vizio vs samsung - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 64 Old 12-20-2007, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there a test to see which is the better set between Vizio and Samsung?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 Old 12-21-2007, 12:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Samsung is a top-tier company whose panels compete with Sony & Sharp while Vizio is an economy brand better compared with Olevia & Westinghouse.

The other thing to consider is that "better" is subjective ... theres no question in my mind that Samsungs have much better pictures, but if you can afford a 50 inch Vizio vs a 37 inch Samsung, the Vizio may in fact be "better" for you.

To fully answer this question you really need to provide more information, like your budget & the room it will be used in for starters.
post #3 of 64 Old 12-21-2007, 07:03 AM

With everything being equal (IE: size for size, tech for tech, etc...) a Samsung set will generally be better than anything from Vizio. However, price is a factor most of the time when people are looking for TVs. Size is also very important, as you want a TV that fits your viewing distances and needs. With that being said (and agreeing with the above poster), it depends on what is best for you! I have a 40" samsung 4065F, and a 40" set fits my small bedroom at school perfectly. Max viewing distance is about 8'; however, most of the viewing is done from my desk (3.5' as a computer monitor) or 5-6' for gaming. At these distances, a 40 was perfect, so I opted to go for a better quality set. However, if I wanted to fill a bigger room, I would have considered a larger set from Vizio. Vizio is among the best as far as value brands are concerned. They do produce some very nice TVs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by discopaul
Electrons aren't into hype, they stick with the laws of physics.
Samsung 4065F, Xbox360, 40gb PS3, Tosh HD-A2
post #4 of 64 Old 12-21-2007, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captante View Post

Samsung is a top-tier company whose panels compete with Sony & Sharp while Vizio is an economy brand better compared with Olevia & Westinghouse.

The other thing to consider is that "better" is subjective ... theres no question in my mind that Samsungs have much better pictures, but if you can afford a 50 inch Vizio vs a 37 inch Samsung, the Vizio may in fact be "better" for you.

To fully answer this question you really need to provide more information, like your budget & the room it will be used in for starters.

Sony and Samsung joint vetured a LCD panel plant, but it does not make all their panels they use. LG and 2 other LCD panel makers still supplies large amounts of sub 42 inch panels to both companies. LG panels are also used in Vizio's and Samsung also supplies internal components through secondary parts manufacturers to Vizio that Samsung also uses in its TV. Only the top of the line Brand Name TV's use proprietary internal components that can make for a better overall TV, the rest is pretty much the same. There are manufacturers to avoid like the plague, but its not Vizio. The Korean based plants in which Samsung is part of all work together!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 64 Old 12-21-2007, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Hey guys thanks for the responses I already purchased my 47 inch Vizio from Wal-mart last week and finally got my cox HD. And all I can say is WOW the pic is truly amazing my friend also got a 46 inch samsung he spent almost a grand more than what I did and he says his TV is better? This is why I asked the question was there some type of test done between the two.
post #6 of 64 Old 12-21-2007, 09:24 AM

my brother and i were (and still are) in the side boat... i got myself a 47" vizio (which i love to death) and my brother got himself a samsung at 46" which he loves as much. after checking out his LCD i still found myself enjoying my vizio PQ more than his samsung! it's all relative, i guess.
post #7 of 64 Old 12-21-2007, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

His TV may be "better" for him and yours may be "better" for you. Personally, I can't see spending $1K more for a 47" TV when I don't get that much more value out of it.

Also, as you probably are aware, when someone spends more money on something than you did, they may need to make you feel like yours is inferior since they spent more money than you did. Otherwise, they would have to admit that you made the "better" choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbal4 View Post

Hey guys thanks for the responses I already purchased my 47 inch Vizio from Wal-mart last week and finally got my cox HD. And all I can say is WOW the pic is truly amazing my friend also got a 46 inch samsung he spent almost a grand more than what I did and he says his TV is better? This is why I asked the question was there some type of test done between the two.

Consider American Company Vizio since it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 64 Old 12-21-2007, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Except for price, Samsung > Vizio
post #9 of 64 Old 12-21-2007, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 117
For the same price, 46" Vizio is better than 40" Samsung.

