Help me choose Sony Bravia 32'inch - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 02-16-2008, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Antonio_TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Tijuana
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone, first of all let me congratulate you for souch a great and helpful forum, this forums is great for all those who are new to HDTV's like me, well here is my question:

I am new to HDTV's and im going to buy my first HDTV, but in the local store that im going buy the tv only have these two follow models:

-Sony KDL-32S3000

-Sony KDL-32M3000

I've been doing some reasearch one wich one should I purchase, however all of the deatails they gave me I don't understand them since im new to these HDTV's, so here are some reviews I have come across from my research:

Sony KDL-32S3000 review:

http://www.hdtvorg.co.uk/reviews/lcd...dl-32s3000.htm

Sony KDL-32M3000 review:

http://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/sony...dl32m3000.html

so can you please give me an option on wich one should I purchase?

Note: The main reason that im buying the HDTV is for the Playstation 3,
since I play alot of games and wanna watch Blu-Ray movies.
Antonio_TJ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 02-16-2008, 11:40 PM
Member
 
NYMase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio_TJ View Post

Hello everyone, first of all let me congratulate you for souch a great and helpful forum, this forums is great for all those who are new to HDTV's like me, well here is my question:

I am new to HDTV's and im going to buy my first HDTV, but in the local store that im going buy the tv only have these two follow models:

-Sony KDL-32S3000

-Sony KDL-32M3000

I've been doing some reasearch one wich one should I purchase, however all of the deatails they gave me I don't understand them since im new to these HDTV's, so here are some reviews I have come across from my research:

Sony KDL-32S3000 review:

http://www.hdtvorg.co.uk/reviews/lcd...dl-32s3000.htm

Sony KDL-32M3000 review:

http://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/sony...dl32m3000.html

so can you please give me an option on wich one should I purchase?

Note: The main reason that im buying the HDTV is for the Playstation 3,
since I play alot of games and wanna watch Blu-Ray movies.

Considering the PS3 and Blu-ray movies, I would say to go with the 32S3000....Better contrast ratio, better black levels, and the picture just looks much more vivid on the 32S3000 versus the 32M3000...I was just comparing them both in stores and the 32S3000 always looked better with a much clearer and more crisp picture....I especially think the PS3 and Blu-ray movies will look much better on the 32S3000...
NYMase is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 02-17-2008, 02:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
westa6969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: From Michigan now Retired to Naples, FL
Posts: 6,927
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 180
There is no reason to own an "M" bottom of the rung since the "S" series represents true value. I doubt you'll see an "M' in the next gen model as it doesn't deserve a Sony badge on it. It was developed to fill shelf space at the likes of Walmart but Sony should trash it - the "S" is much better IMO.

Hands down "S" but go 40" since a 32" actually is a 26" when vieiwng SD and the 40" is a ten bit panel with ten bit processing - huge factor in favor of the "S" 40" that blows away 1080P eight bit panels. 32" panels are not ten bit with ten bit processing.

From Digital Content Producer Magazine:
"Ten-bit processing represents a potentially significant improvement, and the numbers tell the story. Those two extra data bits create four more permutations, thereby quadrupling the potential number of grays from 256 to 1024 shades. It's an effective, if brute force, method to improving the image." Take a look at the difference Ten Bit makes (It quadruples steps of gray = greater details)

Ten Bit


Eight Bit


Though this demo is Mitsubishi the same principles apply:

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
westa6969 is offline  
post #4 of 7 Old 02-17-2008, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Antonio_TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Tijuana
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you very much for this useful information, I thought no body would respond me, but im glad someone did, I think I know wich one would I purchase.
Antonio_TJ is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 02-17-2008, 10:21 AM
Member
 
Raptor Red's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I like the S 3000 32" for the price at which I got it. There is noticeable gradient banding here and there, not all the time, the picture is impressive IMO. Going up to the Sony from a cheaper brand was 100% worth the jump in price to me.
Raptor Red is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 02-17-2008, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Antonio_TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Tijuana
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Red View Post

I like the S 3000 32" for the price at which I got it. There is noticeable gradient banding here and there, not all the time, the picture is impressive IMO. Going up to the Sony from a cheaper brand was 100% worth the jump in price to me.

can you give me your thoughts on the performance of the TV?
cause thats the one that im going to buy, thanks.
Antonio_TJ is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 02-17-2008, 12:12 PM
Member
 
Raptor Red's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio_TJ View Post

can you give me your thoughts on the performance of the TV?
cause thats the one that im going to buy, thanks.


Keep in mind what I say is all relative, but I'm very pleased overall with the clarity of the picture and the motion of images on screen, not having to deal with overscan issues like with the cheaper 32" LCD tv I previously owned. Blurring is not a noticeable problem to me on tv shows, movies or sports. The picture settings are plentiful so you should be able to calibrate the image close enough to what you would like. Blacks are decent, sometimes they can look lighter to me, other times they look ok. You do get banding on gradients, sometimes noticeable, sometimes not so noticeable, so if that is a deal killer to you then you might want to look elsewhere. I have seen gradients band but then change so they do not look like they are banding.

HD channels are simply amazing, especially Discovery HD Theater. SD analog channels are pretty gross looking, blurry as you might expect, while SD digital channels look very good and come in clear, almost HD like in some instances. If I'm being honest, there is really nothing that disappoints me about this tv, but then I've only owned 1 LCD tv before it that was a cheaper brand so my expectations might be lower than yours and I have not really done any comparison shopping, other than spending 30 minute looking at it side by side with a 32" Toshiba Regza I was actually going to purchase that very day until I saw the Sony.

I also like the layout of the inputs on the back as they face outwards from the back and are not facing down, it was much easier to hook up the coax from the side than trying to hook it up to a connector that was hanging down, but I also am not mounting my tv to wall, so that's another thing to consider I suppose. Also I did not encounter HDMI connection issue with my cable box and this tv, it just worked as opposed to the hassle I had to go through with my previous LCD tv, and the only thing I need to do was change the setting in my cable box to have the sound go through the HDMI. I hope this helps in at least giving you another opinion.
Raptor Red is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off