post #361 of 12676 Old 03-19-2008, 01:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanC View Post

I hardly think it's fair to say the picture's noisy when you haven't even calibrated the set. I'm sure everything will clean up nicely once more settings get posted.

Plasmas have an inherently noisy image, calibrated or not. It's just how the technology works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 12676 Old 03-19-2008, 02:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footbaggin View Post

That's the opposite of what I said actually. Green fringe-city!

ok, but then they all have it dont they? if so, it probably shouldnt be addressed like a variable........
post #363 of 12676 Old 03-19-2008, 03:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I have enjoyed reading the posts about the new Panny HD TV's as I have held off pulling the trigger on getting a Sony LCD or a New Panny Plasma until I get to see the 85 series in person

My Question is someone posted that the Whites are still not as White or Bright as an LCD HD TV.

So whats the deciding factor that you guys/women have decided to go for Panny Plasma over LCD HD TV.

Everything I read on line and even when I talk to many of the salesmen at Circuit or Best tell me that for my basement viewing (sports/TV/Movies) that Plasma is the way go to. But when I look at Sets at these Store the LCD picture seems to stand out more (maybe brighter) then the Plasma. I dont' know if these places try to sell more LCD then Plasma and maybe they have the LCD Picture set up to look better then Plasma. When it comes to picture quality.

I know the talk on this Thread is suppost to be able your new 80/85 Panny's (and your posts have got me excited about seeing one in person) but still trying to figure out what makes them better then LCD..

Only thing I am looking at is getting the best picture quality that I can. And they say Plasma gives you that.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me..and Most of all I WANT TO THANK the people who have purchases the New 80/85 sets and give their input good and bad about the newest plasma sets on the market
post #364 of 12676 Old 03-19-2008, 04:17 AM
Advanced Member

In most home environments, you don't even need a third of an LCD's brightness to have whites that look white. In a darkened room a properly calibrated display will be around 100cd/m2, which is 1/5th-1/6th of an LCD's maximum light output.

So yes, LCDs are brighter, and they do cope better in very bright environments (eg a shop environment) but in most homes, that additional brightness is of no use.

"Best" is a subjective term. For some people's needs, and LCD actually is the best kind of display, but for most people, a Plasma will be best.
post #365 of 12676 Old 03-19-2008, 04:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by iatacs19 View Post

High Contrast:

Thanks iatacs19 for posting the pictures, and all the other that do too.

Of course seeing the TV in person is the "real" test.
post #366 of 12676 Old 03-19-2008, 04:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagolu View Post

Hate to hear it. I'm on my third 50pe700u with bad/stuck pixels. I was hoping it was just a problem with that model. I will be returning it for newer model. Hopfully no stuck/dead pixels.

To be honest, it doesn't bother me. I can't even see it from my sitting distance. Unless you are getting an ISO 13406-2 / CLASS-I panel there are bound to be a few dead-pixels more than likely.

ISO 13406-2

Quote:

Iatac's pics look much blacker than my set. Those pix look bezel black and my set is nowhere near that dark. Just something for everyone to keep in mind.

Yes, the blacks are not bezel dark, I think it's just my point and shoot digital camera's shortcoming.
I did post the image with and without flash to compare.

Check Picture #73 and #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewfee View Post

Plasmas have an inherently noisy image, calibrated or not. It's just how the technology works.

Yes, the noise looks similar to film grain except it's on the PC desktop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonPerson View Post

Thanks iatacs19 for posting the pictures, and all the other that do too.

Of course seeing the TV in person is the "real" test.

I am happy to post pics, since that's what I always want to see until I get to see the set in person.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #367 of 12676 Old 03-19-2008, 06:35 AM

My Z85 just arrived and my wife doesn't like it on the TV stand and wants it mounted on the wall.

What's a recommended wall mount and where's the cheapest place to buy it from?
post #368 of 12676 Old 03-19-2008, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewfee View Post

In most home environments, you don't even need a third of an LCD's brightness to have whites that look white. In a darkened room a properly calibrated display will be around 100cd/m2, which is 1/5th-1/6th of an LCD's maximum light output.

So yes, LCDs are brighter, and they do cope better in very bright environments (eg a shop environment) but in most homes, that additional brightness is of no use.