Vizio VP322 Plasma / Vizio GV42LF LCD / Denon 2200 Silicon Image DVD / Panasonic S97 Faroudja Genesis DVD / Oppo 970HD Mediatek DVD / Oppo 983H Anchor Bay DVD / Panasonic LX-600 Laserdisc / Aiwa MX100 Multi-region VCR / JVC S7600 S-VHS / PS2 / Sega Genesis / Nintendo SNES / Roku 2 XS & HD-XR / Realistic STA-90 Reciever / Realistic Minimus 7 / Antennacraft G1483 Hoverman / Belden 7915A RG6 / Channel Master 7777 Titan 2 UHF/VHF / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
post #10 of 64 Old 12-21-2007, 09:52 PM

I've tested 3 vizios (26', 32 ' -1000:1 contrast ratio, 32' 1200:1 ) in the last month or so and now I have a Samsung. While I enjoyed the price of vizio, I prefer my Samsung. I love the glossy look, and the contrast ratio is 7000:1. It's clear and crisp and I pick up more channels with an antenna than I did with vizio.
post #11 of 64 Old 12-21-2007, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

You arent enjoying a 7000:1 contrast ratio.

For someone that has $1000 to spend, and that is a stretch for them, financially, the 40% increase in surface area/screen size is a better choice, than the move from 800:1 CR to 1500:1 CR, vis a vis a reduction in black level from .5 foot lamberts to .25 foot lamberts.

Vizio VP322 Plasma / Vizio GV42LF LCD / Denon 2200 Silicon Image DVD / Panasonic S97 Faroudja Genesis DVD / Oppo 970HD Mediatek DVD / Oppo 983H Anchor Bay DVD / Panasonic LX-600 Laserdisc / Aiwa MX100 Multi-region VCR / JVC S7600 S-VHS / PS2 / Sega Genesis / Nintendo SNES / Roku 2 XS & HD-XR / Realistic STA-90 Reciever / Realistic Minimus 7 / Antennacraft G1483 Hoverman / Belden 7915A RG6 / Channel Master 7777 Titan 2 UHF/VHF / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
post #12 of 64 Old 12-21-2007, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbal4 View Post

Is there a test to see which is the better set between Vizio and Samsung?

This is a joke, right?

52" Samsung 750, finally satisfaction
post #13 of 64 Old 12-22-2007, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeVelocity View Post

You arent enjoying a 7000:1 contrast ratio.

For someone that has $1000 to spend, and that is a stretch for them, financially, the 40% increase in surface area/screen size is a better choice, than the move from 800:1 CR to 1500:1 CR, vis a vis a reduction in black level from .5 foot lamberts to .25 foot lamberts.

Seriously, I've got to ask here. EV, do you always talk out of your butt? Why on Earth would you spread false/wrong information like this? Do you even have the slightest clue as to what a footlambert is? Because if you did, you'd know that it has nothing at all to do with contrast ratios. NOTHING. It doesn't do this place any good for you to just spout off random technical terms with numbers before/after them in the hopes that someone will think you are a knowledgeable source. If you're gonna help people with home theater, help them with something you know about. Like, um, well, um...
post #14 of 64 Old 12-22-2007, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Empty of information, long on flame. J'accuse me! LOL!

Black levels have everything to do with Contrast Ratio.

post #15 of 64 Old 12-22-2007, 03:05 PM

Quote:

Empty of information, long on flame. J'accuse me! LOL!

Black levels have everything to do with Contrast Ratio.

Wow. That's harsh. Except I don't really see the relationship between "empty" and "long". Then again, I did happen to finish high school, so I don't know... And is that French? As in the fries? Hmmmm.

The icing on the cake though is the Black levels have everything to do with Contrast Ratio. You are right, most definitely, but as a response to my post, this is the equivalent of shouting "Hey look! There's a dinosaur!".

It is now obvious that I don't have to say anything in response to the blather you post in these forums. Keep typing man, and continue to prove me (and countless others) right.
post #16 of 64 Old 12-22-2007, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Black is the absence of light. Light (actually luminance) is measured in foot/lamberts. 16 is the recommended minimum brightness for a movie theater projector . 0 is really really dark AKA black.
post #17 of 64 Old 12-22-2007, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Schauer View Post

Black is the absence of light. Light (actually luminance) is measured in foot/lamberts. 16 is the recommended minimum brightness for a movie theater projector . 0 is really really dark AKA black.

Correct. What I'm arguing against is this assumption:

800:1 CR to 1500:1 CR, vis a vis a reduction in black level from .5 foot lamberts to .25 foot lamberts.

Contrast ratios give us a range between true white and true black. When we talk about ftl measurements and display calibration/testing, it is in regards to the light output of the display, not the range between white and black. High ftl measurements mean a brighter picture, and low ftl darker. The above statement is just so broad as to be misleading, as many, many other factors come into play when it comes to reproducing accurate blacks on a TV. I don't believe one can take a contrast ratio specification from one TV, say 10,000:1, and then say well black must be twice as black on that set than on this other brand over here with a 5000:1 CR.
post #18 of 64 Old 12-22-2007, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

You're right. Contrast ratio doesn't really tell you how black the blacks are, or how white the whites, or more importantly how well the gray scales in between are reproduced. Add to that the fact that manufacturers are notorious for inflating the numbers, and it means very little by itself.

On a related note, I gave up trying to judge display quality at big box stores. Too many variables, too many poor sources. In the end I went with opinions I thought I could trust, here and other reviews around the web. Ended up with a 4661 Samsung, and I'm very happy with it.

I think it's also very easy to fall in to the spec sheet trap. In the end you just have to make a decision for yourself. If you're wrong, take it back and try again!
post #19 of 64 Old 12-22-2007, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Schauer View Post

You're right. Contrast ratio doesn't really tell you how black the blacks are, or how white the whites, or more importantly how well the gray scales in between are reproduced. Add to that the fact that manufacturers are notorious for inflating the numbers, and it means very little by itself.

On a related note, I gave up trying to judge display quality at big box stores. Too many variables, too many poor sources. In the end I went with opinions I thought I could trust, here and other reviews around the web. Ended up with a 4661 Samsung, and I'm very happy with it.

I think it's also very easy to fall in to the spec sheet trap. In the end you just have to make a decision for yourself. If you're wrong, take it back and try again!

That's crazy, I've actually ended up with a 4661 as well. I went through a couple of Vizios which were really disappointing, and a Philips that was actually great except for some issues with panel color-shift. Thank God for Costco's excellent return policy... And yeah, looking at LCDs at various retailers around town was useless. Saw that the Samsung was on sale this past week at CC, so I decided to take a chance with it, in the hopes that it would be decent. It's been awesome so far.
post #20 of 64 Old 12-22-2007, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

That's where I got mine, even got am additional 10% off with AAA. Before that I was debating whether to get a 40" Samsung or 42" Philips. I couldn't decide whether a bigger screen or better display was more important to me in the $1300 or so price range. Turned out I got 46" for just a little more money. I also much prefer the look of the Samsung over the Vizio. The Vizio looks a little Star Treky to me where the Samsung has a classy thin black bezel.

I do think EscapeVelocity makes a good point though. A larger screen might trump some marginally better picture quality. Luckily I didn't have to make that choice!
post #21 of 64 Old 12-22-2007, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

The topic is kind of funny. Thats like comparing Hyundai (Vizio being that) to a BMW (Samsung being that). There is simply no comparison.
post #22 of 64 Old 12-22-2007, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

I think that's a pretty good analogy, and I rented a Hyundai last week and thought it was pretty OK.

What I find interesting is when someone will desire a high end display to the point of immense stress over which one (we all are doing that, right?) and then cheap out on the source.

I'm a picture quality snob, I admit it, but why worry about every little nit on the display and then watch Wheel of Fortune in SD or DVDs on some old crap player? I'm at the point where I find a lot of HD, even OTA, sub par. If you watch a few HD DVD or Blu Ray discs this might happen to you as well.

It's one of those points in the leapfrog race where the displays are often more competent than the source. In the computer world this happens now and then, but usually the hardware is lagging the software. We're kind of at the other point right now with video. Aside from HD DVD and BluRay the displays are outpacing the capabilities of the source material.
post #23 of 64 Old 12-22-2007, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by studdad View Post

This is a joke, right?

nope sorry not a joke at all just wanted to know.
post #24 of 64 Old 12-22-2007, 08:17 PM

Hi,Evrybody makes great points,just remember its all subjective to your needs in the end.Someone says X brand is better,but it could be to them not you.You're the one paying for it,living with it so it all comes down to what you like and think.,and can afford.With this world wide netweb there is no excuse to not do reserch,I've been at it all week deciding if I want to pull the trigger on a 37inch Vizio at Circuit City and most of the comments are good but I always keep in mind that it comes down to what I like and what I can live with.
Good Luck
dhenry5320
post #25 of 64 Old 12-22-2007, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Are you not speaking to me now, ioannids?

