Panasonic PX80 Owners Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 5782 Old 03-22-2008, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
both, every half hour or so I would switch to a blank input to see if I could see anything.

xbox live/PSN: Chad473
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 5782 Old 03-22-2008, 11:16 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad473 View Post

both, every half hour or so I would switch to a blank input to see if I could see anything.

Interesting. I had clearly visible IR, after only a short time on both the Wii and my Apple TV. And my TV is beyond the 100 hour break-in. I am beginning to hate TVs. I dislike LCDs picture and backlighting issues, but I also don't want a plasma with a terrible picture from uneven wear after a few years.
post #543 of 5782 Old 03-22-2008, 11:39 PM

how much heat does this tv put out? my parents have a 50" phillips plasma (3 years old now) and you can feel the heat from about 3 feet away. i am looking for a 42" for my apartment and my A/C sucks, especially in the middle of summer, so i am a little concerned about this tv making me sweat and drool at the same time

i have a 42" 1080p olevia lcd currently, but the greyish purple is killing me (the blacks are actually fine if you sit directly in front of it though, but once you move away from that spot, its just ugly). this tv does make my living room about 3-5 degrees warmer than the rest of the apartment when i have my ps3 plus surround sound going all at the same time. i am alright with it being about like this, but i don't really want it to get much hotter than that.

also, for the 100 hour breakin, is it best to leave it on for several days, or just have the setttings lowered for the first 100 hours? also, would it be alright to play COD4 for ps3 on this for a few hours at a time during the breakin time or should i limit myself to less than that?

also has anyone tried out the game setting yet?
post #544 of 5782 Old 03-23-2008, 12:22 AM

Well I just finished watching TV for an hour and decided to see if the IR was present and found this little gift in the corner. Can anyone guess what channel I watched?

Needless to say, I am done with plasma. IR like that after only an hour of viewing is unacceptable. I don't care how great a deal it was or how good the picture is, I won't deal with that.
post #545 of 5782 Old 03-23-2008, 01:58 AM

Did that IR go away or is it still there?
post #546 of 5782 Old 03-23-2008, 02:35 AM

The amount of IR seems to be varying per panel if I read this. I just picked up my 42PX80 (European, but that shouldn't matter for the panel itself). It asked me if I was using it in a Store or at Home (funny guys).

Anyway, turned down the settings a few notches from the "Home" setting which were halfway. First couple of hours watched some DVD's that had 16:9 aspect ratio.

Last night we had gaming sessions with some nieces, at first I was hesitant but I 'sacrificed' the 42" as well. Played mainly Wii on that display, including Guitar Hero and the likes. I have seen not a single sign of IR.... It's not like they had the same game screen on for hours in a row though
post #547 of 5782 Old 03-23-2008, 02:39 AM
Advanced Member

Cashmonee, maybe you should lower your picture settings on your TV. There is no reason that you should have IR that bad after only an hour (unless you bought some crappy Insignia or something).

Hell, I watch ESPNHD all day on my plasma, and I don't have even the slightest bit of IR. What are your picture settings?
post #548 of 5782 Old 03-23-2008, 05:14 AM

Maybe I took the picture tooo close
Here is one a little further away.

its not bigger than a dot
post #549 of 5782 Old 03-23-2008, 07:37 AM

Hi, I plan to get the 42px80 now. but the problem is, with the native solution of 1024 x 768, what happen if I hook it up to my htpc? you can only get 1024 x 768 on the pc? please advice.
post #550 of 5782 Old 03-23-2008, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantbeyou View Post

how much heat does this tv put out? my parents have a 50" phillips plasma (3 years old now) and you can feel the heat from about 3 feet away. i am looking for a 42" for my apartment and my A/C sucks, especially in the middle of summer, so i am a little concerned about this tv making me sweat and drool at the same time

i have a 42" 1080p olevia lcd currently, but the greyish purple is killing me (the blacks are actually fine if you sit directly in front of it though, but once you move away from that spot, its just ugly). this tv does make my living room about 3-5 degrees warmer than the rest of the apartment when i have my ps3 plus surround sound going all at the same time. i am alright with it being about like this, but i don't really want it to get much hotter than that.

also, for the 100 hour breakin, is it best to leave it on for several days, or just have the setttings lowered for the first 100 hours? also, would it be alright to play COD4 for ps3 on this for a few hours at a time during the breakin time or should i limit myself to less than that?

also has anyone tried out the game setting yet?

