post #631 of 2045 Old 04-09-2010, 10:17 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcg_999 View Post

Purchased my TC-P50G10 from Amazon in July of 09'. Was very happy with the set until about two weeks ago.
It was intermittently giving the 11 blinks error.
To get it to work, I had to unplug from the wall until blinking stopped.
Did this once every few days, then once a day, then a few times a day.
Now I have no TV. Still under 12 month mfg warranty.
Repair place said the parts were on back-order till May!!

This started being a problem shortly after updating the firmware.
Could the two be related?

Did you update the firmware via the SD card slot? Or did you update the software via Viera Cast? What version of firmware or software did you apply?

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 2045 Old 04-09-2010, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Did you update the firmware via the SD card slot? Or did you update the software via Viera Cast? What version of firmware or software did you apply?

The TV did an automatic update. I have it connected to the internet via ethernet cable. I.\\'m not sure what version it updated to. I have done nothing via SD card. It may have been just the newest version of Viera Cast, but I'm pretty sure I remember it doing both updates.
post #633 of 2045 Old 04-15-2010, 03:34 PM

So last night my tv went into a comma with a 7 blink code.

called Panasonic Canada and there useless as its out of warranty and say my model doesn't qualify for the extended warranty, crap.

Called the local repair man they suggested. Wanted 150 to just look at it and said labor would be 150 + 400 for the part. HAH i can buy a 50" for that much!

So reading this thread im going to give it a shot at repairing it myself.

Got the service manual off the net and plan to disassemble it tonight.

Does anyone know a good place to buy the board parts in Canada (or online) for a reasonable price?
post #634 of 2045 Old 04-15-2010, 06:09 PM

OK one more question.

When i unplug the SC board and turn it back on am i supposed to get a white screen? or just no display but the red light stays on?

thanks
post #635 of 2045 Old 04-18-2010, 06:25 AM

I have a 10 blink problem. Below is the system setup. I've read the 10-blink can be multiple issues, and from my debugging I think I may have multiple problems. Here's my setup:

2 Sources: DirectTv HD-DVR HDMI , PS3 HDMI

AVR: Onkyo TX-SR605. (NOTE: THIS MODEL HAS KNOWN ISSUES WITH THE HDMI BOARD)
Inputs: HDMI 1 input from DirectTV unit, HDMI 2 input from PS3.
Outputs: 7.1 speakers. HDMI output to Panasonic Plasma

TV: Panasonic Viera TH-50PZ85U. Input: HDMI 1 from the Onkyo. Speakers off.

Okay, here's the issue. Had no problems up to the last week. I recently added the PS3 about 2 months ago. I run the DirectTV box at 1080i, and the PS3 at 1080p. Earlier this week, I had been using the PS3 and when I finished, I turned off the TV and the PS3. I usually leave the AVR on at all times. When I turned the TV back on - the dreaded 10 blinking lights syndrome!

Problem: 10 blinking lights. I contacted Panasonic - they said it was either an unrecognized HDMI signal or an issue with the power source. Disconnecting HDMI alone and turning on/off the TV did not help. ONLY disconnecting HDMI, turning off the AVR, and disconnecting power to the TV for a few minutes worked.

This did fine up until yesterday when it happened two more times. This time, I had to disconnect the TV for a longer period of time. Seems to happen each time after using the PS3. Also, when the game loads on the PS3, the Onkyo switches between different multichannel HDMI and direct HDMI modes 3 or 4 times. Video signal comes through, but it's almost like it can't decide between the HDMI audio input. May be completely unrelated.

So after reading the 200+ posts on this problem on this site, I figured perhaps the PS3 is acting like the HTPC were. I bought an extended adapter and also plugged into the HDMI 3 port on the side. No dice.

Next, I decided to eliminate as many variables as possible, so I disconnected EVERYTHING (including the Wii component video cables to the TV) so that just the power cord was plugged in. Turned off the TV for 2-3 minutes, then powered on. The TV worked. I turned it off after 5-10 seconds and turned it on again - 10 blinks. Let it cool unplugged for 2-3 min, it turns on again.

Do I have multiple issues here?
1. It seems like a cooldown problem with the power board if I can't turn the TV on and off quickly.
2. The HDMI thing may be real as I seem to always get 10 blinks if I turn the AVR on BEFORE the TV. The TV works more often if I turn the TV on first then the AVR.

