Panasonic PX80 Owners Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #271 of 5782 Old 03-13-2008, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member
 
kmil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 643
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by slbosse View Post

AVS to the rescue! Here's where to start that search:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=109

Quote:
Originally Posted by slbosse
AVS to the rescue! Here's where to start that search:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=109

Here's my idea. Two years ago Best Buy was closing out their ZVOX speaker system (1 speaker) at HALF price....ZVOX 315. VERY effective in that it will multiply the quality of your sound beyond your "wildest expectations". Just Google ZVOX......excellent professional reviews across the board. I got mine for 99 dollars!!! Please check back with me/us I'm sure you'll be delighted.

Good Luck!!!
kmil is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #272 of 5782 Old 03-13-2008, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member
 
kmil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 643
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Attn: SLbosse:

Pls see my post on pg 10 about ZVOX speakers. Sorry for goofing up the placement of this response as I intended it to go under your post.
kmil is offline  
post #273 of 5782 Old 03-13-2008, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
LarryInRI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: in RI
Posts: 5,266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lofty17 View Post

Not me, man.

I'm still holding out for one of the soon to come models. I do agree with this Larry though. My tastes run toward accuracy rather than "pop" or "Wow" or other superlatives. I don't think that will ultimately translate into what most people want to see on their TVs. Other people's settings probably won't translate well anyway due to production differences.

I also don't like nuclear greens. Lambeau Field in the midst of a snowstorm with Bret Favre having the time of his life is my ideal perfect picture. And I don't even care about football.

Well said, Lofty.

Just a point on "production differences":

Given that after coming off the production line, TVs of the same model/screen size, e.g. a 42px80u or a 50pz85u, might have minor differences in the Service Menu settings, the resultant picture should exhibit insignificant differences in the perceived picture for the same User Menu settings. In other words, during production, the Service Menu is adjusted to create TV models that are indistinguishable from one another. It's just like cell phones or computers. There is no magic in the production of electronic devices.

Stated in yet another way, the differences in User Menu settings among viewers is strictly due to subjective preferences.

I hope that this does not cause a confusion. I know that some will disagree but that is a different subject -- that of the philosophy and implementation of manufacturing.

Larry
LarryInRI is offline  
post #274 of 5782 Old 03-13-2008, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
LarryInRI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: in RI
Posts: 5,266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmil View Post

Do the 2008 Panasonic Viera Plasmas, Th-50PX80U for example, come with a PRINTED manual?

Yes.
LarryInRI is offline  
post #275 of 5782 Old 03-13-2008, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member
 
kmil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 643
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI View Post

Yes.

Thanks! Can you bypass inputs on the 50PX80U? In other words can I make "TV" the number one choice and the "DVD" number two choice so I don't have to skip thru all the other choices in between?
kmil is offline  
post #276 of 5782 Old 03-13-2008, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
LarryInRI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: in RI
Posts: 5,266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmil View Post

Thanks! Can you bypass inputs on the 50PX80U? In other words can I make "TV" the number one choice and the "DVD" number two choice so I don't have to skip thru all the other choices in between?

Yes, in a number of ways. It's in the manual.

Larry
LarryInRI is offline  
post #277 of 5782 Old 03-13-2008, 11:54 AM
Member
 
Laxguy023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
QUICK QUESTION. Are all 3 HDMI Inputs on the back of the TV or are there 2 on the back and 1 on the front? Thanks!
Laxguy023 is offline  
post #278 of 5782 Old 03-13-2008, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
LarryInRI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: in RI
Posts: 5,266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 147
http://service.us.panasonic.com/operman/

EDIT: Cross posting is discouraged, Laxguy
LarryInRI is offline  
post #279 of 5782 Old 03-13-2008, 03:56 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"
 
RandyWalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: El Segundo, Calif
Posts: 17,500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmil View Post

Do the 2008 Panasonic Viera Plasmas, Th-50PX80U for example, come with a PRINTED manual?

You mean like, as opposed to braille?

