Forum Jump: 

post #1141 of 2038 Old 08-31-2011, 07:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjmoo1 View Post

@ kdh05: I soldered on a 1uf tantalum cap and sure enough it worked! Then after about 10 minutes of watching it died again with a 4 blink error. Now I am back but I think worse then I started because 4 blinks seem a lot leas common then 10.
Any ideas?

So after I posted this I plugged it back in and I got a 10 blink code again. This leads me to believe it was the same cap again.

Can you tell me what direction I should have installed the cap in for proper polarity?

Negative should be up towards the edge of the module. Positive down towards the center of the module (towards the P board).

As you know, it is a soldering challenge. Make sure you have good solder joints, and no shorts/bridges.

Hope you got it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1142 of 2038 Old 08-31-2011, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by byalegend View Post

The service manual should have some troubleshooting steps based on the blink code. Also, blown caps aren't always apparent. I repaired one tv that had 9 failed caps on the power supply, all of which were visibly fine; I used my ESR meter to do a thorough diagnosis.

My limited experience with Panasonic plasmas (I have two Panasonic plasmas that I've repaired) hasn't revealed any electrolytic cap issues, which is the typical failure point in flat tvs. The surface mount cap in the TH-50PZ80U mentioned in this thread showed no visible signs of failure.

Okay, the service manual says the ten-blink code is for the A-board. Under contents it says: Sub 5V SOS, Main 3.3V SOS, DTV 9V SOS, Tuner Power SOS.

How do I diagnose which component to look at? Can I do it with just a multimeter?

Thanks in advance for any help. I'm obviously a rookie to this but I'd like to fix it if possible.
post #1143 of 2038 Old 09-01-2011, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspin14m View Post

What is the verdict on when the TV doesn't even display a light? I think I may have suffered a power surge. TV won't turn on, no standby light at all. It is a brand new VT30 so I am hoping that I am not totally ****ed and it is something that can be repaired.

I didn't see a response to this but I'd like to know as well. My G20 suddenly wouldn't turn on the other night and there are no blinking lights, no tick/click when I plug it in (like it's supposed to do when working), just nothing. There was no surge I was aware of, just worked one night and not the next. I'm outside of Panasonic's 1 year warranty so I'm not quite sure what to do.

Edit: Well I saw some other people earlier in the thread and it seems like a blown fuse, I guess I'll try and check those and replace them, although I don't know if there's something more serious going on. Not sure I want to bother spending hundreds to replace some boards instead of just getting a new (better) plasma...
post #1144 of 2038 Old 09-01-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioscience View Post

Okay, the service manual says the ten-blink code is for the A-board. Under contents it says: Sub 5V SOS, Main 3.3V SOS, DTV 9V SOS, Tuner Power SOS.

How do I diagnose which component to look at? Can I do it with just a multimeter?

Thanks in advance for any help. I'm obviously a rookie to this but I'd like to fix it if possible.

I had the same 10 blink problem with my TH-50PZ850U. I just replaced the 1uF cap on the MC301 and now it is fixed.
Yes, the service manual call for diagnose from the A-board since the A-board is the one reporting the missing 15V. But the 15V is supply by the P-board thru T-301 transformer.
I think the first step to check is to make sure F301 is not blown. You can simply check this with any cheap multimeter. Then check TP1 and TP2. TP2 is the ground. Make sure you set the meter on 1000V DC. TP1 and TP2 should be over 250V (I don't remember the exact value) but should maintain even after the clicking sound (shutdown).
If you have voltage on TP1-TP2 but no voltage (even before shutdown) from TP6-TP7. Then I would highly suspect the same 1uF on MC301 since there isn't much else there.
It doesn't seem to be possible to measure the cap in circuit. I replace that (603 size) cap and put a stem on pin 13 of the TEA1611T for measurement.
Doing a replacement on a 603 cap using normal home equipment isn't easy at all.
Good luck...
post #1145 of 2038 Old 09-03-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schan7 View Post

I had the same 10 blink problem with my TH-50PZ850U. I just replaced the 1uF cap on the MC301 and now it is fixed.
Yes, the service manual call for diagnose from the A-board since the A-board is the one reporting the missing 15V. But the 15V is supply by the P-board thru T-301 transformer.
I think the first step to check is to make sure F301 is not blown. You can simply check this with any cheap multimeter. Then check TP1 and TP2. TP2 is the ground. Make sure you set the meter on 1000V DC. TP1 and TP2 should be over 250V (I don't remember the exact value) but should maintain even after the clicking sound (shutdown).
If you have voltage on TP1-TP2 but no voltage (even before shutdown) from TP6-TP7. Then I would highly suspect the same 1uF on MC301 since there isn't much else there.
It doesn't seem to be possible to measure the cap in circuit. I replace that (603 size) cap and put a stem on pin 13 of the TEA1611T for measurement.
Doing a replacement on a 603 cap using normal home equipment isn't easy at all.
Good luck...

