Forum Jump: 

Old 03-22-2008, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascl View Post

They had no pricing information, said it was too early. I have no way of knowing if this is real or not, but noone else I have spoken too has even acknowledged that the new models exist. One store had a "New Model" sign on the pz700

I am hoping the MSRP will be similar or slightly lower than the current prices (which are already insane compared to the US prices).

EDIT: Btw this was in CMK in Times Square.

EDIT2: Times Square Hong Kong, not NYC.

I know you are talking about the TIme Sqaure in HK. thanks

I've got a Chinese link but I couldn't post it cuz I have less than 3 posts, so after this post, I can post it to you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2008, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

That edit was for me. I PM'ed him asking about the store in Times Square. I thought they had opened a new AV store in my neighborhood. Turns out I need to go to Hong Kong - or maybe just a trip to the forum sponsors.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:07 AM

For everone who understand Chinees, this is a good link about the pz800 with lots of pictures inside!! Enjoy!!!

http://www.mtime.com/group/heatmovie/discussion/177435/
Old 03-22-2008, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I had to cancel my big river order as they for some reason pushed back my shipment from yesterday to 'some time soon'.
So I placed an order with a forum sponsor - Invision. Great guy to deal with, super easy and quick....would reccomend to anyone looking.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashti View Post

That edit was for me. I PM'ed him asking about the store in Times Square. I thought they had opened a new AV store in my neighborhood. Turns out I need to go to Hong Kong - or maybe just a trip to the forum sponsors.

Overhere in HK, all the new proudct are slow!! We are just a small market compared to US/EUrope!!

so, which model are u planning to get ??
Old 03-22-2008, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by celsior360 View Post

Overhere in HK, all the new proudct are slow!! We are just a small market compared to US/EUrope!!

so, which model are u planning to get ??

Not one I should mention in this thread. It's the 9th generation of another manufacturer.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:26 AM

Liked: 16
On the phosphor trails: I only have a Gamecube, but I hooked it up last night briefly after reading the posts, and played around in Metroid Prime. The color in the level I was on was mostly "earth tones", but I found an area with some white lights, and did see a little fringing or phosphor trails on those, but nothing to the extent the picture is showing. The rest of the time I didn't notice it. I only messed around with it for about 10 minutes, and the main thing I learned was that the Gamecube looks horrible on an HD screen! Anyway, until I can hookup a PS3, I don't think I'll really have a good idea if this is a problem or not. I'm hoping that as the pixels age, green trails will be less noticeable.

We were rebels and watched the NCAA tourney last night for four hours. I have the settings on Standard right now for the break-in, but didn't notice any ill effects from the scoreboard or scrolls. The only HD signal we have right now is from rabbit ears, but it looked very good. I also popped in some standard def DVD's (480p) to watch a few scenes, and was very impressed by how the newer DVD's looked. SW:EPIII looked fantastic. Pitch Black didn't look so good (very grainy and lots of artifacts).

I doubt I'll post a "review" because I've never owned and HD set before and don't have much to compare to and don't want to hear comments to that effect, but I will give my impressions from time to time and answer questions if there are any. As soon as I get a stand for the set, I'll post some pics. I will say that the set looks really good as far as styling goes, and the "chin" is a non-factor.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:32 AM

(Trying to catch up on all 19 pages here, so I appologize if I repeat something.)

My overall impression of this set is very good, a few things that I like that Panasonic did are the styling cues (not sure of the speaker), the big thing that I noticed is they changed to a single pane much like the Pioneers. It has very good black levels, self calibrated mind you, didn't get a chance to bring in DVE to set it up "properly". My biggest problem I've found is that even when set by eye, it is a very grainy picture. Feeding 1080 from DMPBD30K through a 661. Unfortunately the setting changes aren't sticking cause the set is in shop mode. Not sure if it has anything to do with the graininess.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashti View Post

Not one I should mention in this thread. It's the 9th generation of another manufacturer.

IC.. right!!

They should have lots of stock as their price tag is much higher than Panny!! ?? So, what are you waiting?
Old 03-22-2008, 10:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASMalachowski View Post

the big thing that I noticed is they changed to a single pane much like the Pioneers.

This is incorrect. Panasonic does not use a bonded "plastic" color finter for the front glass like Pioneer. "One Sheet of Glass" is cosmetic and should be called "One Sheet of Glass Look".
Old 03-22-2008, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Call of Duty 4 is 60fps on both the PS3 and 360. (it is locked into that framerate)

I've noticed that I can't see the trails as much on 60fps games. They sick out on 30FPS games that were on a quick pan things can get a little choppy. One of witch is the Darkness that looks very poor on this set with a quick turn. However, Ninja Gaiden on the PS3 looks great. This set is pretty nice and the phospher trails aren't bothering me as much as the smearing and red outline on the XBR4.

55HX950 l SC-1522-K l SP-PK51FS l RW12-D l XB1 l PS4 l RNG200 l P31 LIVE:BPMURR PSN:BPMURR
Old 03-22-2008, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Are sports games like The Show and Madden 30 or 60?
Old 03-22-2008, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-A-G-L-E-S View Post

Are sports games like The Show and Madden 30 or 60?

Madden is 30FPS on PS3 and 60FPS on Xbox360. I believe MLB The Show 08 is 720P 30FPS.

Another quick not on the trails some of us see. Is this something that gets better over time as the TV breaks in and it's just the Plasma gas is so new?

55HX950 l SC-1522-K l SP-PK51FS l RW12-D l XB1 l PS4 l RNG200 l P31 LIVE:BPMURR PSN:BPMURR
Old 03-22-2008, 11:57 AM

bpmurr, I see you're in the plasma forum now.

LCD's have smearing trails, Plasmas have green phosphor trails - essentially the same thing as far as viewing experience is concerned. Caused by dark colors on LCD, bright colors on Plasma.

Man, I can't believe how bad these flat panel technologies are.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrattler6 View Post

I consider myself an avg. a/v person...with "avg" eyes and honestly i probably only understand about 60% of what everyone talks about on here with the technical terms, which is fine, i enjoy learning about new things. I have my 50PZ85U sitting behind me still in the box (PRIMING and PAINTING my bedroom today). I will be taking it out of the box tonight, taking pictures and firing up this thing of beauty tonight.

I will probably watch a few hours of SD (no HD until Cox gets more receivers in...) and then playing COD4 and RSV2 for a couple of hours, then throwing in a blu-ray movie. I will post pictures with an "avg. digital camera" and post.....hopefully this will help some of the more technical forum users see what's going on. I hope I don't see a lot of the phosphorus trails, etc...

Best of luck to all...

Hi rimrattler6 -- your post is cracking me up! I feel like I only understand maybe 40% or 50% of what's posted on here! Everytime I read and try to educate myself and think I understand, the next day I've forgotten everything and have to re-read again! I am very close to purchasing a 42PZ85U and getting somewhat nervous!!! Any words of comfort from anyone would be helpful to push me to "pull the trigger" as they say here!

I would like to thank everyone on this forum! Oh, and one question -- what is calibration? Is it necessary? Is there a thread on this forum or a recommended site that explains this?

Thanks!

Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
Sony PS3
Sony HT-CT100
Old 03-22-2008, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainLine View Post

Don't forget there is a 12% Panasonic coupon in the "moving pack" available at the post office.

Yes, but the 12% cpn is good only at bestbuy and the 8% cpn is good only at CC.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumbo11 View Post

bpmurr, I see you're in the plasma forum now.

LCD's have smearing trails, Plasmas have green phosphor trails - essentially the same thing as far as viewing experience is concerned. Caused by dark colors on LCD, bright colors on Plasma.

Man, I can't believe how bad these flat panel technologies are.

Kind of, right now the green phosphor trails aren't anywhere as bad as the black/dark red trails I have on the XBR4. I figured I'd give plasma a shot and right now the green is a lot easier to live with then ever dark thing trailing, mura, and horizontal backlight banding I see on the XBR4.

Old 03-22-2008, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainLine View Post

Don't forget there is a 12% Panasonic coupon in the "moving pack" available at the post office.

Old 03-22-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by specgeorge View Post

Yes, Best Buy in-store, in stock only; valid until May 31. One coupon is good for a 12% discount on Panasonic TVs. There is also a 10% coupon good on most other items in the store. Discount from regular prices, not good in combination with other coupons or offers. Still, not too bad....
Old 03-22-2008, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

This is incorrect. Panasonic does not use a bonded "plastic" color finter for the front glass like Pioneer. "One Sheet of Glass" is cosmetic and should be called "One Sheet of Glass Look".

Specifications for the upcoming PZ850U series and only that series, none being discussed in this thread, reference "one sheet of glass design with color enhancement."

Perhaps something akin to Pio's tech?
Old 03-22-2008, 01:54 PM

Well after careful review of this site and at the local BB, I too have pulled the trigger. I am so excited about this TV.
When the TV arrives, do I need to let it get to room temp before I plug it in? I have it delivered via amazon with 'white glove' delivery. This means the guy will want to plug the tv in right away before he leaves the house.
Secondly any settings you guys would recommend
Finally Do I have to wait the 100 hour of use before changing the setting?
I am a newbie to all this but really excited. (I turned in a sami 71f due to ongoing tripple ball effect! and got this instead)
Old 03-22-2008, 01:57 PM

Sorry if this was covered before.. While watching blue ray movies, just before the previews there is usually a screen that says, "the following preview is rated PG" Most of the screen is either green or blue, with white text, surrounded by a box with straight white lines. When the white line ends there seems to be almost a ghost like copy of the line running horizontal... Hard to explain but I'm wondering if this is normal, or a defect with my TV. This observation is a bit obsessive so I'm not sure it would be noticiable to every day people who don't frequent this forum

Thanks,

Joe
Old 03-22-2008, 03:12 PM

I ordered a 50PZ85U from BB on Tuesday, and it was delivered on Thursday. This set will be a replacement for my Toshiba 46H83 CRT RPTV. I've been watching HD for a few years now, but this is my first flat panel of any kind. I will be able to comment on the picture quality later. I'm currently running the break-in DVD for the first 100 hours. It's probably not necessary, but I'm just going to take it easy on this set since I still have my old set to watch.

My gameplan is to to run this DVD for 100 hours. I've started on Cinema mode with the picture and brightness at 0 and the other settings left as they were. I plan to do a quick calibration with AVIA today, then dial the picture and brightness down from that some while continuing the break-in. I will probably turn these settings back up some throughout the break-in. After 100 hours, I will calibrate using a Spyder2. Then I can comment on the pic quality and perhaps some of the results from the calibration.

As far as the TV itself, it is BEAUTIFUL. I think the design is very clean and nice. The speaker shelf at the bottom is not a big deal...I actually kinda like it. It would be sorta cool though it it was just a rectangular frame without that down there. It might be better that way for wall mounting, but on the stand it really doesn't matter one way or the other to me. I will say that the screen seems to be less reflective than my RPTV. I can't comment on how it compares to the 700U except that a friend of mine with a 42PZ700U says it seems about the same to him.

Also, it is much thinner and lighter than the 700U as seen in the specs. Kinda amazing how much weight they cut in one year. I really like the thinness. For anyone wall mounting, it might be important to know that the connectors on the back are not recessed very much. A flush mount would probably cause a nice bend in the cables or require a right angle adapter for some. I really like how much cleaner, modern, and nice looking my setup is with this TV compared to my RPTV.

I'll link to some pics of the TV hardware later. Let me know if you have any particular requests. I'll comment more on the pic after final calibration.
Old 03-22-2008, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

I just got home from a little demo. The 85U is very bright. I didn't see any difference in blacks as it still wasn't as good as the Pioneers.
There is noticeable improvement from the previous generation in PQ - imo.
They seem very similar to the Samsung 550's. Both seem to be very good sets.
Old 03-22-2008, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrymedia9029 View Post

It's not isolated.. it is highly dependent on picture settings. The person who posted the awful green flashing image should post his entire picture calibration settings for others to try and see if they see the same thing.