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
RandyWalters is offline  
post #280 of 5782 Old 03-13-2008, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
LarryInRI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: in RI
Posts: 5,266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Cute, Randy, cute

Larry
LarryInRI is offline  
post #281 of 5782 Old 03-13-2008, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
kmil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 643
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

You mean like, as opposed to braille?

Randy: Thanks for the info. I'll check the manual (don't have set yet) and see if I can get............a "finger" on things! :-)

Couldn't resist it Randy!
kmil is offline  
post #282 of 5782 Old 03-13-2008, 04:23 PM
Newbie
 
Subaru41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by smbsocal View Post

Laxguy023 - We picked up a 42PX80U this past weekend and it is very silent. I have only heard a little bit of buzz from it once and haven't heard anything since. I think the buzz was from the image that was being put out by the cable box. We have it in our bedroom so we use it at night when everything else is quiet and I am very picky about buzzing noises. I also let the burn-in DVD run during the day over the weekend so it ran with very little rest.

I have to say that aside from the cheap remote I am very impressed by the unit.


I ordered the 42PX80U and I will get next Tuesday, 3-18. Anyways does the TV come with a burn in dvd. or can you buy one?
Subaru41 is offline  
post #283 of 5782 Old 03-13-2008, 04:29 PM
Newbie
 
seifertb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexInvision View Post

Really depends, what is your viewing distance and if you are looking to get blu ray as well. The price difference is pretty large between 720P and 1080P, not as bad as last years but still pretty substantial.

thanks for the reply, my viewing distance is approx 10-13 feet. Not sure about the BD player yet, maybe when the price comes down.
seifertb is offline  
post #284 of 5782 Old 03-13-2008, 05:10 PM
Senior Member
 
jumbo11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 453
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any other user with this set can comment on how the 1024x768 resolution looks like?

I've seen this set running next to the 1080p version at BestBuy and honestly couldn't see a difference standing in front of them but I don't know what source they were running.

I would be moving from a 26" 1366x768 to this set and the resolution is the only thing I have doubts on.
jumbo11 is offline  
post #285 of 5782 Old 03-13-2008, 05:20 PM
Member
 
cashmonee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have read nearly all of this thread, but can't seem to find a definitive answer to my question. I will be moving in a few months and the new house will have a window opposite the TV. For this reason, I bought an LCD, but am VERY unhappy with it (Aquos 46D64U), and I am returning it tomorrow. Will the anti-reflective coating on the PX80 be sufficient to keep glare down during the day? Will the TV be washed out? Basically am I stuck with LCD?
cashmonee is offline  
post #286 of 5782 Old 03-13-2008, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
LarryInRI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: in RI
Posts: 5,266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru41 View Post

I ordered the 42PX80U and I will get next Tuesday, 3-18. Anyways does the TV come with a burn in dvd. or can you buy one?

There has been no need to burn in a Panasonic for the past 2-3 generations. I have a 42px75u and a 42px80u. Neither has been burned in using anything other than normal viewing. Special burn-in procedures are not needed any longer.

I guess this this topic will never die.

BUT if you really need a burn-in disk, do a search in this plasma forum and you will find one to download.

Larry
LarryInRI is offline  
post #287 of 5782 Old 03-13-2008, 05:48 PM
Newbie
 
lmizike33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by k3k3k3 View Post

After some vexations with inconvenient wall studs, I have my 50PX80U up and running...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3193/...6db3f031_b.jpg

You can see the starburst reflection off the glossy cabinet rim from the camera flash. Note how the anti-glare seems to attenuate the the flash significantly.

Wire management is still in progress. Or perhaps not since the beer is cold and the tunes are good....

Very nice pic! I too will be mounting my 50PX80U near a fireplace. Are there any specifications/rule of thumb as far as allowable temperature for 50PX80U? Do I need to be concerned with my fireplace causing any kind of damage to the plasma?

