Master thread for Panasonic plasma not turning on - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 2054 Old 09-11-2008, 04:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've got a 42" PZ800U and have run into the blinking light problem from time to time. This occurs when I have it connected to my laptop through a DVI->HDMI adaptor from my laptop onto a rear HDMI port.

I have not extensively experimented with procedures to replicate or mitigate the effect, but some combination of unplugging and power-cycling seems to do the job. Next time I re-wire the TV I'll probably run the DVI through an HDMI receiver... Hopefully that will boost the signals and mitigate the problem?

Sure, I could always connect in the front - but that's unsightly!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2054 Old 09-11-2008, 08:16 PM

Tomorrow will be day 21 with no tv still. Every time I contact BB, they never have an answer. Today, they told me that they will try to have management contact the technician and I should have an update next week. Mmmm, don't think im ever going to buy a BB service plan in the future. Anyway, Im running out of work to do on my house....
post #93 of 2054 Old 09-12-2008, 05:43 PM

I bought this TV in Dec 2006 and have been very happy with it, until two nights ago. Suddenly it will not power on with no LED indicators when pressing power button, just nothing! After reviewing the posts on this excellent forum, I attempted to try a different power source, power cable and then left the unit off for an extended time. After unplugging it for about 24 hours it powered up using the remote control and I left it on while doing some chores. Upon returning a couple hours later the unit had powered off and will not power on.

Panasonic authorized tech coming in a couple of days and says I should expect anywhere from 400 to 600 dollar charge. Panasonic said to fax them the estimate for work but I am not optimistic that they will reimburse me any funds.

I am not afraid to open the unit if someone can give me a hint what to look for. Thanks much... Hey Techniwizard...I live in Ocean County NJ
post #94 of 2054 Old 09-16-2008, 04:38 PM

I've had my Pananasonic TH-50PZ80 for a few months now and have been using an Nvidia 8400GS with an DVI-HDMI cable and the front HDMI port as a workaround to the 10-blink problem.
I recently bought an ATI HD3450 graphics card with HDMI out. Last night I connected my HTPC to the TV using HDMI 2 on the back and was not able to replicate the startup problem. I turned the TV off when the HTPC was on, waited a while and turned on the TV...that worked. Then I tried turning off the HTPC, and then turning on the TV. That worked as well. Is there any other scenario I should try before declaring victory and getting back to watching movies without being bothered by the ugly cable hanging from the front of the TV?
BTW, my old setup (with the 8400GS) would "kill" the TV under both scenarios.
post #95 of 2054 Old 09-18-2008, 05:21 PM

The problem I have encountered is that when i use an dvi>hdmi cable and plug it into the back HDMI ports and the dvi end into a computer i get this problem. If you have another HDMI port on the front of the TV and use that one instead it seems to fix the problem, at least for me . And if i plug my xbox 360 into the same port on the back it works fine, so there is something with a PC to TV connection using the DVI>HDMI cable. I am assuming that with an HDMI port on the Video card or going through an HDMI switch would fix this as well.
post #96 of 2054 Old 09-19-2008, 10:45 PM

Two days ago, I had the same 10 blink error on my brand new TH-42PZ80U on HDMI input 2. I used a simple HDMI Extender/Equalizer between a DVI/HDMI cable and a regula HDMI cable into the TV. It solved the problem. I can now freely switch inputs and switch the monitor on/off with the Computer still running.

System:
1) MAC G5 Quad with a GeForce video card
2) DVI/HDMI Cable
3) HDMI Extender
4) HDMI Cable into HDMI PORT 2 in rear of TV.
5) I have a HD-DVR plugged into HDMI PORT 1.

EDIT: Price: I bought is for $20 at Monoprice, here is the link...
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
post #97 of 2054 Old 09-19-2008, 11:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Magnetic, you are the man! I might not even order that part, as using the front port doesn't bother me (yet).