I have a Hitachi 42" plasma in the bedroom and it puts off alot of heat. We have even called it our space heater. The 50PX80U does not even compare. Very little heat. I might even bring a heat gun home from work and compare the temp at the screen. Even without something to measure it the diference is obvious.
post #551 of 5782 Old 03-23-2008, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by praniln View Post

Did that IR go away or is it still there?

It is still faintly there this morning. I know it will go away, that is not really the problem. The problem is that we (my wife especially) watch a fair amount of 4:3. Also many of the channels we watch have solid bugs, TLC, ESPN, sports with score boards, etc. With all of that non-16:9 full screen 'clean' motion viewing, I am afraid of what the panel will look like after a few years of uneven wear. I fear having brighter sides with a darker middle. or a bright spot where all the television logos are. BTW, you can't see it in the picture, but an ESPN logo had been retained as well just below the TLC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeelo58 View Post

Cashmonee, maybe you should lower your picture settings on your TV. There is no reason that you should have IR that bad after only an hour (unless you bought some crappy Insignia or something).

Hell, I watch ESPNHD all day on my plasma, and I don't have even the slightest bit of IR. What are your picture settings?

Everything was below 50 except picture was at 64. However, the IR from my Wii (which was the harder of the two to get rid of) was on a different input where picture was set to 45 and everything else was below 50. I also figured that would not matter since I am past the initial 'break-in' period.

The reason I think I may just go LCD is because at least its picture is a know quantity. My computer monitor (5 yrs old) and Aquos (2 yrs old), have the same picture they had when I bought them, maybe just a little dimmer. With plasma and the likelihood of all this uneven wear, I have no idea what I will have in a few years.
post #552 of 5782 Old 03-23-2008, 08:41 AM

My first TH-42PX80U apparently had a bad panel, it had IR issues that were incredibly bad.

I ALMOST got an LCD, but I got another TH-42PX80U instead... they said if you can break it in 30 days bring it back.

This one has no noticeable IR at all from menus, etc. The last one would ghost a menu for several minutes.

I won't be gaming on this thing until 100 hours of break in have been done.
post #553 of 5782 Old 03-23-2008, 08:44 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by scenehouser View Post

hey guys,

i received my 42px80 yesterday and i have a big problem;
i can't get my hdmi inputs to work properly with my x360, ps3 or receiver.
the hdmi channels just stay black like they get no signal. I've tried everything; different cables, different resolutions (using my lcd monitor to change resolutions on my consoles)and different hdmi inputs. when i connect my consoles/receiver through component everything works fine.

The PS3 will not shift from Component to HDMI automatically, you need to tell it to make the change in both Video and Audio settings, I do mine with both outputs enabled to be sure it's ok, then disconnect the components after HDMI is up and running.

I have HD DVD and PS3 on HDMI, and the XB360 and Tivo S3 on component, I slightly prefer the 360 on component too since I can crank it back to 720p.

just an FYI.
Diane
post #554 of 5782 Old 03-23-2008, 08:58 AM

Two things I noticed regarding IR with the 42px80u:

1.) If I turned on the set and switched over to my HD-DVD player, the white-on-black-background HD-DVD logo remained for 15~20min even with a healthy dose of Food and Discover HD channels. But if the TV had been on for a while and I switched to HD-DVD, the logo would vanish in only a couple of minutes.

2.) Even after only 2 weeks, if I run a ~2hr movie the bars at the top and bottom now only remain for less than 30 seconds whereas they would hang around visible for ~3mins when I first got the set.

