Old 03-21-2008, 09:24 AM
itp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by iatacs19 View Post

I am trying to figure out something with the 1:1 pixel mapping.

I am using my 50PZ85U with a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD box, Pioneer DV-400 DVD player and hp laptop dv2700T with HDMI port.

When I set the HD to Size 2 with the DVD player or 8300HD, the image has a fex pixels of black on the top and right side. I'd say about 5-6 pixel height of black for top and 2-3 black pixels wide for the side. But, when I use Size 2 with my laptop with output to 1920x1080 it displays the pixels correctly 1:1.

So, is the material broadcast from my cable company just not formatted correctly? How about the DVDs?

I'd like to use Size 2 since it's true 1:1 instead of Size 1 which zooms at 95%.

I appreciate any feedback.

Overscan should help explain the situation. When you're on Size 2 and see garbage around the edges of the screen (most commonly at the top), switch to Size 1, that's why it exists. When you need 1:1 mapping etc., Size 2 is your go to option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2008, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
85U owners....could someone PM me with the best price they've found from an authorized online dealer?
Old 03-21-2008, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marka971 View Post

In Sweden we will probably have to pay more than $3300 for the 46PZ85... It's unfair.... And we still have to wait at least three more weeks for it to show up in the shops here...

Here in Hong Kong don't have the new model out yet in stores. Even the pz80u is not out yet!! I can't wait to get the PZ800 series!!
Old 03-21-2008, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Thank you to those who so quickly e-mailed me.
I ordered from the big river and will be in the 50PZ85U club
Old 03-21-2008, 09:57 AM

Hey Guys
I'm about to pull the trigger on the PZ85. I am just trying to get an idea of whether the 46" or the 50" is the best option for me. The TV will be in the living room. I have a small apartment (1060 sq ft), sitting distance will be around 6-7ft.
Me and my GF decided 42 is probably a bit too small so we're in between the 46 and the 50. I was told that maybe 50 was overkill for a small place, so i wonder for those of you who have gotten them what you think the best size is for that sitting distance. I have a friend who has a 50 inch setup in his place however his viewing distance is around 10-13 feet..that's where the "overkill" comment came from.
The TV will be used, at first at least, for mostly regular TV watching (HD and non HD) and DVD's (no blueray yet, nor gaming systems).
Thanks!
Old 03-21-2008, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Just my opinion/experience.
A 50" display @ 8' could be bigger, so at 6-7' would be perfect for me.
I personally don't think that a 46" would offer much reprieve from a 50" if it was too big, but if you get the 46" you may always wonder how much better that 4" would have been.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbateman View Post

Hey Guys
I'm about to pull the trigger on the PZ85. I am just trying to get an idea of whether the 46" or the 50" is the best option for me. The TV will be in the living room. I have a small apartment (1060 sq ft), sitting distance will be around 6-7ft.
Me and my GF decided 42 is probably a bit too small so we're in between the 46 and the 50. I was told that maybe 50 was overkill for a small place, so i wonder for those of you who have gotten them what you think the best size is for that sitting distance. I have a friend who has a 50 inch setup in his place however his viewing distance is around 10-13 feet..that's where the "overkill" comment came from.
The TV will be used, at first at least, for mostly regular TV watching (HD and non HD) and DVD's (no blueray yet, nor gaming systems).
Thanks!

Agreed. My watching distance is btw 7-8 feet and I have the 50.

Dont really have any issues with it. Similar apartment size.

I will note that it was shockingly large when first set up, but all smiles quickly afterward.

Definitely has more of a theater feel to it, which is nice.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:20 AM

Quote:

Hey Guys
Thanks!

Pretty much same situation except I have a 750 sq ft apartment. With a 7-8' viewing distance I went with the 50" and am glad I didn't go any smaller.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

I have Eliab coming to calibrate it too
Old 03-21-2008, 10:29 AM

So does the new 85u floats black ????
Old 03-21-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:

Hey Guys
Thanks!

given the choice between identical tvs and just different sizes... buy the biggest one that you feel comfortable paying for. no such thing as too big.

