Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 94 Old 11-23-2007, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter
aod
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, I thought since it's bigger brother (TLX-04210B) had a thread, then the 32" should also, so as not to infringe on the 42" thread. This set was on sale today at you know where for an EXTREMELY good price and they were going like hotcakes here. I was not even in the market for a new set, but I couldn't pass it up. I thought why not and got it to replace my Toshiba 36A60 SD set in the game room. I must say, I am quite impressed at the picture for the price point. Much more value then what I paid. My Transformers HD DVD is on right now and it looks great! The first thing I noticed when I opened the box is that the remote looks exactly like my Vizio's, which leads me to beleive it may be made by them? Either way, I thought it was the best value for a medium set this morning I saw. Anyone else pick up this one today? Any thoughts on this set? Optimal settings?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 94 Old 11-23-2007, 11:38 PM

Does this model have a built-in DVD player?
post #3 of 94 Old 11-24-2007, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
aod
Advanced Member

No, but they a smaller one with one built in yesterday.

post #4 of 94 Old 11-24-2007, 09:51 AM

I also bought this LCD on impulse when I saw the price. However, as soon as I went home I went online to look up reviews. I googled "Polaroid LCD 32"" and got some pretty nasty reviews, but I soon noticed that none of them mentioned the TLX-03120B. I'm guessing this LCD is a new model? I was thinking of returning it, because I felt uncomfortable, but should I wait and play around with my new LCD? From what you posted aod it seems that the LCD is pretty decent. I looked at the samples and they actually look pretty good, but the sample had a built DVD player, so I don't know if that will affect anything... it shouldn't though.
post #5 of 94 Old 11-24-2007, 10:06 AM

I also purchased one of these sets yesterday and I'm happy for the price its great. Does anyone happen to know where I can find some setup tips for getting the best picture. Also I have a Insignia 26" and it has the same remote minus a few buttons. thanks
post #6 of 94 Old 11-24-2007, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
aod
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyFalcon View Post

I also bought this LCD on impulse when I saw the price. However, as soon as I went home I went online to look up reviews. I googled "Polaroid LCD 32"" and got some pretty nasty reviews, but I soon noticed that none of them mentioned the TLX-03120B. I'm guessing this LCD is a new model? I was thinking of returning it, because I felt uncomfortable, but should I wait and play around with my new LCD? From what you posted aod it seems that the LCD is pretty decent. I looked at the samples and they actually look pretty good, but the sample had a built DVD player, so I don't know if that will affect anything... it shouldn't though.

Yes, the TLX-03120B is a new model. For the price I think it cannot be beat. It serves its niche quite well. I also bought it on an impulse and am quite pleased with it. Really good set for the money.

post #7 of 94 Old 11-24-2007, 05:33 PM

I'm testing the TLX 03210B for a little less than a month (that's how long I've got to bring it back). I think that's as long as I'm going to keep it though. Nice picture, fits well on my tv stand, sounds a little tinny (some channels worse than others). After a couple days use noticing an occasional flashing line across the middle of the screen. After Googling and reading about what a nightmare Polaroids are when it comes to servicing I'm wishing the store I got it from offered a little longer than a 2 year service plan. Plan to bring it back soon for a refund, just because I'd like my TV to last a little longer than 2 years.
post #8 of 94 Old 11-25-2007, 07:03 AM

i just got it, and i think its great. i live in a student apartment community at my college and it automatically picks up hd channels (i don't have a box). it looks great. i've had absolutely no problems...and i paid only $448.
anybody know any optimal settings?
post #9 of 94 Old 11-25-2007, 07:53 AM

bump. also, could anyone answer this question?
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=944585
post #10 of 94 Old 11-25-2007, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
aod
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets Babe View Post

bump. also, could anyone answer this question?
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=944585

Even though a channel may be sent as HD, it could still retain a 1.33 picture. A full HD picture will fill the screen. Alot of newscasts have not upgraded to HD, so when you see them on a HD channel, it will look like a SD 1.33 picture. It is not the set, it is the signal.

post #11 of 94 Old 11-25-2007, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aod View Post

Even though a channel may be sent as HD, it could still retain a 1.33 picture. A full HD picture will fill the screen. Alot of newscasts have not upgraded to HD, so when you see them on a HD channel, it will look like a SD 1.33 picture. It is not the set, it is the signal.

thanks! any optimal settings yet?
post #12 of 94 Old 11-25-2007, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter
aod
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets Babe View Post

thanks! any optimal settings yet?