- Chris
post #555 of 5782 Old 03-23-2008, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusgrave View Post

My first TH-42PX80U apparently had a bad panel, it had IR issues that were incredibly bad.

I ALMOST got an LCD, but I got another TH-42PX80U instead... they said if you can break it in 30 days bring it back.

This one has no noticeable IR at all from menus, etc. The last one would ghost a menu for several minutes.

I won't be gaming on this thing until 100 hours of break in have been done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfe_CH View Post

Two things I noticed regarding IR with the 42px80u:

1.) If I turned on the set and switched over to my HD-DVD player, the white-on-black-background HD-DVD logo remained for 15~20min even with a healthy dose of Food and Discover HD channels. But if the TV had been on for a while and I switched to HD-DVD, the logo would vanish in only a couple of minutes.

2.) Even after only 2 weeks, if I run a ~2hr movie the bars at the top and bottom now only remain for less than 30 seconds whereas they would hang around visible for ~3mins when I first got the set.

- Chris

So what are you guys saying? I have nothing to worry about? I am also curious about how you are looking for IR. I find if the room is fairly bright, I cannot see it, but if it it is darker, I can.

As I said before, I am not worried about the IR going away. I am worried about watching 1000s of hours of 4:3 and channels with opaque bugs. That will effect the way the TV wears, no? I am not even convinced the gray bars do anything to prevent uneven wear since they are rarely the same brightness as the rest of the picture.
post #556 of 5782 Old 03-23-2008, 10:56 AM

most TV panels (LCD or Plasmas) are not great computer screens. If you do buy one to use it as a computer screen...i would buy a LCD (the 80U does not have a VGA port anyway.) However, if you break in your plasma and want to stream video or use it for computer games just set the resolution to any 16x9 rez (1280x720) the 80U will always scale the image so it will look its best. In this case (unlike lcds) its not best to set it to its native resolution. You can buy a DVI to HDMI adapter or cable to connect your computer to it btw.

Also, i got a 80u two days ago and its very very very nice. I have the settings turned all the way down but it still looks great. It scales very well...it keeps me guessing if something is SD or HD. It makes 480i look much better than one would think. The "Just" feature to fill your screen with sd picture almost does not distort the picture...people dont look fat...i think because it only does the streching on the sides not in the center. I will take some pictures when i get my camera back from my GF.
post #557 of 5782 Old 03-23-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashmonee View Post

So what are you guys saying? I have nothing to worry about? I am also curious about how you are looking for IR. I find if the room is fairly bright, I cannot see it, but if it it is darker, I can.

As I said before, I am not worried about the IR going away. I am worried about watching 1000s of hours of 4:3 and channels with opaque bugs. That will effect the way the TV wears, no? I am not even convinced the gray bars do anything to prevent uneven wear since they are rarely the same brightness as the rest of the picture.

All I can give is my very limited experience with a new TV (never owned a plasma before). I was heartened by the fact this TV seems to have improved how long the bars hang around after watching a 2.35:1 movie, but of course it's impossible to know how this truly affects the set long-term. I look for any anomalies in a dark room, and I do use the grey side bars. I have to believe that even if they don't exactly match what's being shown on a 4:3 image that it's still better than using pure black. The differential just isn't as great with the grey and, at least to some degree, it should promote more even aging.

- Chris
post #558 of 5782 Old 03-23-2008, 11:03 AM

I took heat reading from the 80U this morning...tv been on for 5 hours or so. Here is what I got.

Screen: 87 to 89
Back: most areas about 76..small hot spot on top back center: 98

my comcast cable box is about 103 to 113

BTW...a few days of use and signs of IR at all....i have been running the vertical bar deal for 5 to 10 mins a few times..just to help break in.
post #559 of 5782 Old 03-23-2008, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavywinds View Post

I took heat reading from the 80U this morning...tv been on for 5 hours or so. Here is what I got.

Screen: 87 to 89
Back: most areas about 76..small hot spot on top back center: 98

my comcast cable box is about 103 to 113

BTW...a few days of use and signs of IR at all....i have been running the vertical bar deal for 5 to 10 mins a few times..just to help break in.

