Master thread for Panasonic plasma not turning on - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #211 of 2179 Old 02-15-2009, 06:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bought mine in Gastonia, NC , from Circuit City fire sale. Fresh out of the box 10 flash blinking , manufacturer date October 2008. I have been digging thru the links , seems this is a common problem.
Once I recycled the power , and it came on long enough to set the date/time and start the channel search, then off in the weeds it went. Not a happy camper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 2179 Old 02-16-2009, 06:41 PM

TH-50PZ85U(a) Nov 2008 sticker on TV, purchased @ BB Jan 2009

Randomly cut off while watching SD content & wouldn't turn back on. Plugging directly into wall brought it back to life. However, I now have a 2" wide black vertical bar about 9" from the left side of the screen. Panny is sending out a tech on Thursday, but I am left to stew until then. Too bad we JUST went past the 30 day mark with BB because I have the box & would just like to get this thing out of here before I smash something!

(Thanks for the vent)

Anyone able to get rid of the pesky black bar without service coming to visit? I would enjoy this episode of House right now much more without it!
post #213 of 2179 Old 02-16-2009, 11:41 PM

Has a cure for HTPC/Computers been found yet?

I came to this forum through the mention on a review for a GE 22703 HDMI adapter, I figured out that having my HTPC plugged into the back of my tv caused my problem and that their doesn't seem to be any settings on the tv that will allow it to work.
My front HDMI port works correctly but it's awful looking, I even spent $70 buying 90 degree adapters to see if I can get that little door shut a little, but with no luck.

I tried searching/reading through the posts, but things of this nature are diluted with posts on other causes in this thread.
post #214 of 2179 Old 02-17-2009, 12:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshifter View Post

I came to this forum through the mention on a review for a GE 22703 HDMI adapter, I figured out that having my HTPC plugged into the back of my tv caused my problem and that their doesn't seem to be any settings on the tv that will allow it to work.
My front HDMI port works correctly but it's awful looking, I even spent $70 buying 90 degree adapters to see if I can get that little door shut a little, but with no luck.

I tried searching/reading through the posts, but things of this nature are diluted with posts on other causes in this thread.

If you read the first 6 pages you may find your answer. But what model Panasonic do you have? Some of the issue with connecting to rear HDMI port are related to video card. What type of video card do you have?
post #215 of 2179 Old 02-17-2009, 07:41 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshifter View Post

I came to this forum through the mention on a review for a GE 22703 HDMI adapter, I figured out that having my HTPC plugged into the back of my tv caused my problem and that their doesn't seem to be any settings on the tv that will allow it to work. My front HDMI port works correctly but it's awful looking, I even spent $70 buying 90 degree adapters to see if I can get that little door shut a little, but with no luck.

There are a number of posts in this thread that reveal a simple method to enable a non-compliant device (like your HTPC) to function using the rear HDMI ports if you just read the thread. There is no setting in the TV's menu to get around this issue as the TV wasn't engineered to work with HTPCs, which is why some video cards work and others do not.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #216 of 2179 Old 02-17-2009, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Should have spent that $70 on the adapter/isolator HDMI thing talked about within the thread or change to a video card known to work, also within the thread.

Techniwizard posts as an Independent Servicer
post #217 of 2179 Old 03-02-2009, 02:50 PM

well my 42pz77u that I bought in November of 2007 from sears started blinking 7 times after connecting one of those WD media players to the tv. not sure if that caused it or it was just a coincidence. I bought the extended warranty through sears luckily, supposed to get a call later today to setup a appt.
post #218 of 2179 Old 03-09-2009, 08:24 PM

Bought a 42PZ77U in Jan 2008 and now have the 7 blinking lights, just 2-months out of warranty Does anyone have a PDF version of the service or troubleshooting manual for this unit? I've read numerous posts on this thread re: the SC board and others, but would like to follow a formal diagnostic path. I contacted the "panasonic recommended" repair shops in my area and, based on phone converstations, had "less than satisfactory" confidence. Not quite as bad as the Big Island story earlier in the thread (very funny!), but I don't want to go down the road of having the symptom fixed without dealing with the actual problem.
post #219 of 2179 Old 03-09-2009, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by music69 View Post

