Official Olevia 242T Owner's Thread - AVS Forum
1 2  3  ... Last
LCD Flat Panel Displays > Official Olevia 242T Owner's Thread
extermin8r's Avatar extermin8r 02:31 PM 11-28-2007
I cannot find a thread on this TV, so I am making one so we can get some discussion going. I believe this set is different enough from the 542i to warrant a separate thread.

I picked up this TV from Office Depot on Black Friday for $899 with a $200 MIR bringing the price down to $699... an absolute steal in my opinion (I remember a couple years back getting my Olevia 27" for 799 and being ecstatic at the price, lol.) I know others may have gotten this BF deal as well.

Let's get the discussion going, I'm heading out right now, but would love to hear how people are tweaking their settings for the best picture.

ajbblues's Avatar ajbblues 03:52 PM 11-28-2007
Is this a fluke? Or are others seeing this too?
extermin8r's Avatar extermin8r 06:52 PM 11-28-2007
I have not hooked mine up to a 1080p source so I have not experienced this. Has anyone else experienced the white jagged bar the top of some images? I noticed by bumping the v-position up the white bar disappears, but on some stations it seems like bumping this up causes a bar to appear on the bottom Im having trouble finding the perfect v-positioning.
Blogball's Avatar Blogball 11:55 PM 11-28-2007
I just bought this TV on BF and at OD as well. Thanks for starting the thread I have been commenting on the 542i thread but I will keep it here now. Yes I do see a white jagged bar on some channels too and also fiddled around with the v setting. Seems like once you set it it comes back again. Its just on a few channels and it comes and goes. Mine is hooked up through a Scientific Atlanta box via Time Warner Cable. It shows 1080i when I get to the HD channels. By the way what is the difference between 1080i & 1080p?
This box supports a HDMI cable so I just hooked that up tonight for the first time.
There was not a big noticeable difference but it's nice to have one cable instead of 5 with the component connection. There is one small problem with the HDMI connection. When I'm channel surfing there seems to be a delay for the TV to recognize the signal. It goes to blue screen and says "No Signal" for about 1 second and then it's OK. I don't know if this is a cable box or a cable problem. I did buy a really inexpensive HDMI cable but everybody tells me the cost of the cable should not matter. So I might go back to the Component hook up if I can't find the problem. Maybe somebody reading this thread can help.
extermin8r's Avatar extermin8r 04:12 PM 11-29-2007
I have not experienced that issue with an HDMI hookup (the no signal), I am using a Dish receiver though.
jerrygap's Avatar jerrygap 01:10 PM 12-03-2007
I just bought this TV on BF and at OD as well, got in line at 4:45am for a 6am opening.

The picture is excellent for the price and it has many inputs. (2 HDMI)

Thanks to everyone who has posted in this forum on the subject of Olevia LCDs and the various models, it helped me make my decision.

The only problem I have is with my upconverting DVD player, which is squashing the picture vertically. The LCD displays that the signal is 1080i via HDMI. (DVD model: hts-philips 3555.) I will test an older DVD player tonight to see if I have the same issues.

Jerry
garth10's Avatar garth10 01:18 PM 12-03-2007
I just bit the bullet and picked up the 242T at OD for 849. Have not tried to hook it up yet because I am an idiot and will wait for my other half to get here. Will order the HDTV cable box from cox and see how it goes. Some people are having problems with surround sound and I hope that is not going to be a problem. I am running it threw my reciever and plan to keep it that way.
bavarder13's Avatar bavarder13 01:27 PM 12-04-2007
there is a lag in guitar hero, it is difficult to calibrate it just right....any ideas about overcoming the delay in audio and video?

Other than that, no issues.....not a single dead pixel that i can see, no issues with sound, inputs, picture quality whatsoever.....

