Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 5782 Old 03-18-2008, 08:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmil View Post

Thanks for your "Standard" settings. We would sure appreciate you giving us the settings for the other modes such as "Vivid", "Cinema", "Custom" etc. Even if you DON'T have them (didn't change them) yet we'd appreciate trying them out. Find settings YOUR comfortable with, then let us know. Once again,

Thanks!

are the other modes something different than just preset settings?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 5782 Old 03-19-2008, 07:35 AM

Two pics of of the Wii I took last night (using 4yr. old camera).

post #453 of 5782 Old 03-19-2008, 07:56 AM

So does everyone have this on their screen? I do and have heard from 3 other members here saying they saw the same thing.
post #454 of 5782 Old 03-19-2008, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiotcentral View Post

I was waiting on the 42px80 u to put on the wall in my bedroom. There's a coax line buried in the wall running directly to the tv mount. Trouble for me.. the 42px80u doesn't have a cable card slot. And if I hook up a box (which I don't want to anyway) the signal will have to travel along (yellow/red/white) rca lines (also buried in the wall). Why this information was kept secret until the units showed up in stores is anybody's guess.

So, I go to the Panasonic website to see if there are higher end 80/85 models with the cable card. Select a bunch of tvs, press compare, and lo and behold, under "cable card compatible" the all say N/A. That information is not available.

What kind of cheesebox operation are they running.

More to the point, does ANYBODY know if ANY of the new 42 inch Panasonic plasmas come with a cable card option?

Ridiculous.

Unfortunately, very few TVs in general come with CableCard options anymore. In fact, a quick search of Amazon only turns up one current model (a Mitsubishi) plus I know Pioneers have them. CableCard in TVs seems to have failed, and the only future for it is in HTPCs and Tivo.

In short, if you need CableCard your selection is narrowed to a Mitsubishi and a handful of Pioneers.
post #455 of 5782 Old 03-19-2008, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxguy023 View Post

So does everyone have this on their screen? I do and have heard from 3 other members here saying they saw the same thing.

I think it is standard issue and isn't something that affects some vs. others.

It looks like part of the substrate material or maybe has something to do with the coating.

It doesn't bother me.
post #456 of 5782 Old 03-19-2008, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malicious View Post

I think it is standard issue and isn't something that affects some vs. others.

It looks like part of the substrate material or maybe has something to do with the coating.

It doesn't bother me.

I would guess that is is not necessarily an "issue", but rather... a solution. I think it is probably the new anti-glare coating, and the pattern just being a by-product of that.

But then again... I have no idea.
post #457 of 5782 Old 03-19-2008, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI View Post

Doug,

The new 42px80u has no noticable false contouring or posterization. Maybe I got an exceptional unit but this one won't need any SM work. I am extremely pleased with it.

Larry

I think you can only speak for your set. As I have mentioned previously, mine exhibits posterization/false contouring.
post #458 of 5782 Old 03-19-2008, 10:32 AM

I just purchased the th42px80u from hhgregg. Got a pretty good deal. I went ahead and had them deliver it, should be coming in tomorrow. Only problem is I have to wait to switch over to an HD cable box, but I have movies and PS3 until then

Does anyone know if the standard digital cable from Time Warner has any HD channels, or do you have to get the HD package even for the network channels? Not on topic at all, so sorry if that's against the rules.
post #459 of 5782 Old 03-19-2008, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malicious View Post

are the other modes something different than just preset settings?

I believe the "other modes" are almost certainly preset at factory, HOWEVER I'm nearly 100% sure YOU can change each of the other modes to what YOU want.
post #460 of 5782 Old 03-19-2008, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper View Post

I think you can only speak for your set. As I have mentioned previously, mine exhibits posterization/false contouring.

Dopper,

I clearly stated that I was talking only about my set.

As I said in post #371, you should exchange your TV or call the Panasonic Concierge. Panasonic is terrific when a TV needs repair or replacement. Minutes after my new 42px80u was delivered, it started exhibiting vertical green lines in the dark areas of the picture. I called the Concierge service and within three days an authorized Panasonic repair technician had replaced the C1 and C2 boards in my home and fixed the problem. Don't hesitate in calling them.

