Forum Jump: 

Old 12-05-2008, 07:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniJay View Post

So now am the proud owner of a 42PZ85U. Getting delivered tomorrow by big rivers white glove service. Any thing I should look for or do as they unpack the TV and before they leave?

Thanks in advanced.

Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risingson1 View Post

Coincidentally i'm getting mine delivered tomorrow and want to know the same thing.

I have my SD card with the break in images ready to pop in once they get it set up. Hopefully this won't take too long to get up and running. Hope they're patient with me also. Anything else i should know?

Examine the box it came in. If there is significant damage to the box, make sure you note that on the slip you have to sign. Look over the TV very closely when its unboxed. Any blemishes, dents, dings, etc... REFUSE DELIVERY.

When my first TV came it was lying on its side in the truck, had a huge hole in the side, and the delivery guy took it down from the truck end over end instead of using the lift gate. When I opened the box, there was a nice dent in the rear panel. I was first thinking of just accepting it because the screen looked just fine. But I fought that feeling off and forced myself to be patient and wait a few more days for another one.

And don't worry about the drivers. They'll probably seem like they are in a rush. But they can't go anywhere until you sign. So take 15 minutes to unpack, examine, and hook the TV up before signing anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2008, 08:02 AM

Thanks everyone for the advice. Its a brisk 20 degrees this morning in St. Louis. Don't think I'll power it up after they bring it in. Makes perfect sense to let it warm up to room temp for a couple of hours. I'm hoping to run it through its paces later today, or just start hanging the Sanus VMAA16B. and wait......

So since I won't power it on right away, how does big river handle the exchange or return, if something is wrong with the panel? Just wondering. Never ordered a TV from there.

Thanks again,

Jay
Old 12-05-2008, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auskck View Post

Along with your subscription to Blu-Ray Discs order some Pampers

hey thanks for the advice auskck, but do they even make pampers for adults? maybe ill look into it.

just to be clear, it's not poo that's secreting from my ass. its more like a liquid. like my internal juices. like i'm getting aroused you know? and it's only when i watch my new plasma tv. very bizarre.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:11 AM

You could always watch tv sitting on a 5 gallon bucket.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Thanks everyone for the advice. Its a brisk 20 degrees this morning in St. Louis. Don't think I'll power it up after they bring it in. Makes perfect sense to let it warm up to room temp for a couple of hours. I'm hoping to run it through its paces later today, or just start hanging the Sanus VMAA16B. and wait......

So since I won't power it on right away, how does big river handle the exchange or return, if something is wrong with the panel? Just wondering. Never ordered a TV from there.

Thanks again,

Jay

If the set is defective and find out after they left, Amazon should have no problem taking care of it or just Panny itself.
Mine was also from Amazon and told the delievery guy that it needs to sit for a while before power up and he greed.

It is all about quality...that is the picture

JVC & NEC 8" CRT with 106" wide Stewart screen. All NHT speakers driven by Pioneer Elite AVR and bluray

Custom dedicated 8 seat theater

Old 12-05-2008, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwwj View Post

hey thanks for the advice auskck, but do they even make pampers for adults? maybe ill look into it.

just to be clear, it's not poo that's secreting from my ass. its more like a liquid. like my internal juices. like i'm getting aroused you know? and it's only when i watch my new plasma tv. very bizarre.

Eat lots of peanuts while watching, it will help bind you up.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:19 AM

Quote:

So now am the proud owner of a 42PZ85U. Getting delivered tomorrow by big rivers white glove service. Any thing I should look for or do as they unpack the TV and before they leave?

Thanks in advanced.

Jay

I ordered my 50PZ80U fomr Big River also and got it about 2 weeks ago. As recommended on this forum I checked the box for damages (there were none). The guys then asked me if I wanted them to set the TV up, and I said absolutly. They put it on the stand, then waited as I plugged in my HDMI cable from my Comcast Box to check the picture. I flipped to a few different channels and it looked great, so I signed all their paperwork without comments.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspeece3 View Post

I ordered my 50PZ80U fomr Big River also and got it about 2 weeks ago. As recommended on this forum I checked the box for damages (there were none). The guys then asked me if I wanted them to set the TV up, and I said absolutly. They put it on the stand, then waited as I plugged in my HDMI cable from my Comcast Box to check the picture. I flipped to a few different channels and it looked great, so I signed all their paperwork without comments.