I will keep posted on any new developments....i am switching to the Wii HD cable from composite to see if that makes a difference....
Keiths1's Avatar Keiths1 09:06 PM 12-06-2007
I am new to this forum and am looking for some help. I purchased a new 242T Sunday & have been watching it with a standard definition receiver box (Verizon Fios). I was happy with how good a picture I was getting even though it wasn't HD. I also have a 52" Sharp Aquos & non HD channels are frustrating to watch although the HD channels are great. Today I received a new HD receiver box from Verizon for the 242T. Now many of my HD channels do not give me a full screen. In fact some have a white line at the top, with left & right blocks around 5" per side. I wasn't having this problem with the SD receiver. I have experimented with full screen, zoom 16:9 adjustments , etc... without any success. I called tech support from Verizon & they blamed the TV. My 52" Sharp gets all the stations with full screen. The HD/DVR box is by Motorola & is model QIP6416-2. Any ideas or solutions? Is it really the TV & will I have to live with it?
Blogball's Avatar Blogball 11:01 AM 12-07-2007
Keiths1, I had a similar problem with my Time Warner Scientific Atlanta box.
It ended up being a setting in the cable box. Try to go to your video settings via menu on your remote and change the setting to 1080i this is the HD setting and should bring all HD channels to full screen.
Hope that helps.
STVA1's Avatar STVA1 12:02 PM 12-07-2007
I got this TV a couple weeks ago and have enjoyed it since. I don't have an audio system yet, but is it true that the TV won't input 5.1 sound from OTA HD even over the Toslink/coaxial? I have read that before. That is a disappointing mark on a great TV.
garth10's Avatar garth10 05:50 PM 12-07-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiths1 View Post

I am new to this forum and am looking for some help. I purchased a new 242T Sunday & have been watching it with a standard definition receiver box (Verizon Fios). I was happy with how good a picture I was getting even though it wasn't HD. I also have a 52" Sharp Aquos & non HD channels are frustrating to watch although the HD channels are great. Today I received a new HD receiver box from Verizon for the 242T. Now many of my HD channels do not give me a full screen. In fact some have a white line at the top, with left & right blocks around 5" per side. I wasn't having this problem with the SD receiver. I have experimented with full screen, zoom 16:9 adjustments , etc... without any success. I called tech support from Verizon & they blamed the TV. My 52" Sharp gets all the stations with full screen. The HD/DVR box is by Motorola & is model QIP6416-2. Any ideas or solutions? Is it really the TV & will I have to live with it?

I have the same problem with the line on some HD channels only. I did mess with the cable box which is from Cox but it did not help. With Cox, you have like 700 channels which are all local hd. They don't go full screen. Regular TV if in a HD broadcast is full screen. I have another week before I can take it back so any input would be helpful.
Keiths1's Avatar Keiths1 11:13 AM 12-08-2007
I tried the possible fixes offered by this forum, unfortunately it didn't resolve the probelm, thanks any way. I spoke to a Verizon tech over the phone to try to resolve my non full screen issues to no avail, then tried tech support for Olevia. The tech gave me some possible fixes to try but none resolved the problem. While I had the tech on the phone & asked about remote control codes. She told me basically codes for this tv haven't been released yet? That sounded kind of funny. I know that if I can't use one remote to do basic things (volume etc...) & I can't get full screen on HD, I am not going to be happy with the TV. When loosing 5" on each side, it's like watching a 32" TV. I paid for a 42" TV. I am starting to believe there are some compatibility issues with this TV and other equipment. It's a shame beacause I love the quality of picture the TV produces, I like the look of the TV etc... but am not able to use my TV to the fullest. I have a few days yet to see if I can resolve these problems & if not I guess I'll have to return the TV & go with another brand. By the way, I know I can get a learning remote to resolve most remote issues, but that seems a little cheesy to have to do. Still any ideas out there, I'm all ears.
cyber321's Avatar cyber321 08:26 PM 12-10-2007
Can anyone who has this TV tell me if the power supply for this TV accepts European 240v 50Hz?
jerrygap's Avatar jerrygap 08:37 PM 12-11-2007
finally, after some tweaking...

for my dvd player (philips hts-3555), I had to do two settings: (1) tv format 16:9, not 4:3 (2) hdmi setup to auto or 1080i.

for my htpc (sagetv with sagemc), I had to set the "video renderer" setting to VMR9.

now I am etremely happy.
SigmaCentauri's Avatar SigmaCentauri 10:31 AM 12-15-2007
Are there any ghosting or lag problems with video games? On my 32'' Olevia there was pretty awful ghosting when playing in 480i and 480p. The video and audio also got off sync a lot in normal TV. Of course that TV has the ATI processor which I heard wasn't very good. Also, has anybody tried downloading a driver update off the olevia website to fix the problems?
superjett's Avatar superjett 11:32 AM 12-25-2007
I just picked one up on Christmas Eve at Target for $560, on clearance for $800 and 30% off for the display model, then added the 3 year warranty for a total of $652 out the door.