If anyone is interested in looking at tech manuals including the xxPX75u which is essentially the same as the xxPX80u, here is the link:

http://www.pasctraining.panasonic.co..._Downloads.htm

Larry
post #461 of 5782 Old 03-19-2008, 11:55 AM

Just throwing this out there for general information purposes; up until last night I had ~20 hours on my 42px80u (all viewed with the "Standard" picture setting). I grabbed a new PlayStation3 and spent at least 3 straight hours playing MLB 2008: The Show last night, and have had zero image retention issues.
post #462 of 5782 Old 03-19-2008, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onepoint View Post

Just throwing this out there for general information purposes; up until last night I had ~20 hours on my 42px80u (all viewed with the "Standard" picture setting). I grabbed a new PlayStation3 and spent at least 3 straight hours playing MLB 2008: The Show last night, and have had zero image retention issues.

Great to hear that as I'm gonna pick mine up once I sell my current set.
post #463 of 5782 Old 03-19-2008, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxguy023 View Post

I see this, but it is pointless as I can only see it when I look for it by focusing of a reflection while on top of the screen at a funny angle.
post #464 of 5782 Old 03-19-2008, 11:47 PM

Here are some examples of posterization that I'm getting with my 42PX80U. Larry, I will contact Panasonic if I decide to keep the set.
LL
LL
LL
post #465 of 5782 Old 03-20-2008, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Here are some examples of posterization that I'm getting with my 42PX80U. Larry, I will contact Panasonic if I decide to keep the set.

Are those images from cable or a dvd?
post #466 of 5782 Old 03-20-2008, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artslinger View Post

Are those images from cable or a dvd?

They are from HD Cable (NBC 1080i).
post #467 of 5782 Old 03-20-2008, 08:45 AM

What do other channels and HD-DVD or Blu-ray look like?

If they look fine, then I bet your cable company is compressing the channel, which can reduce picture quality.
post #468 of 5782 Old 03-20-2008, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

They are from HD Cable (NBC 1080i).

Thanks for the pictures. I had no idea of what "posterization" was but thanks to your pictures it is now perfectly clear. BTW, my question is would one be less likely to see it if there TV is 720P? My TV & DVD will both be 720P.
post #469 of 5782 Old 03-20-2008, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Dopper,

That is mild posterizion, indeed. However, NBCs reputation for overcompressing their HD transmission is well known.

I would first watch a NBC HD live news program. If you see the posterization during in-studio scenes try another HD station showing the news. (The Newshour on PBS is now in HD. CNN is in HD, also. In-studio programming on ESPN also is a good source.) If you see it on all stations even with setting a higher Brightness level, your set may be defective.

Let us know what settings you are currently using.

Larry
post #470 of 5782 Old 03-20-2008, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
yes, definitely check other sources. NBC is downright terrible quality at times.

xbox live/PSN: Chad473
post #471 of 5782 Old 03-20-2008, 10:53 AM

Quote:

Dopper,

That is mild posterizion, indeed. However, NBCs reputation for overcompressing their HD transmission is well known.

I would first watch a NBC HD live news program. If you see the posterization during in-studio scenes try another HD station showing the news. (The Newshour on PBS is now in HD. CNN is in HD, also. In-studio programming on ESPN also is a good source.) If you see it on all stations even with setting a higher Brightness level, your set may be defective.

Let us know what settings you are currently using.

Larry

It's hard for me to capture the degree of posterization with still shots. If you saw it in motion, I doubt you'd think it was mild. I've seen posterization on multiple channels with a variety of settings and resolutions. I don't have CNN HD, but I have seen it during SportsCenter on ESPN HD. I don't have Blu-Ray or HD-DVD so I haven't been able to test those.

You can also see the problem on one of Towelie's photos, post #377, picture DSC00026.
post #472 of 5782 Old 03-20-2008, 11:27 AM

Hey guys. This is my first hdtv so I don't know if this is normal or not. Is it normal to see a lot of blur during basketball games? I'm watching the ncaa tournament on cbs and notice it mostly during fast movement and camera switching. I can also see it in the studio whenever the screen changes between commentaters to greg gumbel. It's like it takes the camera (or tv) 1-2 seconds to focus. But once the camera settles down and is still the picture looks perfectly crisp. Also, when a player is walking the ball up the court it isn't noticeable, but it is when a player drives fast upcourt. Is this motion blur? Is this plasma better or worse than others in this regard? I've read that generally plasmas are better than lcd in this regard. Thanks
post #473 of 5782 Old 03-20-2008, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
what you are seeing is likely the feed, especially if your local cbs is running subchannels. fast motion sports can look pretty rough if they aren't getting the full bandwidth because of subchannels. Are you seeing pixellation/image breakup on fast pans and motion too? If you get a chance, check out one of the NIT games on espnhd or an nba game on tnt. those feeds generally don't suffer from the motion problems many see on cbs. my local cbs was pretty bad for some of the tourney games last year.

