Sharp Aquos 46D43U Poor Picture Quality. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-25-2008, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

First off just want to say hello as this is my first post. I've been lurking here for a while and finally decided to register. I've learned learned tons since finding this website, and I'm looking forward to contributing to this forum.

Now for the bad part. I picked up a Sharp Aquos 46D43U on BF from Sears. After setting it up, buying an HD cable box, HDMI cables etc. The picture quality on my TV is still pretty terrible. In fact, HD channels don't really look like they're in HD at all. When watching sports for example everything will look very fuzzy. Even still images aren't very "crisp". When I play Xbox 360 or PS3 on it the graphics are all really fuzzy and not clear. It's kind of hard to explain, maybe I can post pictures later or something.

I talked to the manager at Sears about returning it since I also bought the Sears warranty plan for it, but they told me I'd pay out of pocket to get a new TV unless a tech comes to my house and says its unfixable. Then, because this model is discontinued they'll give me the newer model which would be the 46D64U (I think?)

Any idea what the problem could be? I've fiddled with the picture settings to no avail. And yes, I did search but could only find binding issues. Has anyone else had this problem btw?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-29-2008, 08:33 PM

I just purchased the EXACT same TV yesterday at PC Richards....I have the SAME problem. However I called Sharp and they said that it could be my cable box or my cable signal. Mine looks very blury...I work for the cable company, and I called them and they informed me that I have a VERY LOW/POOR signal coming to my house and they scheduled a guy to come out and fix it. He says for this tv it takes a strong/good signal from the cable company. The only difference with me is that when I play XBOX 360 it looks outstanding. The lady from Sharp said that if I had noticed the problem when playing 360, she would have blamed the TV but since my 360 Game is beautiful, then it's the signal...I will update this tomorrow if you remind me or bump this thread. Cause the cable guy will be at my house from 8am-11am EST....Hope this helps...
post #3 of 5 Old 01-30-2008, 12:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 167
If this was a BF special what took you so long to figure out the PQ was poor? Didn't you have a 30 day window for return? Understand that the 43U is the lowest level of the tiers in features and panel quality levels - Sharps are easy to figure out since the lower numbers at the end during a generation are the lower levels of the panel family. Doesn't mean it should be poor though or even fuzzy.

Hopefully the Tech can confirm one way or the other and you get the opportunity to upgrade to a D64 or better yet something like a Sony S3000 which is ten bit and much superior to the Sharp.

Do you own an HD or BD Player to test PQ via those HD devices?

Have you tried using Component Cables? You'd be surprised to find often you can see no visible difference between HDMI and component and in some cases may even be clearer. Component cables may help since that panel should be pre HDMI 1.3 and perhaps you have a bad set of cables? In troubleshooting you follow the chain with all possibilities and component is inexpensive, checking off possibilities along the way until your left with a cause related diagnosis. Good Luck!

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #4 of 5 Old 02-02-2008, 02:46 PM

It took a few days and now my tv looks awesome. The cable guy came out and claimed to have done a couple things but I think the tv needs to settle or get broken in, cause now it looks very good...There are some channels that don't seem to broadcast a clear signal in hd but it's beautiful...
post #5 of 5 Old 02-11-2008, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

If this was a BF special what took you so long to figure out the PQ was poor? Didn't you have a 30 day window for return? Understand that the 43U is the lowest level of the tiers in features and panel quality levels - Sharps are easy to figure out since the lower numbers at the end during a generation are the lower levels of the panel family. Doesn't mean it should be poor though or even fuzzy.

Hopefully the Tech can confirm one way or the other and you get the opportunity to upgrade to a D64 or better yet something like a Sony S3000 which is ten bit and much superior to the Sharp.

Do you own an HD or BD Player to test PQ via those HD devices?

Have you tried using Component Cables? You'd be surprised to find often you can see no visible difference between HDMI and component and in some cases may even be clearer. Component cables may help since that panel should be pre HDMI 1.3 and perhaps you have a bad set of cables? In troubleshooting you follow the chain with all possibilities and component is inexpensive, checking off possibilities along the way until your left with a cause related diagnosis. Good Luck!

Sorry for the late response...

The tech from Sears came to my house the other day and tested every type of connection, even blue ray dvds via my PS3. He agreed that the there is a lot of "snow" in the picture. Their solution is to replace the entire circuit board containing the inputs. He said that the lines running throughout the TV may have been oxidized. =\\

I know its not the cable lines running to my house either because all of the cables on my street were torn out over the summer and replaced with fiber optic lines. It took me a while to realize that there was a problem with my tv because I just recently bought an HDMI cable and confirmed my worst fears. Im a college student on a budget and my tv is at home. It's not that easy to fit a 46'' TV in a college dorm... and if I had the money I would've bought something nicer. So basically I'm waiting on this part so they can come to replace it and see how the TV works. I'm not worrying too much about costs or warranties because I bought the Sears extended warranty. So if they can't fix it, they're supposed to replace the entire unit.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page