samsung 81 series replacement in October? Series 9? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 02-01-2008, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
mccollums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I did a quick google search today and fat fingered LCD, and typed in Samsung 2008 CES LDC ... found this article from HDTV-news.co.uk

http://www.hdtv-news.co.uk/2008/01/1...-tvs-for-2008/

talks about a samsung LCD with smart LED and a 1,000,000 - 1 contrast ratio coming in October...

They are calling it a series 9. What's interesting is there's no series 8 listed, wondering if the series 8 will be an update (in the fall) for the 6 and/or 7 series...

I remember doing some searches similar to this... after CES... and don't remember anyone mentioning an LED backlit samsung????
mccollums is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 02-01-2008, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
westa6969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: From Michigan now Retired to Naples, FL
Posts: 7,026
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccollums View Post

I did a quick google search today and fat fingered LCD, and typed in Samsung 2008 CES LDC ... found this article from HDTV-news.co.uk

http://www.hdtv-news.co.uk/2008/01/1...-tvs-for-2008/

talks about a samsung LCD with smart LED and a 1,000,000 - 1 contrast ratio coming in October...

They are calling it a series 9. What's interesting is there's no series 8 listed, wondering if the series 8 will be an update (in the fall) for the 6 and/or 7 series...

I remember doing some searches similar to this... after CES... and don't remember anyone mentioning an LED backlit samsung????

Keep in mind this is a UK Website. Panel Series numbers differ in Europe vs. N. America often. The panels don't always debut the same time as they are built in different regions of the world. Not saying the info isn't corect but it may not match the N. America Market. Europe has their version CES sometime in the next few months and you'll know more.

Here's more info on the six series and seven series but have no idea how they match up with N. America Panels.

http://uk.cinenow.com/articles/7826-...tv-lineup-2008


Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
westa6969 is online now  
post #3 of 13 Old 05-29-2008, 09:15 AM
Member
 
xcntuatd77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There was a thread i found that had product timetable for samsung and their upcoming lcds. The 950 was on that as well.

Can someone resend the link/info onthat.

Im trying to get as much info on this 950 model as possible in determining to go with the XBR8 or the 950.

Thanks again.
xcntuatd77 is offline  
post #4 of 13 Old 05-29-2008, 12:14 PM
Member
 
xcntuatd77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There was a thread i found that had product timetable for samsung and their upcoming lcds. The 950 was on that as well.

Can someone resend the link/info onthat.

Im trying to get as much info on this 950 model as possible in determining to go with the XBR8 or the 950.

Thanks again.
xcntuatd77 is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 05-29-2008, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
AlexInvision's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,311
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Samsung 850 and 950 series I have heard are slated for a late July or early August release date. But, that will get changed thirty times before the right date is released. The Sony XBR8 I have not heard any info on it yet, but there must be a thread about it on this forum somewhere.
AlexInvision is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 05-29-2008, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
AlexInvision's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,311
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008/...release-dates/

Here is some info for the new Sony release dates, can't find much on the Sammies right now.
AlexInvision is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 06-19-2008, 11:45 AM
Member
 
xcntuatd77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The XBR8 is only available in 46inch and 55in sizes this year.

The 950series is also avaialable only in 46in and 55in sizes this year.

source: http://multi.gnt.lt/pages/brochures/...d_pdp_2008.pdf page 6


Pricing for xbr8 is confirmed from sourcec and verifie at an actual retailer taking preordrs at unilateral pricing at 46in: $3900 and 55in: $4500

Therefore its same to assume that the 950 series will be about $3600 and $4100. Any thoughts guys?

The sony xbr8 looks pretty good. It seems to combine the look of the 81series with its own xbr3/5 look. Im very curious to see how the 950series samsung looks in person.
xcntuatd77 is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 06-19-2008, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
axmode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,980
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcntuatd77 View Post

The XBR8 is only available in 46inch and 55in sizes this year.

The 950series is also avaialable only in 46in and 55in sizes this year.

source: http://multi.gnt.lt/pages/brochures/...d_pdp_2008.pdf page 6


Pricing for xbr8 is confirmed from sourcec and verifie at an actual retailer taking preordrs at unilateral pricing at 46in: $3900 and 55in: $4500

Therefore its same to assume that the 950 series will be about $3600 and $4100. Any thoughts guys?

The sony xbr8 looks pretty good. It seems to combine the look of the 81series with its own xbr3/5 look. Im very curious to see how the 950series samsung looks in person.

Yes, my thoughts are that your guessed prices are going to be way off base and here is why:

The current (or I should say now discontinued) 57" 81 series has an MSRP of 7999 and on some online websites, it sells for 2 grands less if you can find it. The 52" 81 series had an MSRP of 4799 and I had seen them as low as mid 3Gs at some point. Again, most are now obsolete and discontinued. Therefore, I think that the new 55" (if Sammy does offer that instead of a 57") in the mid 4G MSRP realm, is kind of wishful thinking...

Samsung: 52" 850 / 46" 61 / 40" 61 / PS3 / BD-P1500 / A3 HD-DVD / Format Neutral
axmode is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 06-19-2008, 01:55 PM
Member
 
xcntuatd77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
well, i based my pricing on two things:

1. Pricing for newer models is more competitive than predecessors. i.e look at the new pioneer elites for example, and not just that but the fact that all manufactureree are now bringing newer models with better, newer technology at price points less than the model predeccesors.

2. Sony xbr bravia series price premium. We already know the xbr8 wil be the samsungs only MAIN competitor. xbr8 unilateral pricing is already underway at retailers taking preorders. PCrichards has the 46inch for $3900 and 55in for $4500. So the samsungs 950series price will be either on par or a little more competitive. I really doubt it will be more than the xbr8 series.

again, these are based on CURRENT unilateral pricing on xbr8 models. At launch time, if street prices are actually more, then off course it will be different altogether.
xcntuatd77 is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 07-26-2008, 10:03 AM
Member
 
pdotcantu2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ay does anyone know what the difference is between the 8 & 9 series compared to the 7 series? Besides the color BLUE? What new features?
pdotcantu2 is offline  
post #11 of 13 Old 07-26-2008, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
taurus2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Jax, FL
Posts: 4,322
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdotcantu2 View Post

Ay does anyone know what the difference is between the 8 & 9 series compared to the 7 series? Besides the color BLUE? What new features?

850 is the same as 750 except it's thinner/narrower. 860 is the same as 850 except it's a deep blue ToC and an extra USB connection on the back. Both will come out around September.

950 is LED and only comes in 46" & 55" and will be out next month.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1047806

Go 24
taurus2007 is offline  
post #12 of 13 Old 07-26-2008, 10:58 AM
Member
 
agustus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus2007 View Post

850 is the same as 750 except it's thinner/narrower. 860 is the same as 850 except it's a deep blue ToC and an extra USB connection on the back. Both will come out around September.

950 is LED and only comes in 46" & 55" and will be out next month.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1047806

Are you sure this tv is coming out next month? I thought is was coming out in September.
agustus is offline  
post #13 of 13 Old 07-26-2008, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
taurus2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Jax, FL
Posts: 4,322
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by agustus View Post

Are you sure this tv is coming out next month? I thought is was coming out in September.

Please read the link that I have provided especially the last few pages. 950 will be out in August while 850/860 will be out in September.

Go 24
taurus2007 is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off