Master thread for Panasonic plasma not turning on - Page 81 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!



Forum Jump: 
 10Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2401 of 2424 Old 05-24-2016, 01:24 PM
Member
 
TW2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Mancave, The land Down Under
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by taarobaap View Post
Good call. So today I called the service shop, and the guy says, "oh, its the scan board. I ordered it yesterday and it should be in tomorrow." He claims that the warranty company allowed him to fix the set as long as its $240 and below. If its anymore than that, they give a replacement. So some background...I bought this from Sam's club, obviously with the extended warranty.

Does anyone know how this warranty works? If it cant be fixed, do they let you choose from TVs they stock in the same price range, do they give you your money if you dont like any of their TVs, do they prorate the warranty, etc.?

Thanks in advance!
Can't comment noy being US but sounds like crap or suspicious. Did you read the fine print on what the extended wty covers? $240 is not going to get you far on any TV. So they're a 65" Plasma is worth $240? I don't think so.

This is your TV so personally unless it's being replaced with something equal to ro better, forget it.

You can get the sc,sd,su boards at shopjimmy all up for $110. May even find them cheaper elsewhere like Payless Components.

Worst case, get the TV back buy the boards plus get a spare set.

Once they're gone , they're gne and as we see on all the previous models you will have difficulty getting them as pansonic mostlikely won'nt have them spared anymore..

good luck!

https://www.shopjimmy.com/catalogsea...t/?q=tc-65ps64
TW2005 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2402 of 2424 Old 05-28-2016, 05:10 PM
Member
 
taarobaap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TW2005 View Post
Can't comment noy being US but sounds like crap or suspicious. Did you read the fine print on what the extended wty covers? $240 is not going to get you far on any TV. So they're a 65" Plasma is worth $240? I don't think so.

This is your TV so personally unless it's being replaced with something equal to ro better, forget it.

You can get the sc,sd,su boards at shopjimmy all up for $110. May even find them cheaper elsewhere like Payless Components.

Worst case, get the TV back buy the boards plus get a spare set.

Once they're gone , they're gne and as we see on all the previous models you will have difficulty getting them as pansonic mostlikely won'nt have them spared anymore..

good luck!

https://www.shopjimmy.com/catalogsea...t/?q=tc-65ps64
So here's the deal - dude came, took off the cover, replaced the scan board and still no luck. Dead. He plugged in the power and I started to hear and see some arching occurring here:



Closer look:

See the little burnt area?

So anyone what this board is called? and if it could be ordered/fixed? or if I should even try to fix it? The warranty company is giving me the original full price of the Panny including tax, believe it or not! So, at this point, I have a new TV ordered, and this TV is sitting in my living room either awaiting to be fixed or possibly parted of it cant be fixed.

Thoughts?
taarobaap is offline  
post #2403 of 2424 Old 05-28-2016, 06:57 PM
Member
 
TW2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Mancave, The land Down Under
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by taarobaap View Post
So here's the deal - dude came, took off the cover, replaced the scan board and still no luck. Dead. He plugged in the power and I started to hear and see some arching occurring here:



Closer look:

See the little burnt area?

So anyone what this board is called? and if it could be ordered/fixed? or if I should even try to fix it? The warranty company is giving me the original full price of the Panny including tax, believe it or not! So, at this point, I have a new TV ordered, and this TV is sitting in my living room either awaiting to be fixed or possibly parted of it cant be fixed.

Thoughts?
well, I did give you the 3 boards that could be an issue and you can get the whole set from shopjimmy cheaply.

I'd take the payout , see if you can keep or buy back the telly for scrap and try to fix it

On the board there are part numbers and labels. On one you will see SD prefixes, that's the SD board, the other is SU board.

Did this chap resistance check or check the SD/SU boards for shorts prior to fitting the SC? It's a must for this reason because the SC, SD , Su can all trigger 7 blinks.

That bad cap may not have shown in a test but that's all hindsight now.

What I can't tell you is how to check if the panel is shot, also a possibility. But If I had a 65" tv I'd give it a shot and at worst sell it for parts

Step one is you disconnect the sd/su from the sc, remove the all Vfg bolts or grounding bolts on the SD /S. failure to do this and they can get fried from reports of other peoples mistakes.( where you've circled in that shot is in fact one of those bolts.