LOL! Your confusion, is that my comments were not based on extrapolations, but on test data.

post #26 of 64 Old 12-22-2007, 09:38 PM

Quote:

Are you not speaking to me now, ioannids?

LOL! Your confusion, is that my comments were not based on extrapolations, but on test data.

You know what EV? In all seriousness and sincerity, I apologize for snapping at you like I did. I get ticked when people spout vagaries or ambiguous ideas about the things I enjoy and have enthusiasm for. But to lash out at you, a complete stranger whom I don't know from Adam, for simply stating what you believe to be correct, was wrong of me. The intertubes are about sharing ideas, regardless of whether or not they agree with those we hold ourselves. I've got the tree lit, a glass of wine in hand, music on my stereo, and it's all making me feel particularly humanistic at the moment. I'd better enjoy it while it lasts... . It's Christmas, for God's sake, and I truly hope you an yours have a great holiday.
post #27 of 64 Old 12-22-2007, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Merry Christmas, I think the Samsung 61 series are great sets.

post #28 of 64 Old 12-23-2007, 07:39 PM

I enjoyed this thread.

Merry Christmas
post #29 of 64 Old 12-29-2007, 05:18 PM

I have enjoyed this post.
I have been reading, researching, etc. for a few months; watching the news about holiday specials and LCD mergers.
I have also read many threads on various TVs here and many other sites.
I enjoy the technical info and advancements. It's nice to get a very detailed report on something I am considering.
I have seen posts about Visio being the #1 Brand in America, and other info. But I have yet to see someone express a combination of factors.

For starters, I find it very interesting that the AV market has come full circle with US AV Companies; especially Visio.
It has been entertaining to watch an American company retain the lead in providing products to Americans (even if I don't buy one).

I am not dissing anyone, but I happen to be proud to be an American.
So I have to admit that helping an American company sell a quality product is attractive to me just on that premise alone. But I would be stupid to base my purchase on that alone- and most people don't.

During the holiday season it is especially awesome to have the freedom to enjoy the blessings such as this great forum. I agree with the rebuttal of stern criticism, and share in rejoicing the power to best inform myself before I buy.
Forums such as these allow people around the world the freedom to empower and express themselfs.

Interestingly enough, there are a cosiderable amount of posts about Vizio vs Samsung (and vise versa). Is there a test to compare them? Sure, what test would you like to use?
The test I have chose to use is the "Bang For The Buck" test. LOL
But seriously, there could be some extensive and intuative examples about different types of tests that could be used so- good question.

Break...Break....
post #30 of 64 Old 12-29-2007, 06:12 PM

The "Bang For The Buck" test I mention is as follows.

I am replacing-get this- my 13" Bedroom TV. I have 3 different screens in there and have been planning for the right time to get an LCD. I think this is the right time.

I have researched several models I like. The NEW Vizio GV46LF 20A is the one I am going to try out.

This is a brand new model. I have yet to find the exact specs. Some of the specs I have found are 3 HDMI inputs, Supported PC Resolution of 1920 x 1080 thru VGA and HDMI, 7 ms response time, and Contrast Ratio: 2000:1.
These specs indicate a considerable improvement from the older model.
Exactly how improved I am not sure yet.
However, I believe that the new technologies which are going to be unveiled in 08 are not going to be available for quite some time at the price range I am considering.
I also think it is possible that Vizio has offered the best technology (in mid range HDTVs) ahead of the competition in this set (they have rolled it out early). It is possible that this will be one of the best Vizio sets for 08.

I have also factored in these considerations.

15% off from rebate code.
Free shipping through PayP.
No Tax
Vizio's At Home Warranty
6 Monthly payments
No interest to pay
$100 Mail in Rebate
46" for the price of 40" Samsung
An American Made Product

I looked at the models on display as well, and tried out the 42" at home.

That's the test I used.

A video can be found about this unit on YouTube.

Happy Holidays,

SHAZZBOT
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page