Beautiful picture with the default settings, watched some of Madagascar last night a local hd channel at 1080i, amazing. I was surprised how much more detailed it is over a dvd.
xkluziv209's Avatar xkluziv209 11:39 PM 12-25-2007
superjett i did the same thing but i paid 606 with the 3 year warranty i got 40% off everything (i work there).
superjett's Avatar superjett 06:16 AM 12-27-2007
Last night I moved my Myth box (Shuttle xpc, like 5 years old) up into the entertainment center and hooked it up to the 242t, great picture. My wife watched a Harry Potter dvd on it, I wasn't that impressed with the picture coming from the pc. I'm going to try it on the dvd player via component for a comparison, it may just be the film because it's kind of a dark movie overall, we'll see.

I have been fairly impressed with some other content, Madagascar and Pirates of the Caribbean were awesome in hd ota, I just need to make sure I'm feeding it a good signal.
binks1524's Avatar binks1524 11:09 AM 12-31-2007
Does anyone know if i can hook up my pc sattelite to this tv?
superjett's Avatar superjett 12:41 PM 12-31-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by binks1524 View Post

Does anyone know if i can hook up my pc sattelite to this tv?

? I'm not sure what you want, but it has coax, vga, component, composite, s-video, hdmi inputs which covers just about anything you need.
Andrewg@16paws's Avatar Andrewg@16paws 04:52 AM 01-01-2008
Sigh, I have bought a second Olevia again and I am forced to use its tuner until my HD DVR and scaler arrive with my household goods. From my first experience with them 2-3 years ago, I have come to understand that they epitomize "Chinese Engineering." Ie., awkward, incomplete and fragile. So I was delighted to discover that since that time they had discovered channel labeling - bringing them up to the mid-1990s! Alas, after going through every one of the hundred analog and digital channels available to me I discovered two very annoying things about my 242T:

1. On analog channels, if station ID is transmitted in the XDS data, it will instantly replace your hard fought entered data instantly, and for ever. Unfortunately, if your local affiliate is some local boob operation, they will leave the network feed data in the stream, resulting in station names like "NET6". There does not seem to be a way to defeat this "feature".

2. On digital channels, you can spend all day long entering channel names and they will continue to work correctly until you power cycle the TV. Then the next time you visit them, they are replaced with "RFXX-YY" for no apparent reason. Ah, Chinese engineering at its finest.

Also, the "DISPLAY" button on the remote does not really seem to do much, at least on my cable network. The program XDS data does not appear for analog channels and PSIP data is MIA for digital channels. I am running th 21B firmware, which I believe is the latest.

Does anyone have a work around for the two channel name problems or will I just need to buy another Olevia in 2-3 years and hope their 3rd rate engineers have advanced to turn of the millenium functionality?

And is there any hope that they will ever learn the finer details of image scaling and positioning or are they forever mired in an analog CRT world of overscan and bizarre aspect ratios?

Note: this is all on cable, with cable analog channel spacing and QAM digital tuning. I have not tried OTA yet.

Andrew
superjett's Avatar superjett 05:49 AM 01-01-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewg@16paws View Post

Sigh, I have bought a second Olevia again and I am forced to use its tuner until my HD DVR and scaler arrive with my household goods. From my first experience with them 2-3 years ago, I have come to understand that they epitomize "Chinese Engineering." Ie., awkward, incomplete and fragile. So I was delighted to discover that since that time they had discovered channel labeling - bringing them up to the mid-1990s! Alas, after going through every one of the hundred analog and digital channels available to me I discovered two very annoying things about my 242T:

1. On analog channels, if station ID is transmitted in the XDS data, it will instantly replace your hard fought entered data instantly, and for ever. Unfortunately, if your local affiliate is some local boob operation, they will leave the network feed data in the stream, resulting in station names like "NET6". There does not seem to be a way to defeat this "feature".

2. On digital channels, you can spend all day long entering channel names and they will continue to work correctly until you power cycle the TV. Then the next time you visit them, they are replaced with "RFXX-YY" for no apparent reason. Ah, Chinese engineering at its finest.

Also, the "DISPLAY" button on the remote does not really seem to do much, at least on my cable network. The program XDS data does not appear for analog channels and PSIP data is MIA for digital channels. I am running th 21B firmware, which I believe is the latest.

Does anyone have a work around for the two channel name problems or will I just need to buy another Olevia in 2-3 years and hope their 3rd rate engineers have advanced to turn of the millenium functionality?

And is there any hope that they will ever learn the finer details of image scaling and positioning or are they forever mired in an analog CRT world of overscan and bizarre aspect ratios?

Note: this is all on cable, with cable analog channel spacing and QAM digital tuning. I have not tried OTA yet.

Andrew

I too have 21b firmware and the channel labeling issues, though here the labels revert back to the callsigns, so it's not that big of an issue except for a couple of channels.