On the SC board, there should be a small 2 pin connector SC50. short those pins. now turn the TV on. If it 7 blinks the SC is shot, if not it's good and replace the SD/SU boards. you could try and figure if both are bad but looking at how cheap you can get these at SJ I'd just get a set

Last edited by TW2005; 05-28-2016 at 07:01 PM.
TW2005 is offline  
post #2404 of 2424 Old 05-28-2016, 07:45 PM
Member
 
taarobaap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TW2005 View Post
well, I did give you the 3 boards that could be an issue and you can get the whole set from shopjimmy cheaply.

I'd take the payout , see if you can keep or buy back the telly for scrap and try to fix it

On the board there are part numbers and labels. On one you will see SD prefixes, that's the SD board, the other is SU board.

Did this chap resistance check or check the SD/SU boards for shorts prior to fitting the SC? It's a must for this reason because the SC, SD , Su can all trigger 7 blinks.

That bad cap may not have shown in a test but that's all hindsight now.

What I can't tell you is how to check if the panel is shot, also a possibility. But If I had a 65" tv I'd give it a shot and at worst sell it for parts

Step one is you disconnect the sd/su from the sc, remove the all Vfg bolts or grounding bolts on the SD /S. failure to do this and they can get fried from reports of other peoples mistakes.( where you've circled in that shot is in fact one of those bolts.

On the SC board, there should be a small 2 pin connector SC50. short those pins. now turn the TV on. If it 7 blinks the SC is shot, if not it's good and replace the SD/SU boards. you could try and figure if both are bad but looking at how cheap you can get these at SJ I'd just get a set
I will be able to keep the unit according to the technician...and I've ordered the board that shows the burn mark from ebay for $17 shipped, so I'm on the same page as you...I'll keep you posted. Thanks for all the help!!
taarobaap is offline  
post #2405 of 2424 Old 05-28-2016, 08:03 PM
Member
 
TW2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Mancave, The land Down Under
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by taarobaap View Post
I will be able to keep the unit according to the technician...and I've ordered the board that shows the burn mark from ebay for $17 shipped, so I'm on the same page as you...I'll keep you posted. Thanks for all the help!!
I would have gone for the pair and you need to know if the SC is still ok so in my previous it's messed up abit.

remove the Vfg bolts from Sd/Su boards, disconnect the 2 connectors at sd, single connector at Su, jumper SC50, turn on , check if errors, turn off. No errors SC is ok. Blinky blinky, SC is bad
TW2005 is offline  
post #2406 of 2424 Old 06-03-2016, 08:23 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello I have a Panasonic TC-P42S30. I was watching tv 20 minutes ago and I thought I heard either a popping sound or the sound the tv makes when it turns on. Instantly the screen went black, there is also no sound, and no blinking lights. Its a November 2011 model. I could not turn the power off th tv through the remote or in the side of the TV. I had to unplug the tv to get the power off. When I plugged it back in I could use the remote to turn power on, but still black screen. Again it would not turn off, had to unplug it again. Have not had 1 issue with this tv in the almost 5 years I've had it, and I'm very upset that I may have lost my irreplaceble beloved plasma. Please advise on what I can do Thx
BeachPanasonicp42S30 is offline  
post #2407 of 2424 Old 06-03-2016, 02:06 PM
Member
 
TW2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Mancave, The land Down Under
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachPanasonicp42S30 View Post
Hello I have a Panasonic TC-P42S30. I was watching tv 20 minutes ago and I thought I heard either a popping sound or the sound the tv makes when it turns on. Instantly the screen went black, there is also no sound, and no blinking lights. Its a November 2011 model. I could not turn the power off th tv through the remote or in the side of the TV. I had to unplug the tv to get the power off. When I plugged it back in I could use the remote to turn power on, but still black screen. Again it would not turn off, had to unplug it again. Have not had 1 issue with this tv in the almost 5 years I've had it, and I'm very upset that I may have lost my irreplaceble beloved plasma. Please advise on what I can do Thx
It's sounding like the SN board has failed and shorted the power from the P board. Shorted Vsus can cause a locked out condition which is what you are describing.

There a few ways about this and will depend on your skills and equipment.

Option:
1. If you have a multimeter and can measure resistance, then measure across the connector SN2 on the SN board. If there is very low ohms(even if in hndreds of ohms) or 0 ohms there then the SN board is shorted.