xbox live/PSN: Chad473
post #474 of 5782 Old 03-20-2008, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's hard for me to capture the degree of posterization with still shots. If you saw it in motion, I doubt you'd think it was mild. I've seen posterization on multiple channels with a variety of settings and resolutions. I don't have CNN HD, but I have seen it during SportsCenter on ESPN HD. I don't have Blu-Ray or HD-DVD so I haven't been able to test those.

You can also see the problem on one of Towelie's photos, post #377, picture DSC00026.

I can't tell anything from the photo, Dopper. It has been very compressed and that, in itself, is a cause of posterization.

I am very sensitive to posterization myself. At this point, I would exchange the unit and try another.

Larry

BTW, post your settings for the Cinema mode.
post #475 of 5782 Old 03-20-2008, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Could one of you owners help me out....

I was checking out the PX80U at BB, but the black level on that unit was absolute a$$. I grabbed the remote and put the TV on Cinema/Warm, but still the blacks looked very grey next to a $2000 Samsung LCD next to it.

Am I searching for some plasma magic that's not there? Or do I need to turn down brightness on top of setting Cinema/Warm to get what I want to see at home?
post #476 of 5782 Old 03-20-2008, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Maybe the person before you that grabbed the remote, changed the settings.
post #477 of 5782 Old 03-20-2008, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsanga View Post

I was checking out the PX80U at BB, but the black level on that unit was absolute a$$. I grabbed the remote and put the TV on Cinema/Warm, but still the blacks looked very grey next to a $2000 Samsung LCD next to it.

Am I searching for some plasma magic that's not there? Or do I need to turn down brightness on top of setting Cinema/Warm to get what I want to see at home?

Maybe it is the store setting...I have mine on custom/warm....my blacks are black...there is no gray...light gray whatsoever. Love this television!!! I have my black level set on light.

"You know Andy....I never thought our town would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger.

Barney Fife
post #478 of 5782 Old 03-20-2008, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Maybe the person before you that grabbed the remote, changed the settings.

No, I used the remote to change the picture setting while I was standing in front of it.

Also noticed obvious jaggies on the BB logo during the feed loop. Dunno if this was the feed....

Edit: maybe I just have to turn down the default brightness in Cinema/Warm?
post #479 of 5782 Old 03-20-2008, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, I used the remote to change the picture setting while I was standing in front of it.

Also noticed obvious jaggies on the BB logo during the feed loop. Dunno if this was the feed....

Edit: maybe I just have to turn down the default brightness in Cinema/Warm?

Before that maybe you should hit the reset item in the Cinema mode to make sure that it is what you assume it is.

Keep in mind that we are disussing an entry level TV -- you get what you pay for. In this case, in my opinion, you get much more than what you pay for.

Larry
post #480 of 5782 Old 03-20-2008, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just stopped by another BB on the way home (I drive by at least 3 BB's on the way home from work), and checked out another PX80U. This store had the bank of overhead lighting turned off by the wall of TVs, and the store is much bigger and deeper (and farther away from entry doors/windows), so viewing conditions were much more favorable.

The PX80U here was much, much better, using just the default Cinema/Warm setting. I'm still convinced at the other store, more than just ambient light was affecting the picture (since I was comparing to other TVs along the same wall), but I'm not complaining about this TV anymore.

Once the picture was turned off Vivid, the jaggies in the BB logo also disappeared.

Right next to it was a PZ80U, and I also put this TV on Cinema/Warm. Without changing other settings, the PZ was redder. At 7-8 feet, the only time I could tell a difference was during a helicopter long shot of a herd of gazelles running across the screen.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Th 42px80u , Panasonic Viera Th 50px80u 50 Inch 720p Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Th 42pz85u 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Th 46pz80u 46 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Th 50pz800u 50 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Th 58pz850u 58 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page