Bought a 42PZ77U in Jan 2008 and now have the 7 blinking lights, just 2-months out of warranty Does anyone have a PDF version of the service or troubleshooting manual for this unit? I've read numerous posts on this thread re: the SC board and others, but would like to follow a formal diagnostic path. I contacted the "panasonic recommended" repair shops in my area and, based on phone converstations, had "less than satisfactory" confidence. Not quite as bad as the Big Island story earlier in the thread (very funny!), but I don't want to go down the road of having the symptom fixed without dealing with the actual problem.

http://www.pasctraining.panasonic.co...th_Gen_PDP.pdf
post #220 of 2179 Old 03-10-2009, 06:43 AM

Thanks JChin! Exactly what I needed. Do you (or anyone else here) have a preferred parts supplier? Also, can the TV be laid flat on it's face, if some cardboard or other supporting material lies between a flat under-surface and the panel, to support it's weight? Don't want to break anything. If it's best to work on it vertically, then I guess that would be good to know too.
post #221 of 2179 Old 03-10-2009, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks JChin! Exactly what I needed. Do you (or anyone else here) have a preferred parts supplier? Also, can the TV be laid flat on it's face, if some cardboard or other supporting material lies between a flat under-surface and the panel, to support it's weight? Don't want to break anything. If it's best to work on it vertically, then I guess that would be good to know too.

IMO laying the unit flat may damage the unit, even though on page 5 of Operating Instruction is for "transport only in upright position" under warning/caution: Transporting the unit with its display panel facing upright or
downward may cause damage to the internal circuitry.
post #222 of 2179 Old 03-10-2009, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

music69, I suggest at least give Panasonic a call before doing anything. I have heard where Panasonic has taken care of customer which have fell out of warranty a couple of months, call 1-877-958-4372.
post #223 of 2179 Old 03-10-2009, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

music69, I suggest at least give Panasonic a call before doing anything. I have heard where Panasonic has taken care of customer which have fell out of warranty a couple of months, call 1-877-958-4372.

Will do. I'll post back with how it goes.
post #224 of 2179 Old 03-12-2009, 04:15 PM

I contacted Panasonic. They were very polite about it and, after receiving a fax of my receipt, approved a warranty extension for the repair. I'm impressed. To recap, I am 2-months out of warranty and received the "seven blinking light" failure. They were aware of the issue and are pre-shipping parts and instructions to the local repair shop, so that the repair can be made in one visit.

Thank you for the assistance.
post #225 of 2179 Old 03-12-2009, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I contacted Panasonic. They were very polite about it and, after receiving a fax of my receipt, approved a warranty extension for the repair. I'm impressed. To recap, I am 2-months out of warranty and received the "seven blinking light" failure. They were aware of the issue and are pre-shipping parts and instructions to the local repair shop, so that the repair can be made in one visit.

Glad to hear that.
post #226 of 2179 Old 03-13-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:

Glad to hear things worked out for you, but I have a feeling I won't be so lucky.

Found this forum after I got 10 blinks on my 42PZ77U two days ago - it's a great resource and have been reading ever since. Unfortunately, I'm out of warranty by 4 months and since 10 blinks isn't so straight forward I may be on my own. So here's where a little advice may help from those with more experience.

Being an engineer, I have no problem tackling this myself with the available flowcharts, but two things bother me: 1) I can't find the exact 77U manual (pics don't match my TV's board locations), and 2) if I do manage to repair it and find the infamous burnt pixel, it's a lost cause anyway, and my involvement shoots down any chance of getting a new TV if it's permanently defective.

