just changed my mind on my plasma........ - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 35 Old 03-10-2008, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all. I am in the process of building a home theater in my living room. I am hitting some budgeting issues, so I have been doing more research on displays. Originally, I had an easy choice in the PDP5080HD. It gets rave reviews everyplace. The cheapest I can find this TV is about 2500 bucks. During my research I came across the Panny TH50PX77U. This TV also gets great reviews...not as good as the pioneer, but still good. The kicker is I can get the Panny for 1400 bucks! So basically I think I would be stupid to get the 5080, when I could get the Panny, and most of my surround sound sytem for the same money I was going to spend on the 5080.......and I should still have an amazing picture with the Panny.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 03-10-2008, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
.. the 50PX80U would be better and probably "save" a couple bills diff. (or even less ) if you can postpone yr purchase till this Fall.
post #3 of 35 Old 03-10-2008, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

I would encourage you to look at the sets before deciding. If I liked the 5080 picture (and I do) and I wanted to switch to a less expensive set, I would probably choose the Panasonic 700 series or the new sets coming out now. Their pictures are much more similar to the 5080 than the 77 series.
post #4 of 35 Old 03-10-2008, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel'son View Post

.. the 50PX80U would be better and probably a couple bills diff. (or even less ) if you can postpone yr purchase till this Fall.

I think the 50PX80U is coming out next month not next fall. It's already available for preorder on the Panasonic website. I would chose this set personally.
post #5 of 35 Old 03-10-2008, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

I am planning on buying in about 1 month, so I can wait.......but I have to ask - when the new model comes out, will it be 1400 bucks? I don't think so.......
post #6 of 35 Old 03-10-2008, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post

I think the 50PX80U is coming out next month not next fall. It's already available for preorder on the Panasonic website. I would chose this set personally.

.. aware its out 'soon' but felt this individual could save some by postponing their purchase till "this" Fall.
post #7 of 35 Old 03-10-2008, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
The Pio can be had for quite a bit less than $2500 bucks. Shop a bit.

And.... do NOT settle for less just to save a few bucks right now. Totally not worth it. Get the best you possibly can and if the Pio looks best then its the right choice all day long. Also, dont keep waiting for the "new models" to come out. You cant beat the system anyways and no matter what you buy it will only be superceeded by a new model in 6 months so whats the point? Just get a damned TV and enjoy it. I hate the "just wait for xxxxx models to come out advice.... ugggh!"

My 2 cents...
post #8 of 35 Old 03-10-2008, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Remember, no price/pricing talk. Thanks.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #9 of 35 Old 03-10-2008, 10:48 AM

I agree! I was all set to wait and get my new th-50px80... but if I can get into a year old 1080p for only a couple hundred dollars more... that would seem to be a good deal.

What do you guys think? The other big difference seems to be the anti-glare coating on the 77. Some people think this is a good thing, some think it makes the picture more 'soft' and less sharp.

Any advice would be most appreciated.
post #10 of 35 Old 03-10-2008, 04:37 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivepoint View Post

I agree! I was all set to wait and get my new th-50px80... but if I can get into a year old 1080p for only a couple hundred dollars more... that would seem to be a good deal.

What do you guys think? The other big difference seems to be the anti-glare coating on the 77. Some people think this is a good thing, some think it makes the picture more 'soft' and less sharp.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Go with the 50pz77u. 1080p and not much more than 50px77u.

Frys is excellent. Better hurry though.

50pz77u currently has better $value than 50pz85u will for at least 9-12 months. Some have also said that the picture quality is equal (see reviews on this board and on amazon).
post #11 of 35 Old 03-10-2008, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

Remember, no price/pricing talk. Thanks.

larry

Yes, I know. It makes absolutely no sense. The OP clearly invited it. It wasn't like I was hijacking his thread (like you have done).

The audiovideo philes that run this board are just mad that they have to buy everything right when it comes out. They don't want to find out 2 months later how ripped off they were by the MSRP (which is driven by trying to capture the eager beavers that don't allow price talk).
post #12 of 35 Old 03-10-2008, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb4g View Post

Yes, I know. It makes absolutely no sense. The OP clearly invited it. It wasn't like I was hijacking his thread (like you have done).

The audiovideo philes that run this board are just mad that they have to buy everything right when it comes out. They don't want to find out 2 months later how ripped off they were by the MSRP (which is driven by trying to capture the eager beavers that don't allow price talk).

