Panasonic PX80 Owners Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 5798 Old 02-29-2008, 12:33 PM
Member
 
aidanpendragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can someone comment on how the "new anti-reflective filter" compares to the anti-glare screens on last year's 77U models/the "old" anti-reflective screens on '07's 700/750U models? Matte or glossy? Diffuse or shiny? Thanks.
aidanpendragon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 5798 Old 02-29-2008, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
moman19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 832
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know what might be the difference between the model TH50PX80U and the model TH50PX80UPK? I've seen it listed both ways but have yet to hear a definitive answer.
moman19 is offline  
post #63 of 5798 Old 02-29-2008, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
hi im drummer03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 777
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
AIDANPENDRAGON...The filter on the screen does hash out more light..Even fairly noticeable in a retail store...

joluar78,BBY employees do not get spiffs or bonuses, as well they do not have any quotas they have to meet...

PN58B860

TCP50GT50

hi im drummer03 is offline  
 
post #64 of 5798 Old 02-29-2008, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
merrymaid520's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Milwaukee WI
Posts: 1,512
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Wow these 80 series, especially the 42" are a heck of a bargain. At the moment, what site has the best deal with shipping going on? If you cannot post, please pm me.

Would love to get the 720p panny for my bedroom!

Thanks,
Brandon
merrymaid520 is offline  
post #65 of 5798 Old 02-29-2008, 02:41 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"
 
RandyWalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: El Segundo, Calif
Posts: 17,900
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by moman19 View Post

Does anyone know what might be the difference between the model TH50PX80U and the model TH50PX80UPK? I've seen it listed both ways but have yet to hear a definitive answer.

There is no such thing as a PX80UPK model. Some scammy bait-and-switch etailers add the PK to the end of a consumer model's model number and claim it adds some sort of "Pro Kit" but it's just a scam to get even more money out of you. This was discussed a few weeks ago so you must have stumbled onto the same websites as the other guys.

Who is the vendor with the "PK" model? Any vendor you see that uses this PK suffix on a consumer model is most likely part of the scummy group of etailers that go by the name of Pricemad dot com as well as many other names. They're all the same company, only with different storefronts.

Avoid these crackheads at all costs.

Randy
Sony 55W800B, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Roamio Pro, TWC Arris DCX3600-M 6-Tuner DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890, MX-780, MX-450, MX-500 Remotes.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
RandyWalters is offline  
post #66 of 5798 Old 02-29-2008, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member
 
moman19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 832
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Pricemad is definitely one of the offenders, but I've seen the PK suffix elsewhere. This is not pretty and is turning the pleasure of on-line shopping into a painful gauntlet. It's difficult to imagine that others would also choose to add the same nonsense suffix. But that seems to be what's happening.

I wonder if the "PK" designates gray market goods intended for another country. Gee, this stinks. I'm almost ready to just pay full list at the closest big box store and be done with it.
moman19 is offline  
post #67 of 5798 Old 02-29-2008, 03:53 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"
 
RandyWalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: El Segundo, Calif
Posts: 17,900
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by moman19 View Post

Pricemad is definitely one of the offenders, but I've seen the PK suffix elsewhere. This is not pretty and is turning the pleasure of on-line shopping into a painful gauntlet. It's difficult to imagine that others would also choose to add the same nonsense suffix. But that seems to be what's happening.

Well pretty much everybody who's tagging the "PK" suffix onto the end of a consumer model number is most likely part of the same group of etailers, and are probably all owned by one company anyway. Look at the various sites that have the "PK" model and you'll see similarities, like the same accessories and general website layout.

Quote:


I wonder if the "PK" designates gray market goods intended for another country. Gee, this stinks. I'm almost ready to just pay full list at the closest big box store and be done with it.

No the PK they add doesn't mean any sort of gray market plasma, they're just tacking on the PK suffix from the real Industrial models for whatever reason (P for Professional Series, and the K means black cabinet). It has no bearing on the consumer models though.

Since you're finding these scam sites it would seem that you're looking for the rock bottom lowest prices, so be advised that any place that has a price that sounds too good to be true probably is, and you should check the company's history on Resellerratings dot com, and also check the list of known fake or scammer websites there as well.

When the new models are released, there isn't much discounting going on and these scammers know it so they put up prices that are lower than anybody in order to suck you in. Be careful.