i havnt even checked. comcast has a hdmi port?!
Old 12-05-2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwwj View Post

I would go to the doctor for that, you may have a serious medical condition known as " liquid comes out of ass while watching plasma syndrome" it's a potentially life threatening condition that can be cured if cought early.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucius View Post

Wii looks fine on mine, I am noticing more flaws in the wii games probably since it's not HD and I am going from a smaller 34 inch Sony CRT HDTV to 50 inch., but text seems fine. PS3 looks even better though on it. Also i wouldn't recommend Cinema mode for wii, Game mode, standard or custom are better imo for the wii.

Yes...agreed...Cinema settings that I use for Blu-Ray/DirecTV are too low for the Wii. I used to use "Game", but am now using "Custom" with the Brightness and Contrast dialed down a bit.

Make sure you use component cables and NOT that cable that comes with the Wii.

"Reciprocity is the wellspring of friendship..."
Old 12-05-2008, 12:36 PM
B_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctor29 View Post

i havnt even checked. comcast has a hdmi port?!

Maybe you have an old box. My original Comcast boxes had DVI outputs. I now have HD DVRs that have HDMI outputs. Take a trip down to thier service center and see if you can exchange boxes.

Xbox Live = Retaliation908
Old 12-05-2008, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

i was also wondering what the percentage of people was that had the color flicker issue....what would the odds be, im trying to figure out, i guess

PSN ID - MikeyRaw8
Old 12-05-2008, 02:01 PM

Just had the tv delivered. It looks brilliant, i'm happy to report!

Just one question. I have the break in images on my sd card but i can't seem to view them full screen. I get the black bars on top and thick blue bars on the sides. I looked through the menu and tried using the format button, but it doesn't respond when using the sd images.

Is there any way to flll the screen with the images? Thanks!

(EDIT) Well i guess when i saved the images to my card they became smaller? I remember when i tried to save the pictures it had me convert the pictures to VGA dots. I am using a Canon ELPH. Do the images need to stay jpegs to retain their size?
Old 12-05-2008, 03:16 PM

Quote:

(EDIT) Well i guess when i saved the images to my card they became smaller? I remember when i tried to save the pictures it had me convert the pictures to VGA dots. I am using a Canon ELPH. Do the images need to stay jpegs to retain their size?

Try a SD card reader directly hooked to (or built into) your computer instead of going through your digital camera.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesuby View Post

Try a SD card reader directly hooked to (or built into) your computer instead of going through your digital camera.

Do Sony memory sticks work on this tv? I tried putting the card in the slot and it fit, but didn't have time to turn on the tv and check for sure if it reads. I put the images on that card with no problem. I'll see if the images retained their original size tonight when i get home from work.

My initial impression is that i'm very happy. The set looks beautiful and huge (46in.)in my bedroom.

(EDIT AGAIN) Ok i can't use memory sticks. I guess i'll just try burning the dvd.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yojay View Post

I'm new here this is my first post. I just purchased a TH-42PZ80U Sat 11/29/08. I'm already having problems.
first- the whites look grey
second- when i switch inputs and the screen turns black, the tv is covered with a bunch of tiny white spots.

This is my second tv purchased from Bestbuy this week. My first 42LG30 LCD JUNK! hated it.
So went back to the store today and everybody in the Magnolia service area noticed me again and joked, what are you living here haha. Anyways explained my problem with the TH42-PZ80U and right away offered to swap out for the TH42-PZ85U at no extra charge so ended up getting the TH42-PZ85U for $899.99.

All right well I have my 85u all setup and the 100 hr broken in, let me tell the PQ is amazing. I am very satisfied.
Best Buy was awesome for exchanging my 80u for the 85u at no extra cost. They didnt stop there, they also gave me BD-35 blu-ray.

I did some reading through out the thread and I wanted to thank you guys for all the good info. that help me calibrate my tv and break in settings.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yojay View Post

All right well I have my 85u all setup and the 100 hr broken in, let me tell the PQ is amazing. I am very satisfied.
Best Buy was awesome for exchanging my 80u for the 85u at no extra cost. They didnt stop there, they also gave me BD-35 blu-ray.

I did some reading through out the thread and I wanted to thank you guys for all the good info. that help me calibrate my tv and break in settings.