"The further I get from the things that I care about, the less I care about how much further away I get."
Old 03-21-2008, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey Guys
Thanks!

Go big or go home, with a smaller unit.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by itp View Post

Overscan should help explain the situation. When you're on Size 2 and see garbage around the edges of the screen (most commonly at the top), switch to Size 1, that's why it exists. When you need 1:1 mapping etc., Size 2 is your go to option.

Good background info, I think Size 1 still zooms too much though, it would be nice if it zoomed to like 98% or something so I don't actually lose part of the picture. It seems that I lose more picture zooming in while trying to gain a few pixels to get 100% area screen coverage...
Old 03-21-2008, 11:01 AM

Should be getting mine within the next 6 hours. Can't wait to open up that bad boy and plug it in....
Old 03-21-2008, 11:32 AM

Thanks for the advice!...guess I'll be shooting for the 50"
Old 03-21-2008, 11:42 AM

Liked: 14
Just saw this set yesterday (pz85u) at abt. damn it, I was gonna pick up the new samsung lcd 650. But now I am torn. While the Panny doesn't have the "LCD" POP It did have a great picture, and price is so much better. This would be my first Plasma so kinda hesitant. I am all set to go and get a set now. I may end up going this route.

1. Samsung 650 lcd (40inch). if I don't like it and don't see an imporvement from the 71f I just took back then

2. Panasonic pz85u (46inch). if I end up not liking the plasma then maybe go own to...

3 samsung lcd 550 (46inch). i like the picture of this set and it is comporable price wise to the panny.

Damn, I hate this. Oh how I miss the days of my youth when I could only afford really cheap sets lol.

Anyway, this post is more of an intro. You may have a new plasma owner within a week or so. talk to you all later.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick. View Post

Hi guys, I just pulled the trigger on the 46" can't wait to receive it! I had a few questions not necessarily about this model but I guess more plasma in general. I'm getting my set from J&R since they are the only reliable delealer that ships to Canada at a decent price. I'd get it locally but we're usually behind releases of new products so I'd rather not wait around a few months. Now, I've heard that plasmas can only be transported in an upright (standing up) position, how dangerous is it to order something like this via UPS? If anyone has had experience good or bad I'd like to know. Another thing that kinda bothered me is hearing that plasmas don't do a full 1080p, only 1100x1080 or something like that, is that true? If so how does it affect the picture? Sorry for the newbie questions, just a little anxious I guess

All of these sets are a perfect 1920x1080 and will display a 1080p signal exactly as the source sends it. You're probably thinking of Hitachi plasmas, which are awful and do have a bizarre resolution.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-A-G-L-E-S View Post

I have Eliab coming to calibrate it too

I have been contemplating getting the TV calibrated...who or what is Eliab? thanks.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Google Avical.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by am777 View Post

I have been contemplating getting the TV calibrated...who or what is Eliab? thanks.

Eliab Alvarez and Dave Abrams are partners in Avical (avical.com) They have a great reputation around this forum and within the A/V community. Eliab and Dave have close business and personal relationships with Joe Kane (creator of the Digital Video Essentials calibration DVD), Samsung and others we tend to look to for HDTV. Eliab is based out of North Jersey, so you should have an easier time (compared to others outside of the NY/NJ area) to schedule an appointment. I believe Dave is based out of California. Eliab and Dave have calibration tours so check their site or email them. Eliab has calibrated my TV's a number of times, and I can't recommend him enough. I bought Eliab's Samsung HLR series 50 inch DLP TV which has every tweak imaginable, some of which Eliab and Dave had worked with Samsung to include in the following line of DLP's. I have seen other HLR's and there is no comparison when properly calibrated and tweaked. I would consider scheduling an appointment once your TV has reached 100 hours of use which is typically what Eliab will recommend. Good luck with your TV!
Old 03-21-2008, 12:52 PM

Did you get a reply yet, I have the same question. Please forward any helpful replys. ..