Now, those who got replacements for the burnt pixel issue never mentioned if they were still under warranty, and if IIRC, they were all 7-blink issues...so it may not matter anyway. So unless Panasonic is feeling generous, it's a $300-$500 gamble either way.

Sucks. Any suggestions?
post #227 of 2179 Old 03-13-2009, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dego Red View Post

Glad to hear things worked out for you, but I have a feeling I won't be so lucky.

Found this forum after I got 10 blinks on my 42PZ77U two days ago - it's a great resource and have been reading ever since. Unfortunately, I'm out of warranty by 4 months and since 10 blinks isn't so straight forward I may be on my own. So here's where a little advice may help from those with more experience.

Being an engineer, I have no problem tackling this myself with the available flowcharts, but two things bother me: 1) I can't find the exact 77U manual (pics don't match my TV's board locations), and 2) if I do manage to repair it and find the infamous burnt pixel, it's a lost cause anyway, and my involvement shoots down any chance of getting a new TV if it's permanently defective.

Now, those who got replacements for the burnt pixel issue never mentioned if they were still under warranty, and if IIRC, they were all 7-blink issues...so it may not matter anyway. So unless Panasonic is feeling generous, it's a $300-$500 gamble either way.

Sucks. Any suggestions?

Question, have you try disconnecting all a/v cables and see if the 10 blinking light reoccurs?
post #228 of 2179 Old 03-13-2009, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Another question Dego Red, did you purchased this with a credit card?
post #229 of 2179 Old 03-14-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:

Question, have you try disconnecting all a/v cables and see if the 10 blinking light reoccurs?

Yes, that was actually the first thing I read on the forum, and the first thing I tried - no joy. From what I read that primarily effects another model with 3 HDMI ports, but I gave it a shot anyway. The TV gave up when I was playing the Xbox over the standard component inputs; the only HDMI was from the DirecTV box.

Quote:

Another question Dego Red, did you purchased this with a credit card?

Yes, and I also read that some cards will add an additional warranty period (1yr) over the mfg warranty. I haven't yet checked into that feature, but I did put the purchase on my AmEx. Through all of this, the one thing I'm missing is my receipt. I'm thinking it got lost when I moved (purchased in Detroit, live in Portland now).

:EDIT:
Right after I posted, I went to the AmEx website. They DO have the extended warranty so now I just have to find out what hoops I have to jump through to get this covered.
post #230 of 2179 Old 03-14-2009, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Have you try the reset procedure after removing all a/v cables?
Turn the tv on and while pressing the "volume (-)" button on the main unit,press the "Menu" button on the remote control for more than 3 seconds. The self-check menu appears on screen, Then, disconnect the AC cord from the wall outlet.

Information on Amex
I would think Amex would have a record or information on your purchases.
post #231 of 2179 Old 03-14-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:

Have you try the reset procedure after removing all a/v cables?
Turn the tv on and while pressing the "volume (-)" button on the main unit,press the "Menu" button on the remote control for more than 3 seconds. The self-check menu appears on screen, Then, disconnect the AC cord from the wall outlet.

Information on Amex...
I would think Amex would have a record or information on your purchases.

First, an other update:
Since I use AmEx online, I pulled up the purchase date, store number, price, etc. and ran to the BB right down the street. They printed out a receipt for me, no questions asked. I just need to call the plasma concierge to get the warranty page faxed to me. I've already filed a claim with AmEx, pending me submitting the documents. They are just going to reimburse my CC account, so I'll just charge the repairs to that - I'll never see a dime out of pocket.

As for that reset procedure, I didn't see that! Just for grins, I'll give it a shot and see what I come up with. At this point, it can't hurt.

