post #811 of 2001 Old 03-09-2008, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvs053063 View Post

As a current Samsung DLP owner, I'm hoping for the best with these new sets, so I just decided to call up Samsung support and ask them if these new 2008 sets will have this processor. The rep didn't have the info handy, but took a couple minutes to research and categorically stated that any 120 Hz AMP 2008 set WILL have this processor. So that should be the end of that speculation for all of us hoping for the best. This of course means that the 550 WILL NOT have this processor. One more reason to get the 650.

Rick

Ok if this new VP is really all that and a bag of chips it should be painfully obvious to me on thursday i have a pixel crunching god sitting in my room. Like i said in previous posts i am most concerned about motion precision, ghosting and how amp works. With my 71 i tested it relentlasly with many sources. I really wanted it to pass haveing just spent 3k on the damn thing but it just couldn't. It failed most of my tests even with the latest firmware. I will have no mercy on this new set on my tests. I am a gamer to the max and some of my games just ripped my 71 a new one. I am glad that i was able to do alot of testing with the 71 cause now i have a baseline for my evaluation. If i come back and tell you this TV is insane you can take that to the bank. I have an extreemly high standard.

Could i have lived with the 71, probubly with enough tweeking you can make it look and behave nice especialy with the new firmware. But i shouldnt have to with a 3k set. It should be near perfect on most settings. The settings should really just be for personalization. I shouldnt have to tweek them to make the TV work like advertised

Lol the funny thing is i have my 52" sammy in a 12' by 12' room. Im just out of college and still live with the folks atm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 2001 Old 03-09-2008, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dx31698 View Post

Well I Just Got Back From Best Buy And Was Able To Order The 46a650. They Had It In Their Warehouse And I Should Have It At My House On Wednesday Night. So Stoked!!

Sweet i am happy to hear some one else is having some luck with the fools down at best buy. You even have me beat by 1 day. Im glad i dont have to carry the burden of fielding the million questions i will be recieving by this weekend alone. Plus 2 minds are better than 1. I look forward to both of our first impresions on the set. I really hope i dig the crystal rose or what ever its called with the lighting in my room (crimson thats what i am calling it regardless because i am in oklahoma, thats what we call this color of red here, calling it anything else is grounds for a beating). I cant wate to see how we both like it.
post #813 of 2001 Old 03-09-2008, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

wow this is great news im a big sony fan of the xbr 4 and 5 and by the looks of it these sets may outperform the sonys.. i was in the market within the next 2 minths to buy a awesoem lcd set 52 inches.. and i have about 3500 bucks.. i was set on the sony but now this has become a contender
post #814 of 2001 Old 03-09-2008, 10:55 AM

What Was The Price At Bb?
post #815 of 2001 Old 03-09-2008, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpluse View Post

Don't ask this. This thread getting shut down because you fools couldn't resist the urge to talk about prices would be a shame.
post #816 of 2001 Old 03-09-2008, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just go to BestBuy's site and look it up.

Go 24
post #817 of 2001 Old 03-09-2008, 11:16 AM

the price was the same that its showing Circuit citys website, plus they let me use a 10% coupon on it. But I also have 60 days of pricematching if the price does go down
post #818 of 2001 Old 03-09-2008, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanC View Post

Don't ask this. This thread getting shut down because you fools couldn't resist the urge to talk about prices would be a shame.

I didn't think the MSRP was against the rules. I seriously doubt they are being discounted yet.
post #819 of 2001 Old 03-09-2008, 11:23 AM

MSRP's are not against the rules.
post #820 of 2001 Old 03-09-2008, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hmm didnt know i wasnt supposed to talk about Price, sorry
post #821 of 2001 Old 03-09-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badvideo View Post

I didn't think the MSRP was against the rules. I seriously doubt they are being discounted yet.

That's correct. In which case it doesn't need to be asked since finding the MSRPs on these sets isn't difficult.
post #822 of 2001 Old 03-09-2008, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Seriously guys quit asking this. I dont know if it is against the rules in this forum or not. I have already told the whole world what i paid for my 52650 at best buy and its starting to get anoying everyone asking (hint it was msrp lol). Flip back a few pages and read for your self. We shouldnt be required to price drop every other post. You arnt gonna be getting anything other than MSRP at local retailers anyhow. Unless you have a freaking 10% off coupon (im jealous)
post #823 of 2001 Old 03-09-2008, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus2007 View Post

Just go to BestBuy's site and look it up.

Well in his defence that would be a good idea if it was on there, but its not on there site at least as of yesterday. The guy i talked to had to dig abit to find mine
post #824 of 2001 Old 03-09-2008, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvs053063 View Post

As a current Samsung DLP owner, I'm hoping for the best with these new sets, so I just decided to call up Samsung support and ask them if these new 2008 sets will have this processor. The rep didn't have the info handy, but took a couple minutes to research and categorically stated that any 120 Hz AMP 2008 set WILL have this processor. So that should be the end of that speculation for all of us hoping for the best. This of course means that the 550 WILL NOT have this processor. One more reason to get the 650.