Just wanted to chime in and say your post, this thread, the others tips...just great stuff. I am super happy with my 42pz80u from best buy (canada). I got a few hundred off retail and it fit in the back seat of my sedan. had the issue of the blinking lights (I don't watch tv, except from the computer. screw watching tv ads, life is too short).

Have to say that the opening sequence to Sith in HD and also bladerunner in hd are so fantastic (cinema mode), that I don't care if something twice as good comes out for half the price by this time next year. I am hooked on this tech. I had a 42 LG LCD earlier this year that I returned cuz I needed the cash for something else, and I remember feeling like I was living in a grey dream, a foggy haze.

This panasonic plasma, while not as bright in the store as the other LCDs around it, just spoke to me (after months of perusing these threads and reading pros + cons). I make video games for a living and now thanks to this TV I'll be able and willing to bring them home and not sit in front of a computer for more hours of the day, and rather sit back from my couch and just enjoy the beauty of it. I was worried about glare but I painted the wall behind the couch a darker colour so I can watch Stargate Atlantis saturday mornings unmolested by too much stray light, but to be honest I spend most of the day time out. It was time to buy, and I'm super happy with this set. The colours are astounding! I mean, sure the reviews suggest some red push or whatever, but I actually think this screen is far more neutral than any other I have watched. I mean, put it this way I don't think slightly more accurate colours would be worth double the price or even a few hundred more. I'd rather spend it at the strip club or upgrading my video card to an x2 4870.

sorry for the long post, just realized this was perhaps the wrong thread for that, oh well. Anyway, the tip to use the front port was great, and that there's a hardware workaround to use the back port with my PC for 20 bucks I'm happy. Now back to more Blade Runner and AVP madness!
post #98 of 2054 Old 09-20-2008, 05:42 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I did not have any blinking red light, but if you pull the HDMI cable from one port and insert it into another port while tv is on, when selecting the other HDMI port, you will get no image. You have shut the power behind and wait a minute or so. Then you get the image. Why is this I do not know.

Also first day I got the tv, after a couple hours of viewing, the tv started glooming and no image. Red light blinked 6 times. Service man came in changed 3 panels and no dice. Store gave me a new set and no problem since then.

PRESENTLY:    TCP55VT60               PREVIOUSLY:    TH46PZ80
PS3 80G
IR 2 BT RE-BL
DENON AVR1910
FIBETV MOTOROLA VIP-1232
PARADIGM MONITOR 7 v6 front speakers
KLIPSCH SUBWOOFER KSW10
kLIPSCH SATELITE SS-1
kLIPSCH CENTER SC-1
HARMONY ONE

post #99 of 2054 Old 09-20-2008, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 129
this set is so sick, it's sweet.

the only thing wrong with my 42 incher is that it's not a 46 or 50 within a month I might exchange it for the 46 pz80 or 85 if I can get it for around the same price on special. There is a slim row on the far right of the set that is missing a color (i.e. when it's black it's fine but it's like the red is missing for 4-8 pixels strip vertically on the edge. Anyway, I can barely notice it, but it gives me mental ease to know it'll probably allow me to exchange it for a bigger set without too much worries. There are no bad pixels or other issues. Is it a toss up whether other problems would be on any replacement set. It kills me to think I might have to go through this trade in hassle, but if I'm keeping the set for 10 years I think 4 extra inches and no stripe on the far side would do me good. what do you guys think? am I being too picky? aside from the size increase I'm not sure I'd replace it for these minor issues.

But hey, why not min-max to try to get the best you can get, right?
post #100 of 2054 Old 09-20-2008, 01:59 PM

Is it safe to say that this red blinking light problem can be avoided completely if you don't connect a computer to the Panasonic at all, or if you do, only use the front/side port? I am sold on the idea that I will buy a 46pz85u within the next month, and would feel a fool if this happened to me even after being warned. It would be like the Xbox 360 thing all over again.

Is this only a computer->HDMI issue? What about the VGA connection?
post #101 of 2054 Old 09-20-2008, 05:32 PM

TH-46PZ80U 2 Weeks old. Dead and blinking 10 times. The set is beautiful but the blinking light now haunts us! I think we are the first 46pz80u to post unless I missed one. 2 WEEKS OLD! UNACCEPTABLE! Sorry for the yelling and thanks for letting me vent.
post #102 of 2054 Old 09-20-2008, 05:56 PM

I picked up one of the 42" models from
Costco last week, and noticed the 10-blink problem from my HTPC. I first thougt it was related to using a programmable remote and trying to get discrete input codes to work. I discovered today that it works through the front port like for so many others. This HTPC has a Geforce 7600GT. I have another HTPC with an ATI 2600HD pro, and it works fine with all 3 HDMI ports, as does a SA8300HDC cable box. I can live with the HTPC cable sticking out the front so I can return the cable box and save the $$$.
post #103 of 2054 Old 09-20-2008, 08:31 PM

Never realized so many people connected their computers to their plasmas. So, is this only an issue with people who connect their PCs to their TVs?

Is it safe to say that this red blinking light problem can be avoided completely if you don't connect a computer to the Panasonic at all, or if you do, only use the front/side port? What about the VGA connection?
post #104 of 2054 Old 09-22-2008, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebadooo View Post

Is it safe to say that this red blinking light problem can be avoided completely if you don't connect a computer to the Panasonic at all, or if you do, only use the front/side port? I am sold on the idea that I will buy a 46pz85u within the next month, and would feel a fool if this happened to me even after being warned. It would be like the Xbox 360 thing all over again.

Is this only a computer->HDMI issue? What about the VGA connection?

Not all of the blinking light problems are related to pc hookups. Mine in not connected to a pc (7 blinks), and It crapped out on me. Even through all the mess though, I am still going to buy another panasonic eventually.
Today also marks exactly 1 month that bestbuy has still not fixed my plasma yet. The technician says that he has been too busy to call and order the parts. I am now in the process of trying to get my money back so someone can have this fixed before christmas.
post #105 of 2054 Old 09-22-2008, 06:06 PM

Seshwan: see post 97 above.
post #106 of 2054 Old 09-22-2008, 08:05 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by seshwan View Post

TH-46PZ80U 2 Weeks old. Dead and blinking 10 times. The set is beautiful but the blinking light now haunts us! I think we are the first 46pz80u to post unless I missed one. 2 WEEKS OLD! UNACCEPTABLE! Sorry for the yelling and thanks for letting me vent.

What are the details? Do you have a PC connected to the TV via one of the rear HDMI inputs? If not, what sources and connections cause the 10 blinks?

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #107 of 2054 Old 09-22-2008, 08:13 PM

Guess I can join the "Blinking LED" club...

I have a TH-42PZ77U that I purchased from Sears back in Novermber 2007. The set worked great until last week, when it stopped responding to the remote while I was channel surfing. It wouldn't even switch off when I pressed the power button on the front of the TV, so I had to unplug the set. I waited a couple of minutes, then plugged it back into the surge protector. Heard a series of clicks, then I pressed the power button on the front. The power LED came on, but there was no picture or sound, and the cooling fans on the back didn't spin up either.

After a couple of minutes, I noticed the power LED flashing 13 times, pausing, then repeating the sequence.

The Panasonic service rep is coming to attempt a repair tomorrow, but based on the large number of reports here of similar problems happening even after the sets are repaired, I don't have much confidence in my Panasonic anymore.
post #108 of 2054 Old 09-22-2008, 09:49 PM

Well. I just finished reading all 4 pages of this thread. Good to know but geeez!! I think it's like watching the news too much. All you hear is how bad it all is. I assume for every guy that's getting the blinks there's a thousand other guys with no problems. At least I hope that is the case as I'm ordering a Panny 800U this Friday.

