someone give me the lo-down on the Dynex LCD's. - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 198 Old 01-24-2008, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I picked up a 32" Dynex (DX-LCD32) today from BB and it will be used as a bedroom unit. It was not my first choice but I had a $140 in BB gift cards to use up. I did not get the killer deal last week but still got it on sale for a good price. My other choice was the Westinghouse also on sale for a little more. The salesman said the Westinghouse was a little better built TV but the picture on the Westinghouse just did not look real good. For example the whites looked cream colored and the picture lacked any detail. The Dynex next to it looked far better and was cheaper even with the slight red push it has. I figured I would take Dynex and buy the extended warranty for it just in case.

I would say my first choice was the Memorex 32" set available only at Sears. It put out a really nice picture and seemed well built. However Sears is seldom competitive and with no gift cards I would have spent hundreds more. I can't say if the Memorex actually puts out a better picture anyway. I am sure on the inside all these cheaper LCD TV's are the same anyway.

I just got it set up. Wow they always look bigger at home don't they? I hand calibrated the picture and it looks really good at the moment. I managed to get rid of the extra red push for the most part. Regular Cable TV does not look so great but thats typical now days with high resolution displays. Right now I am using an older Panasonic S55 DVD player with component and progressive scan. It does not upscale but the picture looks sharp and clean.

I think for the price this set is really good. My biggest worry is how long will it last? I guess this is what the warrantee if for!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 198 Old 01-24-2008, 02:02 PM

I am trying to set this TV up in my bedroom with proper settings. I have my PS3 on my living room plasma and wish to keep it out there due to the BRD playback so I cant use it on this TV which is a problem since my xbox360 is more degraded in picture quality than the ps3 is on this budget TV.

I was wondering if anyone who had this TV also has a xbox 360 with VGA and component hookups and if so which should I use since my 360 doesn't have HDMI output. The VGA hookups seem to go to a higher resolution than the component ones do but the VGA also seems more washed out/over all lower quality.

Also, can anyone confirm that the already posted settings are from a calibration tool?
post #93 of 198 Old 01-24-2008, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadster View Post

what are the universal remote codes for the 32" Dynex? I'm using Dish Network UHF remote...

I one-upped you guys, got the 12% RZ discount AND used TRIPLE RZ POINTS coupon - so I get $25 back in RZ Cash - so about $383 for the set

I hate you. Any cheaper and they should have just given it to you. I have had mine in our guest room and I keep going in there just to watch it a little and I keep saying to myself, "dam this is a nice TV for a cheap one".
post #94 of 198 Old 01-24-2008, 09:54 PM

use the orion unversal code
post #95 of 198 Old 01-27-2008, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafa2798 View Post

Hi, Has anybody tried to connect a PC through the hdmi port?
I did that and the image is forced to 4:3 with black bars left and right.
I changed the resolution to 1360 x 768 on my pc, but still getting the same result.
I have an hp s3330f with an nvidia 8500gt installed with hdmi oputput.

When I use the VGA cable though, it fills up the screen correctly.

Any ideas? Thanks

I'm wondering about this also, except I have mine connected through S-video. I don't even have the option to change the resolution higher than 1024x768. I have found that the zoom setting seems to make it wide though, without distortion.

I just got the TV today, only had about an hour to mess with it. Still trying to get the remote code for my Onkyo universal remote.

One other question, and maybe I've just not found it yet, but is there a way to directly go from one input number to another, or to disable unused inputs? Right now I'm using S-video (computer), HDMI (Oppo DVD player), and antenna (NES and Sega Genesis), and it takes forever to flip between all the inputs to find the one I want.
post #96 of 198 Old 01-28-2008, 09:24 AM

Here's some more info on what I've tried as of now.

My receiver is an Onkyo SR505, the remote being the RC-681M. I've tried the remote codes for funai, orion, vizio, westinghouse, aoc, envision, memorex,
Mitsubishi, Broksonic, Sansui, Insignia, Durabrand, and emerson. Several of the codes will allow my remote to turn the tv on and off, and adjust the volume, but I can't switch inputs, so that's still essentially useless.

Has anyone gotten one of the Harmony remotes or something similar to work with this set? I'm spoiled on only having one remote for everything.
post #97 of 198 Old 01-28-2008, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkatmsu View Post

One other question, and maybe I've just not found it yet, but is there a way to directly go from one input number to another, or to disable unused inputs? Right now I'm using S-video (computer), HDMI (Oppo DVD player), and antenna (NES and Sega Genesis), and it takes forever to flip between all the inputs to find the one I want.

