LCD manufacturers repair history - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-27-2008, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, It looks like in the next few months (especially if I get that nice government rebate), I will be getting a shiny new LCD flat screen..in the 40"-46" range. I've narrowed it down to the main four I hear about for quality: Sony, Sharp, Samsung and Panasonic. I've done some research, but since many of you guys (and gals) have much more experience and knowledge of these things, which company seems to have the best record in their repair history?

To clarify, I mean, I know some Samsungs have had some bad board issues, causing sound and video problems in the past, do all companies get these bad batches on occasion or is there one company that for the most part seems to have more consistent quality control?

I mainly want to minimize the chance of being one of those "I bought it and it died in 48 hours now I have to wait for 2 weeks for a repair" guys.

...hanging near the rafters of Gampel like ledge rats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2008, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
don't subscribe, but found this last night while doing some HDTV searchin':

http://au.answers.yahoo.com/answers2...1074407AAB45gI

Latest repair and reliability survey on televisions Consumer Reports Dec 2007

Rear projection TVs Best to Worst

Sony
Panasonic
Samsung
Mitsubishi
Hitachi
Toshiba
RCA

LCD TVs Best to Worst

Panasonic
Sony
Sharp
Samsung
Toshiba
JVC
Philips
Hitachi
Dell

Plasmas TVs Best to Worst

Panasonic
Pioneer
Samsung
Philips
1 month ago
Old 01-27-2008, 10:21 AM
Zoo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Interesting how Panasonic consistently rates high there. This mirrors my experiences owning many, many products of theirs over the years (TVs, many VHS decks, microwaves etc). You can't go wrong with a Panasonic. I have also owned many great Sony products over the years.

Recent Wii owner. Enjoying HD up in the "Great White North"
Old 01-27-2008, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

I also have owned many Panny products currently have 2 Panny LCD's and a Panny RPTV along with a Panny receiver, DVD player and phone system. All have performed great.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel'son View Post

don't subscribe, but found this last night while doing some HDTV searchin':

http://au.answers.yahoo.com/answers2...1074407AAB45gI

Latest repair and reliability survey on televisions Consumer Reports Dec 2007

LCD TVs Best to Worst

Panasonic
Sony
Sharp
Samsung
Toshiba
JVC
Philips
Hitachi
Dell
1 month ago

Daniel'son,
Great list. I figured Sony would be up there based on their reputation with other products. I know their LCDs have some of the better blacks in the market, but not sure if its worth the extra couple hundred $ compared to similar sized Panny. Anyone know if there is a way to tell from a spec sheet how well they handle SD programming, other than side by side comparison with an SD signal? Will 1080 vs 720 make a difference with SD, or is it just an HD thing?

Old 01-27-2008, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Both LCD TV's and Monitors have excellent service need records. Especially if you buy with good support history.

I own four LCD's over the past three years and not one single issue - three Sharps and one Sony.

Also, have 400 LCD Monitor's on my Network that I've bought. The first 200 have been running 5 yrs 24/7 with only the loss of one after the 3 yr warranty. Most are Planar but many newer ones are Samsung. Also have four LCD TV's in Conference and Classrooms with no issues.

The only defective LCD TV I ever bought was for a Daycare Room in one of our offices due to trying to stay within a lower budget and it was a POS Viewsonic that took two replacement RMA's and six weeks to get one that worked and thus they no longer get my business under any conditions.

First one could not display color via DVD material and it's replacement arrived with the bezel broken off and so Viewsonic became history as a Vendor consideration.

BTW most of the issues historically on the LCD Samsungs months ago were related to HDMI issues and new technology they seemed to debuted prematurely as firmware seems to be fixing those issues now and lets remember that HDMI is a fragile connection that has no error correction capabilities and many of these panels get the blame for errant HDMI Cables and it's immaturity as an interface and of course without error correction you get loss of sound or PQ issues that are not always the fault of the panels folks. Firmware has fixed much but I see far too many members without a full understanding outright blame the panels for crap that is the fault of bad cable, source or other thirdparty things like crappy video cards on their PC's, e.g.; ATI.

To be honest if you judged by the problem reporting here many wouldn't buy but go view the owners that aren't so anal in Amazon and CC and see what they think. There have been people in this forum that have had an issue with a panel and have gone to the extreme in reposting their same bitch about a panel 300 times in a two month period - one member over and over every day used this forum to slam bast the SXRD and that's abuse of the forum - his bitch was legitimate at the time but to turn it into a personal crusade became nauseating for anyone that wanted info on the SXRD. This happens often so judge with your own eyes and from buyers in other listings that aren't judge seeking problem posting - if you take the TV home and it works perfectly do you after the fact go searching for us to tell us? Not often unless you were here already so there are hundreds of thousands of owners you don't hear from on this forum that are simply enjoying their panel.

If it were as bad as some imply they would not have sold 75 million last year and look forward to 90 million this year.

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
Old 01-28-2008, 04:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

To be honest if you judged by the problem reporting here many wouldn't buy but go view the owners that aren't so anal in Amazon and CC and see what they think.

Good point.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I've had my Panny LCD over a year and a half, the only issue is OCCASIONALLY the TV will not turn on, the red light just blinks 4 times. A simple unplug/replug AC power cord restores it to working status for several months. I have read this problem on several threads in relation to Panny LCD's, and I have never seen a resolution. Only the question posed. I worry sometime it will not startup, but always does.
I have no power problems in my house, and have tried the TV on a UPS and also a Surge protector, as well as nothing. Nothing works, I still need to do this Power cycle every once in a while...
Other than this weird thing, the set works fine, and has a PQ second to none. I would buy one again. Oh I miss the EPG (this one has none, but my Vizio does, but I've seen very few sets with this nice feature).
Old 10-31-2008, 01:00 PM

I had only one issue: replacing a damaged power adapter. After months trying to get a replacement from them I wound up buying one online. lcd-adapter.com