Randy
Sony 55W800B, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Roamio Pro, TWC Arris DCX3600-M 6-Tuner DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890, MX-780, MX-450, MX-500 Remotes.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
RandyWalters is offline  
post #68 of 5798 Old 02-29-2008, 05:04 PM
Member
 
Turlen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I just got back from my local best buy and found they had the TH-42PX80U up on display (oddly enough, they don't have any in stock, nor have any information when they would be getting some in).

Some things I noticed:

1) In torch mode, it is significantly brighter than other plasmas nearby (this includes the Kuro, Panasonic 77u, and some off-brand plasma. Not as bright as an LCD, but bright enough it didn't look awfully dingy in super bright store.
2) Normal mode, imo is about the same brightness as other plasmas torch mode.
3) I read from somebody saying this plasma looks butt ugly. It's no beauty queen, but looks nice enough.
4) The source material playing at Best Buy was bright outdoors / snow skiing, so I wasn't able to compare blacks. The blacks I did see look competitive, but not better than the Kuro.
Turlen is offline  
post #69 of 5798 Old 02-29-2008, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member
 
moman19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 832
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Do you see any real improvement or did they just turn up the brightness in torch mode to compete better against the LCDs? I wouldn't expect its blacks to surpass a Kuro. Hopefully it's a bit closer but probably not better.
moman19 is offline  
post #70 of 5798 Old 02-29-2008, 08:41 PM
Member
 
Turlen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by moman19 View Post

Do you see any real improvement or did they just turn up the brightness in torch mode to compete better against the LCDs? I wouldn't expect its blacks to surpass a Kuro. Hopefully it's a bit closer but probably not better.

Actually, I just got back from Best Buy and having them special order it. It should arrive Tuesday. I think its a smoking deal compared to other LCDs and Plasmas available. Not to mention Best Buy's 90 day price match (which ends saturday).

I checked the px80u settings in store, and default was vivid with 50 brightness (out of a 100). At 100 brightness, the blacks were washed out (no duh), but could compete with the phillips (and other) LCD(s) right next to it in terms of brightness.

It is tough to compare picture quality because the source material at best buy is split up so many times. I have 30 days to return it if I don't like it.
Turlen is offline  
post #71 of 5798 Old 02-29-2008, 09:36 PM
Senior Member
 
keyoctave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I spent some time tonight at BB where they had the 42PX80 right next to a Pioneer 4280 Kuro. I was there last week looking at the Kuro and had adjusted it so it would look normal (as in whites looking white, deep blacks, more accurate color temp, etc) and to my surprise, it was still set this way tonight. At first, the PX80 looked more washed out and way to bright. After putting the color temp on warm, turning down the contrast and brightness, cutting the color level a little, making sure all dynamic modes and NR were off, the picture was almost identical to the Kuro. The Kuro still had a slightly deeper black. In the setup menu on the PX80 there was a setting for black level which I could not access (it was in the menu but was greyed out). If I could access that adjustment and possibly set it to 'darker' from the 'lighter' setting that it was in, it might give the PX80 the extra black that the Kuro had. No one knew how to adjust the set and a manual could not be found, so I may be wrong about this.

What was interesting was during the time I was adjusting the sets, a few people came to inquire what I was doing (both sales and customers). When they saw how much better the sets were looking and how they compared to the LCD's that were around them they all stated that plasma was the better in picture quality. I even adjusted a LCD set next to the PX80 to see how black it could get (a Sharp model) and one could really see just how 'dark grey' LCD's blacks are compared to plasma's.

At $400 less than the Kuro, the 42PX80 is a bargan (even at list price) and will be my next purchase!

LG 55EG9100
Samsung 55HU8550 TH02/SEK-3500
Darbee DVP-5000S
Denon X3300W 5.2.2
Oppo BDP-103
Calman/i1display pro
keyoctave is offline  
post #72 of 5798 Old 02-29-2008, 09:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
videoaddikt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 2,981
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Careful, keyoctave!! You might be giving the masses the idea they don't have to accept how displays look in most showrooms!!!

Samsung PN51F8500, Emotiva MC-700, Outlaw Audio 5000, Xbox One S, Dali Ikon 6, Vokal 2, OnWall, Outlalw LMF-EX, Furman Elite pf15i.
videoaddikt is offline  
post #73 of 5798 Old 02-29-2008, 09:56 PM
Newbie
 
pfer10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Indy
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by moman19 View Post

Gee, this stinks. I'm almost ready to just pay full list at the closest big box store and be done with it.

