Panasonic PZ80/PZ85 Owners Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 12675 Old 03-13-2008, 08:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hi all,

long time viewer, first time poster. JUST ordered the PZ85U last night and it says ships early-april. I know a bunch of people have gotten it earlier, but just wondering if anyone has ordered within the past 24-48 hours gotten a confirmation that it will be shipped earlier?

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 12675 Old 03-13-2008, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrattler6 View Post

hi all,

long time viewer, first time poster. JUST ordered the PZ85U last night and it says ships early-april. I know a bunch of people have gotten it earlier, but just wondering if anyone has ordered within the past 24-48 hours gotten a confirmation that it will be shipped earlier?

Thanks!!

Depends on the company and when they get them. All of the PX80 and PZ85 series are out and ready to ship, just depends on who gets them first.
post #93 of 12675 Old 03-13-2008, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

hi all,

Thanks!!

I ordered yesterday afternoon as well via EPP, I will update once mine ships.
post #94 of 12675 Old 03-13-2008, 09:29 AM

I have had my TH-42pz85u since the 10th. I love it, well what I have been able to experience. My work so far has prevented me from viewing it as much as I would like to. I hope to have pics up Friday evening. I have it hooked up via HDMI to a Comcast HD cable box, and HDMI to a 60gb PS3.

My settings:

Picture: 85
Color: 47
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 61
Color: Normal
Color Management: off
X.V. Color: off
C.A.T.S.: off
Video NR: off
Mpeg NR: off
Black Level: light
HD Size: Size 1
post #95 of 12675 Old 03-13-2008, 09:29 AM

Great pics feds. I'm gonna be out around the local BB tonight, so I'm gonna duck in and see if I can get a look at any of these new Pannys. I'll see if I have anything to add from my impressions when I get home. I think its about time I gave my PS3 a legitimate TV to show it's stuff on.
post #96 of 12675 Old 03-13-2008, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E411 View Post

I have had my TH-42pz85u since the 10th. I love it, well what I have been able to experience. My work so far has prevented me from viewing it as much as I would like to. I hope to have pics up Friday evening. I have it hooked up via HDMI to a Comcast HD cable box, and HDMI to a 60gb PS3.

My settings:

Picture: 85
Color: 47
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 61
Color: Normal
Color Management: off
X.V. Color: off
C.A.T.S.: off
Video NR: off
Mpeg NR: off
Black Level: light
HD Size: Size 1

I'll have to give those a shot when if/when I get mine-- I'm on Comcast as well.
post #97 of 12675 Old 03-13-2008, 09:39 AM

This is the second great review for this TV. I'm gonna pull the trigger on the 46 inch version this weekend through EPP. My new Polk system is getting lonely!

Slightly OT: I know where to get all my cables, wires, etc. (Monoprice), but what about power strips? What are you guys using for your 5-10 components that are all in one small area? I definitely don't want to go cheap, but I probably don't want to go Monster either...
post #98 of 12675 Old 03-13-2008, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croathlete View Post

This is the second great review for this TV. I'm gonna pull the trigger on the 46 inch version this weekend through EPP. My new Polk system is getting lonely!

Slightly OT: I know where to get all my cables, wires, etc. (Monoprice), but what about power strips? What are you guys using for your 5-10 components that are all in one small area? I definitely don't want to go cheap, but I probably don't want to go Monster either...

I use a 900VA UPS from APC, it has rudimentary AVR (step-sine wave). I like having the battery power option so the equipment doesn't just shut off abruptly.
post #99 of 12675 Old 03-13-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:

I am using a panamax M4300-PM, I had a monster MP HTS 950, but I am about to invest in a surround sound system so I upgraded when I bought the tv.
post #100 of 12675 Old 03-13-2008, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E411 View Post

I am using a panamax M4300-PM, I had a monster MP HTS 950, but I am about to invest in a surround sound system so I upgraded when I bought the tv.

That thing is a beast! I was thinking something more in the $100 range.

Something more like this?

http://www.apc.com/resource/include/...base_sku=C3BLK
post #101 of 12675 Old 03-13-2008, 10:00 AM

Does anyone get Gallery HD on Cablevision? I was watching it over lunch (12-12:30 ET if you look up your local guides) and found a difficult piece of video for a test. They were discussing a Jackson Pollock painting at MoMA and the narrator was standing in front of it. Overall, I think the scaler had a hard time handling the random fine lines of paint on the canvas and it also had a hard time distinguishing his face from the painting as he walked in front of it. I don't want to say posterization but it was kind of splotchy. I DVR'ed it so that I can take a photo of it later.

http://www.moma.org/exhibitions/1998...ic_autumn.html

post #102 of 12675 Old 03-13-2008, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by feds27 View Post

It's noon here and I have huge windows in my apt so I have alot of ambient light. These are hand held shots but I think they give a good idea as to the preset color settings.

yeah as you evnetually concluded, after looking at the sandwhich pictures through your camera anyway i thought the cinema setting or the custom setting looked great. I usually actually like vivid settings but something seemed wrong with the vivid picture, it seemed like the brightness/color/contrast was "strange", and game mode just looked terrible.