Rick

Well, the reps are usually not all that reliable, so I will wait until we can verify for sure, but if it does have it, and it fixes all the AMP issues, then what the hell will they do for us 71 people? This will be interesting.

52" Samsung 750, finally satisfaction
post #825 of 2001 Old 03-09-2008, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjsd View Post

My source with connections at Samsung say this is going to be some brand new VP. That would leave me to believe it would be the XILLEON. Why would they switch to a whole new VP only to switch again in the fall? This XILLEON is the complete "insides" overhaul Samsung was tooting their horn about at the CES. I would say that is why Samsung is so confident they have fixed their AMP issues, and also why they have begun to shut down production of the 71 series. The sad part is that there probably will never be a complete fix for the AMP feature on the 71 series, leaving current owners with a nice set that has some annoying issues.

Can you say "class action lawsuit"?

52" Samsung 750, finally satisfaction
post #826 of 2001 Old 03-09-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studdad View Post

Well, the reps are usually not all that reliable, so I will wait until we can verify for sure, but if it does have it, and it fixes all the AMP issues, then what the hell will they do for us 71 people? This will be interesting.

Nothing....absolutely nothing. There are issues with everything people buy. Samsung really has no responsibility to do anything to the 71 owners unless something causes physical damage or physical harm. So unless your 71 starts making you seize up like teenage Asian kids playing video games, or makes your house spontaneously burst into flames, I would say there isn't a whole lot that will happen in your favor! Sell it on ebay or something and go buy a 650!
post #827 of 2001 Old 03-09-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:

That's correct. In which case it doesn't need to be asked since finding the MSRPs on these sets isn't difficult.

Please point me to one place to find the MSRP of these 650 series sets, including this sites sponsors.
post #828 of 2001 Old 03-09-2008, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipcrkr View Post

I guess i'm in the minority then. If i'm Samsung, and i've had a public relations nightmare with having to send out FW updates every week and is aware that all of the big online tech sites have publicly stated that the 71 series has motion blur artifacts due to AMP, a feature heavily promoted by Samsung, and i have a new VP implemented that can basically clean up these artifacts, wouldn't you at least mention it? Especially since AMD is not a competitor meaning most people won't refuse to buy a Samsung because another company is inside, to them it's a Samsung. But, if Samsung were to advertise the new 6 series with the AMD XILLEON processor how is that a negative for Samsung? AMD is a powerful name, you combine that with a Samsung panel and you torch the competition. One thing that bugs LCD's to a lot of people is motion blur which is inherent to sample and hold type of displays. If i'm undecided between a Sharp, Toshiba, and Samsung, wouldn't you put a sticker on the TV signifying an AMD processor? i know i would. I hope i'm wrong of course.

I am pretty sure the public relations nightmare is confined to tech forums. The general public who have purchased this LCD probably have no idea/or even think this TV has this many issues. Half the kids working in the brick and mortars have no clue as to what I am talking about. A nightmare is when nobody is buying the TV and people are returning the sets in droves. I find it amazing that so many people complain about this TV and yet it is still one of the highest rated LCD's on Amazon. That is not a nightmare in any sense for Samsung. I don't own it but I think the set is awesome. I have watched all of the POTC on Blu-Ray on the 4071 and I watched it with a very skeptical eye and never once noticed anything that would make me want to take the set back, much less sue Samsung for selling damaged goods. I am not trying to downplay your concerns but the truth is the chances of winning a lawsuit over the issues with this TV are slim and none. You had a fair opportunity to take the set back for a full refund and in the case you bought from a dealer that didn't accept returns, well that's your mistake.
post #829 of 2001 Old 03-09-2008, 02:30 PM

Was just at a best buy in new york and there were alot of empty spaces on the display wall with all the flatscreens. i talked to the sales guy and he said a shipment of new samsungs were at the warehouse and would be arriving for display tomorrow night. he said they sold off some of the samsung floor models and were expecting "brand new models for 08".
i plan on going tomorrow night to see what's up.
post #830 of 2001 Old 03-09-2008, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studdad View Post

Can you say "class action lawsuit"?

One other thing. My source never mentioned they had no fix for the 71 AMP issues. I came to that conclusion on my own while factoring in Samsung's decision to not only go with a whole new VP but also stop manufacturing of the 71 series fairly soon after it's release. I think they realize the new VP has fixed the issue and it makes sense to keep producing the 71 if the issues cannot be fixed. I would also bet that Samsung will probably offer a trade up to the 650 or 750 for some of the more consistent yet tactful complainers who would have overwhelming issues they can prove. Threatening lawsuits is most likely is going to get you laughed at and shut down.
post #831 of 2001 Old 03-09-2008, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Too many speculations, guys
This is from Service manual for
Chassis :
GRU40MUS
GRU46MUS
GRU52MUS
Model :
LN40A750R1FXZA
LN46A750R1FXZA
LN52A750R1FXZA

ARM architecture

Here you may find some details about European
A45 http://forum.ixbt.com/topic.cgi?id=62:12202-63#1979
MStar

A55/A65 http://forum.ixbt.com/topic.cgi?id=62:12202-63#1984
Mediatek

Enjoy
LL
LL
LL
post #832 of 2001 Old 03-09-2008, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Prices on the XBR4s are dropping rapidly - I'm guessing it's cause of the new samsungs coming soon.
post #833 of 2001 Old 03-09-2008, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manaburn View Post

Out line what you want to know about the TV, what tests you want me to do. I care about motion handling and responce time

This test simply lets the computer draw a picture of the amount of motion blur seen.