2. Turn the TV off, disconnect the cable at SN2, turn on. If the TV attempts to turn on then shuts down with an error blink code then that would suggest bad SN as you are now getting a change in symptoms. Since a shorted SN2 is known to cause the original symptom and now it is blinking codes again that would strongly suggest SN2 was shorted.

3. pay someone who knows what they're doing to diagnose the fault.

4. Take a gamble and remove the SN board, send it to PTS Electronics Inc. http://www.ptselectronicsinc.com/TXNSN1PKUU/

This is the SN board, and the large white connector is SN2. There are 2 versions AB, AD and both should work.



If PTS find nothing wrong with the board they'll let you know and send it back. I'd expect a small service fee if that was the case.

The odds are stacked in the case of blown SN board and you could get out of this for $75 plus shipping which is dirt cheap for something irreplaceable.

The hardest part will be be reconnecting the panel ribbons as they can be fiddly. They need to be inserted perfectly straight and seated all the way in or you will get lines. Not impossible to get right , a bit of dexterity and patience is all that is needed. Do not attempt to realign or adjust those riboons with the TV running as that will short out the SN board and blow it up.

This mission can be completed with only



and one of these would be handy



also, highly recommend the old screws are replaced with the conventional spring washer type. What they put in these work loose and cause arcing and bad earths.


Last edited by TW2005; 06-03-2016 at 02:18 PM.
TW2005 is offline  
post #2408 of 2424 Old 06-06-2016, 02:58 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thank you so much for your helpful reply TW2005, I'm a little bit nervous about attempting to repair this tv myself, but I dont want to pay hundreds and still risk some inexperienced tv repair place messing it up, so I'm going to read more on this board and watch some videos until I feel comfortable with doing it myself. The unbeliveable thing is that on the same day a few hours later my other Panasonic Plasma TV went out! Its a TC-P42X5 and it has has some issues in the past with power surges, when power surge happens or the power goes out it takes 2-3 days of sitting before it will come on again, but this time something different happened. My main concern is my better model, but I will try to post the other TV for some reply's. Back to my first TV that I posted, I dont have a multimeter, is that something that I should go buy that will save me time and money, by telling me exactly the problem area or components? Is it possible that a bad HDMI cable shorted or caused this to happen? because when I plugged in a different TV using that cable, it also went black, but when I switched out for a new cable it worked. I really want to avoid pulling apart too much of the TV so I dont have trouble getting it back together correctly without causing lines or other issues that didnt exist before. Once I pull the back off the TV where should I start, I dont mind buying the multimeter if it will help me pinpoint the problem. Sry for such a long post.
BeachPanasonicp42S30 is offline  
post #2409 of 2424 Old 06-06-2016, 05:08 PM
Member
 
TW2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Mancave, The land Down Under
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 18
The 42x5 sounds like another common issue with a fairchild standby controller ic. Location u203 8pin device. Do a google on it.
TW2005 is offline  
post #2410 of 2424 Old 06-08-2016, 05:52 AM
Member
 
taarobaap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Talking SU board fixes my Panny TC-65PS64 !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taarobaap View Post
I will be able to keep the unit according to the technician...and I've ordered the board that shows the burn mark from ebay for $17 shipped, so I'm on the same page as you...I'll keep you posted. Thanks for all the help!!
So, got the $17 part from Ebay on Saturday, took out the old SU board and ribbons, installed the new board, and turned her on and got the first pic:

Thought the damn thing was pretty much a gonner, but then I wondered if the ribbons had something to do with it since the lines were just on the top half where the new board was. I took out all of the ribbons and reinserted them with tweezers and made sure they were inserted correctly, buttoned them up and turned her back on. (second pic!)

And now she's back on the wall like nothing ever happened (3rd pic)! (oh and I got the purchase price of the TV back from the warranty company - Shhhhh - ).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4465.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	1485665   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4462.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	1485673   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4463.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	1485689  
taarobaap is offline  
post #2411 of 2424 Old 06-08-2016, 05:53 AM
Member
 