Panasonic concierge quietly listened to me vent about this. They are paying for the tech to come out this week (even though I'm out of warranty). I am fairly comfortable replacing boards myself (computer engineering degree from the late 1990's) but a little concerned about screwing up the TV and/or shocking myself.

Please let me know if you can help or had similar issues with a 50PZ85U.
post #636 of 2045 Old 04-19-2010, 09:20 PM

I have read all the responses to this thread thread. It seems that we all have spent good money on a product that we thought would last us a good many years. My Panasonic has recently developed the "two blinking lights" problem when trying to turn it back on. If I hold the power button in while it's blinking twice until the blinking stops, then release the power button, I get ten blinks.

I have of course phoned Panasonic and they gave me a local dealers number to call. I live on an island and the repair guy's shop is across the bay. I mentioned that because of all the problems their TVS seem to be exhibiting, and even though my panny is out of warranty(by only 4 months) that maybe they would extend their warranty and get my TV fixed. They said to have the service guy come out and do an evaluation only and to get a copy of what the repair would cost. Then send it via fax to Panasonic, attention team 8, with my case # on it. Well, the service guy said he wasn't authorized to do this as he would have to come by ferry to the island and it would be an all day service call. I called Panasonic back and they tried to reach the technician, but was unable to until today. I was then told that since the TV was out of warranty, there was nothing they could do. After pleading my case about all the problems their TVS have been having and my disappointment in having spent a good deal of cash just to have the damn thing quit on me a mere sixteen months after purchase, they said to fax my invoice to "Team 8" with my case # and they would contact me.

I will await their reply, but in the mean time I would like to know how many of you have had problems with your TVS just out of warranty and what, if anything, Panasonic did for you. Extend your warranty? Meet you halfway on repair bill? Or tell you take a long walk off a short pier?
post #637 of 2045 Old 04-19-2010, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Moon,

I feel for you but you really have to figure being on a freakin island is no incentive for a service guy to give up a whole day on a possible warranty job.
A 12 month warranty means 12 months maybe 13 or 14 but c'mon already.
With service contracts so cheap these days, it is worth the peace of mind and you would not be going through the mess you are now.

Forgive the harsh tone but you do know we are in shaky economic times right ? The service guy needs to make $$$ to feed his kids. Who's gonna feed them if he takes a whole day to estimate your unit ?

And you could always take it to him right ? It has to come off the wall anyway as it is serviced from the rear, and the warranty does not cover unit dismounting.

Failures do happen, 2 blinks can be caused by many things. I've heard this type of story too many times and it's always the same woe is me. Does your car dealer fix every flat tire you get ?

Climbing down from soapbox now. Apologies for any ruffled feathers.

T. Wiz

Techniwizard posts as an Independent Servicer
post #638 of 2045 Old 04-22-2010, 06:58 AM

so i bougth a new SC board off ebay and installed it and i still get 7 blinks...

Does this mean the board i bought off ebay is bad as well?
post #639 of 2045 Old 04-24-2010, 01:04 PM

Tech came out today after the TV finally gave in. I added the extender/equalizer adapter but to no avail. In fact, when debugging it (having the AVR on before turning the TV on) it went to 10 blinks... and even a reset wouldn't start it up. You plug in the power cord, here the relay flip then a second slip as it immediately powered down.

Tech came by and check the 15v from the power board (P6 - pin 7) - no voltage. Diagnosis? Power board is bad. Thought from the tech was that it would turn on before but if the AVR was on and connected via HDMI, the drain was too much and it would switch off and give 10 blinks. Now, the board is completely shot and it doesn't even have the baseline 15v, so it shuts down immediately.

Prices: $264 for the board (ETX2MM704MGL) + $225 labor +$70 service call (todays visit) + $33.50 tax -> $592. Panasonic authorized $156 service call, so that's taken from the total leaving $436. On hold trying to get panasonic to chip in for 1/2 parts and labor too.