Attached is a pictorial represetation of the 42px75u. The 80u is the same. I know because I've seen it. This is why you get a hot spot on the top back -- the PS is there.

Did you make these measurements for a reason or just out of curiosity?

Larry
LL
post #560 of 5782 Old 03-23-2008, 02:57 PM

"Digital Video Essentials: HD Basics Blu-ray" is being released this week. I have ordered one from Amazon and will let you know what settings I come up with.
post #561 of 5782 Old 03-23-2008, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

About the 4:3 programming..... why don't you just stretch the image? I realize you may think it wrecks the image quality slightly, but at least it will get rid of the black bars on thee side. another solution is to change the black bars to gray instead.

I have a 50" plasma, and I stretch the SD programming that I watch (there is very little of it that I acutally do watch) and it looks fine to me. a lot of it has to do with how far away you sit. If you sit relatively close, I could understand wanting to keep it in 4:3, but if you sit far enough away, stretching it shouldn't make the picture seem any softer to you (at least not very much).
post #562 of 5782 Old 03-23-2008, 03:45 PM

I rarely watch hd with 4:3, always have it in "full" mode, but if it does come up 4:3 and I want to watch it then "zoom" is a good option as is "just".
post #563 of 5782 Old 03-23-2008, 03:53 PM

The reason I do not stretch 4:3is because I can't stan the 'stretch o vision' look it gives. Everything looks ridiculous when it is stretched like that.

Also after trying out some things with lighting it is rather apparent that a gloss screen will not work in the I am moving in to in the fall.

Thanks for your help guys, but I gotta go LCD for my situation.
post #564 of 5782 Old 03-23-2008, 05:07 PM

Quote:

The reason I do not stretch 4:3is because I can't stan the 'stretch o vision' look it gives. Everything looks ridiculous when it is stretched like that.

Also after trying out some things with lighting it is rather apparent that a gloss screen will not work in the I am moving in to in the fall.

Thanks for your help guys, but I gotta go LCD for my situation.

I'm not sure why you watch so much 4:3 TV these days but if that is your situation why would you invest in technology you can't fully use yet? Buy a nice CRT they are cheap. I couldn't have a brighter room unless I was outside and this screen rocks imho. There are LCDs out there I considered but they were twice the cost to get anything close to this level of quality.
post #565 of 5782 Old 03-23-2008, 05:14 PM

I ot my 42px80u yesterday and have nothing but GREAT things to say so far. This is my first hdtv so I only have SD broadcasting right now. Planning to call Directv tomorrow for the upgrade to HD.

I've watched many different SD broadcasts over the 4 or so hours I have on the unit and not even a hint of IR. I've also played some Xbox 360 (NHL 2008) and it's nothing short of spectacular. Can't wait to see what HD looks like!
post #566 of 5782 Old 03-23-2008, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledzep77 View Post

I'm not sure why you watch so much 4:3 TV these days but if that is your situation why would you invest in technology you can't fully use yet? Buy a nice CRT they are cheap. I couldn't have a brighter room unless I was outside and this screen rocks imho. There are LCDs out there I considered but they were twice the cost to get anything close to this level of quality.

Well I am in an apartment and only have access to Comcast cable which nets me a total of roughly 15-20 HD channels with a few more at the end of the month. We do not have Food Network nor TLC in HD here yet (we will at the end of the month) and even when we do not all HD channels broadcast HD content. Many, such as 3 out of 4 local newscasts and ESPN/ESPN2 broadcast 4:3 content much of the time. So while I do enjoy a large amount of HDTV, I still have no choice but to watch 4:3 as I am sure most people do.

4:3 content notwithstanding, there is still the issue of sports/news tickers and network bugs. Plus I find the glare to be tolerable, but not as tolerable as LCD. The colors, mainly blacks, do tend to get washed out, erasing plasmas biggest advantage. Also, I will have a window directly opposite the TV in the new house which would make it unwatchable without fully covering the window with a thick shade during the day. Unfortunately, one of the things we love about the house is the amount of light that is let in so covering the window defeats the purpose.