Quote:

Thanks for the warning. I noticed right away it was set too bright and with too much saturation. I've been running it in Cinema mode since I unboxed it minus the few shots I took for comparison.

I ran AVIA earlier today using the Custom preset, however, I started with the same values as Cinema. I figured if I'm going to alter a setting it should be the Custom and, having liked the Cinema setting, I figured I'd start with those values. For some strange reason Custom is not equal to the other presets because the same settings for Cinema are brighter and with more blotchiness when run under the Custom preset. I read a few other threads where people reported this difference, so it seems like the norm. I may jot down the original Cinema settings and then run AVIA under the Cinema preset.

again, i think maybe Cinema was that setting that enables whatever 24p 2:2 whatnot perhaps? maybe that's the "secret sauce" that makes the setting look different.

btw, i know you were advised to lower your brightness, and you should, but the one thing i'd say make those shots look off from alot of the pics in the kuro pictures thread is that it does indeed seem less vibrant/bright, and since this display is of all things supposed to brighter you might want to kick it up a little possibly.....it could just be your photography gives a more subdued dimmer pictures ala exposure time though.

so, also, this user doesnt see any of those nasty phosphor trails? maybe the higher end versions have done whatever pioneer does to lessen them?

my last question is, people are now re-concluding that these rival last years pioneers at least (and they should mind you, it shouldnt take more than year for Panasonic to paly catch up in my opinion). But if that is true, does that mean Pioneer used whatever "special" tech to get their black levels to get that close? i mean, the Kuros were a big jump and pioneer used some special jargon to describe their 'technique", did Panasonic have to apply something like that to get these sets to come close?
post #103 of 12675 Old 03-13-2008, 10:28 AM

Can any one here that has the new screens please advise in what to purchase? 42PZ80/42PZ85 or the Pioneer 4280xd? Many thanks!
post #104 of 12675 Old 03-13-2008, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raine0 View Post

Can any one here that has the new screens please advise in what to purchase? 42PZ80/42PZ85 or the Pioneer 4280xd? Many thanks!

Between the PZ80 and PZ85 you are paying a little extra for an increased Native Contrast Ratio on the PZ85, which I think is worth the extra money. The 4280's are good but almost impossible to find and last gen. I would go with the PZ85 series.
post #105 of 12675 Old 03-13-2008, 10:57 AM

Liked: 11
IF you have the money, then I would suggest going for the pz85u or at least the pz80u. If I can convince myself to spend the money, I'm going for one of those models but I need to see them in the store first and perhaps be a little high ;-)

Agreed that the contrast on the 85u is fantastic on paper, it is double that of the px80u, which I'm sure also looks excellent.
post #106 of 12675 Old 03-13-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:

hi all,

Thanks!!

I ordered a 42" 85U thru the EPP website on Tues night- it shipped yesterday and is set to arrive on St Patrick's Day.
post #107 of 12675 Old 03-13-2008, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisy123_madison View Post

I watched "The Fountain" on Blu-Ray and I have to say that it was amazing. If I should have waited for 24p I don't see why. I saw no juddering. I think that the blacks are nearly "bezel black." So I guess my conclusions on the contrast is that the pz85 may rival last year's Pio 4280.

Just to clarify, noisy123_madison, your PZ85U doesn't judder at all, even when you watch the end credits with your face against the screen ?

I was very unhappy when I learned that Panasonic removed native 24fps from the PZ85 series, in contradiction with their original press release. But if there really is NO judder at all, then I'm really happy. But how could it be possible without 2:2 (or 3:3 or 4:4) pulldown ??
post #108 of 12675 Old 03-13-2008, 11:05 AM

For those of you buying one of these TVs- are you planning on getting an extended warranty? If so, who are you getting it through?
post #109 of 12675 Old 03-13-2008, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Touch View Post

For those of you buying one of these TVs- are you planning on getting an extended warranty? If so, who are you getting it through?

I will be buying a mack warranty most likely through mountavision or tapeworkstexas.

"You know Andy....I never thought our town would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger.