Hit Video Button for the Composite/S-Video inputs, and PC Button for HDMI inputs.
post #98 of 198 Old 01-29-2008, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

I have $500 in gift cards and will probably buy this TV [with warranty as my last 50 in Vizio plasma blew up in less than 2 yrs, so thankfully I had a warranty]. I don't need it right away. Do you think that I should wait to see if it goes on sale again?
post #99 of 198 Old 01-29-2008, 06:10 PM

This TV is always going on sale and if you get that 12% off coupon you can get the TV at more of a discount. I have the TV and its been nothing short of great for me
post #100 of 198 Old 01-31-2008, 10:26 AM

I have a question about wall mounts for the Dynex 32". I found a mount locally for relatively cheap that says it supports TVs up to 40" and it mentions supporting VESA 100x100, 100x200, and 200x200.

I see on Best Buy's site and the manufacturer's site that it is "VESA compatible", but no further details. In the PDF specs it shows an area on the back that looks to be 200x400mm, is that correct? Does this mean the mount mentioned above won't fit?

Thanks,
-Brett.
post #101 of 198 Old 01-31-2008, 07:34 PM

Brett, my manual shows the same thing. I don't know anything about mounts as I have my set sitting on a stand. If you'd like, I can take a picture of the back of it for you.
post #102 of 198 Old 02-01-2008, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkatmsu View Post

Brett, my manual shows the same thing. I don't know anything about mounts as I have my set sitting on a stand. If you'd like, I can take a picture of the back of it for you.

Thanks for the offer... but I need to get into a store and check one out in person so I'll just look at it then. Since they're available locally I might just buy them and return it if it doesn't work.

Thanks!
-Brett.
post #103 of 198 Old 02-04-2008, 05:26 AM

I decided to pick one of these up as well. Deal wasn't as crazy as some of you got, but maybe it'll drop in the next few months and I can do a price update. It was on-sale for $529.99 and I used the 10% movers coupon. Total price was $476.99 (no tax in NH). I had $160 in giftcards so I paid $316.99 out the door.

So far I'm pretty happy with it. Connected right to the wall to Comcast cable. Picked up tons of analog channels plus a decent amount of HD. I get ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX HD as well as a few other random ones. Only had a few days of viewing, but so far I am pleased.

Panasonic 42PE7U
Dynex DX-LCD32
post #104 of 198 Old 02-06-2008, 04:01 PM

Quick question in regards to the codes. I can get most of the functions to work using Emerson, Orion, etc, but I cannot get the remote to change the input at all. The Dynex website doesn't even have this set on their list of codes. Im using the Comcast DVR remote, and the input is pretty much the only thing that does not function.
post #105 of 198 Old 02-10-2008, 02:54 PM

^^ At least I'm not the only one with that issue. Does anyone know of a remote, besides the provided one, that DOES work fully with these sets? I'll start saving for a Harmony or something if I know it'd work (assuming it plays nice with my receiver and all too, but those are name brand so I presume it would).
post #106 of 198 Old 02-16-2008, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Does anyone have the URL or link to the Bestbuy signup for the Moving Coupon? I just joined the RZ, but have no points or certificate/coupons.
post #107 of 198 Old 02-17-2008, 05:57 AM
Advanced Member

I found the Movers coupon at Dealnews.com. Hopefully BB has some left today.
post #108 of 198 Old 02-17-2008, 10:30 AM

Just pulled the trigger on one of these for BB's President's Day Sale. It was on sale for $499, used a 12% RZ coupon, bringing it down to $464.14 with 5.5% sales tax.

It beats the hell out of my old Philips 27" CRT TV, which was on its way out anyways. It took like 5 minutes to turn it on because it kept shutting itself off unless you constantly changed channels.

XBox 360 looks amazing so far, I'm pretty satisfied considering the set cost under $500.

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."
post #109 of 198 Old 02-17-2008, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

I just bought it as well and the Moving coupon from dealnews worked for a pre-tax total of 449.99. I bought the extended warranty but did not get any papers. Do I need to call BB to register it with their warranty or something?

Follow up. I called BB and they are sending me the paper work for the warranty. I can't believe the guy forgot to give it to me, and that I was so excited about the coupon working and the price that I forgot to ask.
post #110 of 198 Old 02-17-2008, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwam3 View Post

I just bought it as well and the Moving coupon from dealnews worked for a pre-tax total of 449.99. I bought the extended warranty but did not get any papers. Do I need to call BB to register it with their warranty or something?

Follow up. I called BB and they are sending me the paper work for the warranty. I can't believe the guy forgot to give it to me, and that I was so excited about the coupon working and the price that I forgot to ask.

I also picked this TV up today 499 - 12% - $35 best buy bucks and also used a coupon to get triple reward points. Walked out with it for under $500 with the extended warranty. Was I supposed to get more paper work other then the little pamplet they gave me that explained the warranty??
post #111 of 198 Old 02-17-2008, 04:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZTT View Post

I also picked this TV up today 499 - 12% - $35 best buy bucks and also used a coupon to get triple reward points. Walked out with it for under $500 with the extended warranty. Was I supposed to get more paper work other then the little pamplet they gave me that explained the warranty??

