Forum Jump: 

Old 04-07-2009, 08:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBFilmGuy View Post

No...are you seeing it on every channel?

I find it happening more when I watch more popular shows, the bandwidth used is much greater and therefore this happens.

I don't think so. We've only had the TV for a month, or two, and I haven't been able to watch it as much as I'd like too. I've noticed it more on programming that we've recorded, or "On Demand" type shows.

I try to watch as much HD programming as possible. I'll start to pay more attention. I appreciate your feedback. One last question, and I'll leave you alone

I accessed the service menu, and looked at the timer. It states "Time 384 Counter 153" There were lot's of zero's in front of those numbers.

Thanks, again!

I'm assuming that the time is 384 hrs, but what does the 153 denote in the "Counter" field? i.e. What is it counting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2009, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 137
The counter represent the number of on/off cycles.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:00 AM

Hi guys !I picked up a 46pz80u from North Miami Costco for 995+6% tax,can`t beat that.However i am absolutely frustrated,though i am good with gadgets,but i haven`t been able to program the comcast remote.I have tried many codes none seem to work anyone have an idea.I have a casio remote controller watch and the panasonic Tv code that works for the PZ80u is 33 just 33 but comcast remote requires 4 digits i believe and i have tried 0033 no hope any ideas?
Old 04-09-2009, 12:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyman View Post

Hi guys !I picked up a 46pz80u from North Miami Costco for 995+6% tax,can`t beat that.However i am absolutely frustrated,though i am good with gadgets,but i haven`t been able to program the comcast remote.I have tried many codes none seem to work anyone have an idea.I have a casio remote controller watch and the panasonic Tv code that works for the PZ80u is 33 just 33 but comcast remote requires 4 digits i believe and i have tried 0033 no hope any ideas?

Try: 0250, 0051
Old 04-09-2009, 12:21 AM

I did i presssed tv then hold setup wait for 2 blinks,release ,press the 4 digit codes then press power or volume nothing happens.I wonder if my Comcast remote is not working,but then again it was working with my Samsung LCD tv ln4071f so it can`t be the remote.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:48 AM
AVS Special Member

After four digit code is enter, if code is correct it will blink twice, if incorrect display one long blink. Did you get any blinks after four digit code?
Some comcast remote takes 5 digit code: 10250, 10051, 10055, 10650, 11291, 11941
Old 04-09-2009, 05:21 AM

I got a long blink yes ill try it tomorrow thanx
Old 04-09-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo DV8 View Post

Unfortunately, I don't have a disc which allows me to check grayscale, just simple tint/color/brightness/contrast levels. I will try the settings that Yosh70 & tcramer suggested, but I fear from my previous twiddling that some settings just mask the problem more than others. I'll post back with the results after trying the settings suggested, though.

I ran this range of settings, which Yosh70 & tcramer suggested:

Mode: Cinema
Picture: 60-70
Brightness: 48-52
Color: 40-45
Tint: -3-0
Sharpness: 0-50
Black level: Light

No real joy with those settings. Besides making the colors way too exaggerated (for me) and the retina-scorching white level (for my dim room) the green issue is still there. Although I don't have a gray scale test pattern, if solid whites look perfectly white and solid blacks look perfectly black, but everything between has hints of various levels of green, does that rule out a gray scale problem? I put on, I believe a Parmaount movie, with the blue and white logo of the mountain surrounded with white stars. The white stars were perfectly white, but when the movie came on, the green issue was very apparent. As I mentioned before, a single scene, which may have snow combined with other lesser lit objects or people, will reproduce the snow perfectly white, but anything with lesser-lit colors manifests green or greenish-yellow.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

Try viewing grayscale test patterns like the grayscale ramp and grayscale steps in the AVSHD709 Disc...

Would you elaborate on the full DVD title, so I can see if I can rent the test disc, for fun? Thanks.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo DV8 View Post

Would you elaborate on the full DVD title, so I can see if I can rent the test disc, for fun? Thanks.