I am not arguing the superior picture or performance of plasma. I just think you have to have the right environment and correct viewing habits for it. I don't fall into either of those categories. Believe me, I wish I did. If anyone has any suggestions for the opposite window, and can convince me that my worries of uneven wear are unfounded please do. I really do not want to give up this TV.

**EDIT** Just to clarify. I love this TV. Watching the Sharks/Ducks game the other night was nothing short of amazing. Colors are great and the blacks are awesome. I really want to keep this television. Hell I want to exchange it for the 50". I just want to know for sure that uneven wear will not be an issue for me and that I can find a way to deal with that window. I just don't think that is possible, especially with the Apple TV and 4:3 content.
post #567 of 5782 Old 03-23-2008, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

$1200, 18yrs, First HDTV Plasma is this 42px80u the best deal?
post #568 of 5782 Old 03-23-2008, 10:17 PM

does anyone else find it kinda strange the the 80u is retailing for about the same amount as the 75u? I know we aren't supposed to discuss prices on this forum, but it seems like newer technology usually means more $$? I know that this isn't true of all retailers, but look at the bigger stores like circuit city where the price difference hasn't been much more than $50 since I have been checking on this tv (about the past 3 weeks) and right now they are the same price....

I went ahead and ordered mine last night (80u) from CC bc they had an extra coupon available last night plus the lowest price i have seen yet, but I have to wait until tomorrow to pick it up. I am just wondering if I should have gone for the older 75u since it definitely has all of the good reviews whereas there seems to be mixed reviews for the 80u so far in this forum and there aren't too many good quality reviews that i have found at other sites...
post #569 of 5782 Old 03-24-2008, 03:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantbeyou View Post

does anyone else find it kinda strange the the 80u is retailing for about the same amount as the 75u? I know we aren't supposed to discuss prices on this forum, but it seems like newer technology usually means more $$? I know that this isn't true of all retailers, but look at the bigger stores like circuit city where the price difference hasn't been much more than $50 since I have been checking on this tv (about the past 3 weeks) and right now they are the same price....

I went ahead and ordered mine last night (80u) from CC bc they had an extra coupon available last night plus the lowest price i have seen yet, but I have to wait until tomorrow to pick it up. I am just wondering if I should have gone for the older 75u since it definitely has all of the good reviews whereas there seems to be mixed reviews for the 80u so far in this forum and there aren't too many good quality reviews that i have found at other sites...

Mixed reviews for the 80U? Where? The overall consensus here has been the 80U over the older model. Much better television and even more so when you consider the price. Love this set....could not be happier. If you were looking at the right places, you would have seen prices for the 75U at $999 shipped.

BTW...take a look at Amazon.com for the 42px80u. Their shipped price is hard to beat.

"You know Andy....I never thought our town would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger.

Barney Fife
post #570 of 5782 Old 03-24-2008, 05:26 AM

I got it for less than the price that you mentioned, but thanks for that anyways.

for the mixed reviews, cashmonee and someone else talked about having problems with IR, but the other person said it was just a bad panel and switched it out with another unit and then he was happy with it. I didn't take the time to read through all of the posts on here about the 75u, but looking at the reviews on amazon, circuit city, etc, the general public all loves the 75u while there aren't so many available for the 80u. i dunno, I am not so concerned about the picture quality, but more so the IR bc i will be playing games about 40-50% of the time and my gf loves to fall asleep flipping through channels.
there was also a guy on amazon talking about a problem with the tuner. it just seems like of the few reviews there are of the tv, a decent % are saying there is some kind of problem with the tv. I wonder if this has anything to do with why the price is about the same or even lower than the 75u??
i guess i am just anxious about getting this tv...
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Th 42px80u , Panasonic Viera Th 50px80u 50 Inch 720p Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Th 42pz85u 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Th 46pz80u 46 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Th 50pz800u 50 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Th 58pz850u 58 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page