Ordered mine 2 weeks ago through EPP. Called Panasonic earlier this week and they indicated it ships end of next week.
lmizike33 is offline  
post #288 of 5782 Old 03-13-2008, 06:05 PM
Member
 
Wolfe_CH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I guess I'm one who prefers more 'Pop'. Had the 42px80u since Saturday. I like it a lot. Seems to have surprisingly good whites, and you can really crank it if you prefer that look. Blacks aren't quite as "inky" as I'd hoped, but I'm coming from a standard 27" tube TV, so I may have been expecting too much.

One thing I noticed (never owned a Panny before) is each of the Picture Mode settings is different from each other (e.g. setting Standard and Cinema to the same numbers will still result in the picture looking different). And each input does not have a separate Mode setting (setting Standard on one input changes it for all). The only exception is 'Custom', which holds its settings for each input.



I don't have too many hours on the set yet and I think I'm still enjoying the 'Wow' factor, so I'll likely be adjusting these down at some point in the future, but here's what I've come up with so far:

Basic Cable using QAM (no STB):
Mode: Standard
Picture: 45
Brightness: 35
Color: 50
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 75
Color Temp: Normal
Color Mgmt: On
x.v. Color: --
Video NR: Off
Color Matrix: -- (SD or HD)
MPEG Noise: Off
Black Level: Light

It's surprising how much headroom is left on the Picture (white setting). And a 'Dark' Black Level seems to really crush the blacks on any setting I tried.



For the HDMI input I used a combination of THX Optimizer on the Star Wars II disc and the AVS HD-DVD Calibration Disk, and then adjusted using a variety of movies I'm familiar with. But I'm no expert with this stuff.

HD-DVD:
Mode: Cinema
Picture: 76
Brightness: 43
Color: 55
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 75 (doesn't seem to make much difference?)
Color Temp: Normal (can't get used to Warm)
Color Mgmt: On
x.v. Color: Auto
Video NR: Off
Color Matrix: -- (HD)
MPEG Noise: Off
Black Level: Light



Side bars for 4:3 SD signals are set to Mid; I don't know if that's best or not, though (don't care for the stretch modes). This set does have a cool scrolling white vertical bar available under the Anti-Image Retention tab.

Quote:


rcavictor1956 wrote:
TV will be running Discovery channel for my official break-in period. I plan on just letting the tv run all weekend day and night and call it broken in Monday evening.

One unfortunate thing I found is the Discover Channel HD doesn't run "fullscreen" (erm - 16:9) 100% of the time like I thought it did. Strangely some of the commercials, and even a few of the programs, have ~1 inch of black bars on the sides. I've been switching to Food HD and National Geographic as well, though they're even less perfect than Discover. While I'm trying not to obsess over it, it's still irritating since it seems so unnecessary to have those tiny little bars on the side at all.

Quote:


Laxguy023 wrote:
Are all 3 HDMI Inputs on the back of the TV or are there 2 on the back and 1 on the front?

The US model has 2 in back and 1 in front (under the flip up panel). From a review I read it seems the European model has all 3 on back.


- Chris
Wolfe_CH is offline  
post #289 of 5782 Old 03-13-2008, 06:27 PM
Member
 
kram2583's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI View Post

There has been no need to burn in a Panasonic for the past 2-3 generations. I have a 42px75u and a 42px80u. Neither has been burned in using anything other than normal viewing. Special burn-in procedures are not needed any longer.

I guess this this topic will never die.

BUT if you really need a burn-in disk, do a search in this plasma forum and you will find one to download.

Larry

This must mean that someone else is burning in these plasmas... WHO IS IT!?
kram2583 is offline  
post #290 of 5782 Old 03-13-2008, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member
 
rcavictor1956's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio/Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
Posts: 867
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfe_CH View Post


One unfortunate thing I found is the Discover Channel HD doesn't run "fullscreen" (erm - 16:9) 100% of the time like I thought it did. Strangely some of the commercials, and even a few of the programs, have ~1 inch of black bars on the sides. I've been switching to Food HD and National Geographic as well, though they're even less perfect than Discover. While I'm trying not to obsess over it, it's still irritating since it seems so unnecessary to have those tiny little bars on the side at all.



