Panasonic PZ80/PZ85 Owners Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 414 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #12391 of 12672 Old 10-01-2009, 11:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Panasonic 50PZ85U plasma TV and a Philips DVD player connected through HDMI. The PZ85U isn't automatically switching to the DVD input anymore when a disc loads in the player. Audio and video passes fine. Everything was working fine until I unplugged the power center which the TV and DVD player are both connected to. Power was interrupted for a few minutes. Nothing was moved, and no other connections were altered. When I plugged the power center back in and turned the TV on, the TV prompted me to go through an initial set up all over, including channel scan, which I declined. No settings seem to have changed. But the TV will not automatically switch to the DVD input and go to full screen mode as it did before. I checked the DVD player settings, and found only one that might affect this under HDMI set up - Easy Link - Auto Wake up TV ... which was still set to on. Per the manual when any setting or connection may have been changed, I tried unplugging the HDMI cable, turning everything off, plugging HDMI cable back in, turning the DVD player on and then the TV, but still no good. Viera Link was set to "ON," but I noticed in the manual it states if "standard HDMI equipment is used, set Viera Link to "OFF." So I did that, went through the reconnection/power-up sequence, but still no automatic input switching.

So I called Panasonic and described the HDMI auto input switching situation. She asked me how do I get my TV signal. I said, "Uh, over the air." She began by telling me that when the power is interrupted for a few minutes, all the settings are lost, and I need to do a channel scan all over. I knew I was facing an uphill struggle when she said that. I told her all my settings and channels appear to have been retained just fine. She then put me on hold for ten minutes while she talked to "a level 2 tech and a senior tech." She said that none of Panasonic's TV's automatically switch input's (!), that the DVD player is switching the input. I said, "But it's the TV that senses the signal and does the actual switching of the TV input, not the DVD player." She was adamant that there was no way this could be a problem or a setting issue with the TV, so that was that as far as Panasonic concierge was concerned.

Was the concierge blowing smoke, as I suspect, that the TV has nothing to do with the actual switching of inputs? It completely baffled me how she could say that. As I see it, the TV is what switches itself to the DVD input once it senses the signal from the DVD player, so the problem could be either with the DVD player, or the TV, with the higher likelihood being the TV. But how could she say that no Panasonic TV will automatically switch inputs, when it's an HDMI CEC industry standard? My question to all you knowledgeable people, before I go out and buy another DVD player in frustration, is there a setting I may have missed on the TV that may need resetting to allow the TV to automatically switch to DVD input? Is there something I need to do in a certain sequence in order to reestablish the communication? Since I am hooked up by HDMI, but not Viera Link, should my Viera Link setting be set to "On" or "Off?" I want to exhaust all possibilities before I call Panasonic back. Thanks so much for taking the time to read this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12392 of 12672 Old 10-08-2009, 12:03 PM

Hello there,

Here is my little story.

Bought a 42PZ85U in May. Made a lot of researches before doing so. Most people saying this was a very good set. I did choose PLasma over LCD mainly because of sport.

AT first, i only had my PS3 and Blu-Ray that comes with it (no HD signal). I was please with the games image quality and really liked the Blu-Ray too.

Now, one week ago i finally got my HD Signal. HD movies and series are quite good...but sports are UGLY! Main reason why i choose plasma!

I was watching football and hockey and it seems that the players are blurred when the camera from the press box (full field view) is playing. Also, the white lines on the field look jagged at times. The closeup shots don't look so bad. Edges look fuzzy at times (very visible on text bars (scores)).
Hockey is the worst (in fact, i feel that WHITE is the worst color on my set). The ice is fuzzy.

I tried many pictures settings from various hd websites forum and it just didn't help.

I feel stupid because i didn't want to pay for HD channel from the start (it was summer time) and the 30 days is now well over past...

I'm on component (tried HDMI cable with no difference). 720p or 1080i won't change a thing. It looks like there is some kind of "pulse noise" but only on sports...

Now i know the word that will come to you experts first: calibration.
No, the set was not calibrate by an expert. I just tried playing with the settings myself. All "auto-correction" things are OFF. As soon as i got the box i lower the brightness and contrast as adviced on all HD forums (in store setting being way too high).