taarobaap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachPanasonicp42S30 View Post
Thank you so much for your helpful reply TW2005, I'm a little bit nervous about attempting to repair this tv myself, but I dont want to pay hundreds and still risk some inexperienced tv repair place messing it up, so I'm going to read more on this board and watch some videos until I feel comfortable with doing it myself. The unbeliveable thing is that on the same day a few hours later my other Panasonic Plasma TV went out! Its a TC-P42X5 and it has has some issues in the past with power surges, when power surge happens or the power goes out it takes 2-3 days of sitting before it will come on again, but this time something different happened. My main concern is my better model, but I will try to post the other TV for some reply's. Back to my first TV that I posted, I dont have a multimeter, is that something that I should go buy that will save me time and money, by telling me exactly the problem area or components? Is it possible that a bad HDMI cable shorted or caused this to happen? because when I plugged in a different TV using that cable, it also went black, but when I switched out for a new cable it worked. I really want to avoid pulling apart too much of the TV so I dont have trouble getting it back together correctly without causing lines or other issues that didnt exist before. Once I pull the back off the TV where should I start, I dont mind buying the multimeter if it will help me pinpoint the problem. Sry for such a long post.
I was pretty nervous too, but its really not that bad. Additionally, the guys on this forum are really helpful, so if you ruin into problems, ask a question and get some good advise! Good luck!
taarobaap is offline  
post #2412 of 2424 Old 06-08-2016, 06:03 AM
Member
 
TW2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Mancave, The land Down Under
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by taarobaap View Post
So, got the $17 part from Ebay on Saturday, took out the old SU board and ribbons, installed the new board, and turned her on and got the first pic:

Thought the damn thing was pretty much a gonner, but then I wondered if the ribbons had something to do with it since the lines were just on the top half where the new board was. I took out all of the ribbons and reinserted them with tweezers and made sure they were inserted correctly, buttoned them up and turned her back on. (second pic!)

And now she's back on the wall like nothing ever happened (3rd pic)! (oh and I got the purchase price of the TV back from the warranty company - Shhhhh - ).
Nice. I'd still recommend investing a few dollars and stock whatever spare boards you can find. At those prices it's a no brainer. Check out the prices for boards and availability for some of the 2011 models or earlier and you'll understand.

Next time it goes there maybe nothing around.

Not a lot to be said about the original techs though not fixing this.
TW2005 is offline  
post #2413 of 2424 Old 06-12-2016, 08:01 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Panasonic plasma 65" mc165fj1541 will not turn on. 3 blinking lights. Replaced mpf6916a. No change. A board next? Someone please help.
Culebra is offline  
post #2414 of 2424 Old 06-19-2016, 04:00 PM
Newbie
 
kmenc1111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Noob question: I'm trying to troubleshoot a dead Panasonic TH-58PZ800U plasma that's been out of commission for a couple of years with a 5 blink error (older posts about it it here from 2014). I've replaced nearly every board and it still won't work. I'm using an Innova 3300 digital multimeter. The first step in the service manual says to test Pin 1 of connector P12 on the power board and see if there is a short to ground. OK, I understand setting the multimeter and where to place the leads, but I have no idea what a short to ground is supposed to look like. Will it show no resistance? Erratic resistance? What reading should I be getting if there is no short to ground? I'm sorry about such a basic question.

Last edited by kmenc1111; 06-19-2016 at 04:19 PM.
kmenc1111 is offline  
post #2415 of 2424 Old 06-21-2016, 04:33 PM
Member
 
tw33k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

So my TH-58pz800u refused to turn on last week. When I powered it up, the LED came on solid, but no picture displayed. After some time it started blinking 13 times, indicating communication error with IC8001 (A board). Tonight we took it down off the wall and I cleaned all the dust from the back (around fans and other exhaust ports) and tried plugging it back in and turning it on. Now the LED comes on solid, and then after a couple of minutes the unit just shuts off. Non of the fans turn during this (not sure if they only run after a certain temp is reached or not), so I was wondering if anyone had any additional trouble shooting steps I should try? I found the service manual online, but it doesn't list this scenario, just the multiple blink ones.

Any help would be appreciated.
tw33k is offline  
post #2416 of 2424 Old 06-21-2016, 05:06 PM
Newbie
 
kmenc1111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw33k View Post
Hi,

So my TH-58pz800u refused to turn on last week. When I powered it up, the LED came on solid, but no picture displayed. After some time it started blinking 13 times, indicating communication error with IC8001 (A board). Tonight we took it down off the wall and I cleaned all the dust from the back (around fans and other exhaust ports) and tried plugging it back in and turning it on. Now the LED comes on solid, and then after a couple of minutes the unit just shuts off. Non of the fans turn during this (not sure if they only run after a certain temp is reached or not), so I was wondering if anyone had any additional trouble shooting steps I should try? I found the service manual online, but it doesn't list this scenario, just the multiple blink ones.

Any help would be appreciated.
I have the same model. To my knowledge, the fans should be running at all times, although I could be wrong. Mine always did that I can recall. The solid LED should indicate normal operation, but with no picture and the eventual 13 blinks it sounds like it's not even making it through the normal startup.

This Technical Guide might help. There's a flowchart for troubleshooting a 13 blink error. It doesn't list the 58" model but Panasonic support told me it applies to that model as well.
http://elektrotanya.com/panasonic_th.../download.html
kmenc1111 is offline  
post #2417 of 2424 Old 06-21-2016, 05:29 PM
Member
 
tw33k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmenc1111 View Post
I have the same model. To my knowledge, the fans should be running at all times, although I could be wrong. Mine always did that I can recall. The solid LED should indicate normal operation, but with no picture and the eventual 13 blinks it sounds like it's not even making it through the normal startup.

This Technical Guide might help. There's a flowchart for troubleshooting a 13 blink error. It doesn't list the 58" model but Panasonic support told me it applies to that model as well.
http://elektrotanya.com/panasonic_th.../download.html
Thanks, I saw that technical guide. And in the service manual (specifically for my model) it lists the blink codes as well. My issue is it is not blinking now, but was earlier. BTW, I can send you the SM if you would like since you have the same model as me.
tw33k is offline  
post #2418 of 2424 Old 06-22-2016, 12:46 PM
Newbie
 
kmenc1111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw33k View Post
Thanks, I saw that technical guide. And in the service manual (specifically for my model) it lists the blink codes as well. My issue is it is not blinking now, but was earlier. BTW, I can send you the SM if you would like since you have the same model as me.
Already have it, but thanks.
kmenc1111 is offline  
post #2419 of 2424 Old 06-22-2016, 03:24 PM
Member
 
marcusj50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I really could use some help on this, any thoughts or ideas would be much appreciated.

I purchased my Panasonic TC-P55VT50 in March of 2013 and it's been working trouble free since for the most part. But, today things went bad and I'm not sure what to try.

It will not turn on and it makes a rhythmic clicking noise. The clicking noise is almost like a heart beat - two quick clicks and a pause. I'm sure that the click itself is the on/off click which normally only clicks once for on and once for off. The only way to make this stop is to unplug it. The tv does not respond to the remote at all. I've tried pushing the manual on/off button on the side/back of the tv.

We did have some storms come through in the middle of the night so my fear is a power surge has fried it. However, it is plugged into a surge protector as are the other electronic components which are all fine: A/V receiver, DVD player and record player. But, there were no tripped breakers in the house and all other electronics seem to be working fine.

Does anyone have a thought on how to diagnose or troubleshoot the problem? Is there a Panasonic customer support service I should contact that might help? Or should I just start shopping for a new TV. I really hope I can get this one working, the picture is great.

Any thoughts? At this point I'm ready to call a repairman, but finding someone who is reputable is difficult.
marcusj50 is offline  
post #2420 of 2424 Old 06-26-2016, 07:40 AM
Member
 
tw33k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmenc1111 View Post
Noob question: I'm trying to troubleshoot a dead Panasonic TH-58PZ800U plasma that's been out of commission for a couple of years with a 5 blink error (older posts about it it here from 2014). I've replaced nearly every board and it still won't work. I'm using an Innova 3300 digital multimeter. The first step in the service manual says to test Pin 1 of connector P12 on the power board and see if there is a short to ground. OK, I understand setting the multimeter and where to place the leads, but I have no idea what a short to ground is supposed to look like. Will it show no resistance? Erratic resistance? What reading should I be getting if there is no short to ground? I'm sorry about such a basic question.
Set your meter for resistance, pull the connector off the header and place one lead on pin 1 (should be the far left pin). Place the other lead on a ground connection (I used the mounting screw just to the left of the pin). If there is a short it will read 0. I just checked mine and it reads about 3.4K ohms. Not sure what it is supposed to be, but as long as it is much greater than 0 I think you can rule out that as being shorted.
tw33k is offline  
post #2421 of 2424 Old 06-30-2016, 06:09 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Panasonic TH-50PHD5

Kindly direct me to a thread about the Panasonic TH-50PHD5 with the 6-blink error code. Built in 2003, 50' display. I was told to replace the power supply board. I am getting the same error with a different board (purchased online.) Could it be another board? We are a small non-profit orchestra. Thanks.
ap17 is offline  
post #2422 of 2424 Old 07-13-2016, 07:01 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by utexas05alum View Post
The saga continues with my TC-P65V10...

