Panasonic PZ80/PZ85 Owners Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 267 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2008, 07:32 AM
Member
 
Scamallite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniJay View Post

So now am the proud owner of a 42PZ85U. Getting delivered tomorrow by big rivers white glove service. Any thing I should look for or do as they unpack the TV and before they leave?

Thanks in advanced.

Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risingson1 View Post

Coincidentally i'm getting mine delivered tomorrow and want to know the same thing.

I have my SD card with the break in images ready to pop in once they get it set up. Hopefully this won't take too long to get up and running. Hope they're patient with me also. Anything else i should know?


Examine the box it came in. If there is significant damage to the box, make sure you note that on the slip you have to sign. Look over the TV very closely when its unboxed. Any blemishes, dents, dings, etc... REFUSE DELIVERY.

When my first TV came it was lying on its side in the truck, had a huge hole in the side, and the delivery guy took it down from the truck end over end instead of using the lift gate. When I opened the box, there was a nice dent in the rear panel. I was first thinking of just accepting it because the screen looked just fine. But I fought that feeling off and forced myself to be patient and wait a few more days for another one.

And don't worry about the drivers. They'll probably seem like they are in a rush. But they can't go anywhere until you sign. So take 15 minutes to unpack, examine, and hook the TV up before signing anything.
Scamallite is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-05-2008, 08:02 AM
Newbie
 
MiniJay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks everyone for the advice. Its a brisk 20 degrees this morning in St. Louis. Don't think I'll power it up after they bring it in. Makes perfect sense to let it warm up to room temp for a couple of hours. I'm hoping to run it through its paces later today, or just start hanging the Sanus VMAA16B. and wait......

So since I won't power it on right away, how does big river handle the exchange or return, if something is wrong with the panel? Just wondering. Never ordered a TV from there.

Thanks again,

Jay
MiniJay is offline  
Old 12-05-2008, 08:08 AM
Newbie
 
iwwj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by auskck View Post

Along with your subscription to Blu-Ray Discs order some Pampers


hey thanks for the advice auskck, but do they even make pampers for adults? maybe ill look into it.

just to be clear, it's not poo that's secreting from my ass. its more like a liquid. like my internal juices. like i'm getting aroused you know? and it's only when i watch my new plasma tv. very bizarre.
iwwj is offline  
Old 12-05-2008, 08:11 AM
 
ElwayLite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 5,559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You could always watch tv sitting on a 5 gallon bucket.
ElwayLite is offline  
Old 12-05-2008, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
CaspianM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Land of Cardinals
Posts: 5,841
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniJay View Post

Thanks everyone for the advice. Its a brisk 20 degrees this morning in St. Louis. Don't think I'll power it up after they bring it in. Makes perfect sense to let it warm up to room temp for a couple of hours. I'm hoping to run it through its paces later today, or just start hanging the Sanus VMAA16B. and wait......

So since I won't power it on right away, how does big river handle the exchange or return, if something is wrong with the panel? Just wondering. Never ordered a TV from there.

Thanks again,

Jay

If the set is defective and find out after they left, Amazon should have no problem taking care of it or just Panny itself.
Mine was also from Amazon and told the delievery guy that it needs to sit for a while before power up and he greed.

It is all about quality...that is the picture

JVC & NEC 8" CRT with 106" wide Stewart screen. All NHT speakers driven by Pioneer Elite AVR and bluray

Custom dedicated 8 seat theater

CaspianM is offline  
Old 12-05-2008, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
auskck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Diamondhead, MS
Posts: 1,825
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwwj View Post

hey thanks for the advice auskck, but do they even make pampers for adults? maybe ill look into it.

just to be clear, it's not poo that's secreting from my ass. its more like a liquid. like my internal juices. like i'm getting aroused you know? and it's only when i watch my new plasma tv. very bizarre.

