Master thread for Panasonic plasma not turning on - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1171 of 2046 Old 09-27-2011, 02:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had two Panasonics fail in under four years. My current 50PZ85 just recently would not turn on, and indicate two blinks. Unplugging the AC for a spell and plugging the TV back in sometimes got the TV to comeback on, could even watch for hours, but as soon as I turned it off, it won't come on. I read here a lot of references, of course, to 2 blinks, but I am having a hard time finding posts with confirmed solutions. 2 blinks is 15 volt power supply board, supposedly. Can anybody tell me which one that is and where it is loacted on my TV? I can trouble shoot to component level if I know what board to focus on. Thanks/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 2046 Old 09-27-2011, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo DV8 View Post

My current 50PZ85 just recently would not turn on, and indicate two blinks.

It might be helpful to start here, page 9.

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #1173 of 2046 Old 09-28-2011, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo DV8 View Post

I've had two Panasonics fail in under four years. My current 50PZ85 just recently would not turn on, and indicate two blinks. Unplugging the AC for a spell and plugging the TV back in sometimes got the TV to comeback on, could even watch for hours, but as soon as I turned it off, it won't come on. I read here a lot of references, of course, to 2 blinks, but I am having a hard time finding posts with confirmed solutions. 2 blinks is 15 volt power supply board, supposedly. Can anybody tell me which one that is and where it is loacted on my TV? I can trouble shoot to component level if I know what board to focus on. Thanks/

2 Blinks and intermittent - probably the MC201 module (if your P-board has one). Back up about 6-7 pages and read through them. The answer is probably in there.
Good luck!
post #1174 of 2046 Old 09-30-2011, 11:45 AM

This is what I've discovered on my TC-P50G10 with 5 blinks:

Original P-Board + Original A-Board = 5 Blinks
Original P-Board + Replacement A-Board = 5 Blinks
Replacement P-Board + Replacement A-Board = 3 Blinks
Replacement P-Board + Original A-Board = 3 Blinks

Changing the P-Board changes the number of blinks from 5 to 3, but changing the A-board does not. Does that mean that the A-Board is not the culprit and that the P-Board I received is also broken but has a different failure than my original?

Or maybe, both boards needed to be replaced, but the original and replacement A-boards are both defective? I can't find the technician guide for the 2009 model TV's like mine, but the 2010 guide for 3 blinks reads: "In previous generations of Panasonic Plasma TVs (With the exception of the 2009 model, TC-P54Z1), a 3 blinks error code was normally caused by the A or DG board."
post #1175 of 2046 Old 10-03-2011, 01:03 PM

Hi all,

I have a Panasonic TH37PE50B, and recently after a few mins after turning it on it switches off automatically and a sequence of 4 red blinks follows in standby mode.

Does anyone know what the problem is? And if so a possible solution? My dad is a electrician but he seems stumped with this problem, he suspects its the power supply.

All help much appreciated, thanks.
post #1176 of 2046 Old 10-04-2011, 05:54 AM

So I have the 10 blink on a TH42PZ77. I bought it in 2007 and obviously warranties are all expired. Should I even waste my time calling Panasonic or just chalk it up as a loss and move on?
post #1177 of 2046 Old 10-04-2011, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannzo24 View Post

So I have the 10 blink on a TH42PZ77. I bought it in 2007 and obviously warranties are all expired. Should I even waste my time calling Panasonic or just chalk it up as a loss and move on?

Panasonic has offered an extended warranty for your model for a particular problem. It may be covered, but Panasonic would know for sure.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=20818196

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #1178 of 2046 Old 10-04-2011, 01:32 PM

FYI - sometimes its not a problem with the TV. I had mine plugged into one of those lightning secure, brick power sources that weigh like 200lbs - I called Panasonic, but the tech department didn't pick up. Instead it was just customer service (very nice lady). She asked that I get an extension cord and plug the TV somewhere else - I didn't even need to do that. Just for shits and giggles I plugged the TV directly into the wall instead of the power source lol. And guess what?

