LG 47 LCDF LCD owners thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-11-2007, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently purchased LG 47 inch LCDF model and would like to invite other owners to share their experience.

Setting that work for me (try it, makes huge difference for picture quality)

Contrast 85
Brightness 40
Color 60
Tint 0
Sharpness 37
Backlight 80
Black level high

cinime 3.2 mode - off
aspect 16.9
xd - manual
xd contrast - off
xd color - off
xd noise - on
color temp - user (all are set on 0)

Pros:
1. Picture quality
2. Fast response time and no blurry or image break on fast moving pictures (for most of the HD channels please read cons for more)
3. Value for money
4. Features rich
5. Lot of connections

Cons:
1. However some channels look blurry and picture breaks up on fast moving images (I think that has more to do with my cable connection, I am trying Direct TV soon, will keep you posted on how it goes).
2. Very limited documentation in the manual provided, have to print out the PDF from the CD
3. Model is relatively new so no experience on any long tems problems.
4. Out of the box setting are too bright (dynamic mode) had to adjust to get the best picture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-12-2007, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

am i the only one who purchased this?
post #3 of 9 Old 12-12-2007, 07:23 AM

Yea i tried similar settings for the most part picture is good on hd some sd channels are below par...I have comcast some sd channels are really good then others are poor
post #4 of 9 Old 12-27-2007, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjohnson34 View Post

Yea i tried similar settings for the most part picture is good on hd some sd channels are below par...I have comcast some sd channels are really good then others are poor

I believe the channels that look good are being sent to your box digitally, while some are still analog signals.

I have this TV and it looks great with my 360, PS3, and Wii via components. I'm hopefully going to be getting some HDMI cables and perhaps a hdmi/dvi cable to hook my computer up this next week.

Those settings are the same ones I used and the TV looks good.

Subscribed

Edit: Also I noticed that the other thread here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...47LC7DF&page=4 has the backlight set at 17 and this seems a little dark to me, but I'm no expert either. Anyone know which is the better value?

Blu-Rays: 12
Avg Price of Blu-Rays: $6.36
Thank you Blu-Ray Deals Thread!
post #5 of 9 Old 12-29-2007, 10:52 AM

Anybody?

Blu-Rays: 12
Avg Price of Blu-Rays: $6.36
Thank you Blu-Ray Deals Thread!
post #6 of 9 Old 01-06-2008, 01:49 PM

Hi everyone. I just bought this TV yesterday locally for $1499. I didn't have a chance to pickup my HD cable box yet, so I'm still running regular cable... which means that picture isn't that great.

I did hook up my Xbox 360 over component, and it looks great. I also tried using VGA, which does appear a bit sharper to me.

I tried the settings listed above, and it did help the picture a little, but nothing drastic in my opinion.

I think the recommendation for the backlight is to help with the black levels. If it doesn't look good to you, I'd recommend setting it to whatever looks good to you. In my opinion, settings are all relative... what looks good to others may not look good to you. You might also consider getting a calibration DVD.

I noticed that the same store has the Sony KDL-46V2500 on sale starting today for the exact same price. Anyone have any opinion on this TV compared to the LG? I could take it back and exchange it for no cost.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-07-2008, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdoib View Post

I recently purchased LG 47 inch LCDF model and would like to invite other owners to share their experience.

Setting that work for me (try it, makes huge difference for picture quality)

Contrast 85
Brightness 40
Color 60
Tint 0
Sharpness 37
Backlight 80
Black level high

cinime 3.2 mode - off
aspect 16.9
xd - manual
xd contrast - off
xd color - off
xd noise - on
color temp - user (all are set on 0)

Pros:
1. Picture quality
2. Fast response time and no blurry or image break on fast moving pictures (for most of the HD channels please read cons for more)
3. Value for money
4. Features rich
5. Lot of connections

Cons:
1. However some channels look blurry and picture breaks up on fast moving images (I think that has more to do with my cable connection, I am trying Direct TV soon, will keep you posted on how it goes).
2. Very limited documentation in the manual provided, have to print out the PDF from the CD
3. Model is relatively new so no experience on any long tems problems.
4. Out of the box setting are too bright (dynamic mode) had to adjust to get the best picture.

I found setting the aspect ratio to "auto" works better if you've got some SD programming. Also, unless you're using HDMI, you won't be able to adjust the black level.

Also, anyone know decent descriptions for each of the delivered picture modes (i.e. Intelligent Eye, Dynamic, Standard and Mild)?

Also, I noticed that the TV can tune both CATV (analog cable) and CADTV (digital cable). I find this odd as most times you need a box to get digital cable. Does this mean that the TV has a built-in digital cable tuner?
post #8 of 9 Old 01-20-2008, 11:23 AM

I'm on my 3rd TV for this exact model number. Here is a run down of the issues I've had:

1 - vertical lines down the right side of the panel.
2 - sound would turn off when switching thru some channels
3 - same as above
4 - I'm going back to Best Buy over the next two weeks to do another return.

I chalked this up to bad luck the first two times. I'm convinced now LG puts out crap, at least in the South Florida/Best Buy region. This will now be my fourth TV.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-21-2008, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm_0001 View Post

I'm on my 3rd TV for this exact model number. Here is a run down of the issues I've had:

1 - vertical lines down the right side of the panel.
2 - sound would turn off when switching thru some channels
3 - same as above
4 - I'm going back to Best Buy over the next two weeks to do another return.

I chalked this up to bad luck the first two times. I'm convinced now LG puts out crap, at least in the South Florida/Best Buy region. This will now be my fourth TV.

I've had the problem with the sound turning off, but it appears to be an issue with my cable box when using HDMI and switching between channels with different resolutions. I contacted the cable company, and they said that it was an issue with the software on their boxes. Since I switched to using component, I don't have the issue anymore.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page