Without the picture calibration settings all of this information and speculation is useless..a simple adjustment may make that flaring almost non existent which would explain why some see it and some say they dont.

Settings used for green flash pix:

Pic Mode: Game
Picture: 70
Brightness: 30
Color: 55
Tint: -10
Sharpness: 60
Color Temp: Warm
Color Mgt: Off
x/v color: Off
C.A.T.S.: Off
Video NR: Off
MPEG NR: Off
Black Level: Light

I wouldn't have the slightest clue how to find any settings on my crappy $60 digital camera. Apparently the pic was taken at 1/30th though according to AM.

I'd like to see other people's pix because I only have one more week to return it if it is defective.

Yeah, well... you know, that's just like uhhh... your opinion man.
Old 03-22-2008, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-A-G-L-E-S View Post

I just got home from a little demo. The 85U is very bright. I didn't see any difference in blacks as it still wasn't as good as the Pioneers.
There is noticeable improvement from the previous generation in PQ - imo.
They seem very similar to the Samsung 550's. Both seem to be very good sets.

Interesting about the black levels. I find them to be fantastic on this set. Your right though probably not Kuro level but really close and world better then the XBR4.

Old 03-22-2008, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

When I say I didn't see any difference there are two caviets:
1. They are very respectable, just clearly not 'as' black.
2. This was a dimmed showroom, but still not a home with controlled lighting.

The brightness on both the Panny and the Sammy was very noticeable compared to last years models which were within good eyesight.
Old 03-22-2008, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Man all of this green trails/smearing talk is killing me. I was all excited about ordering my new 50PZ85U yesterday but now have that sinking feeling in my stomach again. First I thought I was going to get a 52XBR4 but with all the smearing/clouds/flashlights threads I decided to look for something else. I'm not happy with Sony anyways after my SXRD experiences. So after some reading here I started looking at plasma and the 85U's sounded pretty nice.

I mainly use a set for TV/Movie watching in a darkened room at night. Watch Nascar during daytime hours on weekends with the drapes closed. Sources are BR,HD-DVD,SD-DVD and HD-DVR via TWC HD cable. No gaming at all on my main TV. My last three TV's have all had problems so I was hoping to get something to just enjoy movies and TV with and not see problems on.

I guess the nice thing is I ordered my set locally from CC so at least I have 30 days to return it if these issues rear their ugly head for me.

Jim
Old 03-22-2008, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman View Post

Man all of this green trails/smearing talk is killing me. I was all excited about ordering my new 50PZ85U yesterday but now have that sinking feeling in my stomach again. First I thought I was going to get a 52XBR4 but with all the smearing/clouds/flashlights threads I decided to look for something else. I'm not happy with Sony anyways after my SXRD experiences. So after some reading here I started looking at plasma and the 85U's sounded pretty nice.

I mainly use a set for TV/Movie watching in a darkened room at night. Watch Nascar during daytime hours on weekends with the drapes closed. Sources are BR,HD-DVD,SD-DVD and HD-DVR via TWC HD cable. No gaming at all on my main TV. My last three TV's have all had problems so I was hoping to get something to just enjoy movies and TV with and not see problems on.

I guess the nice thing is I ordered my set locally from CC so at least I have 30 days to return it if these issues rear their ugly head for me.

Jim

I believe they are only talking about seeing phosphor trails while gaming. From what I've read, everyone who has a pz85u loves the picture for TV and movies.
Old 03-22-2008, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman View Post

Jim

First of all don't be scared about the green phospher trails. I started the XBR4 smearing thread so I can tell you right now it's no where near as bad. On the XBR4 everything that was dark had a trail behind it on a quick pan. On this set I've only seen the trail on a few games and only when I went looking for it. For the type of content your watching I don't think you'll see it very often. I'd catch it now and then during some Mens BB games this weekend but it's so split second. I think your going to like the set alot! Just watch a bunch of stuff during your 30 days and see if anything bothers you.