I can't remember if 32" was above the $500 threshold, so that may exclude it. Anyway I thought it was pretty shoddy work by Walmart not asking for Model #, not like them. Hopefully it won't be needed for either set.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:16 PM

Hey All,

thanks for the great tips on this thread. I picked mine up on Black Friday and haven't had any major problems. Anyway, last night I tried hooking it up to my computer via the DVI -> HDMI cable I got from monoprice. my computer is running a evga Geforce 8800GT w/ 512 mb of ram and 2 DVI outputs as well as an s-video output that came with an adapter that splits into component. Anyway, when the DVI-HDMI cable is plugged in, the polaroid goes off the blue No Signal! screen, but just stays black. I can't get any picture using that cable, but I can get it using the component and regular VGA cables. What do I have to do to get it to show up using the DVI-HDMI? (And at 1080p!)

Thanks!
Old 12-04-2007, 02:36 PM

i have a similar setup, and mine did the same thing. i had to reboot with the cable plugged in for it to display anything.

couple things i have questions about. some one posted something about pressing the channel down and volume down buttons on the TV to get to the factory menu; i cant get that to work...
has anyone noticed and streaking or ghosting? i was watching the finally of Heros in comcast HD last night and it seem to be really bad. and when i watch football in HD and they do the long shots from the side field, the playes are very blobby looking. i am running the motorola box with an HDMI cable straight to the TV. other then that HD seems to look fine, just a little grainy. i also have a 50 inch panasonic plasma, the Polaroid doesn't even compare but you get what you pay for.
couple griped i have
- first off the red LED for standby mode is FREAKIN BRIGHT! it points right at my face when i sleep, i had to cover it with a piece of electrical tape.
- second the polaroid splash screen when you turn it on (whats the point)
-third it takes a long time to display a picture when switching through inputs, shows a blue screen for 5 to 10 seconds before it displays the video
- and finally goes to the "no signal" screen way to easy, i noticed this when i tried playing a game through component on my PS2. when the ps2 starts the game it shows all the companies that made it first and in between each one it goes to the "no signal" screen
Old 12-05-2007, 09:17 AM

one more thing...
anyone get the comcast remote to work with this TV?
Old 12-05-2007, 10:22 AM

Hi, (Reply to LazyEight's post)

I purchased the TV on Black Friday also, but late in the day. I was told that it was a special buy and the price would be honored until Saturday evening until they were gone. Interestingly enough they still had 3 as of yesterday (12/4) and they were still $798.

The day after I purchased the TV I saw a upconverting DVD player that looked like the one that had been advertised for $29.98. I checked and it was, and it was still on sale so I bought it also. In order to check things out I needed an HDMI cable so I went to Big Lots and forked over my $12 for a cable with gold-plated connectors so I could check things out.

I connected everything and couldn't be happier with the results.

I too have limited basic on Comcast and had similar results as to what you observed. Several weeks ago I couldn't get CSPAN2 and read that it was being discontinued on the analog channels and was only available on the digital channels. I read that they would provide a box to enable reception of the digital channels on an analog-only set without charge for a year and then you would have to pay a monthly rental fee. It seemed like a nuisance and as I get 10 digital channels over the air as well as the networks I was ready to cancel Comcast and seriously consider buying an HDTV and a good antenna.

Well, as it turns out that with Comcast I get about 40 analog channels and 60 digital. Most of the digital are the same as the analog but I also get CSPAN2 & 3 as well as CNN and something called Movieplex. I get a "No Signal" message on most of the other channels and I think they may be scrambled On Demand channels. I'm going to keep Comcast, at least for a while.

Jim
Old 12-05-2007, 04:44 PM

I live in Florida and have Comcast service, I was wondering if anyone else has them and the cost. Or what I should possibly do to get HD channels.

But on another note, I have an XBOX 360 (Pre-HDMI) and so far I love the picture it produces. If I put a DVD into it, will it be viewing in 480p?

Thanks
Old 12-05-2007, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaxxRuckus View Post

Hey All,

thanks for the great tips on this thread. I picked mine up on Black Friday and haven't had any major problems. Anyway, last night I tried hooking it up to my computer via the DVI -> HDMI cable I got from monoprice. my computer is running a evga Geforce 8800GT w/ 512 mb of ram and 2 DVI outputs as well as an s-video output that came with an adapter that splits into component. Anyway, when the DVI-HDMI cable is plugged in, the polaroid goes off the blue No Signal! screen, but just stays black. I can't get any picture using that cable, but I can get it using the component and regular VGA cables. What do I have to do to get it to show up using the DVI-HDMI? (And at 1080p!)

