Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1302 Old 11-28-2007, 01:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiphopcr View Post

Is that a backlight issue (on the right side of the screen) or just some weird lighting in the photo?

No, I think the camera flash did that. Tha picture has been great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1302 Old 11-28-2007, 01:32 PM

Can you guys post some pics of your tv's with all black so I can compare. Please take a look at my earlier post on the previous page and give me feedback on the leakage. Also what are the settings some of you are using? Maybe I can adjust some settings to make it better, probably not though.
post #183 of 1302 Old 11-28-2007, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidiot1985 View Post

It's kinda hard to see from the pictures, but it doesn't look bad to me.

I second that. Not bad at all.
post #184 of 1302 Old 11-28-2007, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattfinley View Post

Another thing...it is kind of weird, but i can't find any manual for the 247 series...none. There is no reference to it on their website either. The only thing i can find is on their homepage you can find the description and the specs for it. The manual I downloaded and the one on my disk only goes up to the 42". Kinda fishy...

Finley

I think it uses the same manual, take a look at the PDF name on the website

2_series_MTK_237_240_242_UserManual.pdf

They probably just need to update that manual to state 247.

I work in the manufacturing industry. We have had to do that a couple of times when we had a tight deadline and we ship a manual for a machine that is very similar, if not identical except for its size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grotendick View Post

Can you guys post some pics of your tv's with all black so I can compare. Please take a look at my earlier post on the previous page and give me feedback on the leakage. Also what are the settings some of you are using? Maybe I can adjust some settings to make it better, probably not though.

I will post some pics tonight so the room is dark.

TIP: If you have a tripod, use it. Also set the exposure to different settings to see which picture show what it truly looks like.
post #185 of 1302 Old 11-28-2007, 01:36 PM

Yes, spydermonkey311, you can use HDMI to the TV and audio directly to the receiver. Obviously, you won't have "switching" capabilities, meaning the receiver won't sense the signal input and automatically change the on-screen view.

Older receivers will not be able to do this. For those whose do not, it may be time to add that to your Christmas list.

perpetual98, sorry to hear you're in the boonies. I can understand why you haven't upgraded...no need.

A last word about the current response from Olevia. I'd tend to give them a little break right now, being I'm guessing they sold 1000's of these, if not multiples of that, on BF. It's also a VERY NEW TV - I went to Olevia's website last week (Monday the 19th) and this set was not listed. On Tuesday, BJ's ad hit and I immediately went to Olevia's site and both new sets, the 247 & 252, were listed. So, I'm guessing they worked overtime to get these to retailers in time for BF and are now inundated with sales volume response. Of course, I hope it's not from a multitude of "bad" issues instead. That being said, I'd give them a few days, and if no response, try calling instead. For those who are attempting contact, keep us informed of the progress.

Thanks...
post #186 of 1302 Old 11-28-2007, 01:40 PM

So, I just got back from Circuit City signing up for DirecTV. The original price online for me was $1099, minus 10% for AAA dicsount [which I went to another CC to get], and now a different CC in Orlando has credited my card $300 for the satellite hook-up. All said and done: A 47" LCD HDTV for $689....short of catastrophic failure, I'm keeping this one!
post #187 of 1302 Old 11-28-2007, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spydermonkey311 View Post

Any suggestions for my situation. I have a Panasonic SA-XR50 receiver. It does not have HDMI input/output. Is it possible to use HDMI for video going to the TV and another audio output for audio going to the reciever? I plan on getting a HD-DVD when they come down in price a bit, but Im not sure if the new ones still include optical/coaxial output.

Any suggestions?

It depends on your DVD player. My Panasonic upconverting SD-DVD player has HDMI and an optical digital out. I have the HDMI connected to my Mitsubishi LT-46131 TV and the digital audio out going to my receiver. The only reason I do this is because the TV won't pass through 5.1 digital audio from HDMI. If it did, I wouldn't bother connecting the DVD player to the receiver.