Hope this helps anybody else with this problem. This sound legit?
post #640 of 2045 Old 04-27-2010, 03:47 PM

I've got a 54V10 that all of a sudden wont turn on. No red light, no red blinking lights...nothing.
Seems like most people at least get a blinking power light.
I've unplugged everything going to the TV except the power cord and it's plugged into an outlet that works.
The TV is under warranty so I'm not too concerned about it but I'm wondering if anyone else has run into this?
post #641 of 2045 Old 05-02-2010, 12:23 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by splinter1 View Post

I've got a 54V10 that all of a sudden wont turn on. No red light, no red blinking lights...nothing.
Seems like most people at least get a blinking power light.
I've unplugged everything going to the TV except the power cord and it's plugged into an outlet that works.
The TV is under warranty so I'm not too concerned about it but I'm wondering if anyone else has run into this?

Same problem here. I have a 50" TH-50PZ77U. A couple weeks ago it shut off while watching a movie, it wouldn't turn back on until I tried it a couple hours later. Today it wouldn't turn on, then I just tried it again and it worked. I had to push the button on front of the TV first, then used the remote and it turned on. There were no lights blinking though.

post #642 of 2045 Old 05-02-2010, 02:49 PM

Liked: 11
OK, now it is not working again.

Earlier, it wouldn't turn on. I just left for a while, came back and still nothing trying to turn it on with the remote. I hit the button on the TV, I could hear a click, then used the remote and it came on. I had it on for 30 minutes or so and turned it off.

Now I just turned it on again, it came on for a few seconds and shut off. Now it won't come on using the power button on the TV or the remote.

And no lights blinking anywhere either.

post #643 of 2045 Old 05-03-2010, 12:27 PM

So I landed on this thread originally the night I first noticed my Panasonic TH-42PZ700u 1080p plasma was suffering "7 blinks of death." I went ahead and scheduled an in-home visit to "evaluate" (not repair) the TV after fighting with the Panasonic on-line chat application for about 30 minutes. Since I figured at best I'd be looking at a couple hundred in parts and a few weeks without a TV I went out to Best Buy to replace it with a Samsung 50" plasma (the 50" 550c model, which is a fantastic looking set) .

Low and behold this morning my wife gets a call from Panasonic explaining that they have pre-ordered an "SC board" (her words, I hadn't even explained why the TV failed) which 9 times out of 10 will fix this problem. She was also told that even though my set only had a 1 year warranty, Panasonic has extended coverage for this particular issue (my TV is 2 years,4 months old) - thought if the SC board did not work I'd have to pay for the repair.

... not bad, I'm not looking at a fixed TV yet but if the issue is indeed a bad SC board it looks like they are going to take care of the problem after all, 0 cost to me. I guess this is good and bad for me as a) it certainly improves my perspective on Panasonic and their commitment to their products... and b) it means my wife is going to insist I return the 50" Samsung plasma I replaced it with (and have been completely spoiled by after watching Avatar this weekend). Durp.

Anyway, might be some hope for those of you who are seeing the 7 blink issue even with older (2-3 year) Panasonic plasmas if the issue is the SC board and you don't feel like digging around the inside of your TV.
post #644 of 2045 Old 05-03-2010, 12:52 PM

... duplicate post, sorry...
post #645 of 2045 Old 05-04-2010, 03:04 PM

My brother has a th-58px600u. He called me and said the tv turned off by itself. He said there was no blinking lights. would not turn right back on. He waited a while and then was able to turn the tv back on, again played for a while without any issues then out of nowhere turned itself off again. Still no blinking lights. This cycle has been ongoing for the past 2 days. Any help would be great. Thank you
post #646 of 2045 Old 05-13-2010, 09:12 AM

I have a Panasonic TH-50PY85( Brazilian model)
A couple days ago, it didn't work properly, same times when I turn on the TV, it blink the green light several times, the panel light quickly then go back to standby with 6 red blinks. After that I turn off the TV wait 5 min and it turns on normally.
Yesterday the TV turns on normally and after 5 min it turns off with 6 red blinks, I wait 5 min and it didn't turn on anymore. It blink the green light several times, the panel light quickly then go back to standby with 6 red blinks.
This morning I tried again and the same thing. It blink the green light several times, the panel light quickly then go back to standby with 6 red blinks.
post #647 of 2045 Old 05-14-2010, 07:25 AM

A friend has what we THINK is a 50" g20 bought about a year ago. Last night she and her husband were watching a movie and the TV popped loudly. Screen went black and smoke came out of the back. Now the power LED flashes 9 times repeatedly. Just to try and have a bit more info for when the tech comes next week, what do you think? Power board? Video board? I can't seem to find the error code for 9 flashes.