Believe me guys, if you can convince me that a pro calibration can fix this, i will pay. I just don't believe yet it could make that much of a difference. Was watching hockey yesterday and couldn't barely stop complaining (every 30 seconds) in my head...

I'M really disapointed.

I'm a french canadian so forgive the not so good english.
post #12393 of 12672 Old 10-08-2009, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by titomahawk View Post

Hello there,

Here is my little story.

Bought a 42PZ85U in May. Made a lot of researches before doing so. Most people saying this was a very good set. I did choose PLasma over LCD mainly because of sport.

AT first, i only had my PS3 and Blu-Ray that comes with it (no HD signal). I was please with the games image quality and really liked the Blu-Ray too.

Now, one week ago i finally got my HD Signal. HD movies and series are quite good...but sports are UGLY! Main reason why i choose plasma!

I was watching football and hockey and it seems that the players are blurred when the camera from the press box (full field view) is playing. Also, the white lines on the field look jagged at times. The closeup shots don't look so bad. Edges look fuzzy at times (very visible on text bars (scores)).
Hockey is the worst (in fact, i feel that WHITE is the worst color on my set). The ice is fuzzy.

I tried many pictures settings from various hd websites forum and it just didn't help.

I feel stupid because i didn't want to pay for HD channel from the start (it was summer time) and the 30 days is now well over past...

I'm on component (tried HDMI cable with no difference). 720p or 1080i won't change a thing. It looks like there is some kind of "pulse noise" but only on sports...

No, the set was not calibrate by an expert. I just tried playing with the settings myself. All "auto-correction" things are OFF. As soon as i got the box i lower the brightness and contrast as adviced on all HD forums (in store setting being way too high).

Believe me guys, if you can convince me that a pro calibration can fix this, i will pay. I just don't believe yet it could make that much of a difference. Was watching hockey yesterday and couldn't barely stop complaining (every 30 seconds) in my head...

I'M really disapointed.

Try these settings or something close to this before giving up on the TV. If you're using vivid, custom, or even standard that could be the issue.

"Tom's Settings - Keep in mind he has adjusted his service menu (if you live in the Baltimore/DC area you should hire him to come out!)

Cinema
Picture: 60
Brightness: 52
Color: 41
Tint: -2
Sharpness: 50
Color Temp: Warm
Black Level: Light"
post #12394 of 12672 Old 10-08-2009, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Your TV is doing the best it can with the signal it has, many sports broadcasts don't have great smooth shots, especially when things are moving fast unfortunately. I used to sell LCD and Plasma TVs (up until very recently) and would watch games on both, I own the same TV you do. Calibrating will help a bit but again it is just the crap signal coming in sometimes that makes it look bad, you are aware of this obviously due to your PS3 looking great.

Gamertag: Ikazu
post #12395 of 12672 Old 10-09-2009, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

Try these settings or something close to this before giving up on the TV. If you're using vivid, custom, or even standard that could be the issue.

"Tom's Settings - Keep in mind he has adjusted his service menu (if you live in the Baltimore/DC area you should hire him to come out!)

Cinema
Picture: 60
Brightness: 52
Color: 41
Tint: -2
Sharpness: 50
Color Temp: Warm
Black Level: Light"

I tried everything before coming to this forum. No any picture settings will fix what i am seeing. Yesterday i watched baseball and i found the picture to be pretty good...with brightness (30) and sharpness (18) to be especially low...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunkist View Post

Your TV is doing the best it can with the signal it has, many sports broadcasts don't have great smooth shots, especially when things are moving fast unfortunately. I used to sell LCD and Plasma TVs (up until very recently) and would watch games on both, I own the same TV you do. Calibrating will help a bit but again it is just the crap signal coming in sometimes that makes it look bad, you are aware of this obviously due to your PS3 looking great.

Yeah you are probably right. But from what i remember, watching hockey at some friends place did look way better with the same signal provider...

Yeah, no fussiness or blurring at all on the ps3...Fight Night Round 4 is jaw dropping.
Almost had a heart attack when i watched The Dark Knight (Blu-Ray)

Is it me or Plasma television have some problem providing a clean clear white?

Thanks to you guys for taking the time trying to help.
post #12396 of 12672 Old 10-10-2009, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hello there,

Here is my little story.

I'M really disapointed.

funny, sports on my set are awesome, i have the 46, i have direct tv hd through hdmi cable and comcast philadelphia through hd component....both the flyers, phillies and eagles sparkle....now if youre talking about the whites on the hockey ice, if you notice the white jerseys look fine, hockey ice isnt a sparkling white, it also depends on the lighting of the building and how it reflects off the ice.....and even the channel sometimes, i notice the ice on verses is a shade darker than comcast sports net......my set is NOT calibrated

PSN ID - MikeyRaw8
post #12397 of 12672 Old 10-10-2009, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
+ 1. Sports look incredible on my 46".

Pan 46PZ85U, Marantz SR5003, TiVo Premier, TiVoHd + 1tb, A2 (fs), PS3, Pan DMR E-95 (fs), JVC DVD-A, Polk & Infinity, Harmony One
post #12398 of 12672 Old 10-10-2009, 01:26 PM

If the tv looks bad using Tom's setting, then there are 3 possibilities:

Bad signal

Bad Tv

Bad Eyes

Granted my tv has been ISF calibrated twice, but OTA coll fbal on CBS is pure heaven right now.
post #12399 of 12672 Old 10-10-2009, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwayLite View Post

If the tv looks bad using Tom's setting, then there are 3 possibilities:

Bad signal

Bad Tv

Bad Eyes

Granted my tv has been ISF calibrated twice, but OTA coll fbal on CBS is pure heaven right now.

yeah the bama ole miss game does look great

PSN ID - MikeyRaw8
post #12400 of 12672 Old 10-15-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr. John View Post

2. Should I concern myself with a break-in process for this TV?
Panasonics official break-in info can be found here.

i understand this post is more than a year old now, but the above link no longer works... anybody have an updated link for panasonic's official break-in info?
post #12401 of 12672 Old 10-16-2009, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powersolutions View Post

i understand this post is more than a year old now, but the above link no longer works... anybody have an updated link for panasonic's official break-in info?

go here http://www.eaprogramming.com/

download the images the a memory card, and run them for 100 hours, thats what i and many others here did, and i have never had any problems with IR or burn in

go to the downloads section and the option should be right there

PSN ID - MikeyRaw8
post #12402 of 12672 Old 10-16-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyraw View Post

go here http://www.eaprogramming.com/

download the images the a memory card, and run them for 100 hours, thats what i and many others here did, and i have never had any problems with IR or burn in

go to the downloads section and the option should be right there

well actually one of our panasonic plasma's is now a year old and was never burned in, and has absolutely no problems. i am looking for official burn-in info from panasonic.. if you've got a link that would be great, thanks.
post #12403 of 12672 Old 10-19-2009, 03:38 PM

Hey all,

I've owned a 42" PZ85U since last Spring and been more than happy with it from day 1. I've used this site to learn about burn-in, settings, etc. (thanks by the way) so I was hoping someone might be able to answer a quesion for me. I have comcast HD cable. I recently noticed that in Advanced Picture I can no longer access the HD Size option (it's greyed out). This has me worried because it's my understanding that if the TV is displaying 1080 that option should be available (it is, for example, if i use my DVD player). The cable box (a Motorola DCH3416) is showing the format as 1080i. I went through the set-up menu and everything looks normal, according to the Motorola box manual. Of course my eyes now are telling me something is wrong too, but i can't tell if it's in my head. Has anyone else ever experienced this and would a call to Comcast be in order?

Thanks in advance for any help.

EDIT: Just realized I had inadventantly hit the 'Format' button. I knew something was off. Glad to know i'm not crazy, but sorry to waste all your time.
post #12404 of 12672 Old 10-19-2009, 05:12 PM

You may want to try HD sports through over-the-air antenna. If that's good, then the problem is with cable or sat.

Quote:

Hello there,

Here is my little story.

I'M really disapointed.

post #12405 of 12672 Old 10-19-2009, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

OTA HD is non existant in Canada

Be a fan of displays, not companies or technologies!
post #12406 of 12672 Old 10-22-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick. View Post

OTA HD is non existant in Canada

Toronto has a bunch. Doesn't go very far though.
post #12407 of 12672 Old 10-22-2009, 04:51 PM

As an ISF certified calibrator with a TH-42PZ85U TV, I can tell you that the signal quality issue you're having is 100% the signal coming into your TV, not the TV. Quit moving the picture adjustments on your TV!!!!!!! It doesn't fix the picture! You need to have your settings at approximately: pic-70, bright-58, color-42, tint-0, sharpness-(doesn't matter, 0-max look the same on Panasonics). Don't change them every time the picture gets bad, it's the box, not the TV. Garbage in, garbage out; no degree of tweaking will fix that.
I'm assuming you're using a cable provider? Cable boxes are THE WORST broadcast TV picture quality out there, you will almost always get motion blur when using them. It's a very highly compressed, low grade video signal coming through them (I believe approx. 9.6 mb/s, vs. satellite at approx. 12.4 mb/s), the pixels will always blur, jitter, and flutter to some degree. If it really, really bothers you, get a satellite or fiber optic TV provider, both of those types are approximately 30% less compressed and are much smoother. Broadcast TV will never be prefect but cable providers are selling absolutely garbage product. Also, calibrations are great for Panasonics, but it won't fix your picture quality, it primarily has to do with color and grey scale accuracy.
post #12408 of 12672 Old 11-06-2009, 04:27 PM

Anamorphic DVDs and anamorphic SD content from blu-rays are not automatically stretched by my 42PZ85U. I have to manually set it to full mode. How is a widescreen tv released without this feature this is ridiculous.
post #12409 of 12672 Old 11-06-2009, 04:33 PM

Well guys, its been fun but I'm gonna retire from the thread soon. 50" 85u is being sold next week, and I'm moving.

Gonna buy either a 65" V10 or a 55" Sammy LED 8500 in January.
post #12410 of 12672 Old 11-06-2009, 05:27 PM

Hello Everyone,
I purchased my 50PZ85 last year and may shortly have to return to europe. My question is, aside from the voltage... which i can take care of with a step down transformer, is ther any way I can activate(by firmware reflash/upgrade or in engineer menu) the PAL decoding that i know this panel is capable of.

Any guidance would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks\\
Mark
post #12411 of 12672 Old 11-09-2009, 06:29 AM
A-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH_man View Post

Got the Yamaha RX-V663 surround receiver, which supports 'lipsync'. Do Pana Z85 support the 'lipsync' feature?..

JH_man

I found this question somewhere in this thread but not the answer?

I would really appreciate if somebody could answer this.

I bought a new yamaha rx-v3900 reciever and cannot make auto lipsync work with my th46py85p. The thing is that in the shop reciever automaticaly adjusted lipsync to 80 ms with Philips LCD it was hooked up with. I used the same source video and player, only TV is different.

So, the conclusion would be that panasonic doesn't support this feature, although I am sure I saw it somewhere when I was researching to buy TV. Maybe there is an option to enable it? Or a firmware update?
post #12412 of 12672 Old 11-09-2009, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

I decided to measure the gamma of each pic mode using my calibrated warm preset and turning off CM and x.v.Color. Only Cinema mode had the basic settings adjusted (simply brightness at +53 instead of default +58).

Below is absolute proof why all other modes than Cinema are nowhere near accurate, despite using the calibrated (global) warm preset.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #12413 of 12672 Old 11-11-2009, 10:05 AM

My TH50PZ has a major audio issue, turning it up above 50% causes bad distortion, the higher you go the worst it gets. Any help will be much appreciated.
post #12414 of 12672 Old 11-11-2009, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contsi View Post

My TH50PZ has a major audio issue, turning it up above 50% causes bad distortion, the higher you go the worst it gets. Any help will be much appreciated.

Check the advanced audio menu and turn everything off except for speaker output. Some audio "enhancements" can add increased noise/distortion to the actual audio signal.
post #12415 of 12672 Old 11-14-2009, 04:13 PM

It already is setup that way, I also tried different input with same result. Something appears to be wrong with the audio amp, it does not go very loud. Any advice on troubleshooting the amp?

Thanks
post #12416 of 12672 Old 11-15-2009, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contsi View Post

It already is setup that way, I also tried different input with same result. Something appears to be wrong with the audio amp, it does not go very loud. Any advice on troubleshooting the amp?

Thanks

If you're referring to the tv speakers and not a external home theater system then I would contact Panasonic tech support. I'm not sure what to do.
post #12417 of 12672 Old 11-15-2009, 11:47 PM

Anyone think a refurbished TH-50PZ80U should get a break in?

I recently got one of the '08 models at what seemed like a great deal, but after no more than 15 hours of game time, same game, RPG, static life bars etc, with my 360 I've noticed what I would think is moderate IR.

I've put these 15 hours in over the course of 3 days, and used the "anti image retention" scrolling bar after each play time, though the IR doesnt appear during the sweep, only during play time with a different game.

After looking through the hidden menu I found that the TV had seen 1200 hours of on time.

I noticed the IR after I got home from work so the TV had been off for more than 18 hours since last play

I tried the Cinema settings that I've seen pasted all over the forum, but found them slightly lacking (dull) in color brightness, so I changed it to suit my eye.

My settings have been

Game
Picture +67
Brightness +50
Color +50
Tint -3
Sharpness +70
Color Temp Normal

I also went into the anti image retention in setup and changed the

pixel orbiter to Force
Time 2

Are my settings just too hot? or could this be an indication of the reason it was such a great deal on a refurbished Plasma?

Oh and if you want to know the game, Dragon Age; Origins. Awesome (except for seeing it when I'm browsing my dashboard)
post #12418 of 12672 Old 11-19-2009, 05:46 PM

I have a 2006 TH-42PX6OU. How much better has the picture quality gotten on the Pannys? Is it noticeably better?
post #12419 of 12672 Old 11-20-2009, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VideogameBubbles View Post

Anyone think a refurbished TH-50PZ80U should get a break in?

I recently got one of the '08 models at what seemed like a great deal, but after no more than 15 hours of game time, same game, RPG, static life bars etc, with my 360 I've noticed what I would think is moderate IR.

I've put these 15 hours in over the course of 3 days, and used the "anti image retention" scrolling bar after each play time, though the IR doesnt appear during the sweep, only during play time with a different game.

After looking through the hidden menu I found that the TV had seen 1200 hours of on time.

I noticed the IR after I got home from work so the TV had been off for more than 18 hours since last play

I tried the Cinema settings that I've seen pasted all over the forum, but found them slightly lacking (dull) in color brightness, so I changed it to suit my eye.

My settings have been

Game
Picture +67
Brightness +50
Color +50
Tint -3
Sharpness +70
Color Temp Normal

I also went into the anti image retention in setup and changed the

pixel orbiter to Force
Time 2

Are my settings just too hot? or could this be an indication of the reason it was such a great deal on a refurbished Plasma?

Oh and if you want to know the game, Dragon Age; Origins. Awesome (except for seeing it when I'm browsing my dashboard)

I have 6000+ hours on my set and I still experience brief IR after DA if I play it in "Game Mode". Other modes, not so much.
post #12420 of 12672 Old 11-25-2009, 04:37 PM

Hey everyone,

Been a while since I've been here since everything has been going so well with the Panny.

But just recently noticed a thin light green line, one inch from the left edge of the display about a millimeter wide running top to bottom. Only shows during light colored images.

So since Black Friday was the one year date for the in house service, I called Panasonic service right away. Got a very nice young "American" customer service rep who asked a few questions, then set up a date for a service man to come out (less than two days later) and then put a service tech online with me to help describe the issue to. All very fast and done well.

The service man came out today. Said it's a common problem with a component that can be replaced on site. So they've ordered the part which because of Thanksgiving will be in next week. They'll put it in no charge and hopefully that will take care of that.

Anyone else have this issue with their plasma? If so, what was the part. The guy who came out didn't say much except that it was a "common problem".

Rob
sounddude
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page