Master thread for Panasonic plasma not turning on - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2074 Old 02-28-2008, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Everyday we see a new thread about Panasonic Plasma's not turning on. If your set fails to turn on and you have a blinking light, post here. Hopefully this will keep all of the info in one place and everybody can stop asking the same question.

If it blinks 7 times, your power supply is shot
If it blinks 10 times, a video board went bad.

Please also post the size of your set, city it was purchased in, and build on date (back of your set).

Check out this link for more info:
http://www.bruzziforum.com/vbf/showthread.php?t=79
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2074 Old 02-28-2008, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

it would be nice, wouldn't it? Then we could just get back to flaming each other over what is better, samsung or panansonic
post #3 of 2074 Old 02-28-2008, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Still waiting for the refund from mine dying on jan 20th
post #4 of 2074 Old 02-28-2008, 10:55 AM

Liked: 12
Hallelujah!
post #5 of 2074 Old 02-28-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthemidget View Post

If it blinks 7 times, your power supply is shot
If it blinks 10 times, a video board went bad.

Probably worth putting a link to the master chart in:
http://www.bruzziforum.com/vbf/showthread.php?t=79
post #6 of 2074 Old 02-28-2008, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Shouldn't you IM one of the moderators to make it a sticky?

I'd be curious to see how many people had or have problems with it, that way if mine ever does it I can refer back to the thread.

Also I was wondering if the 42" version uses the same power supply and video board as the larger ones?
post #7 of 2074 Old 02-28-2008, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It does seem like it is mostly 42" that are dying.

To be honest, this has made me paranoid about my 50" and my PS3 (disk drive failing). I hate forums for this reason, as the vocal minority make problems with their systems seem like the majority.
post #8 of 2074 Old 02-28-2008, 11:11 PM

Mine is the th42pz77u, picked up on 10/18/07 in Redding, CA, manufactured September 2007, led blinking 7 times.
I have looked at a lot of forums and consumer reviews and this is the only model that seems to have many cases of this problem. I have seen isolated cases in older models and one on a newer 58" model, but I don't think I saw any problems on a 50".
Google "Panasonic th42pz77u blinking light" and you'll see what I mean. I wouldn't be too nervous about your 50".
post #9 of 2074 Old 03-06-2008, 10:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mine just went this morning - 42" 77U, purchased late last year. 7 blinking red lights.

Sad panda
post #10 of 2074 Old 03-15-2008, 12:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Repair guy arrived on Weds. They had Panasonic send "one of each board" to make sure they could fix any issue.

When they opened the boxes of parts, it turns out Panny had sent the wrong parts. Still no TV =( Even sadder panda
post #11 of 2074 Old 03-16-2008, 05:45 AM

Hi everyone...

It looks like this 42" unit has a predictable end of life...
Thanks for posting the blinking light issues - all this helps..
So, does anyone have the part numbers of the two boards and what are the "two boards"? Power supply and video board??

After checking some other links as was suggested above (Doh) it might be a specific board. There are 5 boards in this model... The 7 blinking lights... (ack)
(snip)
You Guys need to contact a Professional, according to Panasonic Tech Support the problem resides on one of five boards. Its a scan voltage problem. Panasonic plasma concierge service guy switched board out saying it was the scan board
(end snip)

Best Regards;

Hmeister

post #12 of 2074 Old 03-18-2008, 04:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Visit #2 was a bust - they had to take it away with them. They left me with an older x768 plasma... Could be worse.
post #13 of 2074 Old 03-29-2008, 06:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

23 days to get mine back. It's working... Still not all that happy about it =(
post #14 of 2074 Old 03-29-2008, 04:54 PM

As mentioned in another thread, I had a 42PZ77U, purchased Dec 2007 from Sears Toronto, manufactured in Dec 2007.

Died three weeks ago with 7 blinking lights. Repairman came two weeks ago, replaced a few boards, then it became 10 blinking lights instead. I also had one dead pixel, and it was deemed defective.