While I understand the viewpoint of minimizing distances and intermediaries between your audio sources and your audio processor/amplifier, I prefer the simplicity of using my TV as the switch for everything A/V and don't want video intermediaries. Plus as blasphemous as it might be, I use the TV's speakers most of the time on both of my big screen TVs.

If I listened to audio CDs more, I might feel different, but then the supplemental direct connect from the DVD player to the receiver handles it for me without going through the TV anyway.
post #188 of 1302 Old 11-28-2007, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wapow View Post

So, I just got back from Circuit City signing up for DirecTV. The original price online for me was $1099, minus 10% for AAA dicsount [which I went to another CC to get], and now a different CC in Orlando has credited my card $300 for the satellite hook-up. All said and done: A 47" LCD HDTV for $689....short of catastrophic failure, I'm keeping this one!

Wow, nice price. I still dont understand the DTV deal. They dont make you sign or buy anything up front? Seems like there would be a clause stating "If you cancel, you pay $XXX back". What exactly do you do in the store? You can PM me the info if you dont want to cloud this thread up with something OT. Thanks.
post #189 of 1302 Old 11-28-2007, 02:08 PM

Damn wapow, you hit the motherlode. I'm thrilled with $999. For the price you paid, I think I'd be dancing a jig, lol.

I am wondering too, like spydermonkey, how that DirecTV thing works. Are you positive there's no minimum term of at least 12-months? I'd be guessing 24-months...

And vidiot1985, I get your reasoning. When not using the audio system, it makes it easy to switch using the TV. Unfortunately for me, I'm a music and movie-holic. And once you've gone down that road, there's no turning back. I like to "hear" as if the group is LIVE, or "feel" like I'm IN the movie, lol.

post #190 of 1302 Old 11-28-2007, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post

And vidiot1985, I get your reasoning. When not using the audio system, it makes it easy to switch using the TV. Unfortunately for me, I'm a music and movie-holic. And once you've gone down that road, there's no turning back. I like to "hear" as if the group is LIVE, or "feel" like I'm IN the movie, lol.

Oh, and another thing is that we use Picture-in-Picture/Split-Screen *a lot*, so having all the inputs going to the TV is required for that to work.

I was very pleasantly surprised by the versatility of the PiP/SS on the 247 (better than my Mitsubishi that cost nearly twice as much even when considering the super-sale prices I bought these things at).
post #191 of 1302 Old 11-28-2007, 02:30 PM

Is there a differnce between an HD DVD player and an upconverting DVD player? I was looking at a Samsung DVD-HD850, but wasnt sure if it would actually play HD DVD's. I also read somewhere that upconverting wasnt necessary on some this type of LCD????

Thanks to all on this forum, I'm new to HD, and have learned quite a bit from reading these posts. Should have my 247 delivered next week!
post #192 of 1302 Old 11-28-2007, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So how many of you are going to get an extended warranty? THe repair Master warranties do not look like they cover Syntax and the CC warantee is a little pricey. The Olevia warranty is very pricey.
post #193 of 1302 Old 11-28-2007, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhixson View Post

So how many of you are going to get an extended warranty? THe repair Master warranties do not look like they cover Syntax and the CC warantee is a little pricey. The Olevia warranty is very pricey.

I figured this is an in between monitor. Ill pay less today and start saving ($20 a week) and get a new one in 2 years that will be twice as good.
post #194 of 1302 Old 11-28-2007, 02:53 PM

Quote:

As I said before, audio which does not have to pass through the TV for NO reason, should go straight to the processing source. Remember, " the shortest distance between two points..."

Lastly, let me suggest, if you are purchasing a HT receiver or Surround setup, you may wish to invest a bit extra and be sure it has HDMI or Component Video/Optical inputs or, better yet, switching capabilities. You'll be thanking me later...

