Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 12675 Old 03-18-2008, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footbaggin View Post

Like the Kuros it introduces a small amount of noise into the color transitions. It's basically introducing many tiny dots of slightly lighter or darker colors (like a stipple-effect) to gradually lighten or darken the banded sections and smooth the transitions through colors it can't create natively.

The word you're looking for is "dithering". Not really a desirable feature in an of itself, but you're right, it will look better than false contouring. It becomes more subtle at higher resolutions generally, it might benefit from the 1080p panel if you're comparing it against another 720p set, though the algorithms are not necessarily the same.

My PZ85 should be here in the next couple of hours, I'll try and add to the pictures in the thread when I get a chance.

Edit: LOL, it's the cigarette to make the bus come effect, no sooner had I hit post then the truck pulled up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 12675 Old 03-18-2008, 10:22 AM

I'm pleased to announce that I joined the PZ80/PZ85 Owners club this morning with the arrival of a new TH-50PZ85U weighing in at 88.2 lbs and measuring 50 inches (along the diagonal).

Ordered Friday, shipped yesterday, and delivered today all in one piece, so no complaints there. I'll have to wait until tonight to get it set up, so it has yet to "open its eyes"
post #273 of 12675 Old 03-18-2008, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footbaggin View Post

My set does not flicker at all on a full white screen. I could see video noise from the Break-in disc, but not exactly flicker.

Can you share the configuration of your break-in period? I just got the TH-42PZ85U and I want to make sure I break it in correctly. I'm coming from the Samsung Pedestal DLP, so I've never experienced a plasma tv before.

Thanks in advance.
post #274 of 12675 Old 03-18-2008, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_maf View Post

I'm pleased to announce that I joined the PZ80/PZ85 Owners club this morning with the arrival of a new TH-50PZ85U weighing in at 88.2 lbs and measuring 50 inches (along the diagonal).

Ordered Friday, shipped yesterday, and delivered today all in one piece, so no complaints there. I'll have to wait until tonight to get it set up, so it has yet to "open its eyes"

Congrats and I hope you enjoy it!

Chris
post #275 of 12675 Old 03-18-2008, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm16 View Post

Can you share the configuration of your break-in period? I just got the TH-42PZ85U and I want to make sure I break it in correctly. I'm coming from the Samsung Pedestal DLP, so I've never experienced a plasma tv before.

Thanks in advance.

I got the TV on saturday, here is what I found on Panasonic's site for recommended break-ins, tho it appears to be for older models, not sure if anything has changed for the newer models. I know I spent yesterday breaking it in by playing COD 4 and Halo 3 all day with no IR at all. I have the TV (cable) on with picture and brightness turned down but when I play games, I switch it over to standard for right now. I'll bump things up after the 100 hours, but man, this TV if beautiful for anyone who is thinking about getting it.

Recommended break-in---

4. What is the "break-in" period and what should I do during the break-in period to minimize any risk of image retention?
When your plasma TV is initially installed, the first 100 hours of use is known as the "break-in period." During this time, to minimize any risk of image retention, you should:

Make sure the plasma TV is in a viewing mode (aspect ratio) that completely fills the screen. The panel is shipped in this condition, in what is called the "Just" mode.
Turn down the Picture setting (in the Picture menu) to +0.
Briefly engage the 4:3 mode and confirm the side bars are set to "Mid", or "Bright". This can be adjusted in the Set Up menu.
Always return the display mode that fills the screen (such as Just, Zoom, Full, or H-FILL).
Try not to view channels with stationary backgrounds or logos for extended periods of time.
Avoid extended display of static images (video games, computer images, DVD title screens, etc.).
post #276 of 12675 Old 03-18-2008, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurich View Post

My PZ85 should be here in the next couple of hours, I'll try and add to the pictures in the thread when I get a chance.

That would be great to hear your thoughts. I'd like to hear about your thoughts on the black levels. I noticed some pictures in the first part of the thread of a 46PZ85U and the blacks looked pretty nice in the pictures but footbaggin's 50PZ85U is showing more grey in the blacks (I think I worded that right ) so your thoughts would be appreciated. That's really the only thing holding me back right now.

