Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 2088 Old 07-30-2011, 02:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr2 View Post

I have the same problem after a thunderstorm. We lost power and now the panny TV is functioning like yours. What lead you replacing the A board? I was looking at replacing the P board...

Well, the service manual suggests that if there is a power problem the red LED will either fail to light, or will blink. For me the LED comes on and stays on, and the screen lights up to black-level.

Also, based on the troubleshooting flow charts in the service manual, the A board seems to be the likely culprit since the green LEDs on the SC and SS boards are lit.

Finally, I read some posts like this one where people with similar symptoms fixed them by replacing the A board.

Keep in mind, I have no experience repairing plasmas, so I am just making guesses here. But I will report back when I get the new A board.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 2088 Old 07-30-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:

I found a large clear lamp on the P (AC) board. Is that supposed to light when the power is on?

I'm not sure which lamp you're referring to...I don't remember seeing one on mine. To my knowledge nothing on the P board lights up, but I could be wrong.
post #1083 of 2088 Old 07-30-2011, 04:37 PM

What is the verdict on when the TV doesn't even display a light? I think I may have suffered a power surge. TV won't turn on, no standby light at all. It is a brand new VT30 so I am hoping that I am not totally ****ed and it is something that can be repaired.
post #1084 of 2088 Old 07-30-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szrc View Post

Well, the service manual suggests that if there is a power problem the red LED will either fail to light, or will blink. For me the LED comes on and stays on, and the screen lights up to black-level.

Also, based on the troubleshooting flow charts in the service manual, the A board seems to be the likely culprit since the green LEDs on the SC and SS boards are lit.

Finally, I read some posts where people with similar symptoms fixed them by replacing the A board.

Keep in mind, I have no experience repairing plasmas, so I am just making guesses here. But I will report back when I get the new A board.

That's what mine does but it takes about 30 seconds to turn on or off after the power button is pushed. Once it turns on and if I leave it on it just keeps cycling on and off with the black level screen. No menu or anything is visible.

I would think the power board would be able to take a little surge, but your right the A board looks like its "calling the shots" so to speak

What's the eta on your A board? I'm just not sure what to do yet.
post #1085 of 2088 Old 07-30-2011, 07:52 PM

I have a TH-50PZ85U that's about 3 years old. My TV started giving me the 10 blinks but it doesn't always happen. Sometimes the TV turns on fine. It'll turn on 2-3 times and then the next time and for awhile after it will not turn on and give me 10 blinks. I've tried unplugging everything and plugging it back it but there's no consistency in when it happens.

Once its on, it works fine.

Any thoughts on this one?
post #1086 of 2088 Old 07-30-2011, 11:51 PM

So, I bought my TC-P50G20 last June. For the last year, it's been awesome. I was watching TV earlier today, no problems whatsoever. Now, it won't turn on. The red power light is blinking (10 times, to be specific). Apparently this means it's dead, Jim. Of course, it dies *just* out of warranty.

I haven't called Panasonic yet, as they're closed until tomorrow morning.

Some quick research says it's probably the A-Board.

So, here are my questions.
A) Will Panasonic cover the repair?
B) If not (A), what can I expect to pay to have this repaired?
C) If it's absurdly expensive to have it repaired (B), can I do it myself, and what's the level of difficulty involved? Note: I'm a computer geek; I build my own computers, and am no stranger to working with electronics.
D) If I go the DIY route from (C), how will this affect any future warranties/repairs?
E) If I go the DIY route from (C), can anyone recommend a good place to order a replacement part? Also, would I be better off with ordering online, or going through either Panasonic or a repair shop?

Thanks!
post #1087 of 2088 Old 07-30-2011, 11:56 PM

Quote:

What's the eta on your A board? I'm just not sure what to do yet.

I'm not sure; I just ordered it yesterday. Hopefully next week...
post #1088 of 2088 Old 07-30-2011, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemarjo View Post

I have a TH-50PZ85U that's about 3 years old. My TV started giving me the 10 blinks but it doesn't always happen. Sometimes the TV turns on fine. It'll turn on 2-3 times and then the next time and for awhile after it will not turn on and give me 10 blinks. I've tried unplugging everything and plugging it back it but there's no consistency in when it happens.

Do you have it connected to a PC? Mine will give ten blinks if the PC is providing a signal when the TV is turned on.
post #1089 of 2088 Old 07-31-2011, 05:36 AM

Quote:

Do you have it connected to a PC? Mine will give ten blinks if the PC is providing a signal when the TV is turned on.

I don't any anything plugged into it just to try and narrow down what's causing the issue.
post #1090 of 2088 Old 07-31-2011, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemarjo View Post

Same thing here except from the fact that I own the TH-42PZ8E (European model, but I expect it to be the same).

In fact it went for almost a whole week after the first incidents, in which it was going on w/t a problem, and after that (brief healthy period) the problem (same as yours) returned...

It drives me insane, to the point that I'm thinking of leaving the Plasma on the whole time so that I won't get the 10 blinks ever again. I reckon it will work since the panel itself is absolutely perfect, same as the first day I bought it.

I had an HDMI PC connected on for quite some time, but I don't anymore, still the 10 blinks are there...

Any practical tips that it would let me to NOT pay the excessive repair costs?

Edit: Since I have the European model, can/would I be able to use the service guide for the equivalent US model (TH-42PZ80U)? I'm in the process of opening up my TV, so I would really appreciate an assurance that I can use the service guide -I have at hand- all the same.

Edit 2: Here's what I'm using (my model is -like I said- the TH-42PZ8E). Hope I'm not doing any mistake by doing so...
post #1091 of 2088 Old 08-01-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:

I'm not sure; I just ordered it yesterday. Hopefully next week...

Slated to arrive Friday.
post #1092 of 2088 Old 08-02-2011, 05:50 AM

I ordered an A board as well...

Mine will be here tomorrow.

Hopefully it will do the trick!
post #1093 of 2088 Old 08-02-2011, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member

I have two Panasonic TH-42pz77u displays that I purchased from Sears on the same day in November 2007. Sunday morning I turned one of them on but the screen was black and the red LED light flashed in groups of 7. I called Panasonic. Two days later (this morning) a gentleman with 44 years of experience as a TV repair man showed up on time and fixed it free of charge. He also did the firmware update previously issued. He said that should protect both displays from the same failure and not affect the video calibration. I tried to tip him but he would not accept anything other than a "thank you". Kudos to Panasonic. Pretty darn good service given the 1 year warranty expired nearly 3 years ago! BTW his preferred display type is plasma despite LCDs being much easier to work on.

Krister
post #1094 of 2088 Old 08-03-2011, 04:17 AM

...continuing from my last post:
I think I found what's going wrong with my TV. The main AC relay (the one that clicks when you give current to the TV) clicks once more after about a minute that my TV is in sleep mode. In other words (for some reason) it decides to switch my TV completely off even though the sleep (red) led is on; no wonder then why when I try to switch my TV back on (after that event) it gives the 10 Blink Sos code (it thinks that sth's wrong with the P board).

If on the other hand I prevent my TV from going to sleep (by switching it completely off, like -say- when you push the physical power button off), the next time I switch the TV on the boot is normal as if nothing ever happened to my TV.

In other words the problem is with my main AC relay (it cannot keep the charge when my TV is sleeping), which *has to* be relatively inexpensive to change. My question is: can I change it on in myself (it seems soldered on the P Board)? Or would I need to change the whole of the P Board?
post #1095 of 2088 Old 08-03-2011, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve185 View Post

...continuing from my last post:
I think I found what's going wrong with my TV. The main AC relay (the one that clicks when you give current to the TV) clicks once more after about a minute that my TV is in sleep mode. In other words (for some reason) it decides to switch my TV completely off even though the sleep (red) led is on; no wonder then why when I try to switch my TV back on (after that event) it gives the 10 Blink Sos code (it thinks that sth's wrong with the P board).

If on the other hand I prevent my TV from going to sleep (by switching it completely off, like -say- when you push the physical power button off), the next time I switch the TV on the boot is normal as if nothing ever happened to my TV.

In other words the problem is with my main AC relay (it cannot keep the charge when my TV is sleeping), which *has to* be relatively inexpensive to change. My question is: can I change it on in myself (it seems soldered on the P Board)? Or would I need to change the whole of the P Board?

That is an interesting phenomenon, but I really doubt changing the relay is going to make any difference.

If your P board has the MC301 Module, then that is most likely the problem. They start out intermittent before permanently failing.

Good luck!
post #1096 of 2088 Old 08-03-2011, 02:55 PM

Got my A board installed. No luck. It must be in either the ac power board or main power board in my case.
post #1097 of 2088 Old 08-03-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:

Got my A board installed. No luck. It must be in either the ac power board or main power board in my case.

Bummer. Any change in behavior at all?
post #1098 of 2088 Old 08-04-2011, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdh05 View Post

That is an interesting phenomenon, but I really doubt changing the relay is going to make any difference.

If your P board has the MC301 Module, then that is most likely the problem. They start out intermittent before permanently failing.

Good luck!

Well I bought a power strip with a remotely controlled switch and I trained my panny's remote to switch on and off the power strip instead of -merely- my TV's sleep mode. And it worked as intended (perfectly). So I -basically- got my TV back into a working order, but here's where things get even more iffy.

This particular switch on and off cycle (i.e. that I'd have to not let the TV to go on sleep) happens *only* when I have nothing attached to my A-Board (no HDMI, TV antenna, etc). Once I attach anything at all to my TV (while it's off) it refuses to switch on no matter what.

So the only way through which I can operate my TV (currently) is to switch it on and *then* attach any cable at all and when I'm to switch it off I have to remove *all* cables (apart from the power of course).

This leads me to believe that the real problem is with the A board, I believe it all started from there and the problem *still* is there. Given that I had an HTPC attached to it for more than a year I fear that it caused some kind of trouble (even though it shouldn't had)...

Anyhow the repairman tells me that if the A-board is bust the whole endeavor (to repair it) will cost quite a hefty amount of money almost enough that it would had been better to buy a new TV...

So, I'm not sure what I should do, leave it in this half-working state or attempt to repair it (maybe paying *way* too much in the process). Any recommendation would be welcome... Thanks.
post #1099 of 2088 Old 08-04-2011, 04:43 AM

Quote:

Bummer. Any change in behavior at all?

No, same thing. I just ordered both the ac board and the main power board. Hopefully that rectifies the problem.
post #1100 of 2088 Old 08-04-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve185 View Post

Well I bought a power strip with a remotely controlled switch and I trained my panny's remote to switch on and off the power strip instead of -merely- my TV's sleep mode. And it worked as intended (perfectly). So I -basically- got my TV back into a working order, but here's where things get even more iffy.

This particular switch on and off cycle (i.e. that I'd have to not let the TV to go on sleep) happens *only* when I have nothing attached to my A-Board (no HDMI, TV antenna, etc). Once I attach anything at all to my TV (while it's off) it refuses to switch on no matter what.

So the only way through which I can operate my TV (currently) is to switch it on and *then* attach any cable at all and when I'm to switch it off I have to remove *all* cables (apart from the power of course).

This leads me to believe that the real problem is with the A board, I believe it all started from there and the problem *still* is there. Given that I had an HTPC attached to it for more than a year I fear that it caused some kind of trouble (even though it shouldn't had)...

Anyhow the repairman tells me that if the A-board is bust the whole endeavor (to repair it) will cost quite a hefty amount of money almost enough that it would had been better to buy a new TV...