Since my last post I sent my A board to ModusLink PTS. They tested it and found no issues. I followed up with them and described my problem in more detail. They had me send in the PSU, SC, SU, SD, and SS boards. They said they ran them all together (with the A Board) for over a week and had no issues. Luckily, they didn't charge me anything and paid for the shipping back to me. I hooked everything back up, making sure the cables and screws were all secure.

The set turned on and ran fine for 10 days and then I got the same 1 blink issue again when turning it on. I unplugged the power cable, let it sit for 12 hours, and then it turned on successfully. Only this time it shut off after I was watching TV for about 90 minutes and the 4 blink code appeared.

That's the current situation, the TV will turn on after being unplugged for a long period, but will then shut off after about 90 minutes with the 4 blink code. The 1 blink code still occurs sometimes as well.

I really would like to fix this one and avoid spending more money on TVs, especially when all HDTVs I've owned have lasted 5 years or less.

Any ideas?
Dear Forum Members:

I am having the Exact same issues as 'utexas05alum' on the same Panasonic Model: TC-P65V10.

A couple of months back the TV just wouldn't come ON; so I unplugged it for about 2-mins to try and do a reset - NOTHING. I unplugged it again and left it; the next day I did a little research and it was conveyed that a "Blink Code" could head me in the correct direction; so I plug it back in to see if I could see the "blink code"- when I plug it in, I DID NOT see a blink code, but I DID hear a loud click and the TV turned on.

I watched the TV that day(all was well) > turned if off the night > turned it back on the next morning...NOTHING > unplugged it again (AM) > plugged back in the night (PM), hear the click and the TV worked great all night > nest morning...NOTHING, unplugged the TV > that night plugged it in, heard the "click" everything great > unplugged the TV overnight, everything OK the nest morning (LEAVE the TV plugged in overnight...NOTHING the next morning). I repeated this process for about two weeks, until the TV would not come on at all (even after letting it set for days).

NOTE: never have received ANY blink codes; ever!

I have subsequently:

> I have sent the A board in for testing: tech said they tested it for two days, and it tested GOOD. I reinstall and the TV did not fire-up.
> I then replaced the Sub Power Supply Board (ETX2MM774MG); TV worked for 3 days, then shut down.
> I then replaced the Main Power Supply Board (ETX2MM774MA-1) TV worked for 5 days, then shut down. this happened TODAY

Any Suggestions? This is a great TV and the picture is phenomenal when it is working.

Thank you.
mtf13 is offline  
post #2423 of 2424 Old 07-15-2016, 10:10 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Talking Panasonic TC-55GT30 7 blinking lights fixed

Posting as information. Sequence of events as follows:

1. Set does not turn on, 7 blinking lights. No prior issues.

2. Researched, found this forum most helpful.

3. Send SS, SU, SC and SD boards to PTS Electronics.

4. Installed the repaired, refurbished and bench tested boards.

5. Got 7 blinking lights.

6. Got lots of advice from PTS, they asked for boards back.

7. PTS said boards all good, sent back to me. More advice about making sure cables are correctly installed.

8. Installed boards and was reasonably careful with cables (experienced with electronic repairs)

9. Got 8 blinking lights.

10. Isolated SS board. Set stayed on.

11. Removed and replaced all screws mounting SS board.

12. Works now.
ncr6bltprgr is offline  
post #2424 of 2424 Old Today, 05:50 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
PANASONIC 50PV70LB 9 years old.

The red light blinks quickly, I get the clicking sound, but the screen won't turn on... and the red light gets back (steadily). No blinking codes. Turning it off (on the power button, or removing the AC power cable) and waiting for 10 minutes usually work.

I don't know if it has something to do with this but the TV has other symptoms:

1. My TV has no green led anymore. It is in fact orange (!). When the TV is turning on it blinks red/orange. When it is on it stays orange (instead of green that it had when I bought it). It has been like this for one or two years, but the TV always worked fine.

2. Two months ago a black vertical stripe appeared on the right side of the screen. I then identified that the buffer board C1 was defective. A week ago I found and ordered a used C1 board, but it didn't arrive yet. We continued using the TV, since the kids don't care about the stripe and it doesn't affect 4x3 images.
ldmelo is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off