Swing by the Post Office and get a Change of Address kit. 12% off all Panasonic TVs at BB good until May 31. I just used one to get the PX80U at BB Tuesday night. Just picked it and up set it up tonight.

I was pretty impressed with it right out of the box. In the store it was really close to the 4280 on stock settings but I could tell a difference. I am sure with some adjustments as mentioned above it could be better. I did watch Ghost Whisperer tonight and the blacks seemed really good of course Jennifer Love Hewitt might have biased my opinion some. I will play with some settings tomorrow as this is my first plasma. Anyone got some good settings yet?
pfer10 is offline  
post #74 of 5798 Old 03-01-2008, 03:20 AM
KMR
Senior Member
 
KMR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 448
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Is there any word on how this set handles 1080p24 signals?
KMR is offline  
post #75 of 5798 Old 03-01-2008, 04:34 AM
Senior Member
 
Sarcoptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 420
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
The first thing the tv asks you when you plug it in is whether its going to be in a store or home. Pretty similar to what keyoctave said...I turned to warm setting for color and moved most of the settings down into the middle 30's. By default everything is set at 50 and its way too bright. Simon Cowell had a nice glowing scheen to his forward...thus I started adjusting. As for the black level the manual says:

"Selects Dark or Light. Valid only for external input signals. (Dark/Light)"

Now that the weekend is here I finally get to do some playing. Finally whats this about the tv being ugly? I think it looks great. Its solid piano black finish...how much better can you get? I don't know of too many tvs that have a sweet all over print with a fur hood attached to them..
Sarcoptic is offline  
post #76 of 5798 Old 03-01-2008, 06:52 AM
Senior Member
 
audioexcels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 337
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengbeng View Post

Late at evening, lights dimmed or out in the living room, watching a movie, deep blacks are very nice. Thé X-Factor. It's imo much more important than bright LCD like whites (which is only handy if you have no light controlled environment during daytime).

Right, but there's more to a plasma than blacks. What if your plasma is too dim? What if it doesn't have a coloration you like? What if it doesn't have as see-through a look/convincing look as the one with the better blacks? I know black levels are very important, but one has to look at a set as a whole to determine if one can get the whole package in one (including the black levels) or if one finds there is much more to a different set in spite the black levels aren't quite as good as the one the person does not like. We're talking about plasmas here, no mentioning of lcd please
audioexcels is offline  
post #77 of 5798 Old 03-01-2008, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member
 
rcavictor1956's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio/Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
Posts: 873
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyoctave View Post

I spent some time tonight at BB where they had the 42PX80 right next to a Pioneer 4280 Kuro. I was there last week looking at the Kuro and had adjusted it so it would look normal (as in whites looking white, deep blacks, more accurate color temp, etc) and to my surprise, it was still set this way tonight. At first, the PX80 looked more washed out and way to bright. After putting the color temp on warm, turning down the contrast and brightness, cutting the color level a little, making sure all dynamic modes and NR were off, the picture was almost identical to the Kuro. The Kuro still had a slightly deeper black. In the setup menu on the PX80 there was a setting for black level which I could not access (it was in the menu but was greyed out). If I could access that adjustment and possibly set it to 'darker' from the 'lighter' setting that it was in, it might give the PX80 the extra black that the Kuro had. No one knew how to adjust the set and a manual could not be found, so I may be wrong about this.

What was interesting was during the time I was adjusting the sets, a few people came to inquire what I was doing (both sales and customers). When they saw how much better the sets were looking and how they compared to the LCD's that were around them they all stated that plasma was the better in picture quality. I even adjusted a LCD set next to the PX80 to see how black it could get (a Sharp model) and one could really see just how 'dark grey' LCD's blacks are compared to plasma's.

At $400 less than the Kuro, the 42PX80 is a bargan (even at list price) and will be my next purchase!

Sounds great...cannot wait to get my set. If this set can produce a picture I like...I may go ahead and pick up the 50px80u also.

"You know Andy....I never thought our town would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger.

Barney Fife
rcavictor1956 is offline  
post #78 of 5798 Old 03-01-2008, 07:09 AM
Senior Member
 
audioexcels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 337
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcoptic View Post

The first thing the tv asks you when you plug it in is whether its going to be in a store or home. Pretty similar to what keyoctave said...I turned to warm setting for color and moved most of the settings down into the middle 30's. By default everything is set at 50 and its way too bright. Simon Cowell had a nice glowing scheen to his forward...thus I started adjusting. As for the black level the manual says:

"Selects Dark or Light. Valid only for external input signals. (Dark/Light)"

Now that the weekend is here I finally get to do some playing. Finally whats this about the tv being ugly? I think it looks great. Its solid piano black finish...how much better can you get? I don't know of too many tvs that have a sweet all over print with a fur hood attached to them..


How does the video processor seem in the set? It's the primary thing aside from the black levels that I noticed as the difference between the Kuro and other plasmas. The Kuro's processing simply looked way more "authoritative" and "composed".

I'm curious about the one person saying the Kuro's black levels and set as a whole is better than the Panasonic, but you are saying that they look the same when adjusted correctly.

BTW, dark gives a MUCH darker look. It's night/day in terms of the overall look. I always had my 700U or other Panasonics on dark and would switch to light depending on the content. Dark essentially turns the set into a very deep contrast/black level performer, but can also take away some detail (at least on the 700U if not adjusted accordingly).

Definitely find a way to get it to dark mode...
audioexcels is offline  
post #79 of 5798 Old 03-01-2008, 07:14 AM
Senior Member
 
nervx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 304
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
anyone know if panasonic has EPP in canada?
nervx is offline  
post #80 of 5798 Old 03-01-2008, 07:51 AM
Senior Member
 
keyoctave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioexcels View Post

Right, but there's more to a plasma than blacks. What if your plasma is too dim? What if it doesn't have a coloration you like? What if it doesn't have as see-through a look/convincing look as the one with the better blacks? I know black levels are very important, but one has to look at a set as a whole to determine if one can get the whole package in one (including the black levels) or if one finds there is much more to a different set in spite the black levels aren't quite as good as the one the person does not like. We're talking about plasmas here, no mentioning of lcd please

A good point, audioexcels.

The other difference that I noticed between the PX80 and the Kuro (besides the black level) was that the Kuro had a slightly brighter white while keeping it's deep black. When I brought up the white level on the PX80 to match the Kuro, it lost a little of it's deep black. Of course, the calibration was by eye, in a brightly lit store (how many of us watch tv with mercury lights overhead!) and no test disc, so I would imangine that the results would be better with proper equipment and lighting. Professional calibration would bring out the best in this plasma.

LG 55EG9100
Samsung 55HU8550 TH02/SEK-3500
Darbee DVP-5000S
Denon X3300W 5.2.2
Oppo BDP-103
Calman/i1display pro
keyoctave is offline  
post #81 of 5798 Old 03-01-2008, 07:57 AM
Senior Member
 
keyoctave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by videoaddikt View Post

Careful, keyoctave!! You might be giving the masses the idea they don't have to accept how displays look in most showrooms!!!

What!?........and get people to realize that snow is not really blue in color?

LG 55EG9100
Samsung 55HU8550 TH02/SEK-3500
Darbee DVP-5000S
Denon X3300W 5.2.2
Oppo BDP-103
Calman/i1display pro
keyoctave is offline  
post #82 of 5798 Old 03-01-2008, 08:37 AM
Newbie
 
mburkhart13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidanpendragon View Post

Can someone comment on how the "new anti-reflective filter" compares to the anti-glare screens on last year's 77U models/the "old" anti-reflective screens on '07's 700/750U models? Matte or glossy? Diffuse or shiny? Thanks.

Any definitive answer to this? I'm torn between getting last years 77U (with an "anti-glare coating") or this years 850/800U (with the "new anti-glare filter"). Can anyone give a direct comparison between the glare on these two?
mburkhart13 is offline  
post #83 of 5798 Old 03-01-2008, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
thaxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Gainesville. Fla.
Posts: 1,001
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think Panasonic ditched last years matted light defusing screen because how much it effected perceived pop and contrast level. I would go with the anti-reflective screen like the current 50PX75U. I know I could tell a big difference.