As far as scaling/positioning, it's perfect with my 4 sources--ota/cable/computer/dvd, and the zoom aspects work properly, etc.

On the Chinese comments, you knew going in what you were buying so you really can't complain, the price offsets those issues.
maximusnt's Avatar maximusnt 01:18 PM 01-02-2008
I'm seeing the 242T (purchased on Monday from Target) displaying 1080p content both from an SA HD box, and a DVD player with HDMI.

I'm wondering though if it's only recognizing the quality of the signal it's getting, and not actually putting out a non-interlaced picture. Has anyone got a really slow-motion camera to check? LOL

How would we actually tell if the display was interlaced or not?
Tinman <VW-TDI>'s Avatar Tinman <VW-TDI> 10:46 PM 01-02-2008
When it says 1080p for the input, what that means is that this TV can recognize and accept a 1080p input and then it scales it down to the native 1360x768 display for output. Same thing with 1080i signal. The signal is scaled down to 1360x768.
deitiphobia's Avatar deitiphobia 01:04 AM 01-03-2008
I have had the Olevia 242T now for a few days and just wanted to leave a few impressions.

- This set looks amazing when using Xbox 360. I used both component and VGA outputs from the Xbox 360 and found that the VGA input looks slightly better. When using component output with the 360 I noticed some subtle blurriness when moving quickly in Halo 3. When I connected via VGA cables I did not get that effect. It feels like playing a PC game on a PC. I have the resolution set to 1366x768 from the 360. That is the native resolution of the monitor and is what should be used. Now I will say that either way it still looked great, but to my eyes there was a noticeable improvement with VGA. I got further improvement in image quality by selecting 1:1 Aspect (You can toggle Aspect by pressing the Aspect button on the Remote)

-I read somewhere that someone got 1080p input working. My experience with 1080p (1920 x 1080) signal from my Xbox 360 via VGA cable is that it is not recognized. When I tried 1080p via component cables the screen showed but it was split in half oddly mirroring parts of the display on both halves of the screen. Needless to say it was unusable at 1080p from either component or VGA.

-I have not properly calibrated the set yet as I am waiting for Digital Video Essentials HD-DVD to arrive. I will say that it appears that the Black levels look pretty darn good even before calibration...so I can't wait for the final results but I'm sure the Image will look great once properly calibrated. I can definitely see there is excessive red push with default settings (as in any new uncalibrated TV set). I look forward to fixing that with calibration.

-I have a personal preference to watch movies in 6500K setting for the VGA input from my xbox 360...but I leave the TV side on the Default color temp. I suggest you leave settings largely at defaults unless your using a calibration DVD to adjust appropriately. Minor adjustments to Brightness and contrast may be OK but don't over do it unless your using an appropriate calibration DVD.

-The built in speakers are OK but nothing spectacular and you should definitely use your dedicated Surround Sound system if you have one. TV speakers can be shut off via a menu option. I'm spoiled by my previous Sony Television that had amazing built in speakers so take this with a grain of salt.

-Menu's on the TV are very awkward at first. You get used to it after a while and I actually find that being able to adjust things while not completely obscuring the screen is actually pretty cool. But other times I wish it would give you a more traditional menu system to make changes.

-Adjusting display settings will apply only to the currently selected source. I mention this only because it's not readily apparent or at least it wasn't to me at the time.

-The 242T has an excellent ATSC tuner that does a great job at picking up over the air digital broadcast signals. My older Sony CRT HDTV was only able to receive 4 or 5 channels. The 242T had no problem receiving over 15 channels with the same rabbit ears antenna. I even have the antenna sloppily placed behind the TV and the reception is still excellent.

-The 242T only has 1 coaxil input which thus far has lead to my only major disappointment with the TV and for me this is a real doozy! It appears to me that the TV can only be set to receive only Cable TV or only Over the Air channels via the coaxil input. So not only do I have to swap cables in the back of the set to between my cable and the rabbit ears...but I also have to go into the settings and tell the TV to search for channels each and every time I want to switch between Cable and Over the Air channels. I sure hope that I'm missing something and that there's a way to simply switch between Cable and Over the Air. I really like to watch Discover Channel and CNN on cable but often watch ABC, CBS & NBC in HiDef via the ATSC Tuner. If anyone knows of a better way to go about this....please let me know!!!

-The 242T displays Analog Cable and Over the air signals pretty darn good. Albeit that standard def signals can only look so good on any HDTV. I think at this point I'm just getting sick of crappy standard def programming. I can't wait till All Standard Def broadcast are turned off in 2009.