I don't know who runs the 'board' but was unaware they HAVE TO buy everything when it first comes out.
Sounds more like an impulsive buyer with money to burn than any expert to me. Certainly not experts with regards to economics.
Although I guess some could be experts in their own mind.
Or some could be 'drips under pressure'.. another definition for an 'expert'.
post #13 of 35 Old 03-10-2008, 05:20 PM

check tweeter's price on the pioneer elite 1150 it will fit your budget even better than most panny, and sammys
post #14 of 35 Old 03-10-2008, 05:20 PM

Burnout, I would wait t'il the 50px80 series comes out within the month. It is a better set than 700 series with higher contrast ratio, better blacks, better processing, extra hdmi, etc. Go on Panny's website and you'll see the mfr retail is not much more than the 50px77 price you mentioned. Also as mentioned above you should shop around on the Pioneer.
post #15 of 35 Old 03-10-2008, 06:25 PM
DFJ

I agree.

I had the same decision to make over the holidays, and after weeks of looking, I chose the 5080 and have not regretted it for one second. I cannot stress this enough: the picture on the Panasonic--and I viewed it in the store, at at a friend's house, etc.--is just not as vibrant as the Kuro. The 5080 has anti-glare, but not the matte screen of the 50px77 and it makes a big difference--and that's before you get to the deeper blacks. The 50px77 really looks dull to me in comparison, and even my (2007) Panasonic-owning friends concur.

And yes, it's cheaper, but it depends on where and when you buy. I got the web price and a price match from a later sale on my 5080 and it turned out to be cheaper than my original plan.

I'm very excited to see Panny's 2008 lineup, but I would keep the above in mind if you're considering the 50px77. It's a fine tv and may be the best in your budget, but as others have suggested here, I would keep shopping around.
post #16 of 35 Old 03-10-2008, 07:12 PM

Burn I can vouch for the panny line. Having both last years panny 50 and the current 58pz700u the picture is amazing. Check out consumer reports on both these sets they rate the highest among plasma TV's.
post #17 of 35 Old 03-10-2008, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

If your looking for a 50" PZ700 take a look at the Costco 50" PE700. It has the same insides as the PZ700 & the only differences between them is that the Costco version has a Flat Finish & Duck Feet for a base.

I would stay away from the 77's "Anti-Glare" screen (Unless You Have A Really Bright Room) & get the 700 that has the "Anti-Reflective" screen which is like the ones that Panny is now using on the entire 2008 line. The 700 also adds better speakers, sound circuits & a PC Input.

Costco has a no questions asked Return Policy so if you din't like it you could always return it & by then the new PZ800 should be out.
post #18 of 35 Old 03-10-2008, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If youre going to go panasonic go with the 50px80u...but I didn't pay anwhere close to 2500 for my 5080HD
post #19 of 35 Old 03-10-2008, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wow, I'm not sure I've ever seen someone telling a moderator doing their job that they're hijacking a thread. Now that's chutzpah.
post #20 of 35 Old 03-10-2008, 10:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post

The Panasonic TH-50PX80U are already out from independent dealers. So are the 42PX80U and also the 50PZ85U.

Forum Sponsor // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1-866-651-0049 // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/
/

/

/
post #21 of 35 Old 03-11-2008, 03:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The rule about pricing may seem a little draconian but Alan Gouger and the people at AVS have provided a great service with this board. They are in the business of selling audio/video equipment and installations. They should be under no obligation to provide you with a mechanism for finding the "cheapest deals" on your equipment. Such information is readily available elsewhere.

Brian
post #22 of 35 Old 03-11-2008, 04:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:

Do you even realize your ripping into the Moderator doing his job? Your statements make absolutely no sense and you've been here a month and can pass such judgements?

This is a technical forum not a shopping forum - google works great as does resellerratings to check credibility of retailors but you'll learn quickly to police discussions on pricing so as to keep it technical and prevent abuses - most of us have the same temptation to post prices and early on many members cross the line until a thread gets locked down or edited and for that temptation anyone can become a AVS Club Member and post in the Great Found Deals Section for such or use shopping search engines.

Good Luck but don't prejudge the several hundred thousand members sharing and bring your own baggage and attack the Moderator simply doing their job - we are not a herd being forced to do anything - we all have free will and share our differing opinions regularly - we can all easily find prices - Google and many other search engines excell in that respect.

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #23 of 35 Old 03-11-2008, 04:17 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Dude... you are so far off-base with your opinion it is incomprehensible. If I was worried about the money I would have stopped buying A/V gear and quit the AVS Forum years ago.
post #24 of 35 Old 03-11-2008, 06:49 AM

To all who criticized me:

I don't like censorship in public forums...I don't care who runs the board. Yes, I do blame the moderator for doing his job. No one's forcing him to do it. Why do people have a problem with free exchange of information? Scared of competition? Buyer's remorse? Truth is I don't know what the motivations are, I was just speculating. Moreover, if they shut this board down...another would pop up in its place, so it is not like this is an irreplaceable forum.