Jim
post #277 of 12675 Old 03-18-2008, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_maf View Post

Congrats on the new arival, that is great it came in one piece, I will light up a cigar to celebrate.
post #278 of 12675 Old 03-18-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne_Scout View Post

I got the TV on saturday, here is what I found on Panasonic's site for recommended break-ins, tho it appears to be for older models, not sure if anything has changed for the newer models. I know I spent yesterday breaking it in by playing COD 4 and Halo 3 all day with no IR at all. I have the TV (cable) on with picture and brightness turned down but when I play games, I switch it over to standard for right now. I'll bump things up after the 100 hours, but man, this TV if beautiful for anyone who is thinking about getting it.

Recommended break-in---

4. What is the "break-in" period and what should I do during the break-in period to minimize any risk of image retention?
When your plasma TV is initially installed, the first 100 hours of use is known as the "break-in period." During this time, to minimize any risk of image retention, you should:

Make sure the plasma TV is in a viewing mode (aspect ratio) that completely fills the screen. The panel is shipped in this condition, in what is called the "Just" mode.
Briefly engage the 4:3 mode and confirm the side bars are set to "Mid", or "Bright". This can be adjusted in the Set Up menu.
Always return the display mode that fills the screen (such as Just, Zoom, Full, or H-FILL).
Try not to view channels with stationary backgrounds or logos for extended periods of time.
Avoid extended display of static images (video games, computer images, DVD title screens, etc.).

Thanks a lot bud. I heard the picture, brightness and sharpness were to be turned down all the way, but then I really can't see much. I'll try what you posted. You're right the TV is beautiful. Can't wait to enjoy it at full blast afte the first 100 hrs.

Thanks again!
post #279 of 12675 Old 03-18-2008, 11:02 AM

I ordered a 50PZ85U at Best Buy earlier today, scheduled for delivery on Thursday. I'll be posting pics and am happy to take requests.
post #280 of 12675 Old 03-18-2008, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne_Scout View Post

Recommended break-in---

Isn't setting contrast and brightness to 0 excessive? Even at +50 it seems a little dark for me...
post #281 of 12675 Old 03-18-2008, 11:23 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by iatacs19 View Post

Isn't setting contrast and brightness to 0 excessive? Even at +50 it seems a little dark for me...

I thought I read that on the older models, 0 was the middle point, but on the newer ones +50 is. Could someone confirm or revise that statement for us?
post #282 of 12675 Old 03-18-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:

Yeah I would say it is, it is quite dark set at 0, but I'm just doing other stuff around the house while the TV is on at those settings. That's why I was pretty sure that was a recommendation for older sets and why I was playing games on the "standard" setting, which has them all at 50.
post #283 of 12675 Old 03-18-2008, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

I have 1 dead sub-pixel, works on reds, dead on blues.

Will test throughly later on with Laptop and dead-pixel buddy.

One thing I want to mention is the worries about glare, I can't really see much glare when the TV is on. During normal viewing it's not an issue.
post #284 of 12675 Old 03-18-2008, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

just checked the bestbuy site they have now posted the 42PZ80.
post #285 of 12675 Old 03-18-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:

I have 1 dead sub-pixel, works on reds, dead on blues.

Will test throughly later on with Laptop and dead-pixel buddy.

One thing I want to mention is the worries about glare, I can't really see much glare when the TV is on. During normal viewing it's not an issue.

SOrry, I'm new to owning a plasma, but how do you know you have a dead pixel?
post #286 of 12675 Old 03-18-2008, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

SOrry, I'm new to owning a plasma, but how do you know you have a dead pixel?

Get something that can display solid colors (red, green, blue, black and white) covering 100% of the screen. Then check each color to see if any 1 pixel is a different color.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_pixel

utility to check for dead pixels:
http://www.laptopshowcase.co.uk/downloads.php?id=1
post #287 of 12675 Old 03-18-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:

Get something that can display solid colors (red, green, blue, black and white) covering 100% of the screen. Then check each color to see if any 1 pixel is a different color.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_pixel

utility to check for dead pixels:
http://www.laptopshowcase.co.uk/downloads.php?id=1

Cool...I'm going to try it.
post #288 of 12675 Old 03-18-2008, 01:15 PM

If you're sensitive to green fringing beware, I'm seeing plenty of it on my PZ85. I see DLP rainbows too though, so I'm just cursed with hard to please eyes I guess.
post #289 of 12675 Old 03-18-2008, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you're sensitive to green fringing beware, I'm seeing plenty of it on my PZ85. I see DLP rainbows too though, so I'm just cursed with hard to please eyes I guess.