So, I'm not sure what I should do, leave it in this half-working state or attempt to repair it (maybe paying *way* too much in the process). Any recommendation would be welcome... Thanks.

Then buy an A board. Its an easy install.
post #1101 of 2088 Old 08-04-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:

Then buy an A board. Its an easy install.

For the time being money's hard to come by. I would prefer to avoid it, or if I was/am to buy an A-board (at least) I would had liked to be *sure* that it is that. If there is/was a sure fire way to do so I would be glad to buy one.

My knowledge of Plasma TVs is amateur at best, I'm sure that I can replace a board if need be, but I'm not so sure that my diagnose is correct...
post #1102 of 2088 Old 08-04-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:

No, same thing. I just ordered both the ac board and the main power board. Hopefully that rectifies the problem.

The main power board did not fix the problem. Luckily, it just happened that the guy I purchased it from on ebay is local and I was able to pick it up. He's an electronic tech. He didn't think it was the power board and that it was the A board still causing the issue. If that's the case then I got a bad and/or incorrect A board thru the internet. He said he'd help me out and also refund back the power board if that didn't fix the issue.
post #1103 of 2088 Old 08-05-2011, 08:04 PM

Quote:

The main power board did not fix the problem. Luckily, it just happened that the guy I purchased it from on ebay is local and I was able to pick it up. He's an electronic tech. He didn't think it was the power board and that it was the A board still causing the issue. If that's the case then I got a bad and/or incorrect A board thru the internet. He said he'd help me out and also refund back the power board if that didn't fix the issue.

Well, I'm not sure what this means for you, but my new A board did the trick! Back up and running as usual.
post #1104 of 2088 Old 08-05-2011, 10:04 PM

im in dire need for a cheap replacement lcd for my panasonic viera 42". if anybody knows where i can get one, or has the tv and it dont turn on please let me know if your willing to sell it on here or my email Caseyparker01@yahoo.com much appreciated!
post #1105 of 2088 Old 08-06-2011, 12:47 AM

Stumbled upon this thread via a Google search. Add another that came home to find the 10 time blinking red light. Unplugged it for about 30 seconds and was able to turn it back on.

Far too hopeful that it might be a one time thing correct? I gather it will keep happening now until that it no longer works altogether?
post #1106 of 2088 Old 08-06-2011, 02:24 AM

Quote:

Well, I'm not sure what this means for you, but my new A board did the trick! Back up and running as usual.

Thanks for the update! The tech that's been helping me out via a few emails thinks I was sent a bad A-board and to send it back and get another one.
post #1107 of 2088 Old 08-06-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abintra View Post

Stumbled upon this thread via a Google search. Add another that came home to find the 10 time blinking red light. Unplugged it for about 30 seconds and was able to turn it back on.

Far too hopeful that it might be a one time thing correct? I gather it will keep happening now until that it no longer works altogether?

Apparently so as the same thing happened today. Unplugging it worked again but how long can I expect that to keep working?
post #1108 of 2088 Old 08-08-2011, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by abintra View Post
Apparently so as the same thing happened today. Unplugging it worked again but how long can I expect that to keep working?
It is probably one of those bad surface mount caps. Sorry, but it is going to just get worse. It's a relatively easy and cheap fix.

I just had another of those come in the shop. What's the deal with those caps??
post #1109 of 2088 Old 08-08-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
It is probably one of those bad surface mount caps. Sorry, but it is going to just get worse. It's a relatively easy and cheap fix.

I probably wouldn't tackle it until the day that it ceases to work entirely (has turned on normally the past two days so I'm hoping beyond hope) but is it possible someone here might be willing to walk me through what I would need to repair it myself?

I've never done something like that before but I would much prefer going that route than the alternative (have done things like build/repair computers which this seems like it might have a cursory similarity to once past the diagnosis stage).
post #1110 of 2088 Old 08-08-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:

What's a surface mount cap? Is there a part #/price? Where could I get one? I have the same problem with my panny.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic

User Tag List
TW2005

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page