Today I finally got my new PZ77U. Hope it doesn't have any problems.
post #15 of 2074 Old 03-31-2008, 01:24 PM

We purchased the 50 inch plasma 15 months ago. After 3 months it wouldn't turn on. I think we had 6 blinking lights. Panasonic sent a tech to replace parts.

It worked fine for a year after that. Now, it won't turn on again and we have 10 blinking lights but no Panasonic warranty. Luckily, we purchased the extended service agreement from the BBS we purchased from. Unluckily, their techs don't work Saturdays.

I'm not very happy with my product or Panasonic - or Circuit City - at the moment.
post #16 of 2074 Old 04-15-2008, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I too had the 10-blink problem with my Panasonic TH-42PX80U, but I found the cause and have a workaround. Here's what I found:

I ran into the problem 4 hours after installing the set. I called Plasma Concierge, & they dispatched a tech to replace the board. 3 days later, I had the problem again, so I took my set back to Sears for an exchange.

When I ran into the problem on my new set, I figured something outside the TV might be causing the problem. I have a Home Theater PC plugged in via DVI-HDMI cable. I discovered that if I unplugged the cable & held the power button in for about 10 seconds, I could reset the TV (this way I didn't lose all my configuration settings). Then, after turning on the TV, I could plug in the DVI-HDMI cable & everything was fine.

Eventually, I found that I could always reproduce the problem in the following sequence:
1. turn off TV
2. turn on HTPC
3. turn on TV

If I turn on the TV first, then the PC, no problem. If I turn on the TV with the cable unplugged, then plugged it in, again no problem. After researching ground loop & other possible causes, I could not find any combination of cabling that would prevent the problem, until I discovered I could plug the PC into the FRONT HDMI port of the TV & everything works fine.

So I've been working with Panasonic to figure out why the rear HDMI ports are susceptible to this problem, but the front port is not. Since this solved my 10-blink problem (so far!), I'm keeping the TV. Don't yet have a resolution from Panasonic...

Hope this helps those who may have a similar situation. I'll post an update once I hear back from Panasonic about this.
Klisin Artur likes this.
post #17 of 2074 Old 04-15-2008, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
So basically, you are saying if you use the font HDMI port and all is fine? Can anyone else confirm?
post #18 of 2074 Old 04-16-2008, 08:50 AM

Yes, I haven't had the power-on failure since I moved the cable to the front port. I've had a couple weeks of active usage now...
post #19 of 2074 Old 04-17-2008, 07:15 AM

Need help with Panasonic TH-37PD25. OK, I have a 37" plasma about 2 1/2 years old. The other morning when I attempted to power on all I received was a red power light blinking at me. I counted 12 flashes. Anyway, I phoned a few places (including Panasonic) and was put on a track for a repair estimate of $600 to $800. I love the TV but with todays prices I am not so sure the repair makes good sense. I am willing to give a repair a try but will need guidance. I have read a few posts that touch on this condition but not enough to dive in. I did read a model that could be used for parts is the TH-42PD25. I also believe from my limited research I am looking at a Power Board issue. Can anyone help me get the TV back?? Thanks to all.
post #20 of 2074 Old 04-17-2008, 09:22 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neubium View Post

Need help with Panasonic TH-37PD25. OK, I have a 37" plasma about 2 1/2 years old. The other morning when I attempted to power on all I received was a red power light blinking at me. I counted 12 flashes. Anyway, I phoned a few places (including Panasonic) and was put on a track for a repair estimate of $600 to $800. I love the TV but with todays prices I am not so sure the repair makes good sense. I am willing to give a repair a try but will need guidance. I have read a few posts that touch on this condition but not enough to dive in. I did read a model that could be used for parts is the TH-42PD25. I also believe from my limited research I am looking at a Power Board issue. Can anyone help me get the TV back?? Thanks to all.