Thanks JChin for the feedback/help!
post #232 of 2179 Old 03-16-2009, 10:51 AM

I need the free HDMI Active Equalizer Extender Repeater that Panasonic is handing out because of the 10 lights issue and my need to hook my PC up to my TV. However, it's a blessing in disguise because the PC is around 40 feet from the TV, so this extender will be nice to have anyway to reduce quality loss. However, since I am using for its actual intended purpose of using really long HDMI cables, will it have an impact on its purpose of preventing the 10 blinking lights issue?
post #233 of 2179 Old 03-16-2009, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dego Red View Post

First, an other update:
Since I use AmEx online, I pulled up the purchase date, store number, price, etc. and ran to the BB right down the street. They printed out a receipt for me, no questions asked. I just need to call the plasma concierge to get the warranty page faxed to me. I've already filed a claim with AmEx, pending me submitting the documents. They are just going to reimburse my CC account, so I'll just charge the repairs to that - I'll never see a dime out of pocket.

As for that reset procedure, I didn't see that! Just for grins, I'll give it a shot and see what I come up with. At this point, it can't hurt.

Thanks JChin for the feedback/help!

You're welcome and good luck.
post #234 of 2179 Old 03-22-2009, 06:31 PM

Hello,

I am trying to find a Panasonic Power Supply Part no. TNPA2516 and can't seem to locate it anywhere. I plan to call Panasonic tomorrow but I am sure they will want a ridiculous price for a new one.

The Plasma was a high model TH-50PHW5UZ manufactured in Sept. 2002 (10K) at that time.

Does anyone know where I could find this part?

Also, is there a good TV technician who could repair the part?

Thanks for any feedback,

David
post #235 of 2179 Old 03-22-2009, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazman3 View Post

Hello,

I am trying to find a Panasonic Power Supply Part no. TNPA2516 and can't seem to locate it anywhere. I plan to call Panasonic tomorrow but I am sure they will want a ridiculous price for a new one.

The Plasma was a high model TH-50PHW5UZ manufactured in Sept. 2002 (10K) at that time.

Does anyone know where I could find this part?

Also, is there a good TV technician who could repair the part?

Thanks for any feedback,

David

I'm not sure if this will help try tvrepairman.com, find local and ask.
post #236 of 2179 Old 03-22-2009, 08:36 PM

Thank you JChin. I will try that tomorrow.
post #237 of 2179 Old 03-22-2009, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

How do you know you need this part ?

Is there a blink code of the power LED ? Count them as it goes dark.

T Wiz

post #238 of 2179 Old 03-23-2009, 08:57 PM

I got the Plasma from one of my great friends who was looking to replace the unit anyway. He had a authorized TV repairman come out and check the unit and isolated the problem to the power supply board.

I found out after 1 hour on the phone that the part number has gone from TNPA2516 to TXNP110MHS. I looked up this part and they want way too much money $600+.

I am trying to find the board used or someone who could repair the board. I call one local repair place and they would not give up the Schematic. They said they could not rebuild the board themselves. Sounds like Panasonic just wants you to replace the darn TV.

Any advice is appreciated.
post #239 of 2179 Old 03-23-2009, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Maz, check your private messages.....

TW

post #240 of 2179 Old 03-26-2009, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Before I found this thread, I posted this issue on another thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...blinking+light

I now have the Seven Red Blinks problem on my Panasonic TH-42PZ700U, which I purchased exactly one year, three months, and 22 problem-free days before its failure. Of course, my problem-free year led me to eschew purchasing the extended warranty (a sucker's deal, right?). Now I've been caught!

Yet it appears that I may be saved one of two ways: (1) Panasonic's customer assistance is reviewing my case after I was instructed to fax them the receipt with the words "Seven Blinks" written thereon. (2) I have the credit card option to fall back on (they advertise doubling the warranty period).

Question: Does some source collect failure rates for these "Driver SOS 2 SU / SD / SS Boards" problems (the seven blinks code)?

That information could be used to negotiate with the manufacturer to have them take responsibility for a known problem. I'm also having continuing freezing problems with a Panasonic DVD recorder (DMR-EZ47V) that has already had to be shipped to them TWICE for warranty repair. It would be useful to know if others are having the same problem.

DawnSun
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic