Master thread for Panasonic plasma not turning on - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 2057 Old 11-02-2009, 07:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you Ericthemidget for starting this thread! You probably saved me hours of reading!

My TH-46PZ85U began the 10 light limbo earlier today. Looks like that service plan will get put to work. This has still been a great TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 2057 Old 11-06-2009, 03:34 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVmeeh View Post

$300 labor charge!?...WHAT?...They don't know the problem?.Panasonic will send them the parts?If they don't know the problem how are they going to know which parts to send?..and how does my dealer know how long the labor will take?..something fishy going on here....and supposedly the warranties weren't extended by PanasonicUSA an extra year...no actual problems with this set exist?But if you go to Panasonic.ca there's a firmware update hiding behind a channel setup firmware update that will fix the ---skips channels when scanning channels in,and they'll come to your home to install it.....hmmmmmm fishy.

i was told by the same place that the firmware update was to keep the tv from breaking.

Yamaha RX-V1075-using PLIIX-music/4 B&W 804's, fronts & sides
2 B&W 602's(rears)50S60 Panny Plasma
post #453 of 2057 Old 11-06-2009, 03:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVmeeh View Post

Called Panasonic Canada concierge ..good people..looks like the parts will be covered by Panasonic Canada, i'll have to pay for labour,well so far i'm kinda happy with that,though we're always considered second class consumers even though we pay 30% more for electronics from the same production line..now depends on the labour charge if i accept or decline..i mean cmon..same productin line,2 different countries,one covers labour and parts,the other covers parts only? in a kinda good way,i wouldn't have even bothered with the 2 S companies!

All us canuks get the same deal pretty much
The labour dollars vary a bit..... mine was lower

Yamaha RX-V1075-using PLIIX-music/4 B&W 804's, fronts & sides
2 B&W 602's(rears)50S60 Panny Plasma
post #454 of 2057 Old 11-06-2009, 11:21 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean l View Post

Was hoping I would never have to post on this thread
Last night I was watching a DVD and my TH-42PX80U (purchased on 11/12/2008 Build Date 10/2008) just shut off with no blinking lights that I saw. Has ran perfect since day 1. Immediately tried turning it back on with no response. Unplugged it went to bed. This morning I plugged it back in. Tried turning it on still nothing. Tried holding down the power button for 20 seconds still no response. Called Panasonic this morning and they gave me a confirmation number and will send out a technician from AksarbenTV (Omaha, NE) on Tues morning. Never did buy an extended warranty from Best Buy, but luckily I am still covered by Panny's 1 year warranty.
Will update after the tech comes out.

Update. Aksarben TV came out on Tues. Turns out Panasonic sent them the wrong boards. Techs were apologetic, reordered boards from Panny, came out yesterday (Thurs) with proper boards, and set is up and running again. I just hope I do not run into problems again, since my manufacturers warranty is about to expire.
post #455 of 2057 Old 11-07-2009, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean l View Post

Update. Aksarben TV came out on Tues. Turns out Panasonic sent them the wrong boards. Techs were apologetic, reordered boards from Panny, came out yesterday (Thurs) with proper boards, and set is up and running again. I just hope I do not run into problems again, since my manufacturers warranty is about to expire.

I am having the same problem, my TV went out, and it won't turn on, no LED lights. I changed power outlets and still nothing.

What board did the tech replace for you? Was it the power supply board? I just ordered a new power supply board off of eBay for $85 and hopefully that will solve my problem. It sucks because this TV is like 15 months old and 3 months out of warranty.
post #456 of 2057 Old 11-07-2009, 09:16 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyargento View Post

I am having the same problem, my TV went out, and it won't turn on, no LED lights. I changed power outlets and still nothing.

What is the exact model number of your TV?

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #457 of 2057 Old 11-07-2009, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Yup, depending on the model, they may bend that warranty term limit for you if the problem fits one already identified. Worst they could say is "no".

TW

Techniwizard posts as an Independent Servicer
post #458 of 2057 Old 11-07-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:

TH-42PX80U

Manufactured in July of 2008

I was watching a movie and it just shut off. No surge protector on it, tried it in 2 other outlets. Won't turn on, and there are no blinking LEDs for a code. Do you think it is the power supply? This is the one I ordered:

Model/Part # LSEP1260 (won't let me post a link, you can g00gle that and see the part.

Thanks
post #459 of 2057 Old 11-07-2009, 12:27 PM

On October 27th 2009, I come back from eating, open my 42PZ80 to play some more Forza 3 then I get 2 flashing red light. Tried what they said on Panasonic.ca to try a different plug then nothing.

Off course Panasonic was closed, I was desperate then I've seen a post here saying someone got his warranty extended with Visa TD so I called Visa they said I have to call another number but I should be covered.

Then saturday I try to open my TV then it worked. I unplug everything friday.

Now today again same thing. 2 flashing red light but if I hold the power button for line 10 seconds I get 10 flashing red light. I'm sure tomorrow it might work but anyway I'm calling Panasonic monday. Anyway it's an issue that I'm sure will happen again and by chance I'm covered until May 2010 by Visa. My TV was made on March 08. Last time I buy a Panny TV.

It's very ironic that a 200$ PC LCD screen has a 3 year warranty but on the TV, you may pay between 300 to 3000$ and you only get 1 year.
post #460 of 2057 Old 11-08-2009, 11:22 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkman007e View Post

Last time I buy a Panny TV.

Then what will you buy instead? Any other brand you buy will have poorer build quality, will be even more un-reliable, and the company will have worse customer service and worse parts availability when something goes wrong.

Panasonic is the best TV maker - they have the most reliable TV than any other TV manufacturer, they have the best repair center network and best parts availability, and their customer service is better than everybody else's. If Panasonic isn't good enough for you, then you have nowhere else to turn.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
post #461 of 2057 Old 11-08-2009, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Then what will you buy instead? Any other brand you buy will have poorer build quality, will be even more un-reliable, and the company will have worse customer service and worse parts availability when something goes wrong.

Panasonic is the best TV maker - they have the most reliable TV than any other TV manufacturer, they have the best repair center network and best parts availability, and their customer service is better than everybody else's. If Panasonic isn't good enough for you, then you have nowhere else to turn.

Odd that the "best" has the only thread about this basic an issue.

Panasonic has had their fair share of "stinker" products. Their LCD projection sets were a disaster and their attempt to rebound in this market with the LIFI powered sets also failed miserably. Both sets suffered from the inability to keep running.

My guess is that all current manufacturers have cheaped out on the power supplies for their sets, in order to get an Energy Star rating for their sets.

The low power draw of the set, coupled with the demand for current with different programming stresses the power supply, eventually ending in the set malfunctioning.
post #462 of 2057 Old 11-09-2009, 06:56 PM

Panasonic th42pz700u, no power-up, 10-blink code.
Purchased 2007-11-08, failed today, 2009-11-09.
Un-plugged all cables, cycled power - no change in results.
Purchased in Temecula
Date code; Oct 2007
post #463 of 2057 Old 11-11-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:

Well I did speak a bit too quickly as when I called them tuesday the CSR went to speak with his manager and supposly will wave the fees of the part which I didn't even ask but I guest it's probably because it's a known issue. He said I will have to pay like 150$ to get it fixed but then after I called Visa TD then I will have to fax them some stuff so they can refund me that 150$ because of their extended warranty. Now the authorized repair center called me today and a tech should come next Wednesday.

Maybe I should say if my TV craps again THEN I'm no longer buying a TV from Panasonic.
post #464 of 2057 Old 11-12-2009, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Panasonic will likely not duplicate Pioneer's pricing strategy. Even with superior pq, the Kuro line turned out to be a poor value in the marketplace - meaning that the improvement in pq did not offset the additional cost of the unit to most consumers.

The issue all Plasma manufacturers will face in the near future is twofold. First, they need to address the brightness difference between plasma and LCD technology. In a side by side comparison, plasma loses every time primarily due to the dirty whites.

The second issue is the need to improve the power consumption of sets, without further degrading the pq. California is contemplating making 1/2 of the current plasma sets illegal, due to their power consumption. Energy costs are going to rise, once the economy recovers a bit - ever hear of "cap & trade"?

In the end, plasma technology needs some improvement to compete. If somebody at Panasonic can figure out how to get the sets to produce a bright, crisp image (competitive with LCD) while not requiring the owner to install his/her own wind farm to power the set, they may have a winner on their hands.

Kuro technology does give some insight into world class pq, but power consumption has become an issue. The AVS thread on the current crop of Panasonic Plasmas having trouble powering up (over 400 posts) shows that Panasonic does not have the issue of supplying power to plasma sets totally figured out. If the fix to this issue ends up using more power, they may find themselves at a dead end with the technology.
post #465 of 2057 Old 11-12-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyargento View Post

TH-42PX80U

Manufactured in July of 2008

I was watching a movie and it just shut off. No surge protector on it, tried it in 2 other outlets. Won't turn on, and there are no blinking LEDs for a code. Do you think it is the power supply? This is the one I ordered:

Model/Part # LSEP1260 (won't let me post a link, you can g00gle that and see the part.

Thanks

Just so everyone knows, it was the power supply. I replaced it myself with a new one I bought on eBay for $85 dollars. Just unscrewed about 20 screws, unplugged a few cables, and reconnected everything. I am relieved because I was worried I would be looking at several hundred in repairs and would have had to buy a new TV.

So if you have a set that doesn't power on with no LEDs at all, odds are it is a power supply part # LSEP1260.
post #466 of 2057 Old 11-14-2009, 05:54 PM

Don't know if this was posted anywhere else so I'll post my findings.

Tested 4 nvidia cards and 3 ati.

All 4 nvidia's had the blinking power problem unless hooked up to hdmi 3 (front panel port)

The ati cards had no problems in any ports.

I tested all 7 cards with dvi and those that had hdmi ports I also tested that. It made no difference whether the tv was connected via hdmi or dvi. The failure is caused by nvidia cards.

Each of the 7 cards were of diff model ranging from the lowest end on up to the highest end. Hope this helps people out.
post #467 of 2057 Old 11-14-2009, 06:22 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gahz View Post

Don't know if this was posted anywhere else so I'll post my findings.

Tested 4 nvidia cards and 3 ati.

All 4 nvidia's had the blinking power problem unless hooked up to hdmi 3 (front panel port)

The ati cards had no problems in any ports.

I tested all 7 cards with dvi and those that had hdmi ports I also tested that. It made no difference whether the tv was connected via hdmi or dvi. The failure is caused by nvidia cards.

Each of the 7 cards were of diff model ranging from the lowest end on up to the highest end. Hope this helps people out.

What is the model number of the TV you tested all these video cards on?

Randy
post #468 of 2057 Old 11-14-2009, 11:39 PM

sorry i dont know offhand what model number is. it's a 50" 720p plasma that's about a year and a half old if that helps out. 2 hdmi in the back and 1 in the front.

one last thing, i didnt try any onboard vid cards
post #469 of 2057 Old 11-16-2009, 03:54 PM

I would like to know what the 7 blinks mean exactly, have read several excuses.
Heres my paltry dilemma....
42PZ80U, when i received it, was doing this, Powers on, the screen initally looks good to come on but would fade within seconds, but still some light. No functions, audio, or pic, P-supply stays on, fans run.

Was told possible logic or (D) board (mounted under "A" board), and if i was to disconnect the D5 cable that connects the 2 boards, should get a nice bright white raster.

Well I do, nice and bright full screen white light....lol
OK< convinced it was the D board, I found one on ebay used, but guaranteed, for a grand total of 40$(Product+S+H)....I get the board in today(Mon), I replaced the old one.

Now, I get nothing but a repeating 7 blinks of the front LED, Power supply kiks on normally, then after a few seconds, off again.

If i put back in the Original D board, P_supply STAYS ON, and once again, disconnecting D5 will produce a full white raster.

Now can anybody here tell me that the board i ordered is bad???....have 14 days to return, and I just want the friggin TV on, no money back wanted, I see he has more of these for sale.

OR, can somebody tell me if I'm even barking up the right tree???
Thank you oh great intelligent ones!!.....seriously!!
post #470 of 2057 Old 11-16-2009, 05:09 PM

I found this link has great detail of trouble shooting steps even for a different Panasonic model. Mine has 8 blinks and the service technician confirmed as exactly indicated in this link. Hopefully this does some help. Still waiting for the back ordered SS board.

http://www.fixya.com/support/p504987...l-34347/page-6
post #471 of 2057 Old 11-16-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nychang View Post

I found this link has great detail of trouble shooting steps even for a different Panasonic model. Mine has 8 blinks and the service technician confirmed as exactly indicated in this link. Hopefully this does some help. Still waiting for the back ordered SS board.

http://www.fixya.com/support/p504987...l-34347/page-6

very nice nychang...thanx for the link
post #472 of 2057 Old 11-24-2009, 08:19 AM

Sadness. Add me to the list.

My TH-42PH9UK 42" was going along just fine for over 2 years, then this weekend a flicker and the screen died, leaving me with darkness and 7 blinks.

Luckily I bought it from Visual Apex which included the 5 year warranty. I called the concierge and they were nice but needed my customer care number which I didn't have, so I called the customer care department and left a message. To my surprise I got a call back within the hour with my number and confirmation of my 5 year warranty.

I called back the concierge department and got a total jerk. First he tries running me through some nonsensical troubleshooting (try a different outlet, ok try another one, ok, try one not in your house. SERIOUSLY???) Next he tries to give me the phone number of some repair shop to set it up myself. I argue with him for a few minutes and tell him I was supposed to call back with my warranty number. He says, "Uhhh, there's no way your set is still under warranty, so we can't help you." I tell him I have verified 5 year coverage until 2011. He says, "Oh, well, call the company you bought it from." Finally, I say either he takes my warranty number and sets up an appointment, or he puts his manager on the phone.

Finally he transfers me to Karen, who very politely sets up a tech to come out Monday morning. Minus that one jerk, it's been a good experience so far, assuming they fix the thing.
post #473 of 2057 Old 11-24-2009, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCDeac View Post

Sadness. Add me to the list.

My TH-42PH9UK 42" was going along just fine for over 2 years, then this weekend a flicker and the screen died, leaving me with darkness and 7 blinks.

Luckily I bought it from Visual Apex which included the 5 year warranty. I called the concierge and they were nice but needed my customer care number which I didn't have, so I called the customer care department and left a message. To my surprise I got a call back within the hour with my number and confirmation of my 5 year warranty.

I called back the concierge department and got a total jerk. First he tries running me through some nonsensical troubleshooting (try a different outlet, ok try another one, ok, try one not in your house. SERIOUSLY???) Next he tries to give me the phone number of some repair shop to set it up myself. I argue with him for a few minutes and tell him I was supposed to call back with my warranty number. He says, "Uhhh, there's no way your set is still under warranty, so we can't help you." I tell him I have verified 5 year coverage until 2011. He says, "Oh, well, call the company you bought it from." Finally, I say either he takes my warranty number and sets up an appointment, or he puts his manager on the phone.

Finally he transfers me to Karen, who very politely sets up a tech to come out Monday morning. Minus that one jerk, it's been a good experience so far, assuming they fix the thing.

Interesting how all companies have some support people that know absolutely nothing, but try to give the impresssion that they know everything.

In most cases, this results in their phone staying busy as they bs you, minimizing the number of calls they have to take in a shift. If they can transfer the effort to the customer - like scheduling your own appointments - it also lessens the work they actually have to do.
post #474 of 2057 Old 11-24-2009, 08:40 PM

I have read many of these red led problems, but I am not sure which Panny size and models are involved.
Can someone point to where I can find this info !
Thanks

From what I have read, it seems to me that most of these problems arise with users that have more than 1 HDMI cable/source connected to their tv. Is that a correct assumption ?
post #475 of 2057 Old 12-04-2009, 06:45 PM

My Panasonic is now having the dreaded 7 blink shut off issue. Luckily it is not continuous- I can pull the plug and let it sit and it will eventually start working again.

Its a TH-42PX80U bought in July 2008 at CC (with a CC credit cart). It was manufactured in April 2008.

So I think I'm going to try to fix it myself rather than pay $200 in labor on top of the parts. I repair Apple computers as my day job, from iMacs to MacBook Pros, and I've found some nice repair guides online (even though they are for an earlier model).

Here and here

I've also found some parts pretty cheap here

Before I do I'm still going to call Panny and complain and probably check with Chase to see if they offer the extended warranty.

We'll see.
post #476 of 2057 Old 12-09-2009, 08:18 PM

Sooo my TH-42PX75U that I bought from Sears in December 2007, died tonight :-(

Was watching Family Guy (haha), and all of a sudden - nothing. No warning, no noises, just OFF.

Tried to turn back on and I got the dreaded 7 blinks. Unplugged for 5 minutes, same results. Pressed and held the power button, no luck either.

Found several power boards on the web. How can I be sure this is the problem?

Also, can somebody provide some tips on replacing the power board?
post #477 of 2057 Old 12-09-2009, 08:36 PM

Blown circuit in my living room, seemingly for no reason. I flip the breaker and everything comes back on except my Panasonic TH-C50HD18 (Costco's equivalent of the TH-50PX80U). No blinking LED, nothing. The TV was plugged into a surge protector, which is still working. Tried plugging the TV directly into the wall, and nothing. Tried a different power cable, nothing.

I'm thinking its a blown fuse perhaps? It was purchased at Costco at Christmas time last year, so maybe it's under Panny's limited warranty still (is it one year)? Or do you think I can take it back to Costco? Help!
post #478 of 2057 Old 12-09-2009, 08:41 PM

If you dont have your original receipt (cant find the stupid thing ANYWHERE!), will Panasonic still cover the SC board under 'extended' warranty?
post #479 of 2057 Old 12-09-2009, 10:24 PM

Liked: 27
My TH-42PZ77U just developed the 7 blink power light. Tried unplugging and switching outlet but tv does not turn on. Tv is just at the 2 yr mark. I called Panny and they gave me the # of a repair shop and said to call them and get an estimate. I don't think I called the Consierge #, just regular cust. service. Is Panny supposed to set up an appointment and is there a charge for the estimate?
post #480 of 2057 Old 12-10-2009, 04:52 PM

UPDATE:

Called Panasonic today... opened a case. Received a number to a local repair shop, and will be bringing the TV in tomorrow for an 'evaluation'. This will cost me $50.

So Im paying the TV shop to plug in the tv to the wall, press the power button, watch the little itty bitty red LED power light blink 7 times, and hand me a $50 bill to say "yup! Sure does have a problem, doesnt it?"

Anyways, I called Panasonic back and told them that Im not carting a 42" TV all around town for them to not to man up and stand behind their product. They've got to be friggin nuts if they think Im stupid. I asked the guy what he 'thinks' will happen, seeing that I bought this TV in November of 2007. He said "Well, I cant say... every case is different, but what I can say... how can I say this... well, my Manager is very fair and if there is a recurring problem, they will do everything to make sure the problem is resolved".

I told him Im buying what hes selling, and in my interpretation, I read that as they know what the problem is and will be covering some, if not all, of the repair bill.

More updates to come soon!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page