I just got my 42pz85u and I am looking for calibration settings
Old 03-21-2008, 12:56 PM

Quote:

Google Avical.

Thanks eagles and saccorator, I read some testimonials on their site and also a few posts here. they do seem very highly regarded. thanks.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:13 PM

alright guys, Amazon just dropped another $130 on the 50PZ85. Now it's sitting at around $2100.

What's the expectation as to how low the 50 will drop?

Too bad their 46 is still $1800. It didn't get the same $100 drop
Old 03-21-2008, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

My hope/guess is ~ another $150 or so.
Be careful with street prices as you need to keep it to MSRP prices only.
Just be more vague with it if you do.
But thanks for the heads up, ordered mine today and already money back
Old 03-21-2008, 01:27 PM

OK, Well I took back my Samsung 71 series yesterday, and got the the Panny 85U, God what a difference, I'm actually happy, and if you guys knew me, that's a big deal. The colors are great, the motion is fast. (No Blur that I can notice) I don't get a headache after watching it. Anyways, I just thought I'd throw this question out there, I'm kinda using my tv as my selector, I've got my PS3 hooked up to the tv, and I have the optical out on the TV hooked up to my receiver, I'm not getting Dolby Digital from the TV to reciever. Is that normal ? or should it be in DD ? Thanks!?!
Old 03-21-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tray262 View Post

OK, Well I took back my Samsung 71 series yesterday, and got the the Panny 85U, God what a difference, I'm actually happy, and if you guys knew me, that's a big deal. The colors are great, the motion is fast. (No Blur that I can notice) I don't get a headache after watching it. Anyways, I just thought I'd throw this question out there, I'm kinda using my tv as my selector, I've got my PS3 hooked up to the tv, and I have the optical out on the TV hooked up to my receiver, I'm not getting Dolby Digital from the TV to reciever. Is that normal ? or should it be in DD ? Thanks!?!

Interesting since that was the LCD I was considering before I went with the 85U. Glad I did.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tray262 View Post

yes, it says something like that in the manual....somewhere towards the end....

If I remember right, on external sources (ps3, etc) I believe the optical out only gives 2 channel. when using the built-in tuner i think it will give out 5.1

EDIT - pg 41

When audio from other equipment connected to this unit via HDMI is output using “DIGITAL AUDIO OUT” of this
unit, the system switches to 2CH audio.

Best thing would be to connect the optical out of each external source separately to the receiver, rather than through the TV.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hey I just picked up a 50PZ85 today to try out since I've been having no luck finding an LCD that works for me. I have to say just out of the box on standard the set looks pretty good. Checking the settings quickly this set is ever bit as bright and the whites look the same as my XBR4. Black level looks better then the XBR4 with no clouds to speak off. I've seen some light green spots come up now and then but I really wouldn't call it a trail like the XBR4 has. This is split second and at this point doesn't bother me. The set is a bit more reflective then the semi-gloss XBR4. However, I only see myself in a totally black part of the picture. I'm looking forward to running this set through the paces over the next 30 days. I want to thank Chris from Cleveland Plasma to talking me into giving Plasma a shot.

55HX950 l SC-1522-K l SP-PK51FS l RW12-D l XB1 l PS4 l RNG200 l P31 LIVE:BPMURR PSN:BPMURR
Old 03-21-2008, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

You're not the first to state there is a little phosphor lag. I hope I can't see it when I get mine.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:07 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:

You're not the first to state there is a little phosphor lag. I hope I can't see it when I get mine.

I also hope I'm not susceptible to seeing phosphor lag. My set should be delivered in about an hour, but I wasn't expecting it until Monday, so I don't have anything to hook up to it to test that out!