Mike
thaxx is offline  
post #84 of 5798 Old 03-01-2008, 04:09 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"
 
RandyWalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: El Segundo, Calif
Posts: 17,900
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by mburkhart13 View Post

Any definitive answer to this? I'm torn between getting last years 77U (with an "anti-glare coating") or this years 850/800U (with the "new anti-glare filter"). Can anyone give a direct comparison between the glare on these two?

The new 2008 models have a new Anti-Reflective filter, not Anti-Glare filter. Big difference.

I briefly saw a PX80U today and my quick impression is that it's just about as reflective as my PZ700U and the other TVs on the wall (maybe a little less so), so it appears that the new Anti-Reflective Filter is slightly less reflective than the 2007 models, and nowhere near as non-reflective as the Anti-Glare filter used on the PZ77U. I could see the whole bank of storefront windows reflected in the screen, pretty much like all the other plasmas on the wall (with the exception of the PZ77U). That's fine with me since i do not like the AG screen on the PZ77U.

Randy
Sony 55W800B, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Roamio Pro, TWC Arris DCX3600-M 6-Tuner DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890, MX-780, MX-450, MX-500 Remotes.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
RandyWalters is offline  
post #85 of 5798 Old 03-01-2008, 04:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
rcavictor1956's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio/Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
Posts: 873
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

The new 2008 models have a new Anti-Reflective filter, not Anti-Glare filter. Big difference.

I briefly saw a PX80U today and my quick impression is that it's just about as reflective as my PZ700U and the other TVs on the wall (maybe a little less so), so it appears that the new Anti-Reflective Filter is slightly less reflective than the 2007 models, and nowhere near as non-reflective as the Anti-Glare filter used on the PZ77U. I could see the whole bank of storefront windows reflected in the screen, pretty much like all the other plasmas on the wall (with the exception of the PZ77U). That's fine with me since i do not like the AG screen on the PZ77U.

Thanks for the observation Randy. I do not like the matte look anyhow so that is good news for me. I should be receiving my 42px80u some time this month.

"You know Andy....I never thought our town would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger.

Barney Fife
rcavictor1956 is offline  
post #86 of 5798 Old 03-01-2008, 04:18 PM
KMR
Senior Member
 
KMR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 448
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMR View Post

Is there any word on how this set handles 1080p24 signals?

Anyone?
KMR is offline  
post #87 of 5798 Old 03-01-2008, 06:34 PM
Member
 
joluar78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi im drummer03 View Post

AIDANPENDRAGON...The filter on the screen does hash out more light..Even fairly noticeable in a retail store...

joluar78,BBY employees do not get spiffs or bonuses, as well they do not have any quotas they have to meet...

I couldn't believe they matched epp pricing. So my 1st thoughts were, it's the end of the month, maybe they have quota's to meet so that's why I got such a good deal.

My visit at BB was great. I usually don't buy from BB, but the rep who was helping me was great.

So far I'm loving my 42px80u, couldn't be happier
joluar78 is offline  
post #88 of 5798 Old 03-01-2008, 06:46 PM
Member
 
Matt71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I noticed on the Panasonic website that the PX80U's panel type is a "G11 Progressive 1080p HD Plasma Display Panel."

Is this a typo? Because the PX80's resolution is 720p.
Matt71 is offline  
post #89 of 5798 Old 03-01-2008, 07:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
6SpeedTA95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Tulsa area
Posts: 2,535
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt71 View Post

I noticed on the Panasonic website that the PX80U's panel type is a "G11 Progressive 1080p HD Plasma Display Panel."

Is this a typo? Because the PX80's resolution is 720p.

I noticed that last week, it's a typo
6SpeedTA95 is offline  
post #90 of 5798 Old 03-02-2008, 12:23 AM
Senior Member
 
slbosse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 246
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMR View Post

Is there any word on how this set handles 1080p24 signals?


IIRC 1080p24 signals are displayed at 60Hz using 2:3 pulldown. It appears that only the PZ800 and PZ850 lines will have the 48Hz 2:2 "24p Cinematic Playback" feature, although this won't be confirmed until those owner's manuals are released. The manuals for the PX80, PZ80, and PZ85 models are available on Panasonic's website.
slbosse is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Th 42px80u , Panasonic Viera Th 50px80u 50 Inch 720p Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Th 42pz85u 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Th 46pz80u 46 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Th 50pz800u 50 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Th 58pz850u 58 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off