Thanks a lot for the advice. I guess I never considered that the HD DVR player is the one processing the audio and video. When I get home I will run composite cables from the HD DVR to the HTIB receiver (since it doesn't have HDMI or Component audio input) so that I can get surround sound.

I would like to spend no more than $500 on a new receiver + speakers. I am considering an Onkyo home theater system:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=3HG6G2KMXSYIT

The HDMI on it however is just a pass through, so I guess it doesn't have switching capabilities. Maybe I will spend the $500 on a true HDMI receiver and see if I can use my Sony HTIB speakers with it (they have plugs on the back of the speaker wire but I'm sure I could just cut those off).
post #195 of 1302 Old 11-28-2007, 02:59 PM

jhixson, where are you getting your information that Syntax is not covered by RepairMaster? Considering, I've purchased a plan on my previous Olevia set and had spoken directly with a Warrantech sales consultant at the time, I'd very much like to know where you heard/read that?
post #196 of 1302 Old 11-28-2007, 03:03 PM

newfish, HD-DVD players are the only ones that play HD-DVD's. The HD-Upconversion feature you are reading much about, applies to regular DVD's that will be upconverted to a 720/1080 resolution. These type of players are virtually being given away right now. On BF, I saw one as low as $29.99. Most, if not all, HD-DVD players will have HD-Upconversion built-in.

See one of my prior posts for recommendation on the Toshiba HD-DVD.
post #197 of 1302 Old 11-28-2007, 03:06 PM

Quote:

jhixson, where are you getting your information that Syntax is not covered by RepairMaster? Considering, I've purchased a plan on my previous Olevia set and had spoken directly with a Warrantech sales consultant at the time, I'd very much like to know where you heard/read that?

I was looking on JR.com and this is the discription for the 5 year under $1,500 plan.

Comprehensive Parts and labor coverage for Televisions under $1,500 for a total of 5 Years including the manufacturer's warranty / DOES NOT COVER PLASMA TV

Buying a TV can be quite an investment, especially those new DLP and LCD widescreen, and HDTV capable TV models. When new technologies are concerned, it's an especially wise move to purchase an extended service plan. RepairMaster provides nationwide coverage, in-home (where possible) and a Toll-free number where knowledgeable representatives can help you with virtually any question about your covered TV. This policy covers all TV under $1,500 for a period of 5 years including the manufacture's warranty. Products include rear-projection, CRT, LCD, DLP and LCoS. (Plasma TV models are covered under different plans)
Please Note: Does not cover Syntax, Westinghouse, or Viewsonic products
Protection begins at date of purchase. Should your product need repair simply call RepairMaster's Toll free number. If your equipment is still covered by the manufacturer you maybe directed to contact the manufacturer prior to being referred to an authorized service center.
There are no deductibles or out of pocket expenses.
Convenient toll-free 800 number available 24/7
Nationwide Network of authorized service centers
In the event your product cannot be repaired it is replaced
No deductibles or hidden charges, Repairmaster pays 100% of all covered repairs both parts & labor
Fully transferable in the event you sell or transfer your product to a new owner during the coverage period
Worldwide service option, upon conclusion of the manufacturer's original warranty on product taken outside the US
Convenient phone or Internet registration
This plan must be purchased within 30 days of the purchase of your product. Registration must be completed within 10 days of purchase of this plan

Request a copy of the manufacturer's warranty, click here for details
post #198 of 1302 Old 11-28-2007, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfish View Post

Is there a differnce between an HD DVD player and an upconverting DVD player? ...

The typical upconverting player that you're thinking/reading about only plays old, SD-DVDs. I assume HD-DVD and BluRay players can play SD-DVDs too and upconvert those, but I don't know.

The only reason to get an upconverting SD-DVD player IMHO is if you expect its internal scaler and deinterlacer to work better than the one built into your TV. Well, another reason might be related to simplicity of connections, e.g. if you standardized everything in your setup to HDMI cables and you want a player with HDMI output, which you're likely to get that with an upconverting player.