Open pixperan, adjust gamma then click "streaky picture"

1) Adjust the slider bars (don't touch anything else)
2) Click ctrl to see the result.
3) When the picture looks like the car in motion above, click "save streaky picture".

(Picture will be in the "pixperan" folder. Share it!)

Gee i guess a link might help.
post #834 of 2001 Old 03-09-2008, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by borf View Post

This test simply lets the computer draw a picture of the amount of motion blur seen.

Open pixperan, adjust gamma then click "streaky picture"

1) Adjust the slider bars (don't touch anything else)
2) Click ctrl to see the result.
3) When the picture looks like the car in motion above, click "save streaky picture".

(Picture will be in the "pixperan" folder. Share it!)

Gee i guess a link might help.

\\

Ok i have absoluly no clue what im suposed to do wiht that. Opened the link and there is just a picture. I cant do anything
post #835 of 2001 Old 03-09-2008, 03:32 PM

I was just at the Downers Grove, IL Frys. They had a new Samsung 46" A650. It did not have a price tag on it yet. I was told it was priced the same as the CC website (Not sure if I can post prices). They must have just set it up because I walked by a bit later and they were tooling with the settings. The source material was garbage so it was hard to judge the picture. The red piece on the bottom is barely noticeable at all in the dark light.

I was comparing it to the 46" XBR4 next to the A650. The Samsung seemed to have better contrast, but that is all in the settings. The Sony seemed sharper. I also noticed some of that dark color smearing in the Sony. Pretty disappointed because I was planning on picking up an XBR4 46" soon. It was on sale too (until Tuesday I heard). I am going nuts deciding on a 46".
post #836 of 2001 Old 03-09-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:

One other thing. My source never mentioned they had no fix for the 71 AMP issues. I came to that conclusion on my own while factoring in Samsung's decision to not only go with a whole new VP but also stop manufacturing of the 71 series fairly soon after it's release. I think they realize the new VP has fixed the issue and it makes sense to keep producing the 71 if the issues cannot be fixed. I would also bet that Samsung will probably offer a trade up to the 650 or 750 for some of the more consistent yet tactful complainers who would have overwhelming issues they can prove. Threatening lawsuits is most likely is going to get you laughed at and shut down.

I agree; after the return period expires, you have bought in to what was delivered. It would be almost laughable to try and make a law suit out of it.

Also: it looks to me like Samsung is replacing their whole line of LCD TVs, not just the 71. I really expect the 61, 65, 69, and 71 to all disapear shortly after the new sets come out. I expect the 81 to be replaced by the new 9 series someplace down the road. This is very different then when they added the 71 and 81 to their existing line.

I think this change was planned regardless of the issues with the 71. Developing a new pannel with better specs is a much bigger change then the electronics behind it.

I really hope the new sets are noticable better.

Dave
post #837 of 2001 Old 03-09-2008, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

u think these new 650 sets offer significantly better pq than the sony xbr4 including black levels...
post #838 of 2001 Old 03-09-2008, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

when will the touch of black come out.. im a sonyxbr4 fan i like these sets better than the samsungs 71 so i hope these new samsungs will be the best lcds in the market when they come out...that is till the new trilum sonys come out that will cost u a arm and a leg...
post #839 of 2001 Old 03-09-2008, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

My source with connections at Samsung say this is going to be some brand new VP. That would leave me to believe it would be the XILLEON. Why would they switch to a whole new VP only to switch again in the fall? This XILLEON is the complete "insides" overhaul Samsung was tooting their horn about at the CES. I would say that is why Samsung is so confident they have fixed their AMP issues, and also why they have begun to shut down production of the 71 series. The sad part is that there probably will never be a complete fix for the AMP feature on the 71 series, leaving current owners with a nice set that has some annoying issues.

Umm so how will we ever find out anyhow if the 650 has a XILLEON in it or not. If samsung dosnt tell us out rite and its not in the users manual, not on any web sites and cant access it in system info. I just dont see how we are gonna know for awile. Anyone have any sugestions?
post #840 of 2001 Old 03-09-2008, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manaburn View Post

Umm so how will we ever find out anyhow if the 650 has a XILLEON in it or not. If samsung dosnt tell us out rite and its not in the users manual, not on any web sites and cant access it in system info. I just dont see how we are gonna know for awile. Anyone have any sugestions?

Maybe just open the back cover and look at the board(s)! But then that would void the warranty.

Go 24
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page