Thanks
Jerry

Jerry
-----
So what?
post #648 of 2045 Old 05-14-2010, 11:07 AM

I turned on the TV holding the power button( reseat), it worked.
I think the problem is solved.
post #649 of 2045 Old 05-14-2010, 11:49 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergiej View Post

A friend has what we THINK is a 50" g20 bought about a year ago. Last night she and her husband were watching a movie and the TV popped loudly. Screen went black and smoke came out of the back. Now the power LED flashes 9 times repeatedly. Just to try and have a bit more info for when the tech comes next week, what do you think? Power board? Video board? I can't seem to find the error code for 9 flashes.

It can't be a G20 as they've only been out for a few months. Maybe a G10?

Whatever happened, it will be obvious to the tech which board is burned

I bet it's the power supply. Power supplies tend to be the most failure ridden component in modern electronic devices, regardless of brand or technology.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
post #650 of 2045 Old 05-20-2010, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xefned View Post

Hi friends, I'm a new buyer considering a Panasonic plasma. This thread has me reconsidering the wisdom of buying a model with such a high failure rate. Not worth the potential headache.

I'd like to assume Panasonic has fixed the problem in newer models. Or am I being overly optimistic? Has anyone here had the blinking light problem with the TC-P42S2 (or any of the S2 series?)

Sorry if this is considered a hijack. I figured this is the best thread to find a lot of people with blinking lights. Thanks.

I just bought a TC-P42S2.

The thing lasted about 2 hours. 10 blinking lights.

Needless to say I am not happy. Obviously I'll deal with it through all the appropriate channels, but it's a hell of a way to make me feel about what, for me, is a big purchase.
post #651 of 2045 Old 05-23-2010, 04:24 PM

I was watching my 2.5 year old TH-42PZ77U this afternoon, and the screen went black and the power light started blinking 10 times. Pulled the power cord and the HDMI and tried turning it back on, same problem.

Service manual says that the 10 blink for my model is the DG board, which I've pulled. I've seen a bunch of trouble shooting flowcharts for other TVs with 10 blinks, but my service manual doesn't have any such flowcharts.

The part number on the board is TNPA4415. Is that it? Do I need the suffix from the board (can't seem to find it). Will any TNPA4415 board work with my TV? I've found a few on eBay, but they're pulls from different models. I just want to be sure it'll work before throwing almost $200 into this TV.
post #652 of 2045 Old 05-24-2010, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffRapp View Post

Service manual says that the 10 blink for my model is the DG board, which I've pulled. I've seen a bunch of trouble shooting flowcharts for other TVs with 10 blinks, but my service manual doesn't have any such flowcharts.

There are a couple of technical guides that could aid you. There could be other problems that might not be the DG board.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/8315148/10...lasma-service-

http://www.tv.quuq.org/forum/index.p...2.0;attach=805

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #653 of 2045 Old 05-25-2010, 06:08 AM

Thanks, tomwil. I found those yesterday and helped a ton after I made the logical leap that my 42pz77u == 42PZ700U. Turns out to be most likely the DG board, but could be the H board - so I ordered both just to be sure.
post #654 of 2045 Old 05-29-2010, 11:18 AM

My TH-46PZ85U started giving me the 10 blink about two months ago, and I thought it was my daughter pushing the button on and off too many times, until I found this thread. I manage to get it to power on by leaving it unplugged for 10 minutes, then plugging it back in. Last night that didn't work, so I let it sit overnight and this morning plugged it in and it worked.

I am 4 months out of the 1 year warranty period. Called Panasonic and they told me they wouldn't extend the warranty on my model. Said I had to get an estimate (paid for out of my pocket), then fax it to them for them to evaluate my case and if they would pay for repair.

I called AmEx as it was urchased with their card, and they offer 1 year extended warranty on top of Manuf. so I am going to pursue that route since I should be assured full coverage.
post #655 of 2045 Old 05-29-2010, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by phd_nick View Post

My TH-46PZ85U started giving me the 10 blink about two months ago, and I thought it was my daughter pushing the button on and off too many times, until I found this thread. I manage to get it to power on by leaving it unplugged for 10 minutes, then plugging it back in. Last night that didn't work, so I let it sit overnight and this morning plugged it in and it worked.

I am 4 months out of the 1 year warranty period. Called Panasonic and they told me they wouldn't extend the warranty on my model. Said I had to get an estimate (paid for out of my pocket), then fax it to them for them to evaluate my case and if they would pay for repair.

I called AmEx as it was urchased with their card, and they offer 1 year extended warranty on top of Manuf. so I am going to pursue that route since I should be assured full coverage.

Do both. With the Amex warranty coverage you'll be assured coverage. If Panasonic comes through with a warranty extension, you can always refund the repair costs to Amex.

I've used the warranty manager feature of my Visa card with excellent results. They will pay up to the cost of the item for repair with just documentation of the costs involved.
post #656 of 2045 Old 05-29-2010, 08:44 PM

Tech did diagnostics,said it was the "A" board most likely after doing what he said was a flowchart of disconnecting and narrowing it down process.

TH50PZ85U
10 BLINKING LIGHTS
AGE = 2YEARS

$50 charge but he is an idependent guy who started is own thing after leaving an authorized dealer.
He said he may not be able to order that board since he isnt authorized anymore.

his total quote was $475 including the $50.
through a dealer it will be much higher because they charge alot more in labor fee's.

My question is can I buy an "A" board online somewhere and what is the part#?

how hard is it to install?

I have to wait till at least tuesday because of Labor day. He told me to call Panasonic custumer relations and they may pay for the part but I will have to pay for the labor. which will be close to $300.

$300 seems really high for what looks like a very simple process.

I thought by reading this thread and forum that the problem was the pboard or power supply board but he said it was the "A" board.

Its been out 3 days now.

Ive installed PC parts before and some older TV boards.So I am not totally sure I need to pay someone $300 to do this.
post #657 of 2045 Old 05-29-2010, 10:16 PM

Great thread. thanks to all the folks from the community for their help, and the pros for really giving us some behind the scenes info.

I have a 4 year old TH-50PX60U. i don't care what the tech support people say, i count 20 blinks, but let's assume that is 10 blinks.

It is pretty unlikely that i'm going to come away with a repair bill under $400, i'm guessing.

Costco sells a 50" Panny plasma for under $800...thinking about just taking that plunge. I'm certainly not spending $3000 on a TV ever again (like i did this one...)
post #658 of 2045 Old 05-30-2010, 11:33 AM

I have found several "A" main boards for my tv.
Question is do the reference numbers have to match?
Mine is MY8037AC
Also the TNPH0721 circle1 A is there on most I saw except a few had circle3.

please if anyone can answer this I will be able to order as soon I get an answer.

Thank You.
post #659 of 2045 Old 05-30-2010, 04:28 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroyc View Post

I have a 4 year old TH-50PX60U. i don't care what the tech support people say, i count 20 blinks, but let's assume that is 10 blinks. It is pretty unlikely that i'm going to come away with a repair bill under $400, i'm guessing.

Costco sells a 50" Panny plasma for under $800...thinking about just taking that plunge. I'm certainly not spending $3000 on a TV ever again (like i did this one...)

Prices are so much cheaper now that $800 Costco Panny will outperform your $3,000 PX60U in every way at about 1/4 the cost. It amazes me how low the prices have become.

Oh and by the way, the in-store price on that 50" Costco Panny X24 is about $687 for the past few weeks (over a hundred less than their online price).

Randy
post #660 of 2045 Old 06-01-2010, 05:17 PM

Well, still no luck. Originally, the flow chart points to the DG board as the culprit. Replaced the DG board and the 10 blink turned into a 10-blink before pressing the power button from a 10-blink after pressing the power button. What a fun distinction that is! Followed the flow charts clear to the end again and it said I needed to replace the H board. Did that, and still having the same issue. Ordered to P board just to cover my bases.

The DG board was from a TH-42PZ80U, but that shouldn't make a difference, right? All the markings and part numbers were identical. The part the bothers me is that replacing the DG board changed the blink code, which again pointed at a faulty DG board.

Did I receive a bad DG board?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page