Master thread for Panasonic plasma not turning on - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 2115 Old 04-28-2009, 12:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a brand new HTPC built with a Gigabyte motherboard with Nvidia 9400 integrated graphics that has an HDMI out. I'm connecting the HDMI directly to the Panasonic TH-42PZ85U plasma TV (purchased Dec 2008 in San Francisco). I've read all the blinking lights issues. My issue is that the HDMI keeps failing then resetting. It's like watching a movie for a few minutes, then the picture fails, then it comes back with a message HDMI failed but driver recovered. Happens on HDMI 1 and 3 (and I assume HDMI 2).

Anybody have this issue? Anybody know how to fix it?

Thanks.

fmcgorman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 2115 Old 05-01-2009, 04:37 PM

My TH-42PZ77U died with the "7 blinks of death", about 4 months out of warranty.

Called Panasonic Concierge on Sat morning 4/25 and after faxing in receipt to "Attn: Team 10", was told to expect a call-back with 48-72 hrs (starting from Monday) -- it's now Friday, almost a week since it died, and I'm still waiting for their call-back...

I called the Concierge again today who confirmed that no action has been taken on my case, which indicates that "management" has not reached a decision, and that someone would call me back "soon".

Search the Web and other posts here on AVS, I'm thinking that it's taking so long because so many Panny plasma's are dying from this problem and they're overwhelmed by the volume of calls...

In any case, I'll try to keep this forum updated. Although I was a big Panasonic fan before, I'm getting discouraged by this experience.
post #273 of 2115 Old 05-05-2009, 04:42 AM

I haven't had an issue yet with my Panasonic plasma, have had it for over a year. *knock on wood*

I have had issues where I'm tripping a fuse whenever my wife uses her hairdryer (in the bathroom) and the tv go off (in the living room). I realize this is an electrical issue with the house. I do not have a backup or external power supply. I feel I need one but don't know anything about them. Anyone have any suggestions? Also, feel free to move this post to a different thread. Not sure I'm really in the right spot.

Thanks.
post #274 of 2115 Old 05-05-2009, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattnstacy View Post

I haven't had an issue yet with my Panasonic plasma, have had it for over a year. *knock on wood*

I have had issues where I'm tripping a fuse whenever my wife uses her hairdryer (in the bathroom) and the tv go off (in the living room). I realize this is an electrical issue with the house. I do not have a backup or external power supply. I feel I need one but don't know anything about them. Anyone have any suggestions? Also, feel free to move this post to a different thread. Not sure I'm really in the right spot.

Thanks.

Hi mattnstacy, sound like the bathrrom and living room outlets are on the same circuit. One suggestion (the less expensive solution) if possible is to plug the tv power cord to another outlet (different circuit). Also either persuade her to use a different outlet or purchase a smaller wattage hairdryer.
post #275 of 2115 Old 05-05-2009, 05:31 PM

Concierge finally called me yesterday morning (Monday), and after confirming basic info (model #, serial #, and yes, cannot power on or off and the Pwr LED blinks 7 times...), informed me that the necessary repairs will be taken care of as a "one-time" benefit for being a Panasonic customer -- yay!

Earliest apptmt slot is Wednesday. (Local service company called later in the day to confirm.)

So, although I wasn't happy about being in limbo for so long (no word for nine days since I first called...), but Panasonic appears to be doing the right thing, so I am happy. (Or at least I will be after the repairs are taken care of...)
post #276 of 2115 Old 05-14-2009, 11:11 AM

I am happy to report that my TH-42P77U is now working after suffering the "7 blinks of death" problem.

Panasonic's local service rep came May 6th and replaced one large circuit board.

The technicial told me that had the problem not been with this particular board but rather, with two other smaller boards, these boards would have needed replacing along with the entire plasma screen (!), all of which she would have had to order since they weren't in stock... So I'm thankful it was the larger board and she had a replacement with her.

She also updated the firmware to the latest version, which she said would prevent the problem from re-occuring.

The cost of all parts and labor were covered by Panasonic, even though mine was about 4 months out of warranty.

So aside from the being out of commission for a week and a half (and being kept in limbo initially while I waited for Panasonic Concierge to respond), I am pretty happy. My TV (which I have loved from day one) is working, and my opinion of Panasonic quality, while slightly shaken, remains high since they did the right thing by me. I still think Pannys are the best-value plasmas and would not shy away from buying another one down the road.
post #277 of 2115 Old 05-14-2009, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

^^ another PLUS for Panasonic, thanks for the update mike85.
post #278 of 2115 Old 05-15-2009, 12:02 PM

My 50PX75U broke last night (thank God after the Wings game was over ) flashing at me 7x. I called Panny this morning, and was told to contact the local service place, who tells me that many of these panels are under recall for this issue. I read through all 10 pages of this thread plus a quick search and I didn't find anything about a recall. According to this guy a number of these panels have free in home repair and extended warranties because of this problem. Anyone know about a recall and what models are on it?
post #279 of 2115 Old 05-15-2009, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

I'm too lazy to read all of this thread but is the 800u series part of this ordeal?
post #280 of 2115 Old 05-15-2009, 12:30 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Liked: 488
There is no "recall" as far as i know. TV's have been suffering random power supply failures and video board failures and input board failures and panel failures for many years on various brands and models, it's not just a Panasonic thing. Such is the case with modern electronics.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #281 of 2115 Old 05-16-2009, 08:54 AM

I had the "5 blinks of death" issue last night. Chatted with the panasonic concierge but they said call a repair man. I bought mine Dec. 06. Fortunately, I got the extended 3 yr warrenty (Which I never buy...)

Looks like a 5V SOS D Board issue. Repair man will be here Monday.
post #282 of 2115 Old 05-21-2009, 10:01 AM

Wish I had found this thread sooner. My 15 month old TH-42PZ700U would not turn on, and the lights would blink 7 times. I called ABT Electronics out, where I purchased the TV, and they ordered a new "SC board". I stumbled across this thread today when the repair guy said he has seen this a lot. I'm going to try and get Panasonic to replace the parts for free, since it seems to be happening a lot. I also noticed that it could also be 2 other boards, should I get them to replace these as well?

I called Panasonic and they said they need a copy of my purchase receipt, which I am happy to provide, but they said they can't find ABT in their database as an authorized reseller. Should I be concerned about getting it repaired here?

Thanks for the help
post #283 of 2115 Old 05-26-2009, 09:27 AM

Got the dreaded 7 blinks. TV is slightly over 1 year old and was barely used. Is it worth getting it repaired or just buy a new plasma?
post #284 of 2115 Old 05-26-2009, 10:02 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Liked: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaaf View Post

Got the dreaded 7 blinks. TV is slightly over 1 year old and was barely used. Is it worth getting it repaired or just buy a new plasma?

It looks like you haven't read this thread before posting

Call Panasonic and explain that the TV should last more than 13 months. Some people in this thread have posted that they got their TV repaired for free by Panasonic a month or two after the factory warranty expired so chances are that you won't have to spend any money to get it fixed. Read the whole thread for more information.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #285 of 2115 Old 05-26-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike85 View Post

I am happy to report that my TH-42P77U is now working after suffering the "7 blinks of death" problem.

The technicial told me that had the problem not been with this particular board but rather, with two other smaller boards, these boards would have needed replacing along with the entire plasma screen (!), all of which she would have had to order since they weren't in stock... So I'm thankful it was the larger board and she had a replacement with her.

Interesting. Sounds like what just happened to my TC-P42S1.... "7 Blinks". Repair first replaced a large board (SC according to him) which did not fix the problem, then tried one of the smaller boards (SU...). This got the TV to power back on but with some display issues, a thin vertical black line across and 3 inches on the right side out. He said it needed a new panel. Panasonic has since elected to replace the TV and I am patiently waiting for the exchange.
post #286 of 2115 Old 05-27-2009, 10:20 PM

I have a Panasonic TH-50PHD7 50" commercial set. It's served me well since May of 2005 but just today has come down with the "7 blink" problem (note that the 7th blink stays red longer than the previous 6).

I've tried unplugging all cables (including power) and re-plugging them, turning on/off TV, etc to no avail.

What are my options with this set? Has anyone else with the TH-50PHD7 had this issue?

The set is like 3 years past it's warrantee period (but still way too early for it to just die like this). Does anyone think I have a prayer in getting Panasonic customer service to repair the set at little or no cost? If they can't, does anyone know what the cost be to get a replacement part or hire a local repair tech (I'm in NYC)?

Also, I paid a heft fee to get the set ISF calibrated. If I have to get the set repaired, is it likely I'll lose my calibration settings?

Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.
post #287 of 2115 Old 05-28-2009, 03:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZimiles View Post

I have a Panasonic TH-50PHD7 50" commercial set. It's served me well since May of 2005 but just today has come down with the "7 blink" problem (note that the 7th blink stays red longer than the previous 6).

I've tried unplugging all cables (including power) and re-plugging them, turning on/off TV, etc to no avail.

What are my options with this set? Has anyone else with the TH-50PHD7 had this issue?

The set is like 3 years past it's warrantee period (but still way too early for it to just die like this). Does anyone think I have a prayer in getting Panasonic customer service to repair the set at little or no cost? If they can't, does anyone know what the cost be to get a replacement part or hire a local repair tech (I'm in NYC)?

Also, I paid a heft fee to get the set ISF calibrated. If I have to get the set repaired, is it likely I'll lose my calibration settings?

Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.

In this vintage model, blinks are counted as they go OFF not ON so you actually have 6 blinks which is a fan rotation error.

Remove the back but do not blow out any of the dust just yet. Power up and check the fans looking for erratic rotation. Once you find the baddie, you can try to blow out the dust around the bearings but odds are it will need replacememt.

TW

Techniwizard posts as an Independent Servicer
post #288 of 2115 Old 05-28-2009, 05:02 AM

Hi Techwizard,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I was counting blinks as they go off and I believe I'm still counting 7 blinks. If that's the case, what would the error be?

Thanks/
post #289 of 2115 Old 05-28-2009, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZimiles View Post

Hi Techwizard,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I was counting blinks as they go off and I believe I'm still counting 7 blinks. If that's the case, what would the error be?

Thanks/

Seven is a SCAN DRIVER error, most likely the SC board but could be the SU or SD. Same troubleshooting procedure as for the other early models, alternately pull the SU or SD from the SC (leave ribbons connected) and look for a good top or bottom half-pix. Power OFF when changing boards and beware of a HOT (electrically) chassis.

TW

Techniwizard posts as an Independent Servicer
post #290 of 2115 Old 05-31-2009, 03:04 PM

[quote=tmar23;16347233]Someone please help! I have a TH-58px600U that I have had for about 2-3 yrs. Just came home today to find out the wife was having problem with the picture. I went to look at it and the unit is unresponsive. No controls work, and there is no picture or sound. The unit doesn't "click" anymore when it is turned on or off like it used to. It just quietly turns on and goes to a grey screen.

I checked and there are no blinking lights when I turn the tv on. (Do I need to do anything special to get the blinking lights?) I also tried unplugging the tv for a while and tried again, but get same result.

I hope I am in the right thread, as this seemed to be a similar issue to what some others were having. I haven't posted in a while, but I used this site extensively in making my decision to buy a panny in the first place.

Please help, I am in full panic mode right now![/QUOTE

I have the same model # and same problem. were you able to get any answer from any one on this problem.please advise.
post #291 of 2115 Old 05-31-2009, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

When did you purchase it?
Did you purchase an extended warranty?
Did you purchase with an credit card?
post #292 of 2115 Old 06-01-2009, 07:30 PM

i bought this tv in december of 2006. i did niy get any extended warranty.
i bought this tv on amex.
post #293 of 2115 Old 06-01-2009, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

javed is your tv plugged into a surge protector? If so remove tv from it and plug tv directly into the wall outlet.
post #294 of 2115 Old 06-08-2009, 12:26 PM

Update:

Panny was NOT going to cover my cost of repairs (I was about 4 months out of warranty), but the owner of the repair shop (A1 TV in Silver Spring, MD) talked to their regional rep, and got it covered for me! I had made several phone calls to A1 and to my other local repair option, and A1 was much more helpful from start to finish. It was a bit longer drive for me, but obviously well worth it. If any of you in the DC area need Panny/Sony service please give A1 a call!
post #295 of 2115 Old 06-22-2009, 10:32 AM

Last week my Panasonic 42" plasma (TH42PZ77U) suffered from the 7 blinks. I found this thread (and other websites). I contacted Panasonic last week (called the number and faxed my receipt) and a repair technician (an actual Panasonic employee, not an affiliated servicer) came out today. He said the 7 blinks problem is an indicator of several different problems. Panasonic would repair it for free if it was the result of a faulty circuit board (SC board, part # TXNSCINZTU), which mine was. He said sometimes the panel itself can go bad (and give the 7 blinks), which they wouldnt fix for free. My tv is 1 year and 7 months old, and I have no extended warranty. This specific circuit board failure is thoroughly documented, so Panasonic replaced it for free. Others things he said about this issue:

-SC board failure is due to 1 specific chip on the board, but its easier to replace the whole board than soder in a new chip at someone's house
-Panasonic redesigned the board (along with a firmware upgrade) so it uses less power. the chip on the board fails because of too much heat.
-in 2008 the SC board failure was a common occurance (for his service visits), but since 2009 he hardly sees this service call anymore (mine was the first in several months). he thinks most of these have been serviced by now. he doesnt expect this problem to come back and he's never seen this problem return to a serviced tv.
-he said this problem is unique to the 42 inch model. the 50 and 65 versions of this model dont suffer from the SC board failure because of the larger panel. apparently the increased pixel density of the 42 inch screen (compared to the 50 and 65) requires greater power generation/consumption. the 50 and 65 inch versions also have 8 fans, while the 42 inch has 4 fans.
-the SC board processes power for the plasma screen itself. the processor sends the image to the board, which powers the plasma screen

thumbs up to panasonic. they called me for a service appt the day after faxing my receipt in, and the repair tech came 2 business days later. plus i didnt pay a cent.

btw I live in Los Angeles county....if it matters.
post #296 of 2115 Old 06-23-2009, 12:50 AM

Hey guys,

I have a TH-42PZ80U and it doesn't do 7 or 10 blinks, only two. Any one got an idea what that might be?

I'm probably just going to return it anyway, but just tossing my two cents into the thread since I'm getting a similar problem.
post #297 of 2115 Old 07-03-2009, 10:10 AM

Last Saturday, my 42" Panasonic plasma television set displayed the seven blinking lights of death and gave up the ghost. It was less than eighteen months old, and was purchased from Sears.

Although some apologists in this forum have suggested that there is nothing unusual about a "few" television sets malfunctioning, it's clear that hundreds of consumers have been affected by this situation. Television sets should last longer than eighteen months.

I am trying to consolidate consumer complaints about this problem in the hopes that Panasonic will respond to disgruntled consumers as a group rather than on a case-by-case basis. From reading through the forum postings here and elsewhere, Panasonic's response seems to have been inconsistent. Some people received repairs even though the unit was out of warranty. Other people were told that they were out of luck. One poor consumer payed more than $900 to have the unit repaired.

Panasonic needs to take responsibility for this issue. If you agree, please visit the consumer complaint blot at panasonicfail dot blogspot dot com. I realize that this thread is also intended to consolidate comments about this issue, but figured that a separate complaint blog might be the best way of pressuring Panasonic to do the right thing.

Thanks to the forum moderators for permitting this post.
post #298 of 2115 Old 07-03-2009, 10:50 AM

Really appreciate your initiative and approach with this. As someone whose $4,000 50" plasma (ironically anextra-durable "commercial" model) failed with the 7-blink problem after just a few years of minimal use, I couldn't agree more that the problem (and Panasonic's handling of it) is entirely unacceptable. My folks have a crappy cheapo set from the 70's that's been used for 3+ hours/day every day for 30 years or so and it's still working fine. It just doesn't add up for me that multiple high-end product lines from the same manufacturer can fail on a large scale like this and somehow be considered excusable or acceptable.

There is power in numbers when it comes to situations like this, so I commend you for setting up the blog and will be checking it out as soon as I post this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonel View Post

Last Saturday, my 42" Panasonic plasma television set displayed the seven blinking lights of death and gave up the ghost. It was less than eighteen months old, and was purchased from Sears.

Although some apologists in this forum have suggested that there is nothing unusual about a "few" television sets malfunctioning, it's clear that hundreds of consumers have been affected by this situation. Television sets should last longer than eighteen months.

I am trying to consolidate consumer complaints about this problem in the hopes that Panasonic will respond to disgruntled consumers as a group rather than on a case-by-case basis. From reading through the forum postings here and elsewhere, Panasonic's response seems to have been inconsistent. Some people received repairs even though the unit was out of warranty. Other people were told that they were out of luck. One poor consumer payed more than $900 to have the unit repaired.

Panasonic needs to take responsibility for this issue. If you agree, please visit the consumer complaint blot at panasonicfail dot blogspot dot com. I realize that this thread is also intended to consolidate comments about this issue, but figured that a separate complaint blog might be the best way of pressuring Panasonic to do the right thing.

Thanks to the forum moderators for permitting this post.

post #299 of 2115 Old 07-04-2009, 12:47 PM

I bought my TH-42PZ77U from Best Buy in November 2007 and it was working fine until yesterday. I turned it on, no picture was displayed, and the power light was blinking 7 times.

I called Panasonic and after asking me to unplug the set and plug it back in (with no effect) they said they'd give me the contact info of service reps who could come and fix it. I asked if they would set this up and the rep said "it's out of warranty...so...". Before he could even finish the sentence I told him of the posts on this forum and others that describe a similar problem.

He then immediately asked me to fax in a proof of purchase along with the case number assigned to me and he said his "manager" would decide what they could do for me. He said I should hear back mid-week. I sure hope they can fix this quickly as it is very frustrating to have a TV break after less than 2 years.
post #300 of 2115 Old 07-06-2009, 01:08 PM

Add me to the list. My 16 month old TH-50PZ85U died last week. No picture and no sound. My power light is blinking 2 times. I bought the TV with my American Express card so, I called them and was informed that I am covered under their 2year warranty. All I have to do is get a repair quote, original invoice and manufacturer's warranty information. I have not had a chance to do this yet, but once I do, I was told that they (American Ex) will decide to either pay for the repair, replace, or give me a full refund. I would definitely love to get a full refund.

I also called Panasonic was told to fax in the repair estimate and they will decide whether or not to pay for the repair or tell me that I am out of luck because I am over my 1year warranty period.

Whatever the outcome may be, it just seems that there are way too many of these TVs failing with the same problem.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic

User Tag List
TW2005

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page