Have you looked at this thread?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...302017&page=27

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #21 of 2074 Old 04-17-2008, 11:38 AM

I bought a 42pz77u on the weekend in Collingwood, Ontario, Canada after much research on AVSForum. My worst fears of "blinking LEDs" came true on Saturday when I tried to turn it on. 6 blinks. It was built in December 2007. I was especially frustrated when it happened straight out of the box and not after hours of viewing as most forum users report.

Thankfully, Panasonic arranged to fix it quickly (by Wednesday afternoon) and by Wednesday evening I was watching this great display.

Finally, some positive news about Panasonic service!

The chain of events, though, is interesting...

On Saturday night, I emailed Viera Concierge regarding my frustration. On Monday, I phoned. By Tuesday, my ph******* had led to a service technician (from Northern Electronics in Barrie) call and the new part was shipped and installed on Wednesday. Pretty impressive service! The service guy said that Panasonic would pay them to cancel other service calls so they could repair Viera products within 48 hours.

After the service call, I got a reply to my Saturday email. It said I needed to phone with details of the problem and that I was out of line for suggesting that this was a common problem (they didn't even know at that point what the problem was, even though I had said 6 blinks!) and for my information, there had never been a recall of a Panasonic product. It made me feel like I was to blame. All this after it had actually been fixed! I'm not sure why they felt the need to treat a customer like this?

In short, my phone experience was positive and yielded prompt results. At least it did in Canada.
post #22 of 2074 Old 04-25-2008, 01:51 PM

Uh-oh, I'm getting nervous now!

On Black Friday '07, I, and two other friends on my recommendation (ugh..), purchased a Panny 42" px75u from P.C. Richards. Last week, one friend told me his tv just blacked out, and wouldn't come back on. He didn't mention anything about blinking led's, though. He said he called Panny and a rep was at his house fixing the set within a couple of days. He said the cs rep, and the tech sent to his house were not surprised at all about his problem, and seemed like it was something they were very familiar w/. The repair tech told him it had to do w/ a small currrent surge that could get past the surge protector and hit the tv, frying the main board, that sound right? Now, he's all worried that this could happen again, but not be covered under warranty.

Then yesterday, my OTHER friend called me all pissed off, 'cause his tv just shut off on him. I told him 'bout my other friend's experience, and he's trying to get his fixed now.

Now I'M getting nervous. I'm afraid to even go turn my set on!!

What assurances is Panny giving their customers? If a new part is placed into the tv, is that part now covered under a new warranty if it becomes defect again in the future??

We may have gotten these tv's for a steal ($721 out the door!! ) but that doesn't mean they're disposible!! Mine has a 5/07 birthdate, and theirs have an 11/07 birthdate. This SHOULD NOT be happening to brand new tv's!!
post #23 of 2074 Old 04-26-2008, 06:31 AM

I got the 7 blinks about a week ago and setup a service appointment for friday and the guy never showed up. We called him and we got "Call panasonic again because i don't have the parts, bye"

I call panasonic and find out that these parts for my TH-42PZ700U are on backorder for another 2 weeks then we can setup a service appointment.

What i am wondering is how many people have had theirs fixed and something else went wrong with it? or has anyone forced them to get them a new replacement?

Chaos is how the world keeps moving along, order just inhibits the innovation it creates.
post #24 of 2074 Old 04-26-2008, 07:20 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofoff View Post

I got the 7 blinks about a week ago and setup a service appointment for friday and the guy never showed up. We called him and we got "Call panasonic again because i don't have the parts, bye"

I call panasonic and find out that these parts for my TH-42PZ700U are on backorder for another 2 weeks then we can setup a service appointment.

What i am wondering is how many people have had theirs fixed and something else went wrong with it? or has anyone forced them to get them a new replacement?

Most people seem to get their fixed within the week, some of em even got it fixed in 2-3 days, but obviously if the parts are backordred by Panasonic then there's not really anything their authorized repair centers can do for you. I would contact Panasonic and tell them how rude the guy at the repair shop was and how he never called you back, and how you're very unhappy about the part being on backorder with Panasonic and the long period of time you'll be without your TV. Panasonic is supposed to give you a loaner TV as part of their Concierge program so you might want to insist on that if you don't have any other TVs to watch while your PZ is broken. You should also insist that Panasonic extend your factory warranty for as much time as it's inoperable and put it in writing.