Eat lots of peanuts while watching, it will help bind you up.
auskck is offline  
Old 12-05-2008, 10:19 AM
Newbie
 
dspeece3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniJay View Post

So now am the proud owner of a 42PZ85U. Getting delivered tomorrow by big rivers white glove service. Any thing I should look for or do as they unpack the TV and before they leave?

Thanks in advanced.

Jay

I ordered my 50PZ80U fomr Big River also and got it about 2 weeks ago. As recommended on this forum I checked the box for damages (there were none). The guys then asked me if I wanted them to set the TV up, and I said absolutly. They put it on the stand, then waited as I plugged in my HDMI cable from my Comcast Box to check the picture. I flipped to a few different channels and it looked great, so I signed all their paperwork without comments.
dspeece3 is offline  
Old 12-05-2008, 11:23 AM
Member
 
thedoctor29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspeece3 View Post

I ordered my 50PZ80U fomr Big River also and got it about 2 weeks ago. As recommended on this forum I checked the box for damages (there were none). The guys then asked me if I wanted them to set the TV up, and I said absolutly. They put it on the stand, then waited as I plugged in my HDMI cable from my Comcast Box to check the picture. I flipped to a few different channels and it looked great, so I signed all their paperwork without comments.

i havnt even checked. comcast has a hdmi port?!
thedoctor29 is offline  
Old 12-05-2008, 11:25 AM
Member
 
ReggieA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwwj View Post

hey thanks for the advice auskck, but do they even make pampers for adults? maybe ill look into it.

just to be clear, it's not poo that's secreting from my ass. its more like a liquid. like my internal juices. like i'm getting aroused you know? and it's only when i watch my new plasma tv. very bizarre.

I would go to the doctor for that, you may have a serious medical condition known as " liquid comes out of ass while watching plasma syndrome" it's a potentially life threatening condition that can be cured if cought early.
ReggieA is offline  
Old 12-05-2008, 12:34 PM
Senior Member
 
rkish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 443
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucius View Post

Wii looks fine on mine, I am noticing more flaws in the wii games probably since it's not HD and I am going from a smaller 34 inch Sony CRT HDTV to 50 inch., but text seems fine. PS3 looks even better though on it. Also i wouldn't recommend Cinema mode for wii, Game mode, standard or custom are better imo for the wii.

Yes...agreed...Cinema settings that I use for Blu-Ray/DirecTV are too low for the Wii. I used to use "Game", but am now using "Custom" with the Brightness and Contrast dialed down a bit.

Make sure you use component cables and NOT that cable that comes with the Wii.

"Reciprocity is the wellspring of friendship..."
rkish is offline  
Old 12-05-2008, 12:36 PM
B_S
Senior Member
 
B_S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctor29 View Post

i havnt even checked. comcast has a hdmi port?!

Maybe you have an old box. My original Comcast boxes had DVI outputs. I now have HD DVRs that have HDMI outputs. Take a trip down to thier service center and see if you can exchange boxes.

Xbox Live = Retaliation908
B_S is offline  
Old 12-05-2008, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
mikeyraw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: philadelphia
Posts: 787
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i was also wondering what the percentage of people was that had the color flicker issue....what would the odds be, im trying to figure out, i guess

PSN ID - MikeyRaw8
mikeyraw is offline  
Old 12-05-2008, 02:01 PM
Member
 
Risingson1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just had the tv delivered. It looks brilliant, i'm happy to report!

Just one question. I have the break in images on my sd card but i can't seem to view them full screen. I get the black bars on top and thick blue bars on the sides. I looked through the menu and tried using the format button, but it doesn't respond when using the sd images.

Is there any way to flll the screen with the images? Thanks!


(EDIT) Well i guess when i saved the images to my card they became smaller? I remember when i tried to save the pictures it had me convert the pictures to VGA dots. I am using a Canon ELPH. Do the images need to stay jpegs to retain their size?
Risingson1 is offline  
Old 12-05-2008, 03:16 PM
Member
 
lovesuby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Risingson1 View Post

(EDIT) Well i guess when i saved the images to my card they became smaller? I remember when i tried to save the pictures it had me convert the pictures to VGA dots. I am using a Canon ELPH. Do the images need to stay jpegs to retain their size?