"Best" is a subjective term. For some people's needs, and LCD actually is the best kind of display, but for most people, a Plasma will be best.

for your input on why plasma better then LCD for my basement situation. Still can't wait to see the 80/85 in person
post #369 of 12676 Old 03-19-2008, 07:01 AM

Liked: 12
I have been using Cartoon Network on zoom to break in my 85 series Panasonic. (Its likely unnecessary, I know.) I have noticed that the panel seems to be brighter after the first 100 hours or so than when I first turned it on. Am I hallucinating? I expected the set to get slightly dimmer after the break-in since that's the natural tendency with aging of the phosphors.
post #370 of 12676 Old 03-19-2008, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisy123_madison View Post

I have been using Cartoon Network on zoom to break in my 85 series Panasonic. (Its likely unnecessary, I know.) I have noticed that the panel seems to be brighter after the first 100 hours or so than when I first turned it on. Am I hallucinating? I expected the set to get slightly dimmer after the break-in since that's the natural tendency with aging of the phosphors.

What are your break-in settings? Are you just using the out-of-the-box settings? Do you have the brightness on 0?

Also, whats the difference between zoom and full?
post #371 of 12676 Old 03-19-2008, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemarjo View Post

What are your break-in settings? Are you just using the out-of-the-box settings? Do you have the brightness on 0?

Also, whats the difference between zoom and full?

I have used out of the box settings with brightness and picture reduced to 50% (Cinema Mode) for the first 100 hours and the full out of the box settings for the next 100 hours.

I believe ZOOM creates a full screen image by magnifying the picture. FULL probably uses magnification and interpolation (i.e. a more sophisticated projection-mapping algorithm). The reason I use zoom is that the CN logo can be panned out of the viewing area using the zoom adjust feature.
post #372 of 12676 Old 03-19-2008, 07:54 AM
S90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErieMarty View Post

My Question is someone posted that the Whites are still not as White or Bright as an LCD HD TV.

So whats the deciding factor that you guys/women have decided to go for Panny Plasma over LCD HD TV.

In my humble opinion plasmas produce a "true-to-life" picture while LCD's produce a "bigger-than-life" picture. Many shoppers fall for LCD's technicolor bright whites. But it's not a true-to-life image. For example, on LCD's a sheet of paper "glows" or a white shirt "shines". Look on your desk, does the paper glow? Everything is brighter on the LCD, skin tones, grass, and other elements that are actually dull.

It's difficult to produce a true-to-life image and plasmas do it far better than LCD's. In my view, tha more time you spend in front of a plasma the more you appreciate the picture.
post #373 of 12676 Old 03-19-2008, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

I do hear a faint buzz from the rear of the TV on the left side, I can only hear it when I am really close to the back of the TV. Doesn't bother me during normal viewing or sitting distance.

Just hope it stays that way and doesn't get louder.

(I have TH-50PZ85U)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #374 of 12676 Old 03-19-2008, 08:57 AM

Quote:

I do hear a faint buzz from the rear of the TV on the left side, I can only hear it when I am really close to the back of the TV. Doesn't bother me during normal viewing or sitting distance.

Just hope it stays that way and doesn't get louder.

(I have TH-50PZ85U)

My set has the same faint buzz when displaying certain colors. Not on a fully white screen strangely enough. But I litterally have to climb behind the set to hear it. And the five fans are completely silent.

Yeah, well... you know, that's just like uhhh... your opinion man.
post #375 of 12676 Old 03-19-2008, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spincut View Post

ok, but then they all have it dont they? if so, it probably shouldnt be addressed like a variable........

All plasmas have phosphor lag to some degree. But the green fringe on the pannys is especially prominent. I'm extremely sensitive to it apparently, and some (my wife) are not.

post #376 of 12676 Old 03-19-2008, 09:19 AM

Quote:

My set has the same faint buzz when displaying certain colors. Not on a fully white screen strangely enough. But I litterally have to climb behind the set to hear it. And the five fans are completely silent.

+1
post #377 of 12676 Old 03-19-2008, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim0246 View Post

When you say all day, how long roughly in hours did you play? Thanks for the info!

I had the day off and I spent a good 10 hours on it...COD 4, Halo 3, Rock Band, GRAW 2 and PGR 4...putting the TV thru it's paces and fast moving games and I love it.

For those asking about the whites, if you have the set on "game" or "vivid" mode you'll have more than enough whites. At a BB there was a Panny next to a Kuros with a skiing clip and you could tell the Panny's whites matched the Sony LCD's, while the Kuros snow looked gray. IMO it has the blacks of a good plasma and (if you want them) the vivid colors of a quality LCD.
post #378 of 12676 Old 03-19-2008, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne_Scout View Post

I had the day off and I spent a good 10 hours on it...COD 4, Halo 3, Rock Band, GRAW 2 and PGR 4...putting the TV thru it's paces and fast moving games and I love it.