The AVS disc is a "community" project". You burn the disc yourself on a recordable DVD.

Get it here.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:16 AM
Advanced Member

So. Has anyone compared an 800 series with an 85 series? I ask because im want a bigger set than my 5085 and its between the 800 series panny or the kuro 151. The kuro being twice as expensive as the 800. Theres so much info that im having a hard time going through it all and finding out if the price is justified.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriousmatty View Post

its between the 800 series panny or the kuro 151. The kuro being twice as expensive as the 800 ... im having a hard time going through it all and finding out if the price is justified.

It sounds like you're comparing a PZ800 to a 151 and asking if a 151 is worth twice the price -- but you're asking on a PZ8X thread.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

It sounds like you're comparing a PZ800 to a 151 and asking if a 151 is worth twice the price -- but you're asking on a PZ8X thread.

Quote:

So. Has anyone compared an 800 series with an 85 series? I ask because im want a bigger set than my 5085 and its between the 800 series panny or the kuro 151. The kuro being twice as expensive as the 800. Theres so much info that im having a hard time going through it all and finding out if the price is justified.

It really not a very difficult decision if you know that the Kuro 151 is the best plasma tv out there and no one know when a new technology will beat this tv (except for high end projector). So if you want to have the best and have the money or is willing to give other purchases for awhile than I would say get the Kuro 151. If not than i would settle for the 800 series.

I bought the pz85u a year ago and recently bite the bullet and bought the 151fd even though i don't have the extra cash. So I have to give up other purchases for awhile because i want the best.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Was the picture quality significantly different iyo?
Old 04-10-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:

Was the picture quality significantly different iyo?

I am no expert but I have not regret spending the extra money. Again you must know that almost all audio/video magazine in 2008 called this the best plasma period. So I think they all knew how great a picture this tv is. If you look at the 151 owner thread, not one complain or regret getting this tv whether he has extra money or not.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

The AVS disc is a "community" project". You burn the disc yourself on a recordable DVD.

Get it here.

Ah, sounds like fun. But since no Blu-ray player here, does me no good. Since ultimately I don't know if I'll keep this TV, or any HD LCD or plasma for that matter, I am putting off purchasing a Blu-ray player. Thanks, though.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:57 AM
Advanced Member

Wheres a good place to list my 5085 for sale? I live in western pa area. I think im gonna go with the 58" 800 series. If my 85 series was 58 inches its good enough I would keep it. I just want a bigger set.
Old 04-11-2009, 04:16 AM

Hi.

I am the owner of a new 46PY80 which is the same as PZ80 but w/o the DVB-T tuner. It is an Eastern European version since DVB-T is not common in this area now and for the next 50 years to come, unfortunately.

I read a lot about breaking-in so I decided to do it, too. I am running a DVD in the loop with even colors that keep changing every 30 sec. I still have 50 hours to complete the 100 hours break-in cycle.

I thought it would be interesting for you to know 2 things I have discovered so far.

1 . Tonight I went to bed very late, around 3 AM. When I woke up in the morning (10 AM) the DVD was on stand-by and the panel displayed the source and the aspect ratio on a black background. I was close to a heart attack but when I powered on the DVD again to check for IR.... surprise.... there wasn't any. I have to mention that Brightness and Contrast were set to 20%, both of them.

2. When I first powered on the plasma and I checked for dead/stuck pixels I realized that my panel has 1 stuck pixel in the upper right corner. The red subpixel was always ON. After 50 hours of non-stop break-in I switched OFF the plasma in order to move it to a different place. When I switched it ON again.... surprise.... the stuck pixel was no longer faulty. Now I have 100% working pixel on my panel. It could be that the color cycles and the low contrast & brightness settings in the first hours helped for the recovery, but I am not sure. It's just an assumption.

I will continue the rest of the 50 hrs break-in as I started, even if I am really tempted to start playing with the plasma. My wife cannot resist either and says quite often that I am exaggerating since she never heard about such proceedings and it's not written in the manual either.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 249
I wanted to provide an update from my original post from several months ago.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=707

The Panasonic black level is quite low in the beginning, but it rises substantially over time. When I first measured it shortly after purchase, it was 0.007 fL. Now, after 1962 hours of use, it is 0.018 fL.

With an unchanged 34.4 fL peak output, this means the contrast ratio has lowered from 4914:1 to 1911:1.

Not real happy about this.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

Old 04-11-2009, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman View Post

The Panasonic black level is quite low in the beginning, but it rises substantially over time. When I first measured it shortly after purchase, it was 0.007 fL. Now, after 1962 hours of use, it is 0.018 fL.

With an unchanged 34.4 fL peak output, this means the contrast ratio has lowered from 4914:1 to 1911:1.

Can this be compensated for by lowering brightness or would that simply crush blacks?
Old 04-11-2009, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

Can this be compensated for by lowering brightness or would that simply crush blacks?

no, you are correct, it would simply crush blacks.

President, Lion Audio Video Consultants Inc.
Lead THX Video Standards Instructor
Old 04-11-2009, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman View Post

I wanted to provide an update from my original post from several months ago.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=707

I guess that explains the discrepancy between measurements on 11g models. Is this the first time you've observed this behavior in a PDP?

Be a fan of displays, not companies or technologies!
Old 04-11-2009, 07:52 PM

Liked: 16
Tom (and Gregg): does this appear common? Have you calibrated any 80/85U's that have several hours on them with similar (higher) black levels? Very odd, unless it's something PDP's do with age!

Honestly, I can't tell a difference in black level on mine over the last year, and have only recently settled on settings that I like for pretty much all sources. However, I do know that when I purchase my next set, one of the requirements will be extremely low black levels. I really like this set, but will expect better on my next purchase.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:02 PM

Hello,
I am considering buying a Panasonic THC46FD18 (the old TH46PZ80, I believe)

I have never owned a plasma - do they work well when used mostly with a computer? I mostly watch AVI's...
I don't have cable either - I use rabbit ears. Do plasmas work well with those?

Finally, would you recommend this model over a Sony 46" 120Hz LCD? ($300 more)

thanks so much for any help...
Old 04-11-2009, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBoomer View Post

Tom (and Gregg): does this appear common? Have you calibrated any 80/85U's that have several hours on them with similar (higher) black levels? Very odd, unless it's something PDP's do with age!

This is something you'd only see with sustained use over a long period of time with the same panel. A one-time calibration wouldn't tell you anything. I also wouldn't say that the difference is obvious to the naked eye.

I thought I would go back and quickly review the black levels I had measured with some other Pannys of this generation that I have calibrated (and which were presumably fairly new), and I got

These are quite consistent, but they are also much closer to the 0.018 I measure now from my 85U than they are to the 0.007 I measured initially. So, either I somehow screwed up my initial reading (which I doubt), or my Panny's black level was unusually low out of the box and simply settled into a more normal value after a long period of use.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

Old 04-12-2009, 11:16 AM

Reading through this thread for several months now and my obsession with tweaking the picture & service menu settings I have made several adjustments that I haven't seen anyone else perform, at least to the extent to which I have.

I have found that since new, the black level has never impressed. To get a brightness level high enough that the set did not crush the black detail also raised the brightness that a totally black screen glowed a faint blue.
The picture also appears to have lost its original "pop".
I have also found that I never truly felt the picture accurately portrayed the source material, much to dull in Cinema, too overdriven in all other modes.

I have made some adjustments to the RGB Cuts, DRV & Sub-Brightness and I have been very happy with the result.

Here are my current settings:

User Menu Settings

Standard Picture
Pic - 93 (white clips above 93)
Brightness - 50
Colour - 47
Tint - -2
Sharpness - 50
Colour Temp - NORMAL

Service Menu Settings - numbers in () are original
Custom PIC Mode
Normal Temp

Sub-Bright - 815 (800)

R Cut - 6E (80)
G Cut - 6E (80)
B Cut - 6E (80)
ALL-CUT - 6E (80)

R DRV - DE (FC)
G DRV - D7 (F1)
B DRV - D4 (E7)
ALL-DRV - DE (FC)

WB METHOD SELECT - 00 (03)

WB METHOD
00 gives more accurate colours with COLOUR MANAGEMENT OFF.
03 gives saturated greens & blue with CM ON. Turn off CM and the pic looks washed out.
01 & 02 the white balance seems to shift depending on the scene and you get some scenes with a warm tone & some with a cool tone.

With these settings the whites appear bright white, blacks are black with no noise, shadow detail is excellent, and the colour is much more accurate.
Test images show a very good colour accuracy with a slight decoder error in the green (better though than WB 03 & CM on)
Grey Scale shows well from 5% IRE to 100% IRE with no crushed whites or blacks and good even steps between each level.

TV looks great during day and at night with all the lights off.
Very happy with these settings and with the TV now.

Mike
Old 04-12-2009, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Are you sure that's what WB method does? I use 03 with CM off and my pic is definitely not washed out. I've used a blue filter to set color and tint and the result is excellent.

I remember reading in the calibration thread for PZ80/PZ85 that WB method had no effect on PQ but much more likely how many inputs, pic modes, hd and sd, etc. the settings were applied to.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Hi all,

I have recently got the 46PZ85 to replace my old Sony MRX1. It is a lovely screen, but I have a couple of questions I was hoping I could get cleared up.

It has a had a run in of over 100 hours now, but I am curious as to why there is so much praise for "Cinema" mode? For Blu Ray, I use this with settings (at a guess, as the British models do not have percentages) Contrast: 60-70%, Brighness 40% and Sharpness/ Colour at 50%. I entirely agree that for dark scenes/blacks Cinema mode certainly increases the intensity/richness of the scenes, however for brighter pictures/ "daytime" etc it makes the picture almost too bright, perhaps slightly washed out|? This isn't the case with all brighter scenes, but it is noticeable to me.

Also, why is there reluctance from people to use Dynamic mode? I personally love the vividity and apparent sharpness for Blu Ray.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

EDIT: Also, in the Service Menu, why does the listing say 46FHD??
James
Old 04-12-2009, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesP1701 View Post

Hi all,

I have recently got the 46PZ85 to replace my old Sony MRX1. It is a lovely screen, but I have a couple of questions I was hoping I could get cleared up.

It has a had a run in of over 100 hours now, but I am curious as to why there is so much praise for "Cinema" mode? For Blu Ray, I use this with settings (at a guess, as the British models do not have percentages) Contrast: 60-70%, Brighness 40% and Sharpness/ Colour at 50%. I entirely agree that for dark scenes/blacks Cinema mode certainly increases the intensity/richness of the scenes, however for brighter pictures/ "daytime" etc it makes the picture almost too bright, perhaps slightly washed out|? This isn't the case with all brighter scenes, but it is noticeable to me.

Also, why is there reluctance from people to use Dynamic mode? I personally love the vividity and apparent sharpness for Blu Ray.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

EDIT: Also, in the Service Menu, why does the listing say 46FHD??
James

You would enjoy and lcd then with its unrealistic picture. Cinema is closest to the industry standard. Some use warm but I use normal because on the 85 there is already a red push, a flaw in the tv. Sure dynamic would look brighter and the colors would be blown out and some people find that this looks "good"...but in reality that distorts the image and that is not how it is meant to be seen. Accuracy is Key.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Note that although this thread is labeled PZ80/PZ85 almost everone here has the US version (TH-nnPZ85U).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesP1701 View Post

I am curious as to why there is so much praise for "Cinema" mode?

For the PZ85U Cinema/Warm gives the closest to standard gamma and color temperature. This is not an accident. Panasonic is trying to provide at least some support, absent any calibration settings, for people that want a display that is close to standards.

Quote:

The PZ85U doesn't have Dynamic mode.