Try a SD card reader directly hooked to (or built into) your computer instead of going through your digital camera.
lovesuby is offline  
Old 12-05-2008, 04:37 PM
Member
 
Risingson1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesuby View Post

Try a SD card reader directly hooked to (or built into) your computer instead of going through your digital camera.


Do Sony memory sticks work on this tv? I tried putting the card in the slot and it fit, but didn't have time to turn on the tv and check for sure if it reads. I put the images on that card with no problem. I'll see if the images retained their original size tonight when i get home from work.

My initial impression is that i'm very happy. The set looks beautiful and huge (46in.)in my bedroom.

(EDIT AGAIN) Ok i can't use memory sticks. I guess i'll just try burning the dvd.
Risingson1 is offline  
Old 12-05-2008, 05:51 PM
Newbie
 
yojay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by yojay View Post

I'm new here this is my first post. I just purchased a TH-42PZ80U Sat 11/29/08. I'm already having problems.
first- the whites look grey
second- when i switch inputs and the screen turns black, the tv is covered with a bunch of tiny white spots.

This is my second tv purchased from Bestbuy this week. My first 42LG30 LCD JUNK! hated it.
So went back to the store today and everybody in the Magnolia service area noticed me again and joked, what are you living here haha. Anyways explained my problem with the TH42-PZ80U and right away offered to swap out for the TH42-PZ85U at no extra charge so ended up getting the TH42-PZ85U for $899.99.

All right well I have my 85u all setup and the 100 hr broken in, let me tell the PQ is amazing. I am very satisfied.
Best Buy was awesome for exchanging my 80u for the 85u at no extra cost. They didnt stop there, they also gave me BD-35 blu-ray.

I did some reading through out the thread and I wanted to thank you guys for all the good info. that help me calibrate my tv and break in settings.
yojay is offline  
Old 12-05-2008, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
auskck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Diamondhead, MS
Posts: 1,825
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by yojay View Post

All right well I have my 85u all setup and the 100 hr broken in, let me tell the PQ is amazing. I am very satisfied.
Best Buy was awesome for exchanging my 80u for the 85u at no extra cost. They didnt stop there, they also gave me BD-35 blu-ray.

I did some reading through out the thread and I wanted to thank you guys for all the good info. that help me calibrate my tv and break in settings.

Your welcome we are all in the same boat. Enjoy your viewing
auskck is offline  
Old 12-05-2008, 08:12 PM
Member
 
P A U L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
is it ok to turn off the TV while there is image retention on the screen?
P A U L is offline  
Old 12-05-2008, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
Fr. John's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Midwest
Posts: 762
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A U L View Post

is it ok to turn off the TV while there is image retention on the screen?

Of course!

Fr. John
Screenshots Thread
Panasonic Plasma Break-in FAQ HERE
Fr. John is offline  
Old 12-05-2008, 09:03 PM
Member
 
P A U L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
it's not goign to cause a perma burn-in or anything??
P A U L is offline  
Old 12-05-2008, 09:11 PM
Member
 
Noodles3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
so random question for some fellow owners of the 80U/85U. I couldn't really find a good spot in this forum but does anyone have a good recommendation for an entertainment center for the 50PZ.

I was looking at something like this but with a closed design for the components section. I like the mounting post style so it hold the tv up more.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1215217299880

or more like this just 1/6th of the price

http://www.everythingfurniture.com/j...d-mount-1.html
Noodles3 is online now  
Old 12-05-2008, 09:37 PM
Member
 
surftb15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
After nearly purchasing the Samsung 46A740 LCD tv, I took the plunge on this plasma. Ultimately the deeper black levels sold me.