For those asking about the whites, if you have the set on "game" or "vivid" mode you'll have more than enough whites. At a BB there was a Panny next to a Kuros with a skiing clip and you could tell the Panny's whites matched the Sony LCD's, while the Kuros snow looked gray. IMO it has the blacks of a good plasma and (if you want them) the vivid colors of a quality LCD.

Did the green fringing bother you on COD4? That's where it really urks me.

I agree fully that the whites are on par with LCD. As I stated in my review, this is an unusually BRIGHT plasma.

post #379 of 12676 Old 03-19-2008, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

I mean going out of business in terms of making plasmas. They're toast on that front.

I know this a Panasonic thread. I'm a Panasonic plasma owner. Panasonic is the last of the great Plasma empires. I'm kind of interested in the new 58 inch set, as long as it has great blacks and true whites. No dirty whites and crushed blacks like the Kuro.

Pioneer will be around for a long time coming. They will sell more now that the MSRP will be lowered on the new models, and they are going into the LCD business as well. It will be a battle to the end between Panasonic and Pioneer.
post #380 of 12676 Old 03-19-2008, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Greetings

this is the Panasonic PZ80/PZ85 Owners Thread

Please limit your posts to the thread title

Thanks
post #381 of 12676 Old 03-19-2008, 09:47 AM

I didn't notice any green-fringing in playing COD 4 (a lot of it). To be fair, I wasn't looking for it, or it isn't a big problem for me...I also had a 2 yr old Samsung DLP and never noticed any rainbow effect though.

I DID see the green fringing on the beginning of GOW when you leave the prison after seeing a clip about this effect. It wasn't anywhere near as bad as in the Youtube clip I seen, but it was there. However, you have to be moving the view back-and-forth really quickly while looking at the columns for this to happen, and really, how many people play games like that?
post #382 of 12676 Old 03-19-2008, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisy123_madison View Post

+1

Ok, glad that it's not something unique to my set.

I have mine hooked up to a APC UPS unit, would getting a nice Furman line conditioner eliminate the buzz?

post #383 of 12676 Old 03-19-2008, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason67 View Post

its funny cause a lot of people would disagree with you. The fact that plasmas dont have matt surfaces (and have glossy glass surfaces) is far from "realistic". Not to mention you must be watching LCD's in vivid or torch mode.

Why would matte screens be more realistic to you? Do you often walk around with a grainy, shimmering film in front of your eyes? Might want to have that looked in to. And every decent LCD on the market has a screen at least as glossy as a typical plasma's, so your point is moot.
post #384 of 12676 Old 03-19-2008, 09:52 AM

Quote:

Ok, glad that it's not something unique to my set.

I have mine hooked up to a APC UPS unit, would getting a nice Furman line conditioner eliminate the buzz?

Why are you worried about it? Do you plan on watching a lot of TV while sitting 1' from the back of the set? If you can't hear it from your seating position, then i'm not sure what the issue is.
post #385 of 12676 Old 03-19-2008, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedevil070 View Post

I have a serious Xbox 360 problem for some reason the pz85 won't show my 360 picture or sound on the compoents at all

Someone help me out

I have a very stupid question for you...

Is the switch on the video cable set to "HDTV?" Just had to check to be sure.
post #386 of 12676 Old 03-19-2008, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Why are you worried about it? Do you plan on watching a lot of TV while sitting 1' from the back of the set? If you can't hear it from your seating position, then i'm not sure what the issue is.

Well put, took the words right out of my mouth.
post #387 of 12676 Old 03-19-2008, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemarjo View Post

My Z85 just arrived and my wife doesn't like it on the TV stand and wants it mounted on the wall.

What's a recommended wall mount and where's the cheapest place to buy it from?

Go to BestPriceMounts.com and look at the Peerless ST650. That's if you have one that is 50" or smaller though. If not, look for another one for the size TV that you have.
post #388 of 12676 Old 03-19-2008, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

post #389 of 12676 Old 03-19-2008, 11:01 AM

I had a 42px80u and returned it for the 42pz85u and so far I am happy that I did. I called Panasonic to ask about the break in period for a 2008 model and they said that you do need to break it in for the first 100 hours but you can just use the Standard mode, you do not need to turn everything down to make it extra dark. After the 100 hours you can set it how you want.

I also mentioned that if you set two modes the same, like making Standard the same as Cinema, they do not look the same. He knew what I was talking about and said the set has internal settings that we cannot control that make the modes different. He couldn't give me any further details but did confirm that the modes are engineered differently.

I agree the fans are silent, and I have to put my head next to the TV to hear any buzz.
post #390 of 12676 Old 03-19-2008, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

Greetings

this is the Panasonic PZ80/PZ85 Owners Thread

Please limit your posts to the thread title

Thanks