Your welcome we are all in the same boat. Enjoy your viewing
Old 12-05-2008, 08:12 PM

is it ok to turn off the TV while there is image retention on the screen?
Old 12-05-2008, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A U L View Post

is it ok to turn off the TV while there is image retention on the screen?

Of course!

Fr. John
Screenshots Thread
Panasonic Plasma Break-in FAQ HERE
Old 12-05-2008, 09:03 PM

it's not goign to cause a perma burn-in or anything??
Old 12-05-2008, 09:11 PM

so random question for some fellow owners of the 80U/85U. I couldn't really find a good spot in this forum but does anyone have a good recommendation for an entertainment center for the 50PZ.

I was looking at something like this but with a closed design for the components section. I like the mounting post style so it hold the tv up more.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1215217299880

or more like this just 1/6th of the price

http://www.everythingfurniture.com/j...d-mount-1.html
Old 12-05-2008, 09:37 PM

After nearly purchasing the Samsung 46A740 LCD tv, I took the plunge on this plasma. Ultimately the deeper black levels sold me.

I should have the tv next week - I cant wait.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Do Sony memory sticks work on this tv? I tried putting the card in the slot and it fit, but didn't have time to turn on the tv and check for sure if it reads. I put the images on that card with no problem. I'll see if the images retained their original size tonight when i get home from work.

My initial impression is that i'm very happy. The set looks beautiful and huge (46in.)in my bedroom.

(EDIT AGAIN) Ok i can't use memory sticks. I guess i'll just try burning the dvd.

Sony memory sticks don't work on my 42px60u or my 50pz800u, I suspect they won't work on your TV either.

The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A U L View Post

it's not goign to cause a perma burn-in or anything??

Nothing can happen when the set is off. Nothing.........

Fr. John
Screenshots Thread
Panasonic Plasma Break-in FAQ HERE
Old 12-06-2008, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles3 View Post

so random question for some fellow owners of the 80U/85U. I couldn't really find a good spot in this forum but does anyone have a good recommendation for an entertainment center for the 50PZ.

I was looking at something like this but with a closed design for the components section. I like the mounting post style so it hold the tv up more.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1215217299880

or more like this just 1/6th of the price

http://www.everythingfurniture.com/j...d-mount-1.html

This is a very personal call, you could build one to your own specs.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Those stands have weight limitations you should consider. I couldn't use one as the combined weight of my components would crash through the glass shelves. I spent weeks looking at stands. I ended up with something like this;

http://www.standsandmounts.com/index...OD&ProdID=5682

For my system I needed room for a center channel speaker along with 7 other components.

I also didn't use the doors for ventilation reasons.

Pan 46PZ85U, Marantz SR5003, TiVo Premier, TiVoHd + 1tb, A2 (fs), PS3, Pan DMR E-95 (fs), JVC DVD-A, Polk & Infinity, Harmony One
Old 12-06-2008, 06:59 AM

I just picked up a TH50PZ85U 2 weeks ago and did a wall mount. I got this great TV stand at Bestbuy after alot of searching:

Whalen Furniture - BB68DBCON BB SKU # 8781366

Sorry, I can't post URL links yet. I'm new.
It is all real wood, has a center channel compartment behind a mesh panel, and curently has my Rec, Cablebox, Bluray, CD changer, and Xbox 360 in it. It also has a drawer for DVD's and games. I love it.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:21 AM

Just watched Tropic Thunder on the BD35, man does this tv have good PQ. Indiana Jones was awesome too.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
They were great on this tv. Hulk was unbelievable.

Pan 46PZ85U, Marantz SR5003, TiVo Premier, TiVoHd + 1tb, A2 (fs), PS3, Pan DMR E-95 (fs), JVC DVD-A, Polk & Infinity, Harmony One
Old 12-06-2008, 08:16 AM

Hey everyone, so I went out and bought the 46pz80 and I am running the breakin pictures on sd card. I noticed that I cannot tell when 2 of the red transitions occur to darker shades. It just looks like 1 long red slide. I can see maybe 2 or 3 of the red transitions. Is this normal? I can see all the other colors transition to darker shades. I checked my computer to make sure the colors were right and I can see 4 shades of red. I copied the 20 files exactly to the sd card so I don't know why I cant see the difference on the screen.