post #811 of 2043 Old 10-25-2010, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieVT View Post

In late July, we started having problems with our 4 1/2 yo Panasonic Plasma TH -37PX50U (Manufacture date Jan 2006).

It would make the pop, turn off, and then blink the red light 4 times, rinse, repeat. Unplugging and leaving off for a while would enable us to turn it back on, but problem would return.

Info is fairly sparse on this set (at least what is available to the public), but according to this tech guide, page 40, the suspected board is either the P board or the PA board.

Also in that document, pages 46-47 explains the 4x SOS (blink) as a defective voltage detected on the P board.

The service manual is here.

Perhaps an experienced tech with full access to Panasonic docs can better help.

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 2043 Old 10-25-2010, 01:11 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwil View Post

Info is fairly sparse on this set (at least what is available to the public), but according to this tech guide, page 40, the suspected board is either the P board or the PA board.

Also in that document, pages 46-47 explains the 4x SOS (blink) as a defective voltage detected on the P board.

The service manual is here.

Perhaps an experienced tech with full access to Panasonic docs can better help.

Thanks for the links. Agghh. Power boards - probably not worth it. Too bad. Was a nice set while it lasted.
post #813 of 2043 Old 10-26-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieVT View Post

Thanks for the links. Agghh. Power boards - probably not worth it. Too bad. Was a nice set while it lasted.

PA: http://www.tristatemodule.com/p-1430...er-supply.aspx

If yours is the TNPA3570AF, they have them even less expensive:
http://www.tristatemodule.com/p-1432...er-supply.aspx

P: http://www.tristatemodule.com/p-1761...interface.aspx

Plus, 6 month warranties.

Q
post #814 of 2043 Old 11-03-2010, 02:24 PM

I also have the problem of 10 times blinking the led, but when the tv is turned off for quite some time it will ocasionally start up normaly and give a good picture for 5-10 minutes, then it shuts down and the led will start flashing 10 times again.
The plasma is a TH37-PA60
Tried measuring the voltages on the P and PA board but as soon as it shuts down I don't measure anything anymore.

Will this be the P board then?

Thanks
post #815 of 2043 Old 11-03-2010, 04:29 PM

PA SOS - PA board
Tuner SOS - H board.

Service manual:
http://elektrotanya.com/panasonic_ch.../download.html

Sounds like something heats up and fails. If you have a small fan, run the unit until it fails. Then try cooling the PA board with the fan and see if it comes back on faster. If not, then do the same to the H board. The one you cool that makes it come back on faster, is the likely suspect.

When it fails, do you get any relay clicks when you try to turn it on?

Q
post #816 of 2043 Old 11-04-2010, 01:04 AM

Thanks for the quick reply.

I tried disconnecting the H40 connector of the H board and also the connector giving power from the P-board to the PA board, I believe then both boards are disconnected of power and then still the problem occurs. Or can the short still exist in one of the board with the 10 blinking leds as a result although they don't get power.

As soon as it shuts down I don't have the 14v on the P-board
When reconnecting the power I get 14v for about 1-2 seconds on the bridges 83-84 on the P-board.

I will check out the exact clicks and when they happen this afternoon and will post it back here.

It definitely clicks when putting the ac cable in the tv and when powering on.
post #817 of 2043 Old 11-04-2010, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfaessen View Post

I also have the problem of 10 times blinking the led ... The plasma is a TH37-PA60.

This post has two guides that may help.

There was a file from Panasonic named "Plasma_9th_Gen_10_blink.pdf", but I could not find it available on the internet. The closest match I found was here, but it does not appear to be the correct file.

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #818 of 2043 Old 11-04-2010, 07:28 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 431
I have the following file on my computer but it's too big to attach on AVS. It has info on the blinks. Maybe you can find it and download it directly . . . .

Panasonic 9th_Gen_Plasma_Symptoms_and_Cures.pdf

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #819 of 2043 Old 11-04-2010, 02:24 PM

I tried it out this evening again and it looks like the error does not happen when the external DVB-T tuner is disconnected. This one is normally attached with scart and provides a RGB signal to AV1.

I tried an XBOX through Composite to scart and also without problems.

Can it be some kind of signal through the H-board causing the problem.

Strange enough, yesterday I disconnected the H40 connector providing power to the H-board and the problem still happened.
post #820 of 2043 Old 11-05-2010, 11:28 AM

Hi guys. I see the thread is still quite active. So would like to know if someone can help.

I have the TH-42PX60U, quite an old unit, but I would like it not go to waste. It's exhibiting a one blink error and would not turn on (95% of the time). I already have the service manual as well as other technical reference related to this 9th gen panel.

However, the one blink symptom does not actually correspond to anything on the manual. The manual saids it indicates no particular checkpoint. In fact, the one blink sequence I get is not even the same as the one indicated on the manual, the manual says the light should be on for 3 seconds, then off, then on for 3 seconds. But I get the reversed, it comes on briefly, then off for 3 seconds, then on briefly...

Sometimes, the unplug "trick" works and it will come back on after a long period of unplug. Then dies the next time I try to turn it on again.

I have tested the 14V on pin one of the P10 connector on the P-Board, when the panel is not functioning, I don't get a 14V reading. I also hear the relay click when first plugged in. I wait 20 seconds, and try to turn on the unit, I hear the relay once again. The training manual points to the P-board for both of these symptoms, but since I get an "unknown" one blink sequence, I am afraid it might have multiple points of failure.

I am tempted to replace the P-Board, but I would like to be sure that's the culprit, anyone care to share some info? Thanks.
post #821 of 2043 Old 11-10-2010, 05:46 PM

PLASMA FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have the Panasonic TH-50PZ800UA I had the 10 blink code and was able to fix it
Pay attention to the blink code: 7 indicate it may be your SU, SD, SC board or maybe all three. This depends on your model though. Download the service manual for your model. I have done extensive T-shooting with my panny and I originally got the 10 blink code which could be one or more of the Following boards: A, D, P, PB, SC, and sub power supply, SU or SS? Awesome that narrows it down:-(

1- A tech came out and replaced the SC adn PB boards but didn’t resolve the issue still have 10 blinks. After 3 months of waiting for parts from Panny and Poor Tech Service, I was able to settle with my warranty co. I am now t-shooting myself:

Here is what I have done so far:

Replaced P-Board- changed from 10 to 2 blink code which indicates D board. NO fans or Led on circuit boards lit. This Board had a different revision letter; Mine ended in H this one was L. I took a chance and thought it might be interchangeable but they are not! My specific power supply is hard to find online Panny and every other vendor was out of stock!

Replaced A board- no change 2 blinks

Replaced D-Board- No change 2 blinks the board was ordered from eBay, had a different revision ending in AJ mine was BJ. These parts are not interchangeable.

Replaced SUB power supply (mine has 2 power supplies) - No change 2 blinks

* Replaced P-Board again- ordered correct board.....Now showing 7 blinks and the fans are turning on but no pic. Also I have noticed that the SS and SC board green LEDS are lit now. Yeah I'm getting somewhere. C'mon babe!!!!!

Replaced SC board- no change 7 blinks reverted back to old board

Reverted back to my original A-Board no change 7 blinks.

Note*** I have been Following the service manual flowchart and checking voltage and resistance in the proper locations however this method is for t-shooting 1 board does not take into account that multiple boards could be defective. In some cases if your SU or power supply goes they take out other boards.

I have disconnected the SU, SD, the 7 blinks turned solid, then disconnected the SC board same solid light. This indicates that I need to replace either the SU, SD or SS boards> Now I'm getting somewhere.

I will replace thee all 3 boards one at a time to see where the fault is: I have ordered the parts (used). I am waiting for them to arrive. Ultimately it could be the panel, they have IC chips that are not replaceable and the entire screen may need to be replaced. So far I have spent $400.00 on all the boards. If it turns out to be the panel then I will stop there; not cost effective. I will end up selling it off in parts.

I was able to fix the Issue:

Still waiting for parts SU, SD, SS but I decided to take a chance Revert back to original D board- Voila!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The set is working. The board I had ordered had a different revision or was just defective not sure and at this point and don't care.

Recap:
For those of you that are having the issues with the blink codes first check to see if your fans are spinning in the back, also you should see some green leds lite up on the circuit boards SS, SC boards depending on model (you must have the rear panel removed for this). If you don't see fans spinning or leds then most likely it's your Power supply (P-board). Unfortunately as i stated earlier the 10 blink code could mean many different boards. After I replaced the P board I got 2 then 7 blinks, which told me another board was bad.

In the end it turned out to be the P-Board, and a incorrect or defective D board made it go to 7 blinks.

When I went through the Service Manual it said that it could be SU, SD, SC boards????

I can see why it can take tech 3 or 4 visits to fix theses Plasmas. The service manual is only one tool and should not be completely relied on. I have spent $400 in used parts i could probably return most of them and it would only have cost me $150 for the p-board, but i think I will hold on to the parts for future issues.

FYI, It’s not hard to replace the boards just make sure you unplug the TV and let it sit for 15 or 30 min for the capacitors to drain. If you know how to use a multimeter then you’re all set. Also download the service Manual and Tech Guide they give you valuable info on adjusting or checking Voltage after the new boards are installed.

Tip... when ordering parts get the part number off the part do not go by the TV model. In my case I have the TH-50PZ800U however it is actually TH-50PZ800UA which for some reason uses different circuit boards A, D, SU, P are not interchangeable.

Hope this helps everyone
Good Luck to all
post #822 of 2043 Old 11-10-2010, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post
I have the following file on my computer but it's too big to attach on AVS. It has info on the blinks. Maybe you can find it and download it directly . . . .

Panasonic 9th_Gen_Plasma_Symptoms_and_Cures.pdf
I suggested a good friend buy a Panny plasma about 5 months ago. Not sure of the model number but I think it's a 54 inch S-1 model. BIG MISTAKE. The set fails to turn on and the blinking pattern indicates a failed power supply. I thought no big deal..easy to fix. The repair center ordered parts based on his description of the blinking lights, and said they would fix it in 3 or 4 days. Well 2 weeks later they still have no parts to fix it! Panasonic service has treated my friend like crap. They don't even return calls after they promise to. I am shocked that such a major company can't repair a recent model in a timely fashion. How long will this go on? How can Panasonic have no parts to fix these? Consumer Reports latest survey shows flat panel tvs' including Pannys to be very reliable products as a whole with 5% or lower failure rates in the first 3 years of use, but if you get one that breaks I guess you are screwed. Customer service is just unbelieavable these days. With worldwide overnight shipping, and modern communications how can service be so bad??? Sadly, I have a feeling things would be similar no matter what brand!
post #823 of 2043 Old 11-11-2010, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluggy68 View Post

PLASMA FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations on repairing your TV, and sharing it with us.

Because plasmas are so complex, sometimes the service manual is not enough. Panasonic has put out troubleshooting guides to help their technicians solve problems.

A troubleshooting guide for your set is available here, although not sure if that would have helped you in determining your problem.

I had learned the hard way like you did, that U and UA model parts are not interchangeable.

post #824 of 2043 Old 11-11-2010, 10:51 PM

Not sure this is the correct place to post this information, but the following parts found at Digikey will work to replace the filter caps on the power supply board # ETX2MM704MGN found in Panny TH50PZ800U sets as it has now become impossible to find complete boards.
You will need:

3- P10231-ND 1000uf @250v $6.55 each
2- P10167-ND 330uf @450v $7.92 "
2- P13124-ND 470uf @ 25v $2.99 "
1- P10109-ND 470uf @ 200v $5.00 "
1- P10115-ND 1200uf @ 200v $ .71 "
1- P7424 56uf @ 450v $ .91 "
1- 565-1685-ND 1800 @ 25v $ 2.46 "

All told about $50 and a little time, which you will already have on your hands, the 25 volt caps are not likely to be a problem, but while you are in the kitchen....
The ones I've seen usually kill the 900uf @ 220v caps, just replace them with the 1kuf @250v caps shown, these are panny/ecg caps, they are taller than the original Chemi's, but there is plenty of room to put these in.
Beats waiting around for Panny to decide if they are going to help you fix their problem.
post #825 of 2043 Old 11-12-2010, 03:41 PM

Hey there guys,

Basically i have the 42'' PX70B model 1080p plasma screen,

had it over 2 years, was watching tv, you know the drill, screen went off mid tv programme, and im getting 10 flashing lights, iv'e had this problem for 2 months,

whats the best plan of action for me? im not the kind of person to have £500 ready to spend having it repaired,

could someone run through what the problem might be, what might fix it, 2 items i have plugged in are my xbox 360, and my sky HD box,

its probably been covered previously but i cant see it, and im hoping you guys can save my day!

also, how much you guys think itll cost to have the problem fixed providing your steps dont work?

thanks, any help will be appreciated!
post #826 of 2043 Old 11-12-2010, 04:18 PM

Many of these problems are caused by power supply failures. The filter caps used are usually sized on the margin for cost reasons and they all have a finite life.
Believe it or not, when you go to buy new caps, as in the post above, suppliers call new caps with a life expectancy of 3 to 5 thousand hours, long life caps.
Doesn't take an EE degree to run the numbers on how long they will last in a TV.
If the supply in your TV has not yet failed completely and taken out other components, probably best to have a proper TV shop pull the power supply board out and replace the filter caps, it's not a big deal, a heck of a lot cheaper than letting it go to compete destruction, and as you can see from the above post, it's not that expensive.
If the TV guy charges you more than $75-100 usd, he's the wrong guy.
post #827 of 2043 Old 11-12-2010, 04:51 PM

One note, as posted many other times in this thread, loose the Xbox for a while before calling in the surgeon.
post #828 of 2043 Old 11-12-2010, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpkeown View Post

Ok so i wanted to let everyone know that i was able to fix my 42 inch Panasonic TH42PZ700U that was suffering from the 7 blink syndrome for only $11 dollars .

You can test these by setting you volt meter to the diode tester. After going through all of these transistors i found a group of 5 showing shorted.

After lifting the right leg on each component (shown by the orange circle) one by one i would lift the leg then test them until they stopped showing shorted. Which of course was the last one i checked (shown in red). I then was able to get the panasonic part number from aperry (thank you very much )
The part number is B1DFKM000002 which can be ordered on for $11.95

I hope that this helps some.
~ Sean

- Also Special thanks to my friend Roy

Just wondering if you could let me know how to properly test the transistors. ie: which probe goes where and what numbers if any I should be seeing.

Thanks
post #829 of 2043 Old 11-13-2010, 03:39 PM

Correction to cap replacement numbers, the following caps are 10mm shorter than the ones previously listed here.
The ones listed will work, but may just touch the rear panel, Panny makes them in a shorter version, they are:
P10132 instead of the P10131
P10168 instead of hte P10167

The substitution of a 1000uf cap for a 900uf cap is of no consequence, the three are tied in parallel and are filter caps, like a battery or a garage, can't get too big, if you have the space

Sorry for the correction
post #830 of 2043 Old 11-18-2010, 05:43 PM

Well, just made it in from a long day at work. Flip on the ole 42PZ77U and....seven blinking lights. I guess these long days at work the past few weeks will come in handy when ordering another set

I may call the local repair shop and see if he wants to fool with trying to replace the caps...I'm pretty depressed atm though....
post #831 of 2043 Old 11-18-2010, 06:56 PM

@gavbon: Service Manual - http://elektrotanya.com/panasonic_pd.../download.html

RandyWalters also posted the name of a tech training manual for 9th Generation sets above. If you grab one and the sets described don't look like yours, perhaps try the 10th Generation guide.

Go here and search: http://elektrotanya.com/ with the following in the boxes: [Brand] panasonic [Model] plasma [2 drop boxes] All All

@Q-14:
Quote:
The filter caps used are usually sized on the margin for cost reasons and they all have a finite life. Believe it or not, when you go to buy new caps, as in the post above, suppliers call new caps with a life expectancy of 3 to 5 thousand hours, long life caps. Doesn't take an EE degree to run the numbers on how long they will last in a TV.
Essentially not true. Cap "lifetime hour" ratings are based on testing under laboratory conditions at (a) the max rated temperature, (b) the max rated ripple/impedance @ the stated frequency, (c) the max rated voltage, and still have -all- values withing specified tolerances when returned to nominal conditions. Basically, it's how long you can torture the cap and cause no damage.

The endurance value is of no practical use because you never operate the cap at those conditions. The number, for all intents and purposes, is useless information. 5,000 hours = 208 days = 7 months. We'd be doing endless recaps if that were the case.

Also bear in mind these are Panasonic sets using Panasonic caps. You can't do much better in the cap world.

@RaiderRodney:
Quote:
I may call the local repair shop and see if he wants to fool with trying to replace the caps.
Do not immediately think it is the caps. Try getting a manual for the set or search for what the 7 blink code means for -your- set.

Here: http://elektrotanya.com/panasonic_th.../download.html

Q
post #832 of 2043 Old 11-21-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunat1c View Post

Well for me I have good news to report. After faxing in my purchase receipt for the TV and the repair estimate from the local authorized repair location, Panasonic has decided to cover $450.00 out of the $615.00 repair estimate. The local place here told me that there actual estimate is closer to that $450.00 number. They went over to help me out and probably themselves. My TV is now awaiting repair and will hopefully be fixed by the end of next week. I will report back on what part caused my 2 blinks.

Lunat1c: Any update on the cause?

All - I've got 2 blinks and I'm trying to determine whether I need new caps on the P board (new P boards are non-existent) or a new D board.

I pulled mine apart today and found the large caps (the 900uF's) with a slight bulge at the top, but not terrible.

Does anyone have any input on whether replacing the caps fixes the 2 blink issue, or just the 10 blinks?

I've already ordered a D board as cheap insurance, but since I do not have 15V at the P25 connector I assume I might have a P-Board issue as well.

thanks in advance!

Doug
post #833 of 2043 Old 11-21-2010, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas_Baker View Post

Lunat1c: Any update on the cause?

All - I've got 2 blinks and I'm trying to determine whether I need new caps on the P board (new P boards are non-existent) or a new D board.

I pulled mine apart today and found the large caps (the 900uF's) with a slight bulge at the top, but not terrible.

Does anyone have any input on whether replacing the caps fixes the 2 blink issue, or just the 10 blinks?

I've already ordered a D board as cheap insurance, but since I do not have 15V at the P25 connector I assume I might have a P-Board issue as well.

thanks in advance!

Doug

Caps should not bulge at all. they should be flat or have very little dip from being stamped (some have reliefs stamped on top).

I posted some advise on the Vizio Pop of Death thread, recently.

It may help with choosing options on replacing caps.

Yes, my 2010 Panasonic 42C2 performs better than an S2 No floating blacks and keeps the lowest black levels.
post #834 of 2043 Old 11-23-2010, 06:08 PM

TH42PZ77U purchased Oct. 2007 (mfg Sep. 2007), used sporadically, generally much less than 10 hours a week. Worked fine yesterday, came home from work today and was greeted with 13 blinks. Just bought a camcorder today, guess I'll be using it with my el cheapo 32" Hannspree LCD that still works fine and is a year older than the Panny.
post #835 of 2043 Old 11-27-2010, 07:41 PM

After reading here and many other sites for 3 days trying to figure out what was wrong with my tv and how to fix it myself, I found the following info which helped me fix mine. The data was kind of all over the place, confusing, and incomplete so I put it all together in one hopefully easy to understand post.

I can't post links until my third post so scroll down 3 posts.
post #836 of 2043 Old 11-27-2010, 07:41 PM

long story short here's how I fixed 7 blinks on my Panasonic Plasma...

scroll down.. still can't post links. (sorry)
post #837 of 2043 Old 11-27-2010, 07:42 PM

For Model numbers:

TH-42PZ700U
TH-50PZ700U
TH-58PZ700U
TH-50PZ750U
TH-58PZ750U
post #838 of 2043 Old 11-27-2010, 07:43 PM

After reading here and many other sites for 3 days trying to figure out what was wrong with my tv and how to fix it myself, I found the following info which helped me fix mine. The data was kind of all over the place, confusing, and incomplete so I put it all together in one hopefully easy to understand post.

long story short here's how I fixed 7 blinks on my Panasonic Plasma...

For Model numbers:

TH-42PZ700U
TH-50PZ700U
TH-58PZ700U
TH-50PZ750U
TH-58PZ750U

with chassis number GPH10DU the technical guide is here http://www.scribd.com/doc/39469062/0...081023-1-07PDP

.... This guide also includes info to fix model TH-42PZ77U which has chassis number GP10DHU. I had 7 blinks on my TH-42PZ77U and by following the flow chart on page 22 of the Tech Guide I just posted I determined it was the SC Board which was faulty. I then followed the post by seanpkeown on 01-07-10, 10:29 PM on page 18 of this thread to determine that one of my Mosfets (the things with arrows pointing to them in seanpkeown's post, labeled as Q641-Q654) was fried. I checked my mosfets by first unsoldering the right leg of all 14 of them, then putting my digital meter on diode/continuity test setting, and testing with one lead on G and the other on S. I got no reading on any of them except for one of them. Following the link on seanpkeown's post I ordered one, replaced it (some other people have posted that your local electronics repair shop will install the new part for you for about $25 but I did it myself), and fixed my tv for $12.91. I also found this "Tech Tip" from Panasonic Canada which confirms that this is a valid fix recommended to techs by Panasonic for a known problem http://www.tvrepairtips.org/files/ti..._pdf_16529.pdf .

The Tech Tip shows you which transistors (mosfets) to test circled in blue and recommends that you upgrade the firmware on your tv following the physical repair as it is evidently a software problem that caused the hardware failure in the first place. The firmware and directions on installing it can be found directly from Panasonic here http://www.panasonic.com/announce/up...tv/service.asp

The first guide at the top of my post has info above and beyond the service manual which will help you diagnose blink codes for your tv if it has the above model and/or chassis numbers.

good luck and thanks for all the good info.

keywords: solved fixed
post #839 of 2043 Old 11-29-2010, 04:21 PM

For about a year now I have had the 10 blinks issue. Unplugging and waiting 10 minutes used to work but now I have to take back off and tap - yes tap, on the power supply. Believe it or not it works.... I plug back in and I hear the magic "click-click" and we are back in business. Now, this solves the problem for a random amount of time - anything from 1 to 15 days??? I recently found a power supply board on e-bay for $25 so I snatched it up. I will be installing when I have a chance and will post back the results. An interesting side note - recently I discovered that the fans keep running after shutting unit off - this is when the power up fails the next time you go to turn on? Hmmmmm... what does this all mean?? Next TV I buy will not be a Panasonic.
post #840 of 2043 Old 12-01-2010, 07:37 PM

On only its seventh day in the house, our TCP58S2 (July 2010 build date) went out with a pop (while I was watching, like a firecracker, but no smell) and now has only 7 blinks. I emailed Panasonic CS and opened a bottle.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page