Sharp "OPC" feature... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 12-04-2007, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I seem to be having a problem with the OPC feature on my set. When I activate it, it doesn't seem to work! I'm in a dark room, I turn the lights on and nothing happens! I turn the lights off and nothing happens!

It only seems to work when I manually go into the picture setting with the remote and either turn the feature ON or OFF (then you can see how the brightness either dims or brightens.

I have called Sharp on this and they can't seem to figure out why it's not working. Is this just a 'gimmick feature' that is just for marketing purposes or is this really suppose to work?

I'm kinda stumped!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-04-2007, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Why use it? Because a feature is on a TV doesn't mean it's worth a crap and OPC IMO is crapola. I own two Sharps with it and used it for about ten minutes a year ago and hated it and simply turned the friggin thing off! Takes all of ten seconds to turn it off.

It's an option not a locked in default. I like my panel bright and hate that stupid dimming on and off crap like some friggin artificial circuitry can decide when to dim better than my eyeballs can - B.S.. Love my Sharps BRIGHT and Colorful but hate the OPC feature as I find it useless and annoying!

Leave it off unless it works for your viewing environ and preferences but in my bright sunny room I hate it day or night! Definitely the most useless feature on the Sharp panel.

Samsung 75HU8550w/SEK-3500-UHDVideoPk, 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Philips Folio Soundbar
XBoxOne/360, FPS's Borderlands 1/2, EDF 2017/2025, Halo's
post #3 of 15 Old 12-04-2007, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
It seems to work as desired on my 32" Sharp (I like it on) but I've read nothing but complaints on all larger sharp lcds with this feature.

Most don't seem to use it anyway, so I wouldn't worry about it. It is possible that the OPC factors are set wrong though, and likely resetting your tv would fix it back to the default range.

cheers

1080p, where marketing genius and science fiction collide!
post #4 of 15 Old 12-04-2007, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

I started a thread on it because it was a technical question and I wanted to know what was up. Why is that wrong?
post #5 of 15 Old 12-04-2007, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

I have the same thing. On movie mode it automatically turns on, but nothing changes. I have it in a dark room, and then I even tried shining a flashlight at the sensor, but nothing happens?

Strange...
post #6 of 15 Old 12-05-2007, 07:19 AM

Liked: 11
To me it doesn't seem to be very receptive to changes in lighting from lamps and such. But when I have lots of daylight coming into the room from windows it seems to have greater affect. I had the OPC set ON: DISPLAY for a while and during a sunny day when someone would walk by the TV screen, you could see the leaves changing on the screen. During the night with lamp lighting, it wouldn't change so much. The amount of noticeable change is determined by the OPC range settings in the Advanced Menu. A wider range difference the more noticeable it is. But you probably already knew that.
post #7 of 15 Old 12-06-2007, 02:24 PM

i have the lc-65d93u and i use it and i can tell the difference with it on...it looks better with it than not...but both still look good

i tightned the opc range to -6 to +6 rather than the default range of -16 to +16

C
post #8 of 15 Old 12-06-2007, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Did you reset the tv like I suggested?

1080p, where marketing genius and science fiction collide!
post #9 of 15 Old 05-20-2008, 09:37 PM

I just discovered OPC when calibrating my set. The Sharp has a manual backlight setting and it would seem like the OPC just changes this.

It seems to turn down the back lighting too much in a dark room though and you lose the whites but that might be just because I calibrated it with OPC off. Perhaps if I recalibrated it with OPC on, then it would compensate reasonably accurately for room brightness.
post #10 of 15 Old 05-21-2008, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

Why use it? Because a feature is on a TV doesn't mean it's worth a crap and OPC IMO is crapola... B.S.. Love my Sharps BRIGHT and Colorful but hate the OPC feature as I find it useless and annoying! Leave it off unless it works for your viewing environ and preferences but in my bright sunny room I hate it day or night! Definitely the most useless feature on the Sharp panel.

Ha, ha, ha -- but do you really feel strongly about this?!

I leave all the gizmo circuitry off and like settings where the set is on the dark side but still has great shadow detail. Looks more 3D to me that way. I do have contrast and green saturation set very high though.
post #11 of 15 Old 05-21-2008, 04:59 AM

I have sharpness off, all of the noise filters off, etc. But since one needs a calibration for when the lights are on in the room, and for when the lights are off in the room -- it would seem useful to have a set automatically select between those. I had hope this would suit that purpose. So far, it has not worked as I had hoped. The only way to know for sure is to re-calibrate with it on.
post #12 of 15 Old 05-21-2008, 06:16 AM
TNG
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

Why use it? Because a feature is on a TV doesn't mean it's worth a crap and OPC IMO is crapola. I own two Sharps with it and used it for about ten minutes a year ago and hated it and simply turned the friggin thing off! Takes all of ten seconds to turn it off.

It's an option not a locked in default. I like my panel bright and hate that stupid dimming on and off crap like some friggin artificial circuitry can decide when to dim better than my eyeballs can - B.S.. Love my Sharps BRIGHT and Colorful but hate the OPC feature as I find it useless and annoying!

Wow, can you tell us how you really feel?

I agree. I think the whole auto dim and brighten thing annoying as well.
I loose some of the shadow detail when I have it on and it gets dark. Now every input is set for manual

There is a Range for the OPC auto adjustment under the advanced menu I think. This will limit how bright and how dark the automatic adjust will go. If you like it on the bright side you can bias the adjustment to the higher end, if you like it on the dark side, nuff said.

I don't know about this, but does anybody know if the sensor is on the front of the set? In dark rooms when the screen goes bright, and that light reflects off of something near the front and in turn that light hits the sensor, it can cause strange things to happen to the brightness levels. The ambient light has not changed but the screen brightness changes according to what is being displayed.
post #13 of 15 Old 05-21-2008, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 902
I had issues with the OPC control on early Sharp displays but the newer ones with an OPC adjustment are much better

To each his own, but to some it is an essential control:

Consider someone who sees an LCD display in a brightly lit showroom and then discovers it is way too bright when viewing at night

On the Sharp 94 series the sensor is located on the front bezel: in addition to the menu adjustment try a small piece of generic masking tape over the sensor to further reduce its sensitivity

please take the high road in every post
if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
post #14 of 15 Old 11-24-2012, 11:34 PM

Yes sir total baloney.Just curious if you may know how to turn this splendid feature off without the factory remote?
post #15 of 15 Old 11-25-2012, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 102
It's right at the top of the Menu under Picture Adjustments to switch it On or Off.
On the last page of Advanced, you can tailor it to make it fit your needs if you decide to leave it on.
I would recommend the Low setting at 0 and the high just enough boosted for your bright conditions...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays