Master thread for Panasonic plasma not turning on - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 2114 Old 01-13-2010, 07:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My Panasonic Plasma 42" blinks red if my MacMini is not off or in sleep mode.

It's plugged in to the Panasonic thru an HDMI adapter.

It's kind of annoying to have to sleep the MacMini every time since it's my media server and I'd like to keep it running for off-hours downloading, etc.

Any suggestions on how to address this?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 2114 Old 01-13-2010, 07:31 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by schwachs View Post

My Panasonic Plasma 42" blinks red if my MacMini is not off or in sleep mode. It's plugged in to the Panasonic thru an HDMI adapter. It's kind of annoying to have to sleep the MacMini every time since it's my media server and I'd like to keep it running for off-hours downloading, etc. Any suggestions on how to address this?

First off you HAVE to include the model number of the TV when asking questions about it.

Which HDMI port on the TV do you have the Mac Mini connected to? Rear? Front? Side?

How many times does the red light blink before it pauses and starts over?

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gallery -
post #543 of 2114 Old 01-13-2010, 08:22 AM

Doh, sorry about that...

Panasonic Model # TH-42PZ80U

It's 3 red blinks. And it's in the HDMI 1 port in the back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

First off you HAVE to include the model number of the TV when asking questions about it.

Which HDMI port on the TV do you have the Mac Mini connected to? Rear? Front? Side?

How many times does the red light blink before it pauses and starts over?

post #544 of 2114 Old 01-13-2010, 10:15 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:

Doh, sorry about that... Panasonic Model # TH-42PZ80U...It's 3 red blinks. And it's in the HDMI 1 port in the back.

Ah, then connect the Mac to the HDMI 3 port on the front and see if that works. The rear HDMI ports on some of the older Panasonics are not compatible with some video cards, while the front port is.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

Gallery -
post #545 of 2114 Old 01-13-2010, 10:46 AM

awesome. i will try that tonight!
post #546 of 2114 Old 01-13-2010, 11:47 AM

I thought I'd chime in to say that Sean's advice from a few days ago made it easy to diagnose my TH-42PZ700U with the 7 blinks problem. As it turns out, I had a shorted transistor in the same cluster of transistors that he did. I followed his excellent troubleshooting steps and found that the 4th transistor (rather than the 1st as he had found) was shorting. I've ordered a replacement transistor, but in the meantime I did find that simply removing the bad transistor actually solved the problem (though I know I'll likely have another blown transistor if I don't replace the original one soon).

Many thanks to Sean. Very helpful information for anyone in a situation like mine where Panasonic would not replace my SC board, and I didn't want to fork over $200 for a new board.

Aaron
post #547 of 2114 Old 01-13-2010, 07:43 PM

I am extremely happy with the customer service from Panasonic. I called and explained the problem. I was told that a manager would review and someone would call me in 2-3 business days to decide if they'd cover it under warranty. I didn't hear back in 3 days, so called them on day 4 and the guy who answered took a look at the case # and said 'I don't see why we have to wait, everything here looks fine'. He had a repair guy out today who replaced the "SC Board" according to this work order and the guy even hooked everything back up (and I had some very short cables and a tight fit for all my components). He apparently did some sort of firmware update as well (I'm guessing, I wasn't here, just based on what my wife told me when she called looking for the TV remote).

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr View Post

Sigh... one more TH-42PZ77U with 7 blinks.

Purchased it from Best Buy on 11/16/07, it was working fine this morning. A bit ago I turned on my receiver, PS3 and TV (I believe in that order) and there was no picture. I noticed the blinking LED and couldn't "shut off" the set, so unplugged it for a few minutes, plugged back in, and same thing, so I googled and found this thread.

Mfg date is Aug 2007. Hard to imagine with so many people having this problem, Panasonic is going to stick by their warranty schedule. Well, not really, customer service is an afterthought these days. I'm not much of an electronics guy, I'm good at pulling stuff apart though, so will read up on this in here and see if I can come up with some solution to repair this for a reasonable cost. My kids (who get 1 hour of TV a day) are of course freaking out. Time to pull an old 27" set out of the basement and find non-HDMI cables for everything.

post #548 of 2114 Old 01-13-2010, 08:20 PM

[posted elsewhere]
post #549 of 2114 Old 01-14-2010, 09:11 PM

Is there a service guide for the TH-42PX600U? I got my response back from panasonic and I'm outta luck. I guess I will go ahead and test things to find my problem. I've searched the forums but maybe I missed it if it was posted?
Thanks!
post #550 of 2114 Old 01-15-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:

Ah, then connect the Mac to the HDMI 3 port on the front and see if that works. The rear HDMI ports on some of the older Panasonics are not compatible with some video cards, while the front port is.

Randy -

I posted this earlier but thought maybe it got lost in the fray...

Is this a defect that they'll fixed or "just the way it works"?

Thanks
post #551 of 2114 Old 01-15-2010, 05:02 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:

Randy - Is this a defect that they'll fixed or "just the way it works"?

It's not a defect - the rear HDMI ports are designed to be used with standard external devices such as DVD players and cable and satellite STBs which all provide a certain type of signal that is widely recognized by consumer TVs. The problem is caused by some video cards that for whatever reason don't output this signal.

Randy

Gallery -
post #552 of 2114 Old 01-15-2010, 06:55 PM

Quote:

It's not a defect - the rear HDMI ports are designed to be used with standard external devices such as DVD players and cable and satellite STBs which all provide a certain type of signal that is widely recognized by consumer TVs. The problem is caused by some video cards that for whatever reason don't output this signal.

Randy... thanks for the reply...

This is interesting. Is there any box/switch/gizmo I can put inbtwn the Mini and the TV that would address this issue?

Thanks again for your help.
post #553 of 2114 Old 01-15-2010, 07:36 PM

Hi everyone! Hoping someone might be able to help me out a bit. I'm trying to repair a TH-42PX60U that just stopped working. It wouldn't power on at all. I opened the rear cover and saw there were a couple fuses so I tested them and sure enough, there was no continuity. I ordered some spares and installed them and now I there is power but it still won't turn on. I hear a relay click when I plug it in, but the relay immediately clicks back off (I assume some sort of a safety mechanism if a fault is detected). The power LED is also blinking 10 times now. As I understand it, its an unknown error but I'm hoping the blown fuses might be a clue as noone else seems to have had the same issue in this thread. I'm fairly comfortable with testing and repairing circuits, but I don't have any kind of a flow chart to work with. Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA.
post #554 of 2114 Old 01-15-2010, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Randy... thanks for the reply...

This is interesting. Is there any box/switch/gizmo I can put inbtwn the Mini and the TV that would address this issue?

Thanks again for your help.

There are HDMI "splitters" or "repeaters" that can be placed in the chain before one of the rear inputs.
Search "10 Blink shutdown" in this forum for those that have solved this with a workaround.
Monoprice has a nice "pro" HDMI splitter that should work, but it's a bit expensive.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...mat=4#feedback

TW

Techniwizard posts as an Independent Servicer
post #555 of 2114 Old 01-15-2010, 11:50 PM

I have a TH-50PZ80U, wasn't turning on and the power light blinking 2 times at one point it was blinking or 10, not sure which code started first as I wasn't paying attention then.

Read this thread which linked to Panasonic Blinking Power light of Death and it mentioned not using a power strip and plug directly into wall. I did that and it fixed my problem for a couple hours so far.

Is this a sign of something degrading in the TV, leading to an eventual failure or is it likely the surge protector, my gut says surge protector but would like opinions because warranty on TV runs out next month.
Thanks!
post #556 of 2114 Old 01-15-2010, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockker View Post

I have a TH-50PZ80U, wasn't turning on and the power light blinking 2 times at one point it was blinking or 10, not sure which code started first as I wasn't paying attention then.

Read this thread which linked to and it mentioned not using a power strip and plug directly into wall. I did that and it fixed my problem for a couple hours so far.

Is this a sign of something degrading in the TV, leading to an eventual failure or is it likely the surge protector, my gut says surge protector but would like opinions because warranty on TV runs out next month.
Thanks!

No sure, but it might be worth it to call the Panasonic Concierge service & ask how much they want for an extended warranty - they should sell it to you since yours hasn't expired yet.
post #557 of 2114 Old 01-16-2010, 10:31 AM

I just removed the back cover off my tv. I want to post a link to the album of pictures I created. Maybe it will help someone, maybe not.

http://s201.photobucket.com/albums/a...six/panasonic/

****please disregard any and all dust you may encounter in these pictures. :-) ****
post #558 of 2114 Old 01-16-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shocktrp View Post

No sure, but it might be worth it to call the Panasonic Concierge service & ask how much they want for an extended warranty - they should sell it to you since yours hasn't expired yet.

Thanks shocktrp,

I called the Panasonic Concierge service and they took my info and gave me a case number. They also had me plug it back into the surge protector. It works for now, they said to try for a week in the surge protector see what happens. My problem is reported and if something happens after the warranty ends next month I'll be covered.

They also gave me the number for their Customer Care Plan (800-637-2007), I will call on Monday to see what extending the warranty costs.

Edit: 01/18 Acting up again (2 blinks) while on surge protector swapping back to wall plug and it works, let it go like this for a few days to see what happens.

Edit: 01/19 Now it won't power up at all, getting the 2 blink code, GS is coming in 2 days to look at it.

Edit: 01/20 Will power up if i let it cool for a 2 - 3 hours, so seems to be heat related. GS Tech was here, he called Panasonic, may be power supply related, he will order one, let me know when it comes in.

Edit: 01/30 GS replaced power supply board - the caps were bulged a bit on the original so it was bad, however still won't power on. Power LED now blinks 10 times.

Edit: 02/03 The saga continues....GS tech came again today, this time with Panasonic troubleshooting guide. GS Tech followed the troubleshooting guide, he found the newly replaced power supply board was DOA, so he replaced with the old one, (the one with bulging caps), now blinking 2 times and won't power on at all.

Edit: 02/04 GS Tech emailed me the troubleshooting guide for Panasonic TH-nnPZ8XU, if you want it, pm me. Not sure about posting the thing here.

Edit 02/10 TV Fixed - Panasonic advised the GS Tech to replace the Power Supply board again, as they said they had seen my errors before.
Took 3 weeks and 4 visits by the GS Tech. Had the first Panasonic Power Supply not been DOA my problem would have been solved several weeks ago.
GS Tech was OK, however I had to call GS 800 number to get status on parts shipment and GS house calls, GS Tech was not good at scheduling his visits.
BTW - GS Tech measured the Vsus and Ve volts, both matched exactly the specs printed on the chassis label, no adjustment was necessary.
post #559 of 2114 Old 01-16-2010, 01:18 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:

Randy... thanks for the reply...This is interesting. Is there any box/switch/gizmo I can put inbtwn the Mini and the TV that would address this issue? Thanks again for your help.

So does your TV work ok when you plug the Mac into the front HDMI port instead of the rear ports?

If so, then pick up a cheap HDMI Extender from someplace like Monoprice (go back to about page 3 of this thread and start to read other's PC to Rear HDMI experiences starting wtih post #98 in this thread. For a while, Panasonic was giving the extenders for free to rectify the issue

Randy

Gallery -
post #560 of 2114 Old 01-16-2010, 01:33 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumpysix View Post

yeah its a long shot at best for the repair bill. I sent an email to them just in case. You would think that since it is has a history of these problems, there would have been some sort of recall. I can see maybe a few dozen where they would not fix, but after finding out how many there actually are, its a little aggrevating. I may hold on to it and do some investigating myself.

OMG those fans are clogged with caked-on dust and the rest of the interior of that TV is filthy!! It's no wonder the TV stopped working - they're not designed to be subjected to this kind of environment. That's the most disgusting flat panel i've ever seen by a mile.

The first thing i would do is thoroughly clean those fans and gently blow the dust and dirt and crap from the rest of the components. If any of the fans slow down or stop the TV will shut down - maybe this is your problem. And excessive dust can be conductive - it's possible that it shorted out a circuit.

Randy

Gallery -
post #561 of 2114 Old 01-16-2010, 01:37 PM

well I have started cleaning everything. my intentions are to get this tv working. I bet 98% of tv's in the country are filled with dust. how many people actually open up their tv and get the dust out. I'm on it....
post #562 of 2114 Old 01-16-2010, 02:41 PM

OK, so I've got my 13-blink problem narrowed down to this. When I unplug this connector with the red wires, the screen powers up (blank white screen). When I plug it back in I get the same 13-blink error.

So far I've been told my problem is the "A" board & I've been told it's the "DG" board.

The red wires go to another board behind the one pictured (I haven't taken the TV down that far yet).

Anybody have any ideas as to which board is bad (before I start buying replacements)?
post #563 of 2114 Old 01-16-2010, 03:48 PM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

OMG those fans are clogged with caked-on dust and the rest of the interior of that TV is filthy!! It's no wonder the TV stopped working - they're not designed to be subjected to this kind of environment.

Is that the first plasma prototype from 1964?
It sure looks like it has been in service since then.
post #564 of 2114 Old 01-16-2010, 03:54 PM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Quote:

well I have started cleaning everything. my intentions are to get this tv working. I bet 98% of tv's in the country are filled with dust. how many people actually open up their tv and get the dust out. I'm on it....

Dust, yes; anything like that, doubtful it is anywhere near 98% of TVs. A few people have posted interior photos of plasmas they had had for awhile, and they weren't anything like that.

I wonder why the plasma got so dusty?

I guess you will be checking the TV periodically from now on, to see if it needs dusting.
post #565 of 2114 Old 01-16-2010, 04:52 PM

maybe 98% is pushing it, I don't have exact numbers. I'm sure most do not open their tv to clean dust out.
post #566 of 2114 Old 01-17-2010, 03:29 AM

Same here with a 37PX60U. I've replaced the power supply board, no luck. I'm replacing the H board next. Will let you know how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKwik240 View Post

Hi everyone! Hoping someone might be able to help me out a bit. I'm trying to repair a TH-42PX60U that just stopped working. It wouldn't power on at all. I opened the rear cover and saw there were a couple fuses so I tested them and sure enough, there was no continuity. I ordered some spares and installed them and now I there is power but it still won't turn on. I hear a relay click when I plug it in, but the relay immediately clicks back off (I assume some sort of a safety mechanism if a fault is detected). The power LED is also blinking 10 times now. As I understand it, its an unknown error but I'm hoping the blown fuses might be a clue as noone else seems to have had the same issue in this thread. I'm fairly comfortable with testing and repairing circuits, but I don't have any kind of a flow chart to work with. Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

post #567 of 2114 Old 01-17-2010, 11:30 AM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Quote:

maybe 98% is pushing it, I don't have exact numbers. I'm sure most do not open their tv to clean dust out.

Sure, but how many could possibly be getting that dusty, as to cause failure?

Very few; the reason being, Panasonic has one of the lowest failure rates in the industry, ~2%, and I don't recall anyone on AVS reporting a tech. saying a failure was because of dust, (though I might have missed it, still it must be quite rare.) So, it it has to be a small fraction of 2% that get damaged by excessive dust.

My point is not to criticize, it is just to echo what Mr. Walters said, that the amount of dust is very unusual, and also to find out what it is about your plasma's environment that caused that much dust?
post #568 of 2114 Old 01-18-2010, 11:06 AM

anyone have the contact info for the executive office or whom to write a complaint letter to?
post #569 of 2114 Old 01-18-2010, 02:25 PM

Here is another horror story. I bought the Panasonic plasma TH42-PX80U in August of 2008. It died on me November 1,2009. No power. No LED light. Nothing at all. I brought it to the repair shop on Nov 10. Paid 79.00 just for them to take a look at it. It took until Nov. 20th before I found out it needed a new power board .Total cost would be 336.00. Reasonable I thought. I hear nothing from them so I call on Dec 11th. They said they were still working on it. I get a call on Dec. 23rd. Now they tell me it needs an additional part and the total cost is over 700.00. Needless to say I was not happy. I have heard nothing from them since that day. 10 weeks and counting. Pathetic.
post #570 of 2114 Old 01-18-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRXRAY55 View Post

Here is another horror story. I bought the Panasonic plasma TH42-PX80U in August of 2008. It died on me November 1,2009. No power. No LED light. Nothing at all. I brought it to the repair shop on Nov 10. Paid 79.00 just for them to take a look at it. It took until Nov. 20th before I found out it needed a new power board .Total cost would be 336.00. Reasonable I thought. I hear nothing from them so I call on Dec 11th. They said they were still working on it. I get a call on Dec. 23rd. Now they tell me it needs an additional part and the total cost is over 700.00. Needless to say I was not happy. I have heard nothing from them since that day. 10 weeks and counting. Pathetic.

Tell them you want your TV back as is (unrepaired).

You can get a new 42" 720p for $579 at Sears. Target & a few others are advertising them for $599.

You can sell yours for parts and recoup a little of your money.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic

User Tag List
TW2005

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page