Would thouse troubleshooting steps work with a TC-P42S1???

I have a Panasonic TC-P42S1 that is about 2 years old. A week ago the tv wouldn't turn on and I received the 10 blinking lights. I took off the back panel and I'm trying to troubleshoot the different boards starting with the power supply. I'm thinking I have a bad power supply because all of the connectors going to the different boards are registering 0 dc volts. I'm getting some voltage at different test points but it doesn't look like any voltage is getting to any of the other boards. What is the most likely cause of a bad power supply...it is the ETX2MM747AF board. Thanks.
post #1146 of 2038 Old 09-03-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apfhex View Post
Well I saw some other people earlier in the thread and it seems like a blown fuse, I guess I'll try and check those and replace them, although I don't know if there's something more serious going on. Not sure I want to bother spending hundreds to replace some boards instead of just getting a new (better) plasma...
Just replying to myself, I checked the four fuses and assuming I'm not an idiot and my multimeter is working correctly (I had it on the 2000 ohm/resistance setting? I honestly don't really know much about using them) they all read 000, apparently OK. I guess I should think about replacing the power board as that would be the next cheapest solution and it looks easy.
post #1147 of 2038 Old 09-04-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsclucas View Post

Would thouse troubleshooting steps work with a TC-P42S1???

I have a Panasonic TC-P42S1 that is about 2 years old. A week ago the tv wouldn't turn on and I received the 10 blinking lights. I took off the back panel and I'm trying to troubleshoot the different boards starting with the power supply. I'm thinking I have a bad power supply because all of the connectors going to the different boards are registering 0 dc volts. I'm getting some voltage at different test points but it doesn't look like any voltage is getting to any of the other boards. What is the most likely cause of a bad power supply...it is the ETX2MM747AF board. Thanks.

I just had one of these in the shop with the same symptom. It was a shorted SS board.

Measure between the thick white a blue wires that come out of the supply and head left towards the SC board. You will probably measure a short. Then disconnect the SC board and measure again (at both the power supply and the SC board).

If the power supply still measures shorted, disconnect the cable going to the SS board (to your right). It has 3 pins. Measure the power supply again, and the short will probably be gone.

Give it a shot and see what you find.
post #1148 of 2038 Old 09-04-2011, 10:02 AM

I have a TH-C50FD18 - similar to a 50PZ80U Last week it started the 2 blink code, 1.5v at pin 1 of p6 and p7, ordered a $20 shipped D board from ebay - thought I'd get off cheap. Now I get 10 blinks, sometimes 2. Downloaded SM. Checked volts - tp7 15.77, tp8 148V, tp1-2 780v, tp5-6 0.18v Pin1 at p6 and p7 1.5v Fans come on a second before shutdown. I was thinking P board, maybe A board?
post #1149 of 2038 Old 09-08-2011, 06:43 PM

KDH05 - THANK YOU!!!

I thank you for the time and effort you put into figuring out the 1uf cap issue on the MCx01 board. I just added the cap as you instructed and fixed a TH-42PZ80u plasma. I have it cooking now in my back bedroom!!

I was in consumer electronic repair (A Zenith dealership) for almost 10 years back in the 80's and also ran my own shop at home till 2000, so I know how much time and effort and probably cost it took to troubleshoot this out.

God bless you! (It was my pastor's tv I fixed too!!)

Jeff
post #1150 of 2038 Old 09-10-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:

Just replying to myself, I checked the four fuses and assuming I'm not an idiot and my multimeter is working correctly (I had it on the 2000 ohm/resistance setting? I honestly don't really know much about using them) they all read 000, apparently OK. I guess I should think about replacing the power board as that would be the next cheapest solution and it looks easy.

