Battle of the LCD Phillips vs. VIZIO - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 02-17-2008, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey, I've been reading others post, but this is my first one. I'm getting ready to buy one of the following lcds from costco. They are about the same price. Is one of them better than the other one?

VIZIO
VS42LF
$949

OR

Phillips
42PFL7422D

$1199

THanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-17-2008, 04:24 PM

the phillips is a little better in my opinion but for $1199 you could find something better i would wait for a better deal. because both of them are not that good both have horrible blacks vizio's a little better in the blacks but the phillip's has brighter colors i would go for a refurbished unit from a dealer online screw costco's an all allother power dealer's there such a rip off. call cleveland plazma's chris will give you a way better deal dude.
post #3 of 11 Old 02-17-2008, 04:59 PM

Also check out cnet.com and see their reviews of both LCD's.
post #4 of 11 Old 02-17-2008, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Wow you guys reply quick!
post #5 of 11 Old 02-17-2008, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

Unfortunately, Cnet did not review the phillips. All the owners from cnet really liked it.
post #6 of 11 Old 02-17-2008, 11:25 PM

If you can go aonther $200, I picked up my 47" Proscan 47LB45H from Sears for $1400 after $100 Sears card rebate. IDK if the sale is still on though

Paul
4 7 ' ' L C D t v N o T A pRo s c a n
metsys dnuos latigid 0055-z hcetigoL
post #7 of 11 Old 02-18-2008, 08:13 PM

I've had both units. I would go with the Vizio. The two are actually very similar in performance. The Phillips has a much sturdier stand. However the Phillips tends towards a picture that is not very vibrant, albeit pretty accurate. But the Phillips suffers from below-average black levels for a unit in its price range. The Vizio is about as good as you can get for a 42" LCD under 1000$ (coupon is expired now though). As far as NOT buying from Costco, that is up to you. There prices are decent but not the best comapred to some online deals. But IMO, the 90 day return policy and extended warranty are well worth the little extra you pay. I've exchanged tv's like 4 times in the last 2 months already!

At that price range, you aren't gonna do much better. You'd have to spend 4-600$ more to get an appreciable improvement. The Sony V series is good, but suffers from non-defeatable dynamic contrast. The Sharp 42" might be the best in that price range, but many have complained of banding. Samsungs in that price range have been reported to suffer from poor shadow detail, black "crush".
post #8 of 11 Old 02-18-2008, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies, I'm leaning towards the vizio.
post #9 of 11 Old 02-18-2008, 10:13 PM

As someone who has owned a Philips and a Vizio, I have to say go with the Philips. I had a Vizio for 6 months and was happy with it, but the HDMI ports broke and I had to return it to Costco. The floor manager said he had seen quite a few come back for this exact reason, but rarely gets the Philips back due to malfunction. At the time of purchase, both TV's were within 50 dollars of each other, so I cant imagine he was pushing the Philips to up my spending.

The models in question I owned:

Vizio GV47LF and Philips 47PFL7422D/37

For HD quality they are quite comparable. The Vizio tended to produce whiter whites (unrealistic) with the Philips producing better overall accuracy, but not quite as vibrant.

However for SD the Philips wins hands down. The scalar in it is simply better than the Vizio's. When I had the Vizio, watching SD was ok, but always a bit of a problem, and sometimes Id get complaints on its quality. With the Philips I don't get any complaints from anyone anymore.

Also the Philips worked better when attached to my Media Center, as I had no problems getting 1920x1080 over HDMI, which the Vizio was a little sketchy with. However most of these problems have been addressed from what I hear. Still if you have a problem, theres no easy firmware upgrades with Vizio. Philips has a USB port, and upgrading firmware is about a 3 minute process.

That being said, the Vizio is still a good TV, and if most of your content is going to be HD (Blu-Ray, Xbox 360/PS3, HD-Cable/SAT etc.) then go with the Vizio to save some money. But if you want better SD viewing, the Philips is worth it. Also the firmware upgrade via USB is a great bonus.
post #10 of 11 Old 02-19-2008, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Are you saying you can't update the vizios firmware?
post #11 of 11 Old 02-19-2008, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedashingbuddha View Post

Are you saying you can't update the vizios firmware?

I dont see a USB port mentioned anywhere in the specs. Also I dont see a firmware hosted anywhere on Vizio's website, so this would lead me to think you cant update firmware without a technician being called.

Philips has their firmware posted and instructions right on the product support page.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page