No optimal settings yet, but I put it on Cinema mode, NR on medium and turned green down to 110. It looks pretty good. Below is a few shots of Beerfest on HD DVD running at 1080i via HD-A2. I wish my camera was better, because it looks fantastic in person.

post #13 of 94 Old 11-25-2007, 03:18 PM

Does this TV have PIP??
post #14 of 94 Old 11-25-2007, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter
aod
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexbrs1nks View Post

Does this TV have PIP??

No. On the flipside, it has more than enough connections. It has 2xHDMI's (one with audio inputs for DVI), 1xVGA for computer, 2xComponent, 2xComposite, 1xS-Video with audio, Composite (L/R) audio and Coaxial audio out as well as cable/OTA HD cable input and headphone jack.

post #15 of 94 Old 11-25-2007, 05:31 PM

Does anyone know if this will tune QAM? I read one place that says it will tune unencrypted cable stations, but the Polaroid website doesn't list QAM in the features. Thanks.
post #16 of 94 Old 11-26-2007, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aod View Post

No optimal settings yet, but I put it on Cinema mode, NR on medium and turned green down to 110. It looks pretty good. Below is a few shots of Beerfest on HD DVD running at 1080i via HD-A2. I wish my camera was better, because it looks fantastic in person.

sweet. i tried that, and it looks great. any changes to the optimal settings...someone post!
post #17 of 94 Old 11-27-2007, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by embdrvr View Post

Does anyone know if this will tune QAM? I read one place that says it will tune unencrypted cable stations, but the Polaroid website doesn't list QAM in the features. Thanks.

As far as I know it has a QAM tuner. My cable company sends 6 unencrypted channels to houses and I'm able to pick them up, plus 5 out of the 8 of the HD stations that are supposed to be encrypted (at least you are supposed to pay for them). Great TV for the price and I'm glad I picked it up on Black Friday from wally-world. My first HDTV and I absolutely love it. Now if only the HDMI cables that I ordered would arrive, I can then test out my PS3 on the TV and see how the Blu-Ray discs look. HD channels look awesome as it is, I can't wait to see a high-def disc in action.
post #18 of 94 Old 11-28-2007, 06:27 AM

Should all other settings remain as factory set?

Jim
post #19 of 94 Old 11-28-2007, 11:25 AM

Only setting changes I have made are to turn off the internal speaker to use my surround sound system and I tweaked the colors on my PC that I have hooked up to the TV. Other then that I've been using the factory defaults which are good enough for me as I've had a CRT TV up until this past Black Friday.
post #20 of 94 Old 11-28-2007, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter
aod
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lz747 View Post

Should all other settings remain as factory set?

Jim

Yes, I kept them the same. I turned down the green to 105 and it looks a little better.

post #21 of 94 Old 11-29-2007, 09:39 AM

I also purchased my set on Black Friday at the unnamed big box store. I hooked it up on Sunday and was really impressed until last night, when the flashing line started. It is about a third of the way up the screen and flickers every few seconds, only with satellite TV transmission, not with a DVD playing. Has anyone else experienced this, besides Bodhiman? Wonder if it is an inherent flaw in all of this model? Back to the store with this one - might try another - not sure yet...
post #22 of 94 Old 11-30-2007, 09:26 PM

Since I'm kinda new to these LCD TVs, I was wondering if anyone else has attempted to hook their PS3 (if you have one) to this TV via HDMI. I did so today after receiving my cables in the mail and found that when I told it to automatically configure the HDMI port for use, it gave me 1080p as the default option. I verified this by checking the info for the HDMI input on the TV and it also said it was displaying 1080p. I thought that this TV did not support 1080p and was very surprised by this. I wonder if the 1080p signal is being converted by the TV to it's native resolution of 1366 x 768. Again, I'm just curious and can post pictures tomorrow as I am about to fall asleep on my keyboard if I don't go to bed soon. If anyone knows more about this, please let me know otherwise this might be a 1080p TV (but I think I'm just crazy for thinking that.)
post #23 of 94 Old 12-01-2007, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noswald View Post

Since I'm kinda new to these LCD TVs, I was wondering if anyone else has attempted to hook their PS3 (if you have one) to this TV via HDMI. I did so today after receiving my cables in the mail and found that when I told it to automatically configure the HDMI port for use, it gave me 1080p as the default option. I verified this by checking the info for the HDMI input on the TV and it also said it was displaying 1080p. I thought that this TV did not support 1080p and was very surprised by this. I wonder if the 1080p signal is being converted by the TV to it's native resolution of 1366 x 768. Again, I'm just curious and can post pictures tomorrow as I am about to fall asleep on my keyboard if I don't go to bed soon. If anyone knows more about this, please let me know otherwise this might be a 1080p TV (but I think I'm just crazy for thinking that.)

I don't think the TV supports 1080p, but i have my PS3 on it, and it looks awesome!
post #24 of 94 Old 12-02-2007, 09:55 AM

I stood in line at 4AM Black Friday to get this dog! This was my first HDTV and I was excited about having one. I got it home, read all of the instructions and hooked it up. It came with the componet cables which was really great and not an extra like other brands. The picture was fantastic! I was so happy! I watched it into the wee hours of Saturday and then after I got up in the morning. I left for the afternoon and then when I returned decided to watch some more TV. I attempted to turn it on and the red light turned blue, but no picture. Attempting to turn it off with the remote and the button on the TV failed. It just sat there with the blue light on like it was locked up. I pulled the plug and plugged it back in. I again attempted to power the set back up with the same results. After about three tries, it came on and worked well again. I called Polaroid support/customer service and after being on hold for over a half an hour got a customer service representative that was very pleasant. When I explained the problem she told me that there was a manufacturer's defect and it needed a new board that would take at least six weeks to obtain. She offered some advice: "Take it back to the store and buy a different brand." When someone on the 'inside' gives you advice, take it! I took it back and bought a Visio. I usually read reviews before purchasing an item, but this being a new model, there was nothing out there. If you read Polaroid reviews, they really stink as far as customer service. The Visio had good reviews and I am again a happy camper even though I had to drop an additional $125. It was worth it. I have contacted the corporate headquarters of the store I purchased this dog from, but have yet to get a reply. Beware! Stay away from this one!
post #25 of 94 Old 12-02-2007, 01:15 PM

Just to prove to myself I wasn't crazy, I took a picture of this fine TV (with a crappy camera) of it showing that my PS3 and it were at least both on that same page about the resolution. I still don't think that this TV truly supports 1080p, but at least some evidence that I'm not as crazy as I think I am.

http://web.mst.edu/~noswald/DSCF2430.JPG
post #26 of 94 Old 12-02-2007, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter
aod
Advanced Member

Quote:

Just to prove to myself I wasn't crazy, I took a picture of this fine TV (with a crappy camera) of it showing that my PS3 and it were at least both on that same page about the resolution. I still don't think that this TV truly supports 1080p, but at least some evidence that I'm not as crazy as I think I am.

Mine also says 1080p with my Xbox 360 elite via HDMI. Maybe it is 1080p after all, but Poloroid doesn't boast that fact. I'll tell you, my HD DVD and Elite look outstanding.

deprice,

Maybe you just got a bad one. It happens. I would have tried another. For every complaint, i'm sure there are loads of those who are happy with what they paid for. BTW, there are just as many complaints about Vizio also. Best of luck. Mine looks great.

post #27 of 94 Old 12-03-2007, 06:38 AM

I'll agree the HD content I'm watching on this TV is simply amazing compared to the SD broadcasts on this TV as well as other SDTVs. I've yet to try playing a game on my PS3, Wii or computer attached to this TV but I've watched a Blu-Ray movie as well as a standard DVD up-converted to 720p and they both look amazing.
post #28 of 94 Old 12-03-2007, 07:00 AM

Quote:

i just checked my ps3 settings, and it says 1080p as well. weird, but awesome!
post #29 of 94 Old 12-03-2007, 10:24 AM

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it's noticing the 1080p signal and downscaling it to 720p/1080i since Polaroid says it can support those resolutions, but it would be a nice surprise if it did 1080p resolutions natively.
post #30 of 94 Old 12-04-2007, 05:11 PM

I too am very impressed with the picture on this TV. When I first bought it I wasn't expecting too much, but after calibrating via THX off Star Wars 2, I was blown away by the picture quality. And the Wii looks stellar on this TV.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page