Edit: I will be buying a good extended warranty however.
post #109 of 2054 Old 10-01-2008, 11:27 AM

Bestbuy tech finally came over today. Apparently, he now needs a different part. He's going to order the one we need. Today is day 40. I wonder how long they are going to stretch this out.
post #110 of 2054 Old 10-01-2008, 02:32 PM

I dropped my Panasonic 42" plasma with the 7-blinks off with the TV repairman about 1 month ago. I haven't seen it since. I should have known better when he said, "meet me at the water supply parking lot, bring the TV" but then again, he's the only TV repairman on this island. I called him a week ago and he said "we're making progress" and I asked what that meant and he said, "Panasonic is starting to pay my back bills, they owe me". I asked if my TV was repaired, he said, "they sent parts, but they were the wrong ones. But we are making progress."

I still don't know what that means.

I searched Google for this tech's phone number, and it came up with 2 listings on craigslist here in Hawaii, one titled "Selling my Jeep $14,900 OBO" and the other titled, "WTB: 30-40' Sailboat, will trade Jeep". That last one was intriguing, so I read it and it describes that he's planning to sell his stuff and leave the island and cruise around Tahiti.

I'm not kidding.

I'm considering I may never see my 42" plasma again, at least not repaired by the island TV repairman turned Jimmy Buffett (referred to me by Panasonic) by the time he sells his Jeep and buys his sailboat. Oh well. I bought a Sony LCD last week.

Life in the outer-islands of Hawaii. What can I say.
post #111 of 2054 Old 10-02-2008, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottkeen View Post

I dropped my Panasonic 42" plasma with the 7-blinks off with the TV repairman about 1 month ago. I haven't seen it since. I should have known better when he said, "meet me at the water supply parking lot, bring the TV" but then again, he's the only TV repairman on this island. I called him a week ago and he said "we're making progress" and I asked what that meant and he said, "Panasonic is starting to pay my back bills, they owe me". I asked if my TV was repaired, he said, "they sent parts, but they were the wrong ones. But we are making progress."

I still don't know what that means.

I searched Google for this tech's phone number, and it came up with 2 listings on craigslist here in Hawaii, one titled "Selling my Jeep $14,900 OBO" and the other titled, "WTB: 30-40' Sailboat, will trade Jeep". That last one was intriguing, so I read it and it describes that he's planning to sell his stuff and leave the island and cruise around Tahiti.

I'm not kidding.

I'm considering I may never see my 42" plasma again, at least not repaired by the island TV repairman turned Jimmy Buffett (referred to me by Panasonic) by the time he sells his Jeep and buys his sailboat. Oh well. I bought a Sony LCD last week.

Life in the outer-islands of Hawaii. What can I say.

Im sorry for lauging at your misfortune, but that is kinda hilarious. At least you get a funny story to tell.
post #112 of 2054 Old 10-04-2008, 06:52 AM

Hi all. I'm in the same boat at joe_kate77 is in post #94 above. I've got a 58PX60U and one day it just decided to not turn on; no power LED (hence no blinking pattern). I've tried differnt power sources, different plug cords, turning it on from the remote, leaving it unplugged for a while = nothing.

I'm guessing that it's a power supply related issue but I'd like to know if anyone else has had this exact same problem or can provide a potential solution. I'm pretty technically inclined so replacing components doesn't bother me. If I can find out what is wrong (probably have to call Panasonic Consierge and pay to get a tech to look at it ) then I'd look into getting the parts and replacing them myself. Does anybody know of a location which sells replacement "boards" for these sets? BTW, the set is exactly 2 years old (build date 9/06). Thanks for any help.
post #113 of 2054 Old 10-04-2008, 09:40 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Pokey321 View Post

Hi all. I'm in the same boat at joe_kate77 is in post #94 above. I've got a 58PX60U and one day it just decided to not turn on; no power LED (hence no blinking pattern)....... the set is exactly 2 years old (build date 9/06).

If you bought it with a good credit card with that feature that adds one year to the manufacturer's warranty, and if you've had the TV for less than two whole years then your CC company, have them pay to get it fixed ASAP.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
post #114 of 2054 Old 10-04-2008, 05:26 PM

Well, I also got the dreaded 7 blinking light syndrome as well.

7 blinks and it wont turn on. Its a TH-42PZ77U, build date September 2007.

Its been 10 and 1/2 months since I bought the set. So luckily im still in the warranty period, but what happens if this happens again.

The BIG problem I have is that I live in Canada, but I bought the set from Sears in New York State. Im going to have trouble getting Panasonic of Canada fix the problem. I might have to pack the set in the back seat of my car and drive it down to Watertown, New York.

What a huge headache. Iam going to complain like there is no tommorrow, and get them to extend the warranty for atleast another year.

This is absolutely rediculous.
post #115 of 2054 Old 10-05-2008, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

If you bought it with a good credit card with that feature that adds one year to the manufacturer's warranty, and if you've had the TV for less than two whole years then your CC company, have them pay to get it fixed ASAP.

Follow up to my power problem 123Pokey321 and more.

Board had to be replaced...cost 522.
Panasonic reps said they consider all cases to determine if they will refund any costs to repair. I knew the truth going in but what the heck. Yesterday they simply told me it was past warranty and am on my own. SURPRISE. he he

Randy Walters is right...talk to your cred card company.
Still though, the set is 20 months old...geez
post #116 of 2054 Old 10-06-2008, 12:31 PM

Just got a TH-42PZ80U delivered from 6ave.com via Amazon.

Opened it up on saw numerous cracks on the right side of the screen, then set it up and turned it on. First there was a loud buzzing noise, so I realized something was wrong and turned it off, then it started up with four blinking red lights.

I turned it on again a few minutes later and saw some sort of flash at the bottom of the screen, then it went into 10 blinking red lights and the power button no longer does anything.

What's the best way to go about resolving this? Take it up with 6ave.com or talk to the Concierge people?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Just emailed 6ave, we'll see what happens.
post #117 of 2054 Old 10-06-2008, 03:18 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKaboom2 View Post

Just got a TH-42PZ80U delivered from 6ave.com via Amazon. Opened it up on saw numerous cracks on the right side of the screen, then set it up and turned it on. First there was a loud buzzing noise, so I realized something was wrong ......

I would have realized something was wrong as soon as i saw those numerous cracks

Quote:

What's the best way to go about resolving this? Take it up with 6ave.com or talk to the Concierge people?

Panasonic Concierge has nothing to do with it - the unit was broken during shipping so it's up to 6th ave or their delivery people to replace the set.

Randy
post #118 of 2054 Old 10-06-2008, 03:38 PM

Yeah, that's what I figured. How do they usually go about getting the set back? Will I have to ship it myself?
post #119 of 2054 Old 10-07-2008, 02:56 PM

I have a TH 50PX80U and had the 10 blinking light problem with my HDMI HTPC. Ultimately, Panasonic is sending me an "HDMI Extender/Adapter" (for free) which is supposed to fix the problem. I haven't received it, yet, so I can't confirm it works, but the engineer claimed that it would. I will report back after I have tried it. Also, I found another work around. I have a monoprice HDMI 4 way switcher, which also seems to "fix" the problem.
post #120 of 2054 Old 10-07-2008, 04:27 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKaboom2 View Post

Yeah, that's what I figured. How do they usually go about getting the set back? Will I have to ship it myself?

Usually the vendor will arrange for the trucking company to pick up the broken plasma when they deliver the replacement, or they might deliver the new plasma and have a different truck pick up the broken one later, or they'll have the broken one picked up first to inspect it, then send out the new one if they're satisfied that the unit was damaged in shipping. I don't know what 6th Ave's specific policy is - maybe call them as ask how it will go down.

Randy
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page