-The remote control is not bad. It lets you do the basics as well as Aspect, Freeze, Lighting (Bright Room, Dark Room, Medium Room), Favorite, CC, Auto (This auto adjust the image), Sleep, Time, Source, Display, Audio and Menu. The remote is not back lit. Do yourself a favor and buy a Logitech Harmony remote.

-I checked on the Olevia.com website for a Firmware update. It requires you to register before attempting to search for firmware update for your television by Serial Number. It reported that there were no firmware updates available for my set. I did just purchase it from Target on Dec 30, 2007.

-No DVI port...but remember that HDMI = DVI once you get an adapter cable from monoprice.com for $5. That being said I'm happy to have VGA as you can use this monitor with any laptop quite easily.

-TV looks sharp. Aesthetically speaking it gets the job done and thank heavens it's Black and not Grey or Silver. Speakers can be removed but honestly why in the hell would you want to? Has VESA standard holes in the back for standard wall mounting kits.

-Read somewhere that this TV has a glass protective screen...but it is decidedly NOT glass. I would be careful cleaning this set and for the love of all that is Holy I would never let someone swing a Wii controller anywhere near my TV!

-I noticed the first few times of powering up the TV set that it took about about a minute to "warmup" and for the TV to reach it's full brightness. Now wheter or not you notice this happening or not on your other TV sets...pretty much all TV's need to warm up before you get full brightness and accurate colors. the Digital Video Essentials DVD actually advises you to wait 30 minutes after powering on TV set before proceeding with Calibration to get accurate results. The set takes about 14 seconds before you see an image from your input signal of choice on the screen from the time you press the power button.
superjett's Avatar superjett 04:30 AM 01-03-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by deitiphobia View Post

-The 242T only has 1 coaxil input which thus far has lead to my only major disappointment with the TV and for me this is a real doozy! It appears to me that the TV can only be set to receive only Cable TV or only Over the Air channels via the coaxil input. So not only do I have to swap cables in the back of the set to between my cable and the rabbit ears...but I also have to go into the settings and tell the TV to search for channels each and every time I want to switch between Cable and Over the Air channels. I sure hope that I'm missing something and that there's a way to simply switch between Cable and Over the Air. I really like to watch Discover Channel and CNN on cable but often watch ABC, CBS & NBC in HiDef via the ATSC Tuner. If anyone knows of a better way to go about this....please let me know!!!

-I checked on the Olevia.com website for a Firmware update. It requires you to register before attempting to search for firmware update for your television by Serial Number. It reported that there were no firmware updates available for my set. I did just purchase it from Target on Dec 30, 2007.

For the firmware, get into the ftp site, then follow the directories for the model number and you'll find the most current firmware, even though olevia.com doesn't show one available there is, 21b is the version. I updated but saw zero change in anything so it must have been a very minor fix/update to something.

On the coax input, could you use your dvd's tuner for the regular cable channels and output that via component or other? We have a digital cable box so I'm using the s-video out of that for regular cable while the coax is for hd ota.
deitiphobia's Avatar deitiphobia 09:32 AM 01-03-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by superjett View Post

For the firmware, get into the ftp site, then follow the directories for the model number and you'll find the most current firmware, even though olevia.com doesn't show one available there is, 21b is the version. I updated but saw zero change in anything so it must have been a very minor fix/update to something.

On the coax input, could you use your dvd's tuner for the regular cable channels and output that via component or other? We have a digital cable box so I'm using the s-video out of that for regular cable while the coax is for hd ota.

I unfortunately am not using a cable box or any device that has it's own tuner to then use the S-Video or component outputs from. I just use standard cable feed directly into the 242T.

And the problem wouldn't be so bad if the TV set remembered the presets. But as it stands now I must do a complete channel search for either Cable or Over The Air each and every single time I switch between cable or Antenna. This is just inexcusable poor design in my opinion. I am going to call Olevia Tech Support and see if I can get a solution or if nothing else at least I'll make my complaint known to them.
superjett's Avatar superjett 09:35 AM 01-03-2008
I haven't looked, but can you add the channels manually? Like, do the channel scan for cable, switch to ota and add those channels manually?
deitiphobia's Avatar deitiphobia 09:39 AM 01-03-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by superjett View Post

I haven't looked, but can you add the channels manually? Like, do the channel scan for cable, switch to ota and add those channels manually?

I did give that a try last night already and it did not work. There is no way to manually add a digital over the Air channel apparently. I could not enter 7.1 or 4.2 for example. It would only let me enter whole numbers like 8, 9 or 10.
1 2  3  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop