post #1321 of 2060 Old 02-01-2012, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisng View Post

I have the two blink problem with my 50PZ800 and am attempting to replace the 1uf capacitor on MC201 and MC301 as identified by kdh05 earlier in this thread. I was hoping you could tell me if a) the capacitor has polarity (i assume yes) b) how the polarity is orientated and c) what is the package size of a cap that can fit (so I can order one online)

I was intending to order a 1uf 25v tantalum (is 25v sufficient voltage as dtvjho used a 50v) which has a band to indicate polarity but the existing cap on MC201 is not marked. If we could use post #1111 as a reference can somebody help me with which side has what polarity?

In going back through this thread, I found this post which might be helpful:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdh05 View Post

@ kdh05: I soldered on a 1uf tantalum cap and sure enough it worked! Can you tell me what direction I should have installed the cap in for proper polarity?

Negative should be up towards the edge of the module. Positive down towards the center of the module (towards the P board).

As you know, it is a soldering challenge. Make sure you have good solder joints, and no shorts/bridges.

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1322 of 2060 Old 02-01-2012, 01:04 PM

Liked: 10
Wow I really dont know how I missed that!

Thanks Tomwil.
post #1323 of 2060 Old 02-01-2012, 07:15 PM

Opps. Page 42 post 1240
post #1324 of 2060 Old 02-02-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dofin View Post

Hi ! According to the service manual, a 10 times blinking code, points to the A-Board. My TV is a TC-P50S2 bought in July 2010 and just died on Thrusday, January, 26, 2012: 18 months old.
The Part number of the A-Board is TNPH08312A. Would there be a difference between a TNPH0831 or a TNPH08313A ? I am no technician but technically inclined.
Thanks.

I also have the tcp 50s2 exact same age as yours. At first I had no power at all so i bought a new power board the first power board they sent I put in and it gave me the 10 blink code. They sent me a second replacement and this one powers the tv up but the picture is barely recognizable. So I am at a loss I don't know if it is the power board or the a video board. Hopefully someone will help us. Please post if you find a solution. Thanks
eenymeneminymo is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message
post #1325 of 2060 Old 02-03-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eenymeneminymo View Post

I also have the tcp 50s2 exact same age as yours. At first I had no power at all so i bought a new power board the first power board they sent I put in and it gave me the 10 blink code. They sent me a second replacement and this one powers the tv up but the picture is barely recognizable. So I am at a loss I don't know if it is the power board or the a video board. Hopefully someone will help us. Please post if you find a solution. Thanks

As I did not received a message to guide me through this jungle of technical diagnosis and repairs, at least for me, I gave up and file a complaint directly to Panasonic. Since then, I've been in contact with Panasonic in Mississauga, Ontario and my TV is now at the repair shop for evaluation: Panasonic requiring an estimate. So far, this has cost me 80$ which will be applied to the cost of repair.
I've been told by someone at the repairshop that Panasonic usually pays the part's cost and leave the customer with labor costs, varying between 100$ and 200$.
Although I am not happy with Panasonic position, this scenario is the safest to get my TV repaired, unfortunately not in time for the SuperBowl ! Buying parts from Ebay or shopjimmy or else, would have been at least, cost equivalent, giving I identified the faulty board at the first attempt. But as you know, 10 times blinks pinpoint towards 4 boards: P. A, SS and SC boards.
Without a proper troubleshooting guide, I did not want, and can not, go through a painful and frustrating trial and error process. Hope you will get help.
By the way, our laws in Quebec, still hold the manufacturer liable for a product that does not function properly for a reasonnable frame time. For example, an 18 months period of good functionning is not considered enough for a tv set. I will probably test it, if Panasonic does not entirely assume the repair cost. But filing a suit can takes 1½ year before a decision. Good luck.
post #1326 of 2060 Old 02-03-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dofin View Post