I should have the tv next week - I cant wait.
surftb15 is offline  
Old 12-05-2008, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Buckeye911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 3,085
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Risingson1 View Post

Do Sony memory sticks work on this tv? I tried putting the card in the slot and it fit, but didn't have time to turn on the tv and check for sure if it reads. I put the images on that card with no problem. I'll see if the images retained their original size tonight when i get home from work.

My initial impression is that i'm very happy. The set looks beautiful and huge (46in.)in my bedroom.

(EDIT AGAIN) Ok i can't use memory sticks. I guess i'll just try burning the dvd.

Sony memory sticks don't work on my 42px60u or my 50pz800u, I suspect they won't work on your TV either.

The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out.
Buckeye911 is offline  
Old 12-05-2008, 11:02 PM
Advanced Member
 
Fr. John's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Midwest
Posts: 762
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A U L View Post

it's not goign to cause a perma burn-in or anything??

Nothing can happen when the set is off. Nothing.........

Fr. John
Screenshots Thread
Panasonic Plasma Break-in FAQ HERE
Fr. John is offline  
Old 12-06-2008, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
auskck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Diamondhead, MS
Posts: 1,825
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles3 View Post

so random question for some fellow owners of the 80U/85U. I couldn't really find a good spot in this forum but does anyone have a good recommendation for an entertainment center for the 50PZ.

I was looking at something like this but with a closed design for the components section. I like the mounting post style so it hold the tv up more.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1215217299880

or more like this just 1/6th of the price

http://www.everythingfurniture.com/j...d-mount-1.html

This is a very personal call, you could build one to your own specs.
auskck is offline  
Old 12-06-2008, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
StuJac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: S.E. PA
Posts: 1,632
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Those stands have weight limitations you should consider. I couldn't use one as the combined weight of my components would crash through the glass shelves. I spent weeks looking at stands. I ended up with something like this;

http://www.standsandmounts.com/index...OD&ProdID=5682

For my system I needed room for a center channel speaker along with 7 other components.

I also didn't use the doors for ventilation reasons.

Pan 46PZ85U, Marantz SR5003, TiVo Premier, TiVoHd + 1tb, A2 (fs), PS3, Pan DMR E-95 (fs), JVC DVD-A, Polk & Infinity, Harmony One
StuJac is offline  
Old 12-06-2008, 06:59 AM
Newbie
 
P2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ga
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just picked up a TH50PZ85U 2 weeks ago and did a wall mount. I got this great TV stand at Bestbuy after alot of searching:

Whalen Furniture - BB68DBCON BB SKU # 8781366

Sorry, I can't post URL links yet. I'm new.
It is all real wood, has a center channel compartment behind a mesh panel, and curently has my Rec, Cablebox, Bluray, CD changer, and Xbox 360 in it. It also has a drawer for DVD's and games. I love it.
P2000 is offline  
Old 12-06-2008, 07:21 AM
 
ElwayLite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 5,559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just watched Tropic Thunder on the BD35, man does this tv have good PQ. Indiana Jones was awesome too.
ElwayLite is offline  
Old 12-06-2008, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
StuJac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: S.E. PA
Posts: 1,632
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
They were great on this tv. Hulk was unbelievable.

Pan 46PZ85U, Marantz SR5003, TiVo Premier, TiVoHd + 1tb, A2 (fs), PS3, Pan DMR E-95 (fs), JVC DVD-A, Polk & Infinity, Harmony One
StuJac is offline  
Old 12-06-2008, 08:16 AM
Member
 
PureBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone, so I went out and bought the 46pz80 and I am running the breakin pictures on sd card. I noticed that I cannot tell when 2 of the red transitions occur to darker shades. It just looks like 1 long red slide. I can see maybe 2 or 3 of the red transitions. Is this normal? I can see all the other colors transition to darker shades. I checked my computer to make sure the colors were right and I can see 4 shades of red. I copied the 20 files exactly to the sd card so I don't know why I cant see the difference on the screen.
PureBlue is offline  
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off