Sometimes it is a bad thing to have good eyes. I have the same problem.
post #290 of 12675 Old 03-18-2008, 01:23 PM

Does anyone have the codes for pz85 42 inch
post #291 of 12675 Old 03-18-2008, 01:41 PM

Quote:

Is there any reason at all to think this will be less of a problem with the PZ800? I have seen green fringing and it may be a deal breaker for me if it is bad.
post #292 of 12675 Old 03-18-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:

Frack. That is exactly what I didn't want to hear - I am also sensitive to that particular artifact of plasma displays, and I have seen at least two posts so far that have said the green fringe is still there on the new Panasonics...

I could live with it though if the false-contouring is improved considerably over last year though...
post #293 of 12675 Old 03-18-2008, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkidu77 View Post

Is there any reason at all to think this will be less of a problem with the PZ800? I have seen green fringing and it may be a deal breaker for me if it is bad.

We will have to wait and see when the 800's hits the streets.
post #294 of 12675 Old 03-18-2008, 01:59 PM

I'm getting interested in the 50PZ 85. I was initially going to get the 800, but I doubt I'll see the diff in PQ.
If I run just a HDMI cable from my Samsung Time Warner STB, will I have sound as well as picture? Is it Digital sound? How come the specs for the 50PZ85 on Panny's website show analogue audio inputs for the HDMI?

Got Tubes?
post #295 of 12675 Old 03-18-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by am777 View Post

check this from a few pages back....

I think Cleveland Plasma is right, they are probably doing this to protect dealers since it seems (at least on this board) everyone and their uncle has access to that EPP! heck, i'd love to get access.

I think some of the dealers got a little pissed and so panny is "adding" delay now to EPP shipments to level the field a bit, push more folk to buy from dealers for the time being....just my 2 c

I ordered my 50pz85u via Panasonic's EPP on the evening of 3/13, and just got a message from the shipping company ready to deliver on 3/25 (had to push it to 3/26 however ).

I just punched up the order info on the freight company's website (FSP) and the origin is Panasonic San Diego.

Unfortunately, only my wife will be home to accept delivery that day so I hope it arrives fine.

So I think the logic of purposely delaying shipments is completely off base here since San Francisco bay area has none in stock in any of the major electronic shops. I would have bought one using my 12% bb coupon if they did and brought the baby home myself.
post #296 of 12675 Old 03-18-2008, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claud View Post

I'm getting interested in the 50PZ 85. I was initially going to get the 800, but I doubt I'll see the diff in PQ.
If I run just a HDMI cable from my Samsung Time Warner STB, will I have sound as well as picture? Is it Digital sound? How come the specs for the 50PZ85 on Panny's website show analogue audio inputs for the HDMI?

I am running SA 8300HD with my 50PZ85U over HDMI and I get digital audio without any problems.

Running JScreenFix right now to see if I can revive the poor dead sub-pixel.
post #297 of 12675 Old 03-18-2008, 02:17 PM

hey guys, anyone having these new pz 85's- can tell me if OTA stations through the unit, will show programing menu's for the stations as do stb's Thanks

"If you want total security,go to prison,there your fed,clothed,given medical care and so on The only thing lacking,,,,,,,,is FREEDOM " Dwight D.Eisenhower
post #298 of 12675 Old 03-18-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:

Thanks a lot bud. I heard the picture, brightness and sharpness were to be turned down all the way, but then I really can't see much. I'll try what you posted. You're right the TV is beautiful. Can't wait to enjoy it at full blast afte the first 100 hrs.

Thanks again!

Hi, I just got the 50PZ85 two days ago. Do people really do this break in business? I don't recall seeing it in the manual.

Secondly, should I feel guilty about playing PS3 on it right off the bat, before the 100 hours are up (seems like a long time).
post #299 of 12675 Old 03-18-2008, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew.avs View Post

Hi, I just got the 50PZ85 two days ago. Do people really do this break in business? I don't recall seeing it in the manual.

Secondly, should I feel guilty about playing PS3 on it right off the bat, before the 100 hours are up (seems like a long time).

No, it's ok, just make sure you don't have any static images on there for a prolonged period.
post #300 of 12675 Old 03-18-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:

No, it's ok, just make sure you don't have any static images on there for a prolonged period.

But what's this business about the break in period? Does this apply to the PZ85 or only to older models?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page