Well replacing the p-board didn't fix it. I heard the relays click once, then once again a few seconds later. Still no standby light. If I unplug it then plug it back in afterwards, the relays don't click any more. It did the same thing before I replaced the p-board too, since the TV had been sitting unplugged for days I tried plugging it in and it was the same, clicks a few seconds apart then nothing afterwards. Seriously, any ideas? Service manual suggests checking the A-board. I could replace that too unless someone knows what I could test next.
post #1151 of 2038 Old 09-10-2011, 08:46 PM

I've had my G20 for about 11 months now. I couldn't be happier with it except for the fact that last week, the darn TV would not start. The red light would come on (no blinking...just solid) and that's that. There was no picture. And the only way to turn it off was to hold the unit's power button for like 3 seconds. The remote's power button was unresponsive. I checked all connections. I even tried disconnecting everything from the TV and let it sit for a while and then reconnect everything but still no luck. So I gave up.

But then the next day it was back to normal. It would power up and turn off as usual. That lasted about a week. Just a few minutes ago, I tried turning it on and it's back to the same scenario as last week.

Luckily, the factory warranty is still in effect. However, I've read some posts that Panasonic refuses to fix it. Also, the TV was bought at BestBuy (not that they had anything to do with it...it was working fine for the 1st 11 months.).

I have yet to read all the posts in this thread but has anyone had any luck with this? Did Panny honer their warranty agreement? Is there a workaround or manual fix? Or am I screwed and my TV is garbage?

EDIT: Correction, there are blinking lights after all.....a series of 13 blinks - a number I haven't heard mentioned here on the thread.
post #1152 of 2038 Old 09-11-2011, 09:24 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic81 View Post

I've had my G20 for about 11 months now......Luckily, the factory warranty is still in effect. However, I've read some posts that Panasonic refuses to fix it.

I don't know what the heck you read, but in all my years on AVS i haven't seen a single post from someone with a dead Panasonic TV being refused warranty repair during the warranty period. As a matter of fact, they very often will repair a TV that has become defective even a few-three months after the factory warranty has expired. Several people here have had this done.

Quote:

I have yet to read all the posts in this thread but has anyone had any luck with this? Did Panny honer their warranty agreement? Is there a workaround or manual fix? Or am I screwed and my TV is garbage?

I find it ridiculous that you'd think they'd refuse to honor their warranty and screw you out of a legitimate warranty repair. Your TV is under warranty so i'm positive Panasonic will fix it.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #1153 of 2038 Old 09-12-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

I don't know what the heck you read, but in all my years on AVS i haven't seen a single post from someone with a dead Panasonic TV being refused warranty repair during the warranty period. As a matter of fact, they very often will repair a TV that has become defective even a few-three months after the factory warranty has expired. Several people here have had this done.

I find it ridiculous that you'd think they'd refuse to honor their warranty and screw you out of a legitimate warranty repair. Your TV is under warranty so i'm positive Panasonic will fix it.

Look, I was pretty upset when I wrote my post. I wasn't trying to bash Panasonic. However, if you really want me to spend some time looking for the posts that I read, saying that Panasonic and/or the retail store (e.g. BestBuy) gave folks a hard time when claiming a malfunction with the unit, I will.

Anyway, I do have some good news. You were right, Panasonic is honoring their warranty. A tech is scheduled to come to the house and service the TV this Friday.
post #1154 of 2038 Old 09-13-2011, 01:13 PM

Unfortunately my parents TH-42PZ80U stopped working today. My mom went to cut it on this morning and couldn't get a picture. I called Panasonic and got "Well, you're out of warranty, so here's some service places. Good luck." So I came here to do some research. So far in my searches specific to their model, I haven't read about anyone else with similar circumstances. Whenever I power up the TV I get no blinking lights of any sort. I just get a solid power light and the fans cut on. After a certain period of time, I hear a small clicking noise, and the fans shut off, and the TV resets itself. Has anyone else encountered this? I'm hoping for a simple fix, as I'm not wild about lugging a plasma to a service center an hour and a half away.
post #1155 of 2038 Old 09-15-2011, 10:03 PM

Quote:

Service manual suggests checking the A-board. I could replace that too unless someone knows what I could test next.

Just an update, new A-board fixed it! $45 and a little bit of my time, not bad.
post #1156 of 2038 Old 09-16-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Hart View Post

Unfortunately my parents TH-42PZ80U stopped working today. My mom went to cut it on this morning and couldn't get a picture. I called Panasonic and got "Well, you're out of warranty, so here's some service places. Good luck." So I came here to do some research. So far in my searches specific to their model, I haven't read about anyone else with similar circumstances. Whenever I power up the TV I get no blinking lights of any sort. I just get a solid power light and the fans cut on. After a certain period of time, I hear a small clicking noise, and the fans shut off, and the TV resets itself. Has anyone else encountered this? I'm hoping for a simple fix, as I'm not wild about lugging a plasma to a service center an hour and a half away.

Well as I found, depending on the error code (how many times the power light flashes on and off) I found my answer on this forum and it was a $0.25 1uf 50v cap on the power supply board (literally on one of the sub boards on it (MC301))

So hopefully by doing some research on the plasma and on this forum, so can do it fast and cheaply.

Jeff
post #1157 of 2038 Old 09-23-2011, 05:04 AM

Hi all. I have a TH-42PC77U that I bought at Costco in October 2007. Unfortunately, while I have all other original paperwork, the receipt is mysteriously nowhere to be found.

After Hurricane Irene rolled through back on August 28, I got the 7-blink error code when the electricity came back on. I messed around with it for a while (basically just unplugging it and plugging it back in at various intervals, since I didn't know what else to do) and eventually it just started working again. Then it was fine until this morning, when I got the 7-blink error code again. Once again, I tried unplugging and plugging it back in a few times at various intervals, and finally after leaving it unplugged for about 20 minutes, it is now working again, for now...but who knows for how it will last this time.

So my question is, given that I do not have the receipt from Costco, the fact that it is an intermittent problem, and working right now, what steps would you guys suggest I take? Should I call Panasonic anyway, or is there nothing they can do while the TV is in working order? Or am I SOL without the receipt? Also, while no electronics specialist, I am a mechanical engineer, fairly technically capable, and comfortable messing around inside the TV if it comes to it. So I was also wondering there some simple/cheap part(s) and instructions I could acquire now and keep on hand for next time?

Any thoughts?
post #1158 of 2038 Old 09-23-2011, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynmanas View Post

I have a TH-42PC77U that I bought at Costco in October 2007 ... got the 7-blink error code.

Your TV may be covered by an extended warranty offered by Panasonic for that 7-blink problem. See this thread.

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #1159 of 2038 Old 09-23-2011, 08:25 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwil View Post

Your TV may be covered by an extended warranty offered by Panasonic for that 7-blink problem. See this thread.

raynmanas, also check my posts in this thread starting at #1023 for my experience with a similar issue.
post #1160 of 2038 Old 09-24-2011, 10:05 AM

I have a lightly used TC-P50G10 that's just over 2 years old. Heard a loud pop the other night, and now I have 5 blinks. Spent $56 to have a tech take a look, and he thinks it's the SC board, but he wasn't very convincing, so I decided to do a little research on my own.

The service manual says that 5 blinks means "5V SOS" with the A-board as the Check point.

Does that mean that if I replace the A-board, I should be good?
post #1161 of 2038 Old 09-24-2011, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLin View Post

I have a lightly used TC-P50G10 ... have 5 blinks. Spent $56 to have a tech take a look, and he thinks it's the SC board ... if I replace the A-board, I should be good?

It is not that simple. According to a troubleshooting guide (which I could not find available online for you to download), it could be the P, C, A, SC, SS boards or Panel.

There is a flowchart in that guide that gives step-by-step instructions on how to determine which board is defective. The tech should have used that guide, rather than guessing.

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #1162 of 2038 Old 09-24-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:

It is not that simple. According to a troubleshooting guide (which I could not find available online for you to download), it could be the P, C, A, SC, SS boards or Panel.

There is a flowchart in that guide that gives step-by-step instructions on how to determine which board is defective. The tech should have used that guide, rather than guessing.

I downloaded the service manual from here:
http://elektrotanya.com/panasonic_tc.../download.html

What's the point of looking at the blinking light if it could be all of those parts? I wanted to follow the flow chart for No Picture, but I don't see any LEDs on either of the SC or SS boards. I'm thinking that the P-board is the culprit
post #1163 of 2038 Old 09-24-2011, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLin View Post

I downloaded the service manual from here:
http://elektrotanya.com/panasonic_tc.../download.html

What's the point of looking at the blinking light if it could be all of those parts? I wanted to follow the flow chart for No Picture, but I don't see any LEDs on either of the SC or SS boards. I'm thinking that the P-board is the culprit

I'm sorry that I was not clearer earlier. The troubleshooting guide is totally different from the service manual, and appears not available on Elektrotanya, or anywhere else on the net outside of Panasonic.

In that guide is a 5-blink flowchart that gives steps on how to isolate or test each listed board until the faulty board is found.

The probable reason why you do not see any LEDs on your SC or SS boards is the protection circuit had already activated, and had stopped power to those boards.

post #1164 of 2038 Old 09-24-2011, 09:51 PM

Kdh05 hi i have been following your contributions to this thread, and just have one quick question if its not too much trouble. I own an older model plasma TV from 2006 (to be exact model TH-50PV30) which has had the blinking light error, but up until recently we could get it working again by letting it sit for a while or unplugging then replugging the power in, but now its finally bit the bullet and the tv cant even flick on to give the blinking error (the led light still lights up, but the panel cant even turn on to induce the blinking light error).

So was just wondering do the faulty p boards go back as far to our older model plasma, and do you think replacing our p board might solve our issue? For the record the screen itself had been noticeably dimmer we think for quite some time maybe further suggesting a power issue perhaps.

Thanks for your time and contributions to the forum!
post #1165 of 2038 Old 09-25-2011, 02:00 PM

Unit is march 2008 built, purchased in Columbia, TN and began to fail occasionally at power on, could be unplugged, re-plugged and would work for a while. Finally died and will give 10 red blink sequence when plugged in. Other forums (badcaps) sent me to a link with a troubleshooting manual and testing reveals that the power (P) board does not supply 15 volt standby voltage at plug in. That seems to indicate a failure in the P board, so question is, can I somehow troubleshoot the board for a bad part, or must I replace the whole board. Also, where is best to get parts?
post #1166 of 2038 Old 09-25-2011, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustfarmer View Post

TH-42PZ85U 10 blinks at plug-in. Other forums (badcaps) sent me to a link with a troubleshooting manual and testing reveals that the power (P) board does not supply 15 volt standby voltage at plug in. That seems to indicate a failure in the P board, so question is, can I somehow troubleshoot the board for a bad part, or must I replace the whole board?

If you take the time to read this thread, you will find your answer. Recently there has been component-level repairs on the PZ series to solve the 10-blink problem.

I would start here, and carefully review the posts by unspun01 and especially kdh05. His post here is exceptionally helpful. Also, this post summarizes things.

post #1167 of 2038 Old 09-26-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AevnsGrandpa View Post

Well as I found, depending on the error code (how many times the power light flashes on and off) I found my answer on this forum and it was a $0.25 1uf 50v cap on the power supply board (literally on one of the sub boards on it (MC301))

So hopefully by doing some research on the plasma and on this forum, so can do it fast and cheaply.

Jeff

I wasn't getting any power light flashes so I had no error codes to reference. I just got a voicemail from the repair place with their estimate. They told me nearly $400 to replace the "main board" and do some cleaning. Does this sound reasonable to anyone? A quick google search turned up 2 different main board parts that weren't too expensive. A main logic board and the main unit board. Wondering if it might be easier to replace the boards myself? Anyone know of any guides out there for doing such a thing?
post #1168 of 2038 Old 09-26-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpr333 View Post

Kdh05 hi i have been following your contributions to this thread, and just have one quick question if its not too much trouble. I own an older model plasma TV from 2006 (to be exact model TH-50PV30) which has had the blinking light error, but up until recently we could get it working again by letting it sit for a while or unplugging then replugging the power in, but now its finally bit the bullet and the tv cant even flick on to give the blinking error (the led light still lights up, but the panel cant even turn on to induce the blinking light error).

So was just wondering do the faulty p boards go back as far to our older model plasma, and do you think replacing our p board might solve our issue? For the record the screen itself had been noticeably dimmer we think for quite some time maybe further suggesting a power issue perhaps.

Thanks for your time and contributions to the forum!

Sorry, I don't know if that model has the Mx301 stand-up boards. But, doing a quick search on google, it looks like your model does have a lot of trouble with its power supply. Maybe just bad caps. Have a look and see if you have any bulging capacitors.

It could explain the dimming, too.

Good luck!
post #1169 of 2038 Old 09-26-2011, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Hart View Post

Wondering if it might be easier to replace the boards myself? Anyone know of any guides out there for doing such a thing?

Panasonic TH-42PZ80U Service Manual
Panasonic TH-42PZ80U Technical Manual

Replacing boards is not hard if you are technically inclined.

Just be sure to get the right version board. Panasonic had two models that year which uses different boards, the earlier TH-42PZ80U and the later TH-42PZ80UA.

post #1170 of 2038 Old 09-26-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:

Panasonic TH-42PZ80U Service Manual
Panasonic TH-42PZ80U Technical Manual

Replacing boards is not hard if you are technically inclined.

Just be sure to get the right version board. Panasonic had two models that year which uses different boards, the earlier TH-42PZ80U and the later TH-42PZ80UA.

Thank you. After looking at some pictures of the TV with the back of it off, I think I can handle it.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page