I got a Panasonic upconverting player that can be configured to put out 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i. Having tried all of them, I leave it at 480p and let my Mitsubishi LT-46131 scale it up for the best picture. I suppose I could try more tweaks and get the best picture possible using 720p or 1080i output from the player, but I didn't bother. The TV itself does a great job.

On my Olevia 247, I have a cheap DVD player outputting SVideo to the TV, letting the TV scale and de-interlace and I think it looks great when watching movies from 10+ feet away on the couch. If I sat closer, I might think otherwise, but I don't.
post #199 of 1302 Old 11-28-2007, 03:20 PM

spooksmcgee, I'd say you're in a precarious situation. Having put together many a system in my day, the normal rule of thumb says to put at least 50% into your speakers, being that's what you'll be hearing.

But, considering the new Flat-Panel craze with all the hookup conundrums, I might be apt to look at your situation a bit differently. In your case, I might suggest getting a solid Receiver with the hookups you need, and temporarily getting by with your other speakers. This would mean having to upgrade to better speakers, hopefully sooner than later. Of course, only you know your long-term budget and what you eventually wish to accomplish.

Another thing to note, if you really want to take advantages of the HDMI benefits, get one with switching or it just defeats the purpose. I have smelled this new "pass-through" scam from a mile away. The benefit of HDMI is to have one cable for both video and audio. With HDMI "pass-through", you will still need an audio connection...say what??? Exactly, what's the purpose. I can run component video cables and do that, so to me this pass-through BS is a joke. It's just another way for the manufacturer's to get people to jump on the bandwagon, not knowing what they're really getting. Look at it this way, why use HDMI if you don't get the full benefit of what it was designed for? It absolutely boggles my mind that they're pushing this pass-through crap in receivers.

Hope this helps.
post #200 of 1302 Old 11-28-2007, 03:31 PM

Quote:

I am wondering too, like spydermonkey, how that DirecTV thing works. Are you positive there's no minimum term of at least 12-months? I'd be guessing 24-months...

Yeah, it's a pretty good gig, but you need to want DirecTV. When the Olevia deal first came out, people were buying the TV and ordering DirecTV in the store (each store gets some kind of kickback for a sign-up). The store would then refund the individual's credit card $300 as part of the promotion. Now, when the person got home, they'd call up DirecTV and cancel their order thereby keeping the TV at the discounted price. That worked for a while until DTV and CC caught on. Now (at least in my local CC) you sign up over the phone at CC and schedule an installation (mine is Friday). Then you take the install receipt back to CC to get the actual $300 refunded.

I actually wanted DTV, so this was a deal for me. The contract is 2 years, but for the first year I get $20/mo off the HD package (normally $64/mo) and the HD receiver for free (normally $9.99/mo) or I could've gotten the HD DVR for $199 ($100 off).

So in a nutshell, by signing up for DTV, I got $300 off my TV, $240 off the HD package for a year, and $120 off the rental fee for the HD box, totaling $660.

Now of course in a year, I'll be paying an extra $30/mo for DTV, but I think I can suck that up. Is this a demented way of thinking???
post #201 of 1302 Old 11-28-2007, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Still no one comments about the black level. Geez. Thanks guys!

Had to move my HT gear list to my profile so click below link to see it:

HT Gear list HERE
post #202 of 1302 Old 11-28-2007, 03:54 PM

Quote:

But, considering the new Flat-Panel craze with all the hookup conundrums, I might be apt to look at your situation a bit differently. In your case, I might suggest getting a solid Receiver with the hookups you need, and temporarily getting by with your other speakers. This would mean having to upgrade to better speakers, hopefully sooner than later. Of course, only you know your long-term budget and what you eventually wish to accomplish.