Healthy competition and the free exchange of information is an ideal that makes all of us better off (why do you think prices get driven lower and lower so more can afford the stuff we talk about?). Policing this board and eliminating information about competitors stifles competition and free exchange of information. If these people really had altruistic motives, they wouldn't be wasting their time policing the board and deleting posts for "price talk".

The OP asked about value...I gave him info on an excellent deal. I note that when people post deals that aren't that good, their posts don't get deleted. How can you compare two products without mentioning price, which for most is a crucial aspect of the product? It is not like I went into a technical only thread and hijacked it with price talk, and it doesn't affect those who only want to discuss technical information. Price talk on this forum can be both inoccuous and good for the world, as it is in this thread.
post #25 of 35 Old 03-11-2008, 07:03 AM

Quote:

The rule is ridiculous. I hate censorship in public forums...I don't care who runs the board. Yes, I do blame the moderator for doing his job. No one's forcing him to do it.

The OP asked about value...I gave him info on an excellent deal. I note that when people post deals that aren't that good, their posts don't get deleted. How can you compare two products without mentioning price, which for most is a crucial aspect of the product? Absurd!!!!

I consider myself a pretty unbiased party to this issue, but I have to say man... its not like they are making these rules up out of thin air. It is their forum, and they posted certain rules to mold the conversation around how they want it. If they would have wanted a 'price based forum' they could have done that easily. If you don't like the way this forum is setup, you can always leave.

On the other hand, all you were doing was trying to help the OP out, and I can respect that. Its not like you were trying to engage in a lengthy price discussion... it was more of a "hey, pssst, here is a great price." and I don't see a huge problem with that.

But the thing is that it isn't my choice, and it isn't yours. The owners of the forum, and the moderators they choose to run it make these kind of decisions, and you have to live by that.

Good luck!
post #26 of 35 Old 03-11-2008, 08:48 AM

I would call that a moderator hijack, because now the thread has nothing to do with the OP for the last several posts.

What is the point of this forum? If I remember correctly, you have to buy these TVs, which means money/prices. So are people seeking help not supposed to get help figuring out which TV is best for their budget? Oh, that's right. You have to give the moderators money to get permission to talk about prices. The only forum I know of that has these kinds of discriminatory speech laws...

To the OP: I would say spend your money to how you prefer your viewing experience. Would you rather spend all of it on the best TV you can afford, or would you rather get one not quite as good, but have full surround sound? I personally would rather have the surround sound as that adds a lot to the viewing experience. The other side of the conversation would be you are getting better electronics that may not need to be upgraded. Spending a good chunk of money on quality speakers means you don't have to upgrade them for several years. If you get cheap ones then you will be more likely to replace them which overall costs more in the long run. Anyhow, my $.02. I would recommend taking a trip to a few dedicated A/V stores and compare the model TVs you are looking at. Your own eyes are the best judgement.
post #27 of 35 Old 03-11-2008, 10:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

To all who criticized me:

I don't like censorship in public forums...

The sidewalk on Main Street is a "public forum." This is a private forum, and the people who own this website have the right to implement whatever rules they want.
post #28 of 35 Old 03-12-2008, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivepoint View Post

I consider myself a pretty unbiased party to this issue, but I have to say man... its not like they are making these rules up out of thin air. It is their forum, and they posted certain rules to mold the conversation around how they want it. If they would have wanted a 'price based forum' they could have done that easily. If you don't like the way this forum is setup, you can always leave.

On the other hand, all you were doing was trying to help the OP out, and I can respect that. Its not like you were trying to engage in a lengthy price discussion... it was more of a "hey, pssst, here is a great price." and I don't see a huge problem with that.

But the thing is that it isn't my choice, and it isn't yours. The owners of the forum, and the moderators they choose to run it make these kind of decisions, and you have to live by that.

Good luck!

Just send a PM to the Op with pricing info and no rules are broken.
post #29 of 35 Old 03-12-2008, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p59teitel View Post

The sidewalk on Main Street is a "public forum." This is a private forum, and the people who own this website have the right to implement whatever rules they want.

Last I knew, anybody could sign up, and anybody can view this website, even from their favorite public coffee house on a public network. Thus that would make this is a public forum. If this was closed to all anonymous viewing and accounts were invite-only, then it would be private.

Thanks to the mod for destroying a thread and turning away a new forum member. There was nothing in here about price matching, price wars, or competition to deserve the comment(s). I won't be buying product from a forum sponsor any more. I find myself using these forums less and less because of the bullying.
post #30 of 35 Old 03-12-2008, 10:09 AM

frys.com front page...50pz77u...its only a few clicks. Do it...you will be glad you did

Nothing in this post about pricing. Now quit deleting my posts that do not say anything about price! My other post that didn't mention price, but mentioned the word "value" was deleted arbitrarily for no reason. No mention of price!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page