Barney Fife
post #110 of 12675 Old 03-13-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raine0 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexInvision View Post

Between the PZ80 and PZ85 you are paying a little extra for an increased Native Contrast Ratio on the PZ85, which I think is worth the extra money. The 4280's are good but almost impossible to find and last gen. I would go with the PZ85 series.

You're also getting a PC input on the 85 if that's something that is of interest to you. I can't say I completely agree regarding the native contrast being worth it, but that's all a matter of opinion.

Then of course there is the issue of the Panny 42PZ80/42PZ85 being 1080P and the Pioneer 4280 being 720p.

It really comes down to what you prefer with your own eyes, and whether or not the different resolution is an issue for you based on view distance, etc.
post #111 of 12675 Old 03-13-2008, 11:12 AM

anyone that purchased theirs through epp... how did you get it shipped and how did it arrive?

"The further I get from the things that I care about, the less I care about how much further away I get."
post #112 of 12675 Old 03-13-2008, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:

Not to take away from Panasonic but if Pioneer wasn't so darn expensive....

I got my 46" 85U at employee pricing so that was a HUGE factor, not to mention they also had a 46" model. The Pioneer Kuros only came in 42" and 50". I was debating the 42" 720p Kuro but I'm glad I went with a larger screen.

Have you Noticed any Black Crush, or Floating Black levels on your new set? Thanks
post #113 of 12675 Old 03-13-2008, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhkharu View Post

anyone that purchased theirs through epp... how did you get it shipped and how did it arrive?

I'll wait until my warranty runs out before answering that question, I don't want anything on record before then hahaha

post #114 of 12675 Old 03-13-2008, 11:27 AM

Hello there...I'm a newbie to the HD world and just took delivery of my 85U this AM from Abt Electronics in IL. I'm just getting used to the big 50" screen going from my old abused 32" tube. I'm on Comcast here and I'm running directly from the DVR box to the 85U with an HDMI cable. Still trying to figure this beast out! I'll be lurking in the shadows reading up on settings and such. Until then, feel free to ask me anything. Thanks all!

-Zac
Elgin, IL
post #115 of 12675 Old 03-13-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland View Post

Have you Noticed any Black Crush, or Floating Black levels on your new set? Thanks

With it in the "Cinema" preset with "Light" setting, there is plenty of detail int he blacks without crushing them. When I select the "Dark" setting, I lose the detail. For instance, the screenshoot of the space ship in pitch black space with stars in the background....when I selected "Dark" I lost some stars in the background. Also, some shadows lost detail. I'm running it in "Light". The image with the cheetah sitting next to the zebra at sunrise really is impressive. You can actually see the detail in the cheetah's fur without the whites in the sky getting blown out.

It depends on the material being viewed, there are instances where "Dark" helps without losing detail. I guess it depends on the feed. If memory serves me correctly, I had good results with some basketball games last night, Nets vs. Cavs using "Dark".

I haven't been able to tell the difference with Video and MPEG Noise Reductions filters on or off, so I leave them off so that I'm not applying any unnecessary processing to the image.

post #116 of 12675 Old 03-13-2008, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaxx92 View Post

Hello there...I'm a newbie to the HD world and just took delivery of my 85U this AM from Abt Electronics in IL. I'm just getting used to the big 50" screen going from my old abused 32" tube. I'm on Comcast here and I'm running directly from the DVR box to the 85U with an HDMI cable. Still trying to figure this beast out! I'll be lurking in the shadows reading up on settings and such. Until then, feel free to ask me anything. Thanks all!

-Zac
Elgin, IL

Ask you anything??? I guess I'll start with the obvious...do you like it?!?!?
post #117 of 12675 Old 03-13-2008, 11:31 AM

Quote:

I'll wait until my warranty runs out before answering that question, I don't want anything on record before then hahaha

how did you get it shipped though? just the normal shipping? or is there a "white glove" type service?

"The further I get from the things that I care about, the less I care about how much further away I get."
post #118 of 12675 Old 03-13-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:

how did you get it shipped though? just the normal shipping? or is there a "white glove" type service?

Normal shipping.

post #119 of 12675 Old 03-13-2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:

The EPP standard shipping is free and the white glove service is $250- definitely not worth it.
post #120 of 12675 Old 03-13-2008, 11:42 AM

Sure do like it! With it being my first HD screen / flat screen it's more than making me happy at this time.

To answer a few other questions, I got the 4yr extended warranty through Abt Electronics on it. I got free shipping with the purchase as I'm only about 25 miles away from their store. They unboxed it, attached the base and placed it on my stand.

PM me if you want to know pricing and such that I was able to acquire.

-Zac

Quote:

Ask you anything??? I guess I'll start with the obvious...do you like it?!?!?

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page