Thanks again. Sorry for the post that's not directly related to the TV< but you've given me more help in my purchase decision than any of the reviews for that receiver. I will wait and get a new receiver, and buy the speakers when I can afford it. Can you suggest an HDMI receiver with the stuff you suggested for under $600?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFC5 View Post

I have read several threads on this TV and not had anyone mention what you're referring to, so it may be a problem with your set. My only issue with the blacks is the bleeding, which is acceptable for me. The color thing is wierd. Shouldn't you only have varying shades of blacks? The contrast ratio is 1600:1 for this TV isn't it? Is that a good ratio as far as LCDs are concerned? My friend said his was 6000:1 (LG), but I'm guessing that is dynamic or something.

As for the DTV thing, I can confirm it still works as of today. I think many of the stores (BB especially) don't want the hassle of signing you up there so they just have you sign up when you get home. I know people have called today to cancel their DTV and still received the promotion. Sounds like you just got a strict store.
post #203 of 1302 Old 11-28-2007, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Is anyone else having issues with the blacks actually being bluish or purplish with dim lighting? Especially when off angle some? I posted this earlier but I have heard if anyone else noticed this or is it just my set.

My friend bought his at the same time but returned it due to the black levels.

Can someone say something about this EITHER way so I know if the store has a bad batch?

Thanks!

For me, the black levels depend on the source. The blacks look better if I have an HD source going into the TV. When I watch a DVD, its not as black. Using the "Lighting" setting helps a little. As far as angles, the black does change to grey.

Im not sure what to expect from $1k TV. My MacBook Pro notebook has great black levels on all angles, but its also a smaller screen (15") and newer technology (it uses LED backlight vs tube).
post #204 of 1302 Old 11-28-2007, 03:58 PM

Quote:

What do you want us to say?

Basically, it could be better, but it's adequate. I haven't noticed a blue/purple shift when viewing at off angles, but I haven't been looking for more "problems".

As it is, my wife says "we're not returning it!" because of the heft and hassle of bringing it back to the store :-). Fortunately I'm pretty pleased with the set despite the issues I've mentioned here and in the other 247 thread.
post #205 of 1302 Old 11-28-2007, 04:10 PM

spooksmcgee, I can certainly make a few rec's. I suggest you PM me, and I'll answer you that way. This will keep the thread on topic.
post #206 of 1302 Old 11-28-2007, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spydermonkey311 View Post

For me, the black levels depend on the source. The blacks look better if I have an HD source going into the TV. When I watch a DVD, its not as black. Using the "Lighting" setting helps a little. As far as angles, the black does change to grey.

Im not sure what to expect from $1k TV. My MacBook Pro notebook has great black levels on all angles, but its also a smaller screen (15") and newer technology (it uses LED backlight vs tube).

SpyderMonkey,

You have to calibrate each input seperately. If you calibrate the STB and it looks good that does not calibrate the DVD input so that may be why the black levels are different.
post #207 of 1302 Old 11-28-2007, 04:23 PM

Quote:

but have only used it on the DirecTV HD satellite box.

(corrected spelling)

I have the HR20, can you tell me if you could get the DirecTV remote to work? It didn't work for either Syntax or Olevia.
post #208 of 1302 Old 11-28-2007, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRob View Post

(corrected spelling)

I have the HR20, can you tell me if you could get the DirecTV remote to work? It didn't work for either Syntax or Olevia.

I ordered a new rc64 remote. It is the same remote but has more TV remote codes. With the new remote code 11610 works.
post #209 of 1302 Old 11-28-2007, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

SpyderMonkey,

You have to calibrate each input seperately. If you calibrate the STB and it looks good that does not calibrate the DVD input so that may be why the black levels are different.

I didnt know the color settings were for each input. Ill have to give that a try tonight.
post #210 of 1302 Old 11-28-2007, 04:46 PM

Quote:

Please Note: Does not cover Syntax, Westinghouse, or Viewsonic products

Thanks jhixson, I will get to the bottom of this...stay tuned.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Olevia , Olevia 24 Class Led Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page