Originally Posted by SubEffect
I've read through a large chunk of posts in this thread but I don't think the symptoms I have match the majority of issues.. let's see if anyone has an idea of where I should go.
Model: TC-42GT25, purchased in 2010
- No display nor sound from any input source. The panel seems to receive power as there is a dull black/gray hue to the screen (noticeably different from when the panel is off completely)
- Red LED is solid
- No changes after panel is left on for a long time (stays on, no LED changes, etc)
- Remote commands not displayed (I believe they are being received, meaning if I can get the panel to come on completely, i've noticed the input changed based on what i was pressing on the remote)
- Issue is intermittent - if I play with the remote enough, I can get a normal display and use the panel indefinitely, unless I turn it off
- Green LEDs on the side boards (SC boards?) are solid
- No noticeable damage to any circuit boards (burn marks, etc..)
Given that this is intermittent, I don't want to replace any hardware in hopes it will resolve the issue. I am not opposed to doing that in general, but I also don't mind taking it to a service center. I do have a cheap multimeter, but I am no electronics guru and don't really know how to use it properly. It was a gift.
Anyhow - I'm really looking to see if this is something I can resolve on my own or if it should be addressed by a certified technician. My gut says this needs some in-depth troubleshooting, but perhaps someone else has had this issue and can let me know what they had to do.
I'm having very similar issues as subeffect here.
I've been looking through precious threads and can't seem to find anyone with the same issue(except 1 other guy that commented the the blinking light thread and no one responded). When I power the TV on, the red light comes on and stays lit(no blinking) and the backlight also comes on. But that's it. Nothing can be seen or heard, no menu, no input selected, nada, just the backlight. When I open the back of the TV up, I have 1 green LED on the SS board, 1 green LED on the SC board, and the 'digital audio out' on the A board has a red light in it, but no other lights. Fans come on, I hear the relays clicking. When I disconnect the A5, A6, and A7 connectors on the A board, I get a solid white screen. I'm assuming this is either the A board or the main power board, but unsure which route to try first. I picked the TV up from a woman whose house I painted and she just wanted it gone. Any help in direction would be appreciated.
Also, it looks like what appears to be a bulb on the sub power board is present but not lit up like the leds and is defintely larger.. is this supposed to light up? I can attach pictures if anyone needs to see them.