It worked. YAY
post #1179 of 2046 Old 10-04-2011, 02:43 PM
JKN

Thanks to kdh05 and the rest of you folks I have fixed a TH-42PZ80U that was destined for the scrap heap with a 3 cent cap. Same story as the rest of you. Checked good when removed but changing it out eliminated the 2 blink error and she's alive again. Next time I have to change one of those I am taking it to work to use the microscope and an iron with a micro tip. Got it done with a flashlight, magnifying glass and my std iron but it wasn't easy or pretty.
Thanks again.
post #1180 of 2046 Old 10-05-2011, 07:41 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristiambrose View Post

FYI - sometimes its not a problem with the TV. I had mine plugged into one of those lightning secure, brick power sources that weigh like 200lbs - I called Panasonic, but the tech department didn't pick up. Instead it was just customer service (very nice lady). She asked that I get an extension cord and plug the TV somewhere else - I didn't even need to do that. Just for shits and giggles I plugged the TV directly into the wall instead of the power source lol. And guess what? It worked. YAY

They usually just tell you that to get you off the phone because 99.999% of the time if there is a blinking light on the front of the TV then it really is the TV that has a problem. You obviously didn't have a blinking light since the TV wasn't getting power from your dead UPS so the TV simply thought it was unplugged.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #1181 of 2046 Old 10-05-2011, 09:34 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipdalou View Post

I own a 42PX700U (I think - going off of memory here). I've owned it for I would say probably about 5 years - it was purchased new at Best Buy.

Just had the 7 blinking lights start a couple weeks ago and I'm curious if it's even worth trying to get fixed, or if it is more feasible to just pursue a new set. Luckily it is no longer my main set, but the girlfriend absolutely hates going to sleep with no TV.

Any feedback or experiences with repair costs this far out of warranty would be appreciated.

Edit: Forgot to add that I most likely no longer have any of the receipts from that long ago.

Just wanted to follow up on this issue I brought up 2 pages ago.

Randy and Tom were correct - Panasonic fixed it for free. They said they'd diagnose it for free, and if it was the commonly known issue, fix it for free. But, the guy who showed up never asked a question and just put the new board in. Didn't have to furnish a receipt or anything - just told Panasonic on the phone the approximate date I bought it.

Just wanted to say thanks again to Randy and Tom and let everyone know it was fully covered even though I bought it 4 or 5 years ago.

XBox Live: Mystaphyer / ConmansMom

post #1182 of 2046 Old 10-05-2011, 10:32 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipdalou View Post

Just wanted to follow up on this issue I brought up 2 pages ago.

Randy and Tom were correct - Panasonic fixed it for free. They said they'd diagnose it for free, and if it was the commonly known issue, fix it for free. But, the guy who showed up never asked a question and just put the new board in. Didn't have to furnish a receipt or anything - just told Panasonic on the phone the approximate date I bought it.

Just wanted to say thanks again to Randy and Tom and let everyone know it was fully covered even though I bought it 4 or 5 years ago.

Happy it worked out for you. If the tech didn't update your firmware after he replaced your board, go to Panasonic's website and do it yourself. The new firmware apparently prevents the issue that you and I had. My tech told me that Panasonic will only pay the freight once, so be sure you have the updated firmware.
post #1183 of 2046 Old 10-05-2011, 11:24 AM

Liked: 11
Oops! Yeah I forgot to mention - the tech updated the firmware. Looked like the new board came with the SD card from Panasonic. Thanks for the reminder!

XBox Live: Mystaphyer / ConmansMom

post #1184 of 2046 Old 10-10-2011, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stpro View Post

Hi all,

I have a Panasonic TH37PE50B, and recently after a few mins after turning it on it switches off automatically and a sequence of 4 red blinks follows in standby mode.

Does anyone know what the problem is? And if so a possible solution? My dad is a electrician but he seems stumped with this problem, he suspects its the power supply.

All help much appreciated, thanks.

Anyone? Please.
post #1185 of 2046 Old 10-10-2011, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have a Panasonic TH37PE50B, and recently after a few mins after turning it on it switches off automatically and a sequence of 4 red blinks follows in standby mode ... suspects its the power supply.

There are two service hint manuals available. I could not find the service manual for your model.

Service Hints - Power Supply
Service Hints - Signal

post #1186 of 2046 Old 10-10-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwil View Post

There are two service hint manuals available. I could not find the service manual for your model.

Service Hints - Power Supply
Service Hints - Signal

Hi mate, thanks for the reply.

The problem i'm having is that, i know it's most likely the power supply, and i have the service manual (link below), but as my dad is not great with reading english he is a little stumped with the instructions. If someone on here could possibly tell me a couple of things that could possibly be causing the problem then i can relay them to my dad so he can have a look.

Anyone? All help much appreciated.

http://elektrotanya.com/panasonic_50.../download.html
post #1187 of 2046 Old 10-10-2011, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The problem i'm having is that, i know it's most likely the power supply, and i have the service manual (link below), but as my dad is not great with reading english he is a little stumped with the instructions.

http://elektrotanya.com/panasonic_50.../download.html

Page 10 is what you need in that manual. It has a flowchart that systematically determines what board might be defective through voltage measurements and isolation of boards.

There is not much more information that can be added. Maybe someone near you who is more fluent in english can help. You can try to replace the P board blindly, but be aware that other boards could actually be the defective one.

post #1188 of 2046 Old 10-10-2011, 01:48 PM

40 page thread on Panny's breaking...is this a joke?? Do LEDs have this same kind of issue with boards frying or whatever??

Love Panasonic PQ but need to decide quick on a decent TV that wont give much trouble. At this point, I prefer my CRT WEGA.
post #1189 of 2046 Old 10-11-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwil View Post

Page 10 is what you need in that manual. It has a flowchart that systematically determines what board might be defective through voltage measurements and isolation of boards.

There is not much more information that can be added. Maybe someone near you who is more fluent in english can help. You can try to replace the P board blindly, but be aware that other boards could actually be the defective one.

Cheers mate, will try and translate the instructions myself, must admit after giving the instructions a brief glance i have no idea what they are trying to say, but will look at it in more depth later on.

Thanks again.
post #1190 of 2046 Old 10-15-2011, 09:32 AM

I have the TC-P54VT25 and this morning TV tunred on, then after a couple minutes turned off. I have a red blinking light that blinks 11 times before a pause. The TV is less than 1 year old.. Downloaded service manual, looks like a fan board is bad..
post #1191 of 2046 Old 10-15-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smon View Post

I have the TC-P54VT25 and this morning TV tunred on, then after a couple minutes turned off. I have a red blinking light that blinks 11 times before a pause. The TV is less than 1 year old.. Downloaded service manual, looks like a fan board is bad..

Maybe a fan is stuck. Using a flashlight, see if you can tell if each fan turns when you turn the tv on. If one does not spin, that is your problem.
Let us know how it comes out.
post #1192 of 2046 Old 10-15-2011, 10:11 AM

Facing the TV, the fan on the left side does not spin, right side does. Just got off the phone with Panasonic, technician coming on Wednesday to fix..
post #1193 of 2046 Old 10-15-2011, 10:54 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:

Facing the TV, the fan on the left side does not spin, right side does. Just got off the phone with Panasonic, technician coming on Wednesday to fix..

Try flicking the fan blade with a toothpick immediately after turning the TV on and see if you can unstick it.

When the TV is off can you manually spin the fan spin as easily as the good one ? The fan may just be goobered up. Are the fans really dusty?

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
post #1194 of 2046 Old 10-16-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Try flicking the fan blade with a toothpick immediately after turning the TV on and see if you can unstick it.

When the TV is off can you manually spin the fan spin as easily as the good one ? The fan may just be goobered up. Are the fans really dusty?

Well, you were right. I have one of the compressed clean air cans for electronics and blew the fan off and it spun real nicely. Turned the TV on and it is working perfectly.

Thank for the help!!
post #1195 of 2046 Old 10-16-2011, 10:27 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:

Well, you were right. I have one of the compressed clean air cans for electronics and blew the fan off and it spun real nicely. Turned the TV on and it is working perfectly. Thank for the help!!

Nice. Those fans are dust magnets. Several years ago a buddy had the same thing happen to his old Panny. I was able to get his fan moving with a toothpick and the TV came on. His fans had so much dust we had to remove the rear cover and i removed the fans and took them outside to blow them out, then i carefully vacuumed the boards before putting it all back together and the TV ran fine after that.

On my own Plasmas, i routinely clean the fans by holding the vacuum hose near the fan vent holes with the TV turned on, then use gentle short bursts of canned air to dislodge the dust so the fans can blow it out the vents, whereupon i immediately suck it up with the vacuum hose. This works pretty good.

Randy
post #1196 of 2046 Old 10-17-2011, 11:51 AM

Hi kdh05:
Thank you so much for your inputs. I have two 50pz80u sets with the same 10 blink problem. I've been studying the schematics and smps design for months, but your posts are the first breakthrough I've had yet!
I traced everything back to the MCx01 modules after testing every discrete mosfet, diode, cap, photocoupler, ect. on the board... and after reading your posts last night I tried a quick "shot in the dark" to put in the 4.7k resistor (an ingenious fix too... this looks so sound it could be part of the standard design!). So far this did not work, so I'll go back with your other checks on the tea1611t and report what comes up. Meanwhile, if you have any other info on the mcx01 modules (like any schematics you derived?) I would be very grateful to learn more.
btw... did you test the 1uf smd with an esr meter? I'm wondering if I should invest in an esr meter before I continue....
Again, thanks a million!
post #1197 of 2046 Old 10-18-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipset View Post

Hi kdh05:
Thank you so much for your inputs. I have two 50pz80u sets with the same 10 blink problem. I've been studying the schematics and smps design for months, but your posts are the first breakthrough I've had yet!
I traced everything back to the MCx01 modules after testing every discrete mosfet, diode, cap, photocoupler, ect. on the board... and after reading your posts last night I tried a quick "shot in the dark" to put in the 4.7k resistor (an ingenious fix too... this looks so sound it could be part of the standard design!). So far this did not work, so I'll go back with your other checks on the tea1611t and report what comes up. Meanwhile, if you have any other info on the mcx01 modules (like any schematics you derived?) I would be very grateful to learn more.
btw... did you test the 1uf smd with an esr meter? I'm wondering if I should invest in an esr meter before I continue....
Again, thanks a million!

I never checked with an esr meter because the cap is leaking. The esr would be looking for greater than usual impedance, vs less than usual. I may try that next time just for grins, but I wouldn't suggest investing in a meter.

If you do the voltage check with the board on a bench, you should be able to tell if too much current is being drawn through the 4.3k resistor (or 4.7k). Then remove the cap and check again. Most likely, it will test correctly now.

Sorry, the only schematics I have are in my head (and not too clear there )

Good luck with it, you're almost there!
post #1198 of 2046 Old 10-18-2011, 09:54 PM

did you ever get your panasonic plasma 10 blink error code fixed?
post #1199 of 2046 Old 10-21-2011, 09:09 PM

had the 10 light blink on the TH-50PZ85U ,changed power supply,works fine now.
post #1200 of 2046 Old 10-23-2011, 07:16 AM

I still can't get my Panasonic TC-P50G10 up and running. I've replaced the P-board, A-board, and all the C-boards, yet I still get 3 blinks. I guess I'll try the SC/SU/SD and SS/SS2 boards next.

I'm hoping it's not the panel, but from what I've read, you don't get 3 blinks for a bad panel unless the TV is a 2010 or newer model.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page