I think that the little pamphlet is all there is. That's all that I got for a warranty for an item from Home Depot as well. It was generic and gave a phone # to call fro service. The terms of the Dynex warranty from BestBuy are at the web site. There is an option to print them. I have a Mac and saved it as a PDF. It may vary from state to state, I could not PM it to you, but if you send your email address, I will send it. I live in NJ, which may share the similar contract with your state as it mentions many other participating states at the bottom.
post #112 of 198 Old 02-18-2008, 08:30 AM

Anybody have any issues with the TV "clicking" when its on? I am bringing mine back to Best Buy today and will likely exchange it. I assume this is an isolated case and most do not do it. Plus I can price match since its cheaper now than it was when I bought it!

I hear a clicking sound, kind of like the plastic on the back cracking or something. Its hard to explain but it happens once or twice every minute when the tv is on. Anybody else experiance this?

Panasonic 42PE7U
Dynex DX-LCD32
post #113 of 198 Old 02-18-2008, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

My TV is connected to the Comcast coax cable, without the STB. Only used it for a couple hours, but there is no clicking. definitely do the price match thing. Did you get the warranty? It's also less expensive than two days ago, It is now 59.99 bucks [40 bucks less, probably due to the price drop bring it to a lower tier].
post #114 of 198 Old 02-18-2008, 05:26 PM

I swapped out my Dynex for a new one today due to the clicking issue. New one is good so far, and the exchange was easy at BB. As a bonus they gave me $30 back since it is now on sale again. I ended up paying $499 - 10% = $449 total. Hopefully this one is a keeper.

Panasonic 42PE7U
Dynex DX-LCD32
post #115 of 198 Old 02-19-2008, 07:05 AM

I took the plunge yesterday and picked up a 32 in Dynex from Best Buy. It is pretty good quality for the price. It's being used as a monitor right now in my living room. Text isn't great but its very readable and doesn't hurt my eyes, and Call of Duty 4 looks amazing on it. I will post some pictures once i get the chance.
post #116 of 198 Old 02-20-2008, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyNyc1983 View Post

I took the plunge yesterday and picked up a 32 in Dynex from Best Buy. It is pretty good quality for the price. It's being used as a monitor right now in my living room. Text isn't great but its very readable and doesn't hurt my eyes, and Call of Duty 4 looks amazing on it. I will post some pictures once i get the chance.

Welcome to the club of happy owners. I hope we stay that way.
post #117 of 198 Old 02-22-2008, 06:57 AM

Just bought the dx-lcd32 the other day and I'm wanting to hook it up to my pc via dvi to hdmi. Im having same problem as rafa2798. Problem is it doesnt recognize it as a widescreen signal and i have to set it to widescreen using zoom. I have it set to 1360x768 1280x720 does the same. Am I losing quality doing it this way or should I stick with the vga port that does recognize it as widescreen. Also was messing around with displaymate to test it and in hdmi mode the horizontal color registration test it has no color at all, while vga does.
post #118 of 198 Old 02-22-2008, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
While I do not have the Dynex LCD32, I do have the Dynex LCD19 that I purchased 2/1/08. It has a great picture on digital and HD channels but the picture quality on analog Comcast and OTA channels is only fair. I have the Dynex set cable-ready (without a STB) on Comcast through the RF input. The Dynex is also enslaved through the Component inputs to a digital tuner Panasonic DMR-EZ17 DVD recorder set cable-ready. The Dynex is also connected, through its composite input (through a Pelican System Selector PL970) to a second DMR-EZ17 set up OTA, a Panasonic analog DMR-ES35V set up cable-ready, and to the first DMR-EZ17 as well.

The Dynex would occasionally make a single click sound that preceded the right speaker coming on and going off. At first I thought this was some reception problem but then I switched between the Dynex tuner and the three Panasonic machines. The random cutting out was still present. Then I gave the Dynex a gentle but firm whack near the right speaker. This caused the speaker to go on or off with each whack.

Today the Dynex LCD19 is going back for exchange.

I used to say that stores tell a customer "If you find that the product is defective just bring it back and we'll exchange it for another one just like it."

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #119 of 198 Old 02-22-2008, 09:03 AM

I am using the VGA out, it recognizes it as widesceen without any issues under XP.
post #120 of 198 Old 02-22-2008, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Earlier today I posted information on my experience with my first Dynex LCDTV19. I reported that it had "a great picture on digital and HD channels but the picture quality on analog Comcast and OTA channels is only fair." I had made several picture adjustments in an attempt to improve the picture on analog channels but that didn't help.

Due to the intermittant performance with the right speaker I exchanged the unit today.

The exchange unit seems to have fully functional speakers and the analog picture quality is much better than that of the first unit. I would attribute the speaker problem to a quality control failure and the second unit's better analog picture to a sample variance.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page