- Chris

Thanks for the info....

"You know Andy....I never thought our town would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger.

Barney Fife
rcavictor1956 is offline  
post #291 of 5782 Old 03-13-2008, 11:00 PM
Member
 
k3k3k3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashmonee View Post

I have read nearly all of this thread, but can't seem to find a definitive answer to my question. I will be moving in a few months and the new house will have a window opposite the TV. For this reason, I bought an LCD, but am VERY unhappy with it (Aquos 46D64U), and I am returning it tomorrow. Will the anti-reflective coating on the PX80 be sufficient to keep glare down during the day? Will the TV be washed out? Basically am I stuck with LCD?

I have 3 46X70 windows in my living room, along with an open hallway that has a 7 foot sliding glass door and another 46X70 window. Essentially, the wall my tv is mounted on is nearly all glass.

Obviously there is some glare. I'd say less than what a conventional crt (have one competing with another two of those big windows in my spare bedroom) would give you, and I'd also say it is no more bothersome than what affected my old Olevia.
k3k3k3 is offline  
post #292 of 5782 Old 03-14-2008, 06:25 AM
Senior Member
 
jumbo11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 453
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any word on when Costco is going to start carrying this? They still have the 07 model listed on the website as of now.

Also to any owner, how does these sets handle motion? For example scrolling text?
jumbo11 is offline  
post #293 of 5782 Old 03-14-2008, 08:05 AM
Member
 
trxjw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well I made it to the local BB last night to check out the PX80. When I got in there, to my surprise they had the PX80 right next to the 4280 Kuro, and right below them was the 42PZ700U. It was like they knew I was coming..

Anyway, I was very impressed with all three sets. Unfortunately, I wasn't allowed to delve into the settings on any of them due to the manager being a prick (but what manager thinks a 24 year old can afford a plasma anyway right?).

I tried to simulate the viewing distance I have at home from my favorite spot on the couch, folded my arms and stood there and watched all 3 sets for a few minutes. It was pretty clear that the PX80 was set to vivid picture, because the colors were extremely bright, but the blacks were still very very good. They weren't quite as good as the Kuro, but I dare to say they were pretty close. The PZ700U was obviously the most detailed when I shortened the distance, but even at 6ish feet (my avg view distance at home), I didn't notice any SDE on either of the 720p sets.

The blacks on the PZ700U also seemed much grayer than the Kuro and the PX80, so that pretty much axed it off of my list. In the end, I don't think the price difference between the Pio and the Panny is really warranted, but that's just my opinion. Actually, once my girlfriend finished hording all of the Gilmore Girls DVD's they had in stock (or whatever it is she does), she came back and found me. She looked at all 3 and said she couldn't decide between the Kuro and the PX80. She ended up choosing the Kuro though because she didn't like the bezel on the PX80. I had no problem with it myself, but to each their own.

I think Panny has really nailed it with this set. The price point is just so good that it's almost impossible to pass up for the quality you're getting. I'm going to have to get it side by side with an 85U (which they didn't have on display) before I make my decision. 46" might also be the sweet spot for me.
trxjw is offline  
post #294 of 5782 Old 03-14-2008, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member
 
rcavictor1956's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio/Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
Posts: 867
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by trxjw View Post

Well I made it to the local BB last night to check out the PX80. When I got in there, to my surprise they had the PX80 right next to the 4280 Kuro, and right below them was the 42PZ700U. It was like they knew I was coming..

Anyway, I was very impressed with all three sets. Unfortunately, I wasn't allowed to delve into the settings on any of them due to the manager being a prick (but what manager thinks a 24 year old can afford a plasma anyway right?).

I tried to simulate the viewing distance I have at home from my favorite spot on the couch, folded my arms and stood there and watched all 3 sets for a few minutes. It was pretty clear that the PX80 was set to vivid picture, because the colors were extremely bright, but the blacks were still very very good. They weren't quite as good as the Kuro, but I dare to say they were pretty close. The PZ700U was obviously the most detailed when I shortened the distance, but even at 6ish feet (my avg view distance at home), I didn't notice any SDE on either of the 720p sets.

The blacks on the PZ700U also seemed much grayer than the Kuro and the PX80, so that pretty much axed it off of my list. In the end, I don't think the price difference between the Pio and the Panny is really warranted, but that's just my opinion. Actually, once my girlfriend finished hording all of the Gilmore Girls DVD's they had in stock (or whatever it is she does), she came back and found me. She looked at all 3 and said she couldn't decide between the Kuro and the PX80. She ended up choosing the Kuro though because she didn't like the bezel on the PX80. I had no problem with it myself, but to each their own.

I think Panny has really nailed it with this set. The price point is just so good that it's almost impossible to pass up for the quality you're getting. I'm going to have to get it side by side with an 85U (which they didn't have on display) before I make my decision. 46" might also be the sweet spot for me.

Thanks for the input...my set is being delivered later this afternoon!!!! I cannot wait.

"You know Andy....I never thought our town would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger.

Barney Fife
rcavictor1956 is offline  
post #295 of 5782 Old 03-14-2008, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
LarryInRI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: in RI
Posts: 5,266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by kram2583 View Post

This must mean that someone else is burning in these plasmas... WHO IS IT!?

There is a whole thread in this forum dedicated to the disk. The link to download it is in the first post. Please learn how to search.

EDIT: If you mean, why are people burning the disks, the answer is that they are frightened. There is no rational reason to do it.

Larry
LarryInRI is offline  
post #296 of 5782 Old 03-14-2008, 01:26 PM
Member
 
kram2583's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI View Post

There is a whole thread in this forum dedicated to the disk. The link to download it is in the first post. Please learn how to search.

EDIT: If you mean, why are people burning the disks, the answer is that they are frightened. There is no rational reason to do it.

Larry

No Larry, I'm in agreement with you. I was being facetious. I meant to imply that because, as you said, there is no need to burn in these new plasmas on receipt, then SURELY some mysterious entity must be burning them in pre-purchase.
kram2583 is offline  
post #297 of 5782 Old 03-14-2008, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
LarryInRI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: in RI
Posts: 5,266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by kram2583 View Post

No Larry, I'm in agreement with you. I was being facetious. I meant to imply that because, as you said, there is no need to burn in these new plasmas on receipt, then SURELY some mysterious entity must be burning them in pre-purchase.

Sorry, Kram. Facetiousness is hard to project in text. The entity that you mention is in the mind of the buyer, I guess.

Larry
LarryInRI is offline  
post #298 of 5782 Old 03-14-2008, 01:55 PM
Member
 
Skip Merck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Panasonic says no vivid mode till past 100 hrs. Then why in the world is every set sent out the door in vivid with the settings cranked. No big box store breaks anything in. Yet I have not seen any burned images on any of the plasmas I have looked at. I did keep my settings down till past 100 hrs and the screen full but it is probably totally unnecessary.
Skip Merck is offline  
post #299 of 5782 Old 03-14-2008, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
LarryInRI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: in RI
Posts: 5,266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Merck View Post

Panasonic says no vivid mode till past 100 hrs. Then why in the world is every set sent out the door in vivid with the settings cranked. No big box store breaks anything in. Yet I have not seen any burned images on any of the plasmas I have looked at. I did keep my settings down till past 100 hrs and the screen full but it is probably totally unnecessary.

Panasonic, like all other TV manufacturers, set the picture in torch mode at the factory so any TV from any box opened at the store for display is ready to say "look at me, look at me," Nothing complicated.

Larry
LarryInRI is offline  
post #300 of 5782 Old 03-14-2008, 03:08 PM
Member
 
Skip Merck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That just proves to me that break in is not as critical as everyone makes it out to be.
Skip Merck is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Th 42px80u , Panasonic Viera Th 50px80u 50 Inch 720p Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Th 42pz85u 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Th 46pz80u 46 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Th 50pz800u 50 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Th 58pz850u 58 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off