Thanks!

Thanks everyone for the useful info and tips.
I have messed around with my Polaroid 42" LCD for 2 weeks now. Here are the conclusions. Please correct me if I am wrong.

1. A decent unit for the money. HDTV viewing and upconverted DVD viewing are above average. PC display is less than mediocre.

2. Connecting to a PC using VGA connection: I used an old GeForce FX5200 graphics card and created a resolution of 1920x1080 50Hz using nVidia control panel and I can get it to display fullscreen edge to edge at 1080p.

3. Connecting to a PC using HDMI connection: I had to purchase a new ATI Radeon HD 2400 graphics card which has DVI and is HDCP compatible. This TV set, similar to most newer ones, requires HDCP (high-bandwidth digital content protection). Many of you could not see anything when connecting DVI to HDMI because you donot have an HDCP graphics card. I used ATI Catalyst control panel to add a new resolution 1080p 60Hz and can get it to display 1920x1080p edge to edge.

4. For both VGA and HDMI connections, the pixel ratio is 1:1 vertically. But horizontally, it is NOT 1:1. It is compressed horizontally and restretched. It is a faked 1920 resolution. The aspect ratio still appears correct but the information is partially lost (blurry) horizontally. I tested it by creating a JPG file with many vertical and horizontal lines of 1-pixel thickness. So it is a true 1080p (vertical resolution) but it is only a pseudo 1920 horizontal resolution when connecting to a PC.

5. Other Tips: Please use the aspect button on the remote to display edge to edge in PC mode. Use info button to verify you get 1080p, not 1080i.

6. My question: Has anyone tried connecting PC DVI-HDMI for video and at the same time connecting the L-R RCA jacks right under the HDMI connection to get audio sucessfully? No matter what I do, I get no sound from PC to the TV. Please try it on your set and help me debug this issue.

Thanks.

Happy watching and enjoy your bargain buy.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:57 PM

Quote:

So you've done these settings and everything's alright? Let me know what you're saturation/hue settings are also...hmm..might give this a try later...do you start with the tv off and press vol/chan or tv on?

Yep, no problems after the settings - Like I said, they're not really that low-level. Nothing like a service menu. My Saturation/Hue are still 44/-1, but I haven't calibrated since I tweaked those settings. I might try to do that this weekend.

With the TV on, I press Volume down and then Channel down at the same time (on the side of the TV, not on the remote.)

Shining the flashlight of reason into the dark corners of stupidity for over three and a half decades!
ccie.tv
Old 12-06-2007, 05:33 AM

Quote:

Yep, no problems after the settings - Like I said, they're not really that low-level. Nothing like a service menu. My Saturation/Hue are still 44/-1, but I haven't calibrated since I tweaked those settings. I might try to do that this weekend.

With the TV on, I press Volume down and then Channel down at the same time (on the side of the TV, not on the remote.)

Thanks, may try these this weekend and see how it looks...
Old 12-06-2007, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyEight View Post

When I got there after accomplishing my mission at Meijers I saw that the set was tagged as a 32" but was a 27" with built in DVD. I told her not to worry as I'd passed a pallet of 32's on the way in and I'd just go swap it. When I got it there I saw that ALL the TV's were 27" with built in DVD and were tagged and signed as 32's.

Actually the 26's were the same price as the 32's, so even if those crappy cardboard signs had 32" on'em, they weren't exactly priced wrong on the floor so that's insane they'd give a you a $350 discount just on the name being wrong, but hey more power to ya, maybe I'm just jealous.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:11 AM

I keep seeing people saying they have Comcast and are getting HD/Digital channels. I only picked up 2 and I dont have a cable box (yet) and I'm connected through the wall, and there are no cable boxes in the house. Is there a reason why I'm not picking them up?
Old 12-06-2007, 09:08 AM

Quote:

that doesn't do anything.... either the volume goes all the way down or the channels cycle through backwards...

Tags
Polaroid , Polaroid 42 Inch Tlx 04240b , Displays , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 04240b by PriceGrabber.com