Which Digital TV's have PSIP guide? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-02-2008, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Does anyone know what brand/model TV's have the PSIP guide built it? I have a Vizio TV and love the PCIP guide that's built in. It goes ahead for several days and also gives a nice 1 or 2 page description of each program.
Problem is my Panasonic LCD does not have this nice guide, only a single line stating what the title of the current program is. I really like the PQ of the Panny and would not want to just watch the Vizio, but I really miss the guide. A friends Sony LCD does not have the guide either. If your LCD has this guide feature could you please post brand and model of your TV. Thanks

P.S. I tried calling several mfgs. to ask them if there TV's had the guide, and no one really knew what I was talking about. Panasonic only said there most expensive Plasma's MIGHT have the guide.....Most mfg's websites don't seem to mention guides either. I am only OTA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-02-2008, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

No one else knows what I'm talking about either? It's like a TV guide and tells what programs are coming up for the next few days. It's not TVGOS, and resides on digital channels only.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-02-2008, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know what you're talking about. The 32" Vizio we got my inlaws has it. My 32" Panny doesn't. I have a Humax standalone HDTV tuner that has it and it is very handy. Since the Humax and Vizio were the first two DTV tuners I spent any time with, I assumed all HDTV's came with them. I was really disappointed the Panny didn't have the guide.

Keep an eye out for the EchoStar/Sling OTA HD DVR later this year. It's a DVR for people using the antenna and it will have a guide.
post #4 of 6 Old 02-02-2008, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
It's actually called PSIP.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-03-2008, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Schlick, I'll correct the title of the post. Maybe that's what confused people.
txmatt-Me too. My first Vizio had this PSIP feature and thought all "digital" TV's would have this nice feature. When I purchased my 32" Panny LCD, I was really upset it did not have the guide, but the PQ more than made up for it. And since Sony(another great PQ TV) also did not have the guide, I figured I'd be destined to check the kitchen Vizio for the guide, and then watch most of my viewing on my Panny. I was just checking to see if things have changed as far as the guides. And yes, I have both the tr-40 and tr-50 on my wish list, as soon as they come out. I understand they will have a guide, but not the PSIP guide. It's a Gemstar type guide, which is supposed to be even better that the PSIP guide, which is really not the most reliable, but sure better than nothing.
post #6 of 6 Old 12-11-2011, 03:56 PM

Liked: 10
This is an old thread but I too ONLY use rooftop OTA antenna. Our Sharp LC-52D62U has no guide at all (sucks). The Polaroid FLM 2632 has several lines of program description but the atsc tuner does not recognize/map about half the stations to their proper "channel number" or give any PSIP data e.g. channel 2.1 is found on the Polaroid at 43.1 with no PSIP info while channel 49.1 is at 49.1 with program details but the synopsis of the show is truncated at about 3 or 4 lines then stops in the middle of a sentence. Our Panasonic just gives the title. Our Dynex (Best Buy) gives a few lines of description but not much, our Sony only has TV Guide which works well most of the time but is not the PSIP info. We OTA viewers are the Rodney Dangerfields "I get no respect" of the TV viewers. I am in the Portland OR viewing area.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page