Some people have had their TVs replaced by Panasonic after like a month of not being able to get it repaired, or if it was deemed unrepairable after a couple of attempts. But in your case you'll probably just have to wait until the parts become available whereupon they should be able to fix it easily.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #25 of 2074 Old 04-26-2008, 11:23 AM

Here's my story with the 42PZ700U that happened mid-April.

Fry's had 2 for an amazing price that I just couldn't pass up on. One was an open box item and the other was a "repaired" one. Obviously I just asked for the open box one. I brought it home Friday and installed it and it worked for the first time I tried to turn it on. The second time I tried I got the dreaded blinking light (don't remember how many).

When I was looking through documentation to find Panasonic's warranty number, I came across a return slip from Outpost.com. It turns out that someone had bought this TV back in October...had the same blinking light issue two weeks later, had it serviced, had the blinking light issue again 2 days later and then just returned it.

So Fry's was selling the TV as a refurb unit without telling people. Anyway, the TV started up waiting for about 45 minutes. The TV was fine on Saturday but then acted up again on Sunday afternoon and would start at all after that.

So I took the TV back on Monday and exchanged it for the other "repaired" TV. I brought it home and hooked it up immediately. Blinking lights on the first try!!!

I returned the unit and am now planning on buying a 1150HD unit instead.
post #26 of 2074 Old 04-26-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neubium View Post

It sounds like the set needs to be reset. Usually this needs to be done only when a new board is inserted but may resolve the issue. Try calling Pana to get directions if your unsure on how to reset the unit.

Hope this helps...

Julesr-
Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing.
post #27 of 2074 Old 04-28-2008, 02:26 PM

My TH-50PZ77U got 10 blinks problem. I did a quick search, most of 42" got 7 blinks, and most of 50" got 10 blinks. The 50" has similar problem as 42". You can see more complains on 42", this is because 42" sold more than 50". And the 50PZ700U had more issues then 50PZ77U, this is because 77U just newer.
post #28 of 2074 Old 04-28-2008, 03:18 PM

I have a th-42px80u, when I play my PS3 (hdmi cable) for an hour or so, If I shut the tv off and come back to watch TV it won't come on. The guys changed the hdmi board. TV was working good until my stepson played the ps3 again, shut the tv off came back about 4hrs later, the tv wouldn't come on, red lite blinkes 10 times. The tv repair man is coming to get it as soon as panny techs talk with him about what it is doing. Has anyone else had a problem like this, only when you play games, movies are alright every thing works fine.
post #29 of 2074 Old 04-28-2008, 03:46 PM

has anyone turned on their tv then seen only red/green picture? kind of like if you plugin component in the wrong colour order (this is using hdmi 2 on a videotron pace hd cable box)? i have a brand new 42pz85u

i turned off the tv then turned back on and all is working...just kind of scary?
post #30 of 2074 Old 04-28-2008, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briandee17 View Post

I have a th-42px80u, when I play my PS3 (hdmi cable) for an hour or so, If I shut the tv off and come back to watch TV it won't come on. The guys changed the hdmi board. TV was working good until my stepson played the ps3 again, shut the tv off came back about 4hrs later, the tv wouldn't come on, red lite blinkes 10 times. The tv repair man is coming to get it as soon as panny techs talk with him about what it is doing. Has anyone else had a problem like this, only when you play games, movies are alright every thing works fine.

Check my post #17 above. Try this: plug your PS3 into the HDMI port in the FRONT of the TV. Note that turning on the PS3 device before you turn on the TV seems to be the trigger. The front port on my TV doesn't appear to be vulnerable to the power-on order. I haven't had the problem since moving the cable to the front port. Looks kinda funky, tho.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic

User Tag List