As I did not received a message to guide me through this jungle of technical diagnosis and repairs, at least for me, I gave up and file a complaint directly to Panasonic. Since then, I've been in contact with Panasonic in Mississauga, Ontario and my TV is now at the repair shop for evaluation: Panasonic requiring an estimate. So far, this has cost me 80$ which will be applied to the cost of repair.
I've been told by someone at the repairshop that Panasonic usually pays the part's cost and leave the customer with labor costs, varying between 100$ and 200$.
Although I am not happy with Panasonic position, this scenario is the safest to get my TV repaired, unfortunately not in time for the SuperBowl ! Buying parts from Ebay or shopjimmy or else, would have been at least, cost equivalent, giving I identified the faulty board at the first attempt. But as you know, 10 times blinks pinpoint towards 4 boards: P. A, SS and SC boards.
Without a proper troubleshooting guide, I did not want, and can not, go through a painful and frustrating trial and error process. Hope you will get help.
By the way, our laws in Quebec, still hold the manufacturer liable for a product that does not function properly for a reasonnable frame time. For example, an 18 months period of good functionning is not considered enough for a tv set. I will probably test it, if Panasonic does not entirely assume the repair cost. But filing a suit can takes 1½ year before a decision. Good luck.

The problem I have with that is that if I fix it what says it wont keep happening! I am very frusterated!! I think this tv is disopsable and I'm jacked right up over it!
post #1327 of 2060 Old 02-04-2012, 12:24 PM

I have a Panasonic TH50-PZ85U, 3 years old, got the 7 blinks of death.

I followed the diagnostic procedure in the Panasonic service manual and diagnosed it to the SU board. Replaced the SU board with one from shopjimmy.

Now the TV comes on, but I have some horizontal lines that are blacked out. Removed the ribbon cables, cleaned everything with contact cleaner, blew it all out with canned air, put it all back together again, the TV still comes on, but different lines are blacked out.

I've done this 3 times now (including once with the SU board removed from the chassis) so I'm pretty sure it's down to a ribbon cable problem. Anyone have any good advice on how to align the ribbon cables to the connector?

Much thanks in advance!
post #1328 of 2060 Old 02-06-2012, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcgr View Post

Anyone have any good advice on how to align the ribbon cables to the connector?

Much thanks in advance!

After several hours of googling, I finally figured it out, thanks to a video on youtube that I'm not allowed to post the URL of, it's called "Panasonic 50" Plasma TC-P50U1 Repair Light blinks 6 times" on youtube.

The ribbon cables have to be pushed into the connectors HARD. Pushing them in until they stop is not enough.

If you look closely at the sides of the ribbon cable, they have a little triangle sticking out of each side near the connector end - you can barely see them, but you can feel them if you run your finger along the edge of the ribbon cable.

To get the cables in properly, you have to put the ribbon cables into the connectors , keeping them low and close to the circuit board as you do so. When you feel them stop, you have to give an extra push to get the little triangles into the connector. I did this a side at a time, pinching the ribbon cable to get enough force on the cable without bending it.

If you have the cable in the connector properly, you'll feel a positive "click" as you close the connector down, as opposed to a softer "mush" feel when closing the connector down on an incorrectly seated ribbon cable.

I hope this is helpful to someone!
post #1329 of 2060 Old 02-06-2012, 06:13 PM

Just my luck, my TH50PZ80U croaked again, just 3 weeks after replacing the 1uF capacitor on MC301. Then the TV was 10 blinks, now it's 2 blinks. Time to go replace the same cap on MC201...
See also: Posts #896 (Jan 2011), #1111 (Aug 2011), #1292 (Jan 2012).
post #1330 of 2060 Old 02-07-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eenymeneminymo View Post

The problem I have with that is that if I fix it what says it wont keep happening! I am very frusterated!! I think this tv is disopsable and I'm jacked right up over it!

That's why I took my TV to the authorized Panasonic repair shop and finally, after one week, they come up with an estimate: it is the SC board, one of the possible four one when you got the 10 times light blinking. It is not always the power unit (P-Board), nor the main (A-Board), so you would have to troubleshoot it accurately.
Now, let's see what Panasonic will pay from this close to 300$ estimate. Just to remember, I've already assumed the 80$ estimate cost.

Update as Friday, February 10: Panasonic has made an offer: parts needed will be paid but not labor cost. I refused it and they came back with a split on labor which will left me with the cost of estimate, already paid, 80$.
post #1331 of 2060 Old 02-09-2012, 05:36 PM

I have a TC-P58S1 that started not turning on and giving me 7 blinking red lights a couple months ago. I was able to get it to turn on by unplugging-replugging the power (PITA). Suddenly, about a week ago, it began to turn on normally again!

The only thing I did in the mean time was turn a breaker off and on again while I installed a dimmer light switch in our kitchen (adjacent to where the TV is set up).

Anyway, no real useful advice here as it is probably coincidental but thought I'd post my experience. Will continue to monitor...
post #1332 of 2060 Old 02-12-2012, 09:17 AM

unsure of how many blinks we are getting but on "estimate" what would it cost to replace the power supply or video board
We haven't bought the tv yet, someone is selling it for $50
Worth the cost to repair it?
Thanks!!
post #1333 of 2060 Old 02-12-2012, 10:43 AM

Panasonic plasma TC-P46ST30 7 blinks, hairline cracks in upper right.

New plasma but it arrived with this problem. I was reimbursed and the plasma was left with me to dispose. I am going to try to fix it with a friend who runs a high end audio repair shop.

Thanks to links posted by tomwil, I got the service manual which says 7 blinks means problem with Driver SOS2 either in SU/SD Connector DET or SU/SD Scan and Logic IC. Manual also suggests using the SC jig to determine if the failure board is the SC or SU/SD.

I am planning to go ahead and will update with the results. I am slightly concerned about the hairline cracks in the upper right but they are almost not noticeable.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks.
post #1334 of 2060 Old 02-12-2012, 06:42 PM

When trying to replace the capacitor on the MC301 module I ripped off one of the pads. Is there a way to get a replacement MC301 module or do I need to get a whole new power supply board?
post #1335 of 2060 Old 02-12-2012, 07:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboy3 View Post

Panasonic plasma TC-P46ST30 7 blinks, hairline cracks in upper right.

New plasma but it arrived with this problem. I was reimbursed and the plasma was left with me to dispose. I am going to try to fix it with a friend who runs a high end audio repair shop.

Thanks to links posted by tomwil, I got the service manual which says 7 blinks means problem with Driver SOS2 either in SU/SD Connector DET or SU/SD Scan and Logic IC. Manual also suggests using the SC jig to determine if the failure board is the SC or SU/SD.

I am planning to go ahead and will update with the results. I am slightly concerned about the hairline cracks in the upper right but they are almost not noticeable.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks.

You are wasting your time if you try to fix a plasma TV that has display panel with a cracked glass.

If the display panel has any cracks at all in it, no matter how small they are. The TV is not fixable without replacing the cracked panel.
post #1336 of 2060 Old 02-15-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post

You are wasting your time if you try to fix a plasma TV that has display panel with a cracked glass.

If the display panel has any cracks at all in it, no matter how small they are. The TV is not fixable without replacing the cracked panel.

Thanks, Johnla. I did not know this. Since a new plasma panel costs more than a new plasma, I am glad I did not waste any $ and time trying to fix it.
post #1337 of 2060 Old 02-16-2012, 12:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Yes, more often than not, replacement panels cost more than the set itself. Now you know why they did not want it back, and left it you to dispose of the TV.
post #1338 of 2060 Old 02-16-2012, 09:46 PM

Aloha, I have a Panasonic TH-42PZ80U, it does not power on, no power light, no blinking light. The only thing I noticed was one of the relay keeps clicking as soon as I plug in the power - that's the only thing it did. Any idea?
post #1339 of 2060 Old 02-17-2012, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesfan2 View Post

I have a Panasonic TH-42PZ80U, it does not power on, no power light, no blinking light. The only thing I noticed was one of the relay keeps clicking as soon as I plug in the power - that's the only thing it did. Any idea?

You can check page 33 of this document, for a flowchart of what to check for no power or dead unit.

Also, here is another tech guide and the service manual, which may be helpful.

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #1340 of 2060 Old 02-17-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesfan2 View Post

Aloha, I have a Panasonic TH-42PZ80U, it does not power on, no power light, no blinking light. The only thing I noticed was one of the relay keeps clicking as soon as I plug in the power - that's the only thing it did. Any idea?

Here's the tech guide. Do the test as if it's giving you one blink. I had the same problem with the same set. Turned out to be the A board.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/46124232/T...GPH11DU-Chasis
post #1341 of 2060 Old 02-17-2012, 08:41 PM

Mahalo for your help, I'll give it a shot and get back to you folks.
post #1342 of 2060 Old 02-20-2012, 11:55 AM

I have a Pana TC-P42s1
Powers on for a few second then off with 10 or 11 red blinking.
This just started happening about 2 weeks ago after 1 year use. I usually use the remote to power on then it goes off with the red light blinking at the bottom. I use the manual to turn off the light then manually get it t0 turn on. It does not always give me this problem. Sometimes it takes 3 or 4 tries. I bought it at Sears and not even sure about the warranty or if I registered. I know , dumb. I did post on HDTV technical and someone suggested i post here as well. Hauling it in for a fix could be a problem. An contacting Panasonic as we speak but they seem nowhere on a Sunday.
I have a power strip for the TV and when I turn off the TV then I turn off the power for energy costs. Could this have any effect?

It has been suggested that I plug directly into wall and or change the HDMI location to the side position
post #1343 of 2060 Old 02-20-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtvjho View Post

Just my luck, my TH50PZ80U croaked again, just 3 weeks after replacing the 1uF capacitor on MC301. Then the TV was 10 blinks, now it's 2 blinks. Time to go replace the same cap on MC201...
See also: Posts #896 (Jan 2011), #1111 (Aug 2011), #1292 (Jan 2012).

RE: Post 1329
Replaced the MC201 1uF cap, powered the TV and got 10 blinks! Arghh... Let TV sit overnight, connected AC cord, powered up like nothing was ever wrong! An earlier post did say something about Panny not putting bleeder resistors across their power caps. The TV probably was in a funky state for several hours until the voltages drained enough to stop fooling the SOS circuit. Now I'm running off two replaced caps, so far so good.
post #1344 of 2060 Old 02-21-2012, 02:55 PM

Anyone know of a good place to get replacement power supply boards? I see a lot of people on eBay selling rebuilds if you send your core, but I can't find any places with just the boards.
post #1345 of 2060 Old 02-21-2012, 06:39 PM

post #1346 of 2060 Old 02-21-2012, 11:20 PM

Yeah I had checked there, they are out of stock. I can't find anywhere in stock. I did find the part numbers of the MC201 and MC301 modules though and am working on getting just those to replace. If I can't, then I will probably go through someone on eBay that will fix it.
post #1347 of 2060 Old 02-22-2012, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skurvy_Pirate View Post

Yeah I had checked there, they are out of stock. I can't find anywhere in stock. I did find the part numbers of the MC201 and MC301 modules though and am working on getting just those to replace.

It seems that this is such a common problem, that all of the PZ80 series board stock is depleted.

If possible, could you list the part numbers of the MC201 and MC301 so that others may benefit?

post #1348 of 2060 Old 02-22-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwil View Post

It seems that this is such a common problem, that all of the PZ80 series board stock is depleted.

If possible, could you list the part numbers of the MC201 and MC301 so that others may benefit?

No problem! I was planning on it, but I wanted to wait until I receive the part to verify they are correct since they don't have any pictures. From what I have found in the service manual here the part #s are:

MC201 - MDPPNB331
MC301 - MDPPNB102

I cannot verify if these are correct until I get the module though. I only ordered MC301 for now because that is the one that I toasted and I know it is dead for sure.
post #1349 of 2060 Old 02-23-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaidoug View Post

I have a Pana TC-P42s1
Powers on for a few second then off with 10 or 11 red blinking.
This just started happening about 2 weeks ago after 1 year use. I usually use the remote to power on then it goes off with the red light blinking at the bottom. I use the manual to turn off the light then manually get it t0 turn on. It does not always give me this problem. Sometimes it takes 3 or 4 tries. I bought it at Sears and not even sure about the warranty or if I registered. I know , dumb. I did post on HDTV technical and someone suggested i post here as well. Hauling it in for a fix could be a problem. An contacting Panasonic as we speak but they seem nowhere on a Sunday.
I have a power strip for the TV and when I turn off the TV then I turn off the power for energy costs. Could this have any effect?

It has been suggested that I plug directly into wall and or change the HDMI location to the side position

If anyone interested I simply unplugged from strip and plugged directly into wall socket. 5 days and working. Why did this solve the problem? I am getting ready to set up a 2.i system with a denon 2112 and a sony sub and 2 nht superzeroes. Is there a limit that goes into a power strip?
post #1350 of 2060 Old 02-24-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skurvy_Pirate View Post

When trying to replace the capacitor on the MC301 module I ripped off one of the pads. Is there a way to get a replacement MC301 module or do I need to get a whole new power supply board?

I used a normal (thru hole) cap on my repair. With your pad gone, I'd solder directly to the leg of the IC that normally connects to that pad, will be either pin 11 or 13.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page