Forum Jump: 

post #5431 of 12675 Old 08-18-2008, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric33 View Post

Most people set the pixel orbiter to Force and 1 minute. I am not entirely clear on how Pixel Orbiter works -- and from perusing most of the threads on this very long forum, few people are. But that seems to be the general consensus.

Thanks. How about video games? Is there a big risk of ir and burn-in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5432 of 12675 Old 08-18-2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:

Check out the calibration thread -- all your answers are there. The first post is frequently updated.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1019763

Thanks again.
post #5433 of 12675 Old 08-18-2008, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone want to volunteer to comprise a FAQ for the first post?

Questions about IR, size 1/2, break in...etc.

That will help with all the repeat questions.
post #5434 of 12675 Old 08-18-2008, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBFilmGuy View Post

I've thought about it but figured it's been covered so many times....

I'd be happy to do it, I don;t know much but this is a pretty no-brainer subject.

Fr. John
Screenshots Thread
Panasonic Plasma Break-in FAQ HERE
post #5435 of 12675 Old 08-18-2008, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr. John View Post

I've thought about it but figured it's been covered so many times....

I'd be happy to do it, I don;t know much but this is a pretty no-brainer subject.

LOL nice! I'd do it but I'm being lazy
post #5436 of 12675 Old 08-18-2008, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:

Most people set the pixel orbiter to Force and 1 minute. I am not entirely clear on how Pixel Orbiter works -- and from perusing most of the threads on this very long forum, few people are. But that seems to be the general consensus.

see, if no one really knows how it works, why is that the consensus? wouldnt auto be the consensus?
post #5437 of 12675 Old 08-18-2008, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

Panasonic Plasma PZ80/85U Break-In FAQ

PZ80/85u: FAQ Table of Content

1. What’s the difference between the PZ80u and the PZ85u?
2. Should I concern myself with a break-in process for this TV?
3. Is there a recommended setting for my PZ80/85u after break-in How can I go about optimizing my settings?
4. Should I worry about image retention or burn-in with this TV?

1. What’s the difference between the PZ80u and the PZ85u? Credit to Petrong1186 for this section & other contributions.
There are several differences between the PZ80u and PZ85u:
- The stated native contrast ration of the PZ80u is 20,000:1. vs 30,000:1 for the PZ85u.
- The PZ85U includes a PC (Mini D-sub 15-pin) input while the PZ80U does not.
- The 3rd set of additional inputs (a 3rd HDMI, S-video in, component video in and audio L/R in) is located in the front of the PZ80u as opposed to the side on the PZ85u.
- Because of the different locations of the additional inputs between the PZ80u and the PZ85u, and different locations of the internal speakers, the two units have different bezels.

A word about contrast ratios: While Panasonic states there is adifference between the PZ80u and the PZ85u many people claim there is no discernable difference between the two sets. Many here at the AVS forums attribute the difference in stated native contrast ratio to the C.A.T.S (Adjusts the brightness and gradation accordingly to optimize contrast) video-processing feature on the PZ85u. The consensus of professional calibrators who have calibrated a PZ85u recommend turning this feature off. UPDATE: Confirmed, the 85u is Native 30,000:1 with CATS turned off, see confirmation info here.

The PC input does not display at the native resolution of the TV. Because of this, many people choose to run their computer through a HDMI port in order to display at the native resolution of the TV. If you can live with a stretched out image, than the PC input may be enough for you. However, if you plan on watching HD content from your computer to you PZ85u, you will need to use an HDMI from computer to TV in order for the video to display at the native resolution of the TV.

Panasonics official break-in info can be found here.

A more model specific regimen gleaned from this website follows:

First 100 hrs.:
Service Menu Time Counter instructions here.

Break-in DVD/SD card 24hr/day when your not watching TV, this makes the 100 hrs go by much quicker (get it here). Using the SD version saves wear on your DVD player. Make sure to set the picture viewer to slide show with no time limit. Be sure to turn off No Signal Shut Off and No Action Shut Off under the advanced Set-Up menu if you are going to run the slide show.

Viewing:

Aspect: Just or Zoom (no bars)
Games: Keep it to a minimum (no 2+hours of same game, HUD, etc)
TV: Mix up your viewing to avoid long periods on the same channel with tickers or station logos
Don't leave anything Paused for extended periods (15 minutes is a good rule). Same with static images (DVR menu, etc.)
A word about bars: "Burn-in," and/or image retention (see below), is an uneven aging of the phosphors in a display device. Such uneven aging happens when bright, static images are left onscreen for an extended period of time, which can leave a visible "shadow" effect. In the context of bars, either vertical bars (4:3 content) or horizontal bars (typically any widescreen content of a ratio greater than 1.85:1), the lack of content in the bars area exempts these phosphors from being aged at the same rate as the phosphors in use. The general consensus is to avoid any bars during the initial break in period, i.e. the Just or Zoom modes recommended above. After this period however the consensus gets a bit less defined. The rule I follow, as do some others I believe, is simple, I watch pretty much all 4:3 content, even HD feeds, in Just mode, simply for the fact that most 4:3 content isn't typically critical or reference level material (there are of course exceptions to this, particularly many of the pre-Cinemascope classics) . I watch all widescreen content (1.78:1, 1.85:1, 2.20:1, etc) in FULL mode with bars, this includes both HD & SD content. I've yet to experience any IR.

Picture Settings:

Cinema mode
Picture: 50 or less
Brightness: 50 or less
Color: no matter
Tint: no matter
Sharpness: no matter
Color Temp: no matter
Color MGT: OFF
X.V. Color: OFF
C.A.T.S.: OFF*

Advanced Picture:

Video NR: OFF
3D Y/C: OFF
Color Matrix: HD
MPEG NR: OFF
Black Level: Light
HD Size: 1 (slightly overscanned)**
Pixel Orbiter set to Auto or Force 1

*The C.A.T.S feature in only available on the PZ85u

**A word about size 1 vs 2: This is only a concern with HD channels. Most OTA HD channels do not utilize full 100% pixel and therefore have color bars running vertically, usually on the left side (these bars can be pronounced or little more than a thin line). For this reason these TVs have the size 1 option which is very slightly "zoomed" in, it's about 97% of the image and gets rid of those annoying bars. When gaming and watching blu rays/HD DVDs one should always utilize the full pixel size 2 option for maximum resolution potential.

3. Is there a recommended setting for my PZ80/85u after break-in? How can I go about optimizing my settings? The simple, short, and easy solution is to use the recommended settings in the “Panasonic PZ80/PZ85 Calibration Thread (Updated first post)” thread. There you will find a series of recommended settings that members use on their PZ80/85u’s. At the time of this writing, the recommended settings are as follows. (Credit to bpmurr as these are his settings):

Here are my settings using a PS3 via HDMI with DVE Blu-ray and of course by eye. RGB is set to full on the PS3. I have not done anything in the PZ85 service menu.

Cinema settings:
Picture: +70
Brightness: +48
Color: +44
Tint: -3
Sharpness: 0
Color temp: Warm
Color mgmt: Off
x.v.Color: Off
C.A.T.S.: Off

Advanced Picture Settings:
Video N/R: Off
Black level: Light
HD size: Size 1

-----------------------

Standard: - Use for Bright room
Picture: +70
Brightness: +44
Color: +46
Tint: -3
Sharpness: 0
Color temp: Warm
Color mgmt: Off
x.v.Color: Off
C.A.T.S.: Off

Advanced Picture Settings:
Video N/R: Off
Black level: Light
HD size: Size 1

These settings were “calibrated” using a DIY DVD. Calibration is the process of adjusting a picture to comply with standards used in DVD and HDTV production. There are several calibration DVDs available on the market, each one having their own pros and cons. These DVDs offer an inexpensive and (relatively) easy way to improve the picture of your television.

You can also hire a professional calibrator to come to your house and professionally calibrate your television. These technicians use several tools to more accurately calibrate the picture of the TV.

For more information on calibration, please visit the “Display calibration” area here at AVSForums.

4. Should I worry about image retention or burn-in with this TV? After the break-in period, there is very little reason to worry about image retention or burn-in (IR/BI) on the PZ80/85u’s. With the advancement of plasma display technology, there is less cause for concern in regards to permanent (even temporary) damage to the screen. The following is a brief and concise description of image retention and burn-in.

IR (Image Retention): You may see some of this, especially in the first few hundred hours if you don't follow the rules (or even if you do follow the rules!). It is not permanent and quite reversible, simply run the white screen or a full screen show for a while.

Burn-In: NOT the same as IR. Permanent. Increasingly harder to produce as Plasma technology improves. Not really a concern unless you really abuse the set.

Fr. John
Screenshots Thread
post #5438 of 12675 Old 08-18-2008, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks simple and to the point John. Very nice.

I think we should get a little more specific about the size 1/size 2 because that seems to be most confusing for some people.

First off, it is only a concern with HD channels. Most OTA HD channels do not utilize full 100% pixel and therefore have color bars running vertically, usually on the left side. That is why our TVs have the size 1 option which is very slightly "zoomed" in. It is about 97% of the image and gets rid of those annoying bars.

When gaming and watching blu rays/HD DVDs one should always utilize the full pixel size 2 option.
post #5439 of 12675 Old 08-18-2008, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

I also think you might want to mention something in there about 4:3 usage and black bars. While you technically covered that by saying to jsut use zoom, i'm sure some people want to know what is good and bad during break (the presumption though is no/little black or even grey 4:3 bars) and what is fine afterward (some habe implied to keep the 4;3 bars to a minimum, and others have said for this generation you could use black bars and it would be very very hard to make it go out of sync).
post #5440 of 12675 Old 08-18-2008, 05:04 PM

nice job john, clarifies I think everything new people need to read
Being new to plasma's here myself, I am very glad I found this site and you guys!
Picture is running great, can't believe how fantastic it is. I got a 50pz80u here.
I will try taking pics and posting them on here when I can.
post #5441 of 12675 Old 08-18-2008, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Looks simple and to the point John. Very nice.

I think we should get a little more specific about the size 1/size 2 because that seems to be most confusing for some people.

LB, done, I used most of what you wrote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spincut View Post

I also think you might want to mention something in there about 4:3 usage and black bars....

Good idea. Will take a bit more time to word it just right. I'll work on it later tonight.

Fr. John
Screenshots Thread
post #5442 of 12675 Old 08-18-2008, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

LB, done, I used most of what you wrote.

Good idea. Will take a bit more time to word it just right. I'll work on it later tonight.

Awesome

It's coming together nicely, I think with a few more contributions and once-overs making sure we haven't missed anything we will be ready to put it in the first post.

Gotta get in contact with the OP.
post #5443 of 12675 Old 08-18-2008, 09:06 PM
Advanced Member

Here a few SD screen shots from Return of the King. Getting these just right is a bear, I apologize for the haphazard white balance on some of these. I think it shows a bit of the potential for upconverting though. These are all obviously SD DVDs upconverted from the PS3 straight to the Panny via HDMI. In truth the actual video looks quite a bit better than these average pics.

Fr. John
Screenshots Thread
post #5444 of 12675 Old 08-19-2008, 12:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Nice pics John.

And I agree...I am stoked about how well the PS3 up converts SD DVDs
post #5445 of 12675 Old 08-19-2008, 01:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by shpankey View Post

I've heard some upconverters can do the proper color matrix, but I don't know which ones they are. I do know the PS3 is not one of them.

I bought a new Oppo DV-981HD upconverting DVD player at the recent low price woot! deal and confirmed the Oppo does the proper color matrix conversion to HD format unlike an older upconverting DVD player I had before. Its easy to tell with an AVIA color push test pattern.
post #5446 of 12675 Old 08-19-2008, 02:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxer View Post

I bought a new Oppo DV-981HD upconverting DVD player at the recent low price woot! deal and confirmed the Oppo does the proper color matrix conversion to HD format unlike an older upconverting DVD player I had before. Its easy to tell with an AVIA color push test pattern.

i thought the problem was the other way around, the an HD player like the PS3 wasnt converter to SD with the right colors.
post #5447 of 12675 Old 08-19-2008, 09:31 AM

hey everyone, i've come across a fairly good price 85U that I'm thinking about picking up. I was going to get a Sharp Aquos LCD but my one friend convinced me to look at plasma tvs. My uses for the tv will vary, I have a 32" LCD right now that the 50" will be replacing.

Its uses have incuded:
-PC video editing (once or twice a year if that)
-HTPC movies/tv/music (primary usage, a few times a day/week)
-PC Gaming (not for outrageously long periods of time, usually once,twice a month for a few hours)
-General PC usage (very rarely though, I tend not to use my HTPC as a daily pc only when I'm showing a group of people something, maybe 3-4 brief times a month)

1) do you think I am investing in the correct tv for my uses or should I hop back on the LCD bandwagon? the Aquos and the 85U are the same price +/- 25$

2) I am definately going to be running a DVI-HDMI converter, at present I have two Nvidia 8500GTs. with there be any issue with HDCP? I might consider buying a 9600GT to replace them, they were purchased 4-5 years ago.

3) To anyone who does use their 85U for some computing, how does the image look? I've read reviews of jaggedness? My current LCD is a 532H from Olevia. I would hope/assume an upgrade to Panasonic would be an improvement in quality.

Thanks for reading everyone!

-Kris
post #5448 of 12675 Old 08-19-2008, 09:41 AM

Quote:

Bored at work so i started writing a FAQ. Let me know what you guys think of the format, depth, etc about the first question. If i get good feedback (and im still bored at work) I may write some more

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

This first half of the FAQ is based strictly on facts. The second half will include a more subjective answer to these questions.

1. What's the difference between the PZ80u and the PZ85u?
3. Is there a recommended setting for my PZ80/85u after break-in?

1. What's the difference between the PZ80u and the PZ85u? There are several differences between the PZ80u and PZ85u. First, the stated native contrast ration of the PZ80u is 20,000:1. The stated native contrast ratio of the PZ85u is 30,000:1. Second, the PZ80u does NOT include a PC (Mini D-sub 15-pin) input. The PZ85u does include a PC (Mini D-sub 15-pin) input in the rear of the unit. Third, the set of additional inputs (a 3rd HDMI, S-video in, component video in and audio L/R in) is located in the front of the PZ80u as opposed to the side on the PZ85u. Last, the bezel of the two models is different. Because of the different locations of the additional inputs between the PZ80u and the PZ85u, and different locations of the internal speakers, the two units have different bezels.

While Panasonic claims there are two different contrast ratios between the PZ80u and the PZ85u many people claim there is no discernable difference between the two sets. Many here at the AVSforums attribute the difference in stated native contrast ratio to the C.A.T.S (Adjusts the brightness and gradation accordingly to optimize contrast) video-processing feature on the PZ85u. A majority of the professional calibrators who have calibrated a PZ85u recommend turning this feature off.

The PC input does not display at the native resolution of the TV. Because of this, many people choose to run their computer through a HDMI port in order to display at the native resolution of the TV. If you can live with a stretched out image, than the PC input may be enough for you. However, if you plan on watching HD content from your computer to you PZ85u, you will need to use an HDMI from computer to TV in order for the video to display at the native resolution of the TV.

Depending on your setup, you may find it better to have the additional set of inputs on the side of the TV as opposed to the front. I have three HD units which I run HDMI into my TV (STB, PS3, Xbox 360). I originally had a PZ80u, and one HDMI wire was always sticking out of the front of the TV. With my PZ85u, the third HDMI wire is tucked neatly behind the TV, out of sight and out of mind.

The bezel is a personal preference. Some people may like the bezel of the 85u over the 80u, and some may like it the other way around (some may not even care). This difference comes down to a personal preference.
post #5449 of 12675 Old 08-19-2008, 10:52 AM

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesdean59 View Post

hey everyone, i've come across a fairly good price 85U that I'm thinking about picking up. I was going to get a Sharp Aquos LCD but my one friend convinced me to look at plasma tvs. My uses for the tv will vary, I have a 32" LCD right now that the 50" will be replacing.

Its uses have incuded:
-PC video editing (once or twice a year if that)
-HTPC movies/tv/music (primary usage, a few times a day/week)
-PC Gaming (not for outrageously long periods of time, usually once,twice a month for a few hours)
-General PC usage (very rarely though, I tend not to use my HTPC as a daily pc only when I'm showing a group of people something, maybe 3-4 brief times a month)

1) do you think I am investing in the correct tv for my uses or should I hop back on the LCD bandwagon? the Aquos and the 85U are the same price +/- 25$

2) I am definately going to be running a DVI-HDMI converter, at present I have two Nvidia 8500GTs. with there be any issue with HDCP? I might consider buying a 9600GT to replace them, they were purchased 4-5 years ago.

3) To anyone who does use their 85U for some computing, how does the image look? I've read reviews of jaggedness? My current LCD is a 532H from Olevia. I would hope/assume an upgrade to Panasonic would be an improvement in quality.

Thanks for reading everyone!

-Kris

Well the VGA input on the 85U sucks as it's limited to 1280x1024 resolution. But if you buy a DVI to HDMI converter cable (got mine on The Big River for under a ten spot) and use 1080p resolution, it is stunning. No jaggies at all believe me. Though I wasn't able to figure out the settings to make it work directly connected to the PC, I ran it through my receiver first and it worked its magic.
I bought the 85u just for the VGA input, but I wish I would have got the 80 series and use the DVI -> HDMI cable instead. There really isn't any other improvements worth noting except for an extra HDMI input, which serves no purpose for me since I route everything through my Onkyo 875 receiver which converts all sources to 1080p and outputs through HDMI... which means I only need one HDMI input on my tv.

Anyhow, no.. it is NOT jaggie in any way shape or form and it is stunning. In your interent browser, use Ctrl + to increase the size of everything, which is kind of necessary at that high of a resolution.

26 What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul?

Matthew 16:26 NIV
post #5450 of 12675 Old 08-19-2008, 11:12 AM

Hm...while I dont have HDMI capable reciever I do believe that it'll be ok...

So you think I should just get the 80U unstead of the 85U? The price difference is only $100...
post #5451 of 12675 Old 08-19-2008, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

LB & Spincut, FAQ is updated again. Let me know if it needs tweaking.

Fr. John
Screenshots Thread
post #5452 of 12675 Old 08-19-2008, 01:04 PM

Quote:

So you think I should just get the 80U unstead of the 85U? The price difference is only $100...

The only two things worth considering are:

1. The extra HDMI input
2. The aesthetics of the panel itself.

If you are serious about the PC on your panel, don't even think about the VGA input.

In your case, without a receiver, that extra HDMI input would be worth it, imo. So if it's only $100 difference, might as well go for it. For someone like me, I only need one HDMI input as everything is routed through my receiver.

26 What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul?

post #5453 of 12675 Old 08-19-2008, 01:23 PM

i'm going to end up getting the 85U turns out i was correct yet not.

the original website where I found both the 80 and 85 had a 100 price difference with the same shipping. I found different website with a slightly higher price but much much less shipping which made the 85 almost $170 cheaper.

you know, I was thinking...we have to do a 100-hour burn in with these plasma tv's correct? would it be smarter/better if the manufacturer just did it in a controlled process?

also, I've read that the 07 model has a 60,000 lifespan and the 08 model has 100,000 hour? Is that correct or did I misread?
post #5454 of 12675 Old 08-19-2008, 01:34 PM

Quote:

the original website where I found both the 80 and 85 had a 100 price difference with the same shipping. I found different website with a slightly higher price but much much less shipping which made the 85 almost $170 cheaper.

you know, I was thinking...we have to do a 100-hour burn in with these plasma tv's correct? would it be smarter/better if the manufacturer just did it in a controlled process?

also, I've read that the 07 model has a 60,000 lifespan and the 08 model has 100,000 hour? Is that correct or did I misread?

Doing a 100 hour burn-in is recommended but I don't think it's necessary. You are correct, the 08 model does indeed has 100,000 hours of life.
post #5455 of 12675 Old 08-19-2008, 01:59 PM

I would break it in, its not like it's that hard to do and better to be safe imo. But I think he's right, it's importance is probably overstated.

post #5456 of 12675 Old 08-19-2008, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrong1186 View Post

Bored at work so i started writing a FAQ. Let me know what you guys think of the format, depth, etc about the first question. If i get good feedback (and im still bored at work) I may write some more

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

This first half of the FAQ is based strictly on facts. The second half will include a more subjective answer to these questions.

1. What's the difference between the PZ80u and the PZ85u?
3. Is there a recommended setting for my PZ80/85u after break-in?

1. What's the difference between the PZ80u and the PZ85u? There are several differences between the PZ80u and PZ85u. First, the stated native contrast ration of the PZ80u is 20,000:1. The stated native contrast ratio of the PZ85u is 30,000:1. Second, the PZ80u does NOT include a PC (Mini D-sub 15-pin) input. The PZ85u does include a PC (Mini D-sub 15-pin) input in the rear of the unit. Third, the set of additional inputs (a 3rd HDMI, S-video in, component video in and audio L/R in) is located in the front of the PZ80u as opposed to the side on the PZ85u. Last, the bezel of the two models is different. Because of the different locations of the additional inputs between the PZ80u and the PZ85u, and different locations of the internal speakers, the two units have different bezels.

While Panasonic claims there are two different contrast ratios between the PZ80u and the PZ85u many people claim there is no discernable difference between the two sets. Many here at the AVSforums attribute the difference in stated native contrast ratio to the C.A.T.S (Adjusts the brightness and gradation accordingly to optimize contrast) video-processing feature on the PZ85u. A majority of the professional calibrators who have calibrated a PZ85u recommend turning this feature off.

Depending on your setup, you may find it better to have the additional set of inputs on the side of the TV as opposed to the front. I have three HD units which I run HDMI into my TV (STB, PS3, Xbox 360). I originally had a PZ80u, and one HDMI wire was always sticking out of the front of the TV. With my PZ85u, the third HDMI wire is tucked neatly behind the TV, out of sight and out of mind.

The bezel is a personal preference. Some people may like the bezel of the 85u over the 80u, and some may like it the other way around (some may not even care). This difference comes down to a personal preference.

Very good post. Thanks for contribution!
post #5457 of 12675 Old 08-19-2008, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

LB & Spincut, FAQ is updated again. Let me know if it needs tweaking.

Looking good John.

I think petrong's contribution explaining the differences between the 80U and 85U should be added as well.
post #5458 of 12675 Old 08-19-2008, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you must use it as an HTCP you should go with the 85U.
post #5459 of 12675 Old 08-19-2008, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's correct.

There was an article on the homepage here about it actually...Panasonic says their 08 plasmas will outlive some of their owners LOL
post #5460 of 12675 Old 08-19-2008, 07:19 PM

I did some more math and have arrived at this question

I'm stuck between the 85U and its 720p relative TH-50PX80U...the price difference is $320. So far comparing the specs have only yielded differences in resolution (1080vs720), contrast ratio (30k to 15k) and a PC input that wont get used either way. So is the 1080p 85U worth $330 more?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page