New Panasonic THX Certified 42PZ800U, 46PZ800U, and 50PZ800U Thread! - Page 87 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2581 of 7775 Old 06-17-2008, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You can buy an hdmi adapter for the xbox360. I believe madkatz makes one. I have read that it makes everything very bright though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2582 of 7775 Old 06-17-2008, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesr View Post

Any suggestions if the PS3 is worth it if mainly used as a player with some eventual gaming? Or best to just get a player now and wait to see if the 360 comes out w/ blu ray capabilities (really love Halo)?

i'm not that familiar with the variety of blu-ray players, but i have heard that the ps3 is among the best you can buy at this point because of its capability to download updates on the software to make the player akin to the newest versions. i personally have a ps3, and i love it - gaming obviously is nice for me, but just the overall performance, ease of use, etc all have been excellent.

also, if you wait for the 360 to have blu-ray capability, you will be waiting a LONG time, as its a sony technology, and there would be no reason for them to destroy the ps3 by giving away one of its biggest advantages.
post #2583 of 7775 Old 06-17-2008, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Purist View Post

I don't think it has anything to do with the source frame rate. The cause of the flicker is more likely that humans can see at a rate of more than 48hz, approximately 60-75hz depending on the area of the eye. 48hz is fast enough to cause a feeling of flicker relative to a movie theater displaying a film at 24hz, while being slow enough to be noticeable e.g. <60hz. This is probably why everyone refers to Pioneer's choice of 72hz as being perfect, fast enough that we are unable to perceive the refresh but divisible by 24 so that it matches film speed.

Movies on film are 24fps, but are projected at 48fps (each frame flashed 2 times to decrease the dark interval between frames) so what you see in a movie theater is identical to a Panasonic display in 48Hz mode for a 24p source - unless the Panasonic display has a problem (firmware more than likely) that keeps the screen dark between frames too long.

"Movies is magic..." Van Dyke Parks
THX Certified Professional Video Calibration
ISF -- HAA -- www.dBtheatrical.com
Widescreen Review -- Home Theater & Sound
post #2584 of 7775 Old 06-17-2008, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibbydriver View Post

One last thing im wondering about this tv is about the THX certification. I know most people say the picture is incredible right out of the box but is the THX certification good for all sources? The source material for this tv in my house would be HD DVD's, BR's and opconverted DVD's. Is the THX mode set for all these sources. I know in the Cnet review they stated that they did some slight tweaking of contrast but did anyone else touch a think on the thx mode?

It is THX Certified - not THX Calibrated. Just like a THX certified loudspeaker or AVR... certification doesn't mean you just put the speakers on the floor or on the wall and plug the AVR in and everything will be perfect. Calibration still applies and sources are all potentially different.

Being THX Certified doesn't mean there's no benefit to calibration.

post #2585 of 7775 Old 06-17-2008, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blackburn View Post

Movies on film are 24fps, but are projected at 48fps (each frame flashed 2 times to decrease the dark interval between frames) so what you see in a movie theater is identical to a Panasonic display in 48Hz mode for a 24p source - unless the Panasonic display has a problem (firmware more than likely) that keeps the screen dark between frames too long.

I hope they're able to issue a firmware update because I would love to watch movies with the 48hz mode, its just so annoying with the timing that they use currently.

-James
post #2586 of 7775 Old 06-17-2008, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blackburn View Post

It is THX Certified - not THX Calibrated. Just like a THX certified loudspeaker or AVR... certification doesn't mean you just put the speakers on the floor or on the wall and plug the AVR in and everything will be perfect. Calibration still applies and sources are all potentially different.

Being THX Certified doesn't mean there's no benefit to calibration.

Ive seen scenes from planet earth on blu ray on a calibrated set and they match the THX mode on the 800u perfectly. Ill post some pics of the thx mode in action compared to custom. And like cnet said, the THX modes colors are extremely accurate and obviate in-depth calibration. I'll prove it righht now....
post #2587 of 7775 Old 06-17-2008, 03:27 PM

THX Still

CUSTOM Still
post #2589 of 7775 Old 06-17-2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizom View Post

You can buy an hdmi adapter for the xbox360. I believe madkatz makes one. I have read that it makes everything very bright though.

I own it. It completely crushes the whites, so you would have to turn your tv's brightness completely off. Besides this issue, there is a noticeable difference in PQ.
post #2590 of 7775 Old 06-17-2008, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11

I dont know about true resolutions, but the resolution and detail of alot of the pics posted on the kuro thread are good, so check what host/res they're using.

And, btw, you seem to know what you're doing (the last 3 pictures were really well done), i'd definetly like to see more pictures of your set.

I will ask though, were the last three pictures taken in THX mode? i mean, they looked great, but they definetly seemed like they had more pop than the other THX examples, so i'd be surprised if it indeed was also THX.
post #2591 of 7775 Old 06-17-2008, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Purist View Post

I hope they're able to issue a firmware update because I would love to watch movies with the 48hz mode, its just so annoying with the timing that they use currently.

Has anyone heard if there is a fix coming?

Kagolu
post #2592 of 7775 Old 06-17-2008, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spincut View Post

I will ask though, were the last three pictures taken in THX mode? i mean, they looked great, but they definetly seemed like they had more pop than the other THX examples, so i'd be surprised if it indeed was also THX.

No, they weren't. But they looked absolutely beautiful. Just wanted to show some pop. You wouldnt believe how gorgeously natural and lifelike accurate thx mode is in a blu ray like planet earth. I had waves of people at my house today and all agreed thx was unbelievable in reproducing lifes naturalness.
post #2593 of 7775 Old 06-18-2008, 01:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohzeenyc View Post

No, they weren't. But they looked absolutely beautiful. Just wanted to show some pop. You wouldnt believe how gorgeously natural and lifelike accurate thx mode is in a blu ray like planet earth. I had waves of people at my house today and all agreed thx was unbelievable in reproducing lifes naturalness.

oh, well wait then, what mode were those last three taken in? Surely not the same custom mode you were using up top? cause it was...like...weird looking on the comparison pics...
post #2594 of 7775 Old 06-18-2008, 04:29 AM

Thanks ohzeenyc for posting those pics. It seems we still keep going round and round with the discussion about THX and "pop". I honestly think that for all those folks looking for "pop", which I have yet to see defined, you will probably be unhappy with this set and THX. It feels to me like you are looking for some bright saturated image, which is definitely not the 800U in THX mode. To me what I find so incredible about THX mode is that no matter what I am watching BD Planet earth, HDTV baseball, or SD DVD, Saving Private Ryan, I feel like I am watching precisely what I was intended to see. In Planet Earth every color and detail is realistic and filled with life as if I were immersed in the scene itself and part of it. In HDTV baseball it is like I am right there at the game and again the colors are so realistic and the detail so perfect that I do not feel like I am watching TV but at the game. In Saving Private Ryan I feel like I am back in the cinema experiencing exactly what the director intended, every color, shade, detail, and transition are executed with perfection. I guess the bottom line for me is what this set has achieved is transparency. It just vanishes and I am one with the source. I don't know how you can translate that into photos online or even words or tests or specs. But I guess that's what a 30 tryout is for. I still say baby does this set rock! I have the PZ46800U and the only thing that will make me happier is the upcoming summer vacation when I'll have a lot more time to enjoy this set.
post #2595 of 7775 Old 06-18-2008, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by svphile View Post

I'm pretty sure I put it in home vs store mode. Is there anyway to double check?

Store-mode will reset any User Menu setting changes you make in some consistent time interval... usually 15 or 30 or 45 minutes. So if some kid hoses the settings with the remote, the TV "fixes" itself automatically when the time interval elapses.

Of course, the settings it reverts to are probably the torch-mode wall-of-video settings. But some may keep the mode they are set to (like Cinema) and just put the sliders back to the default position for that mode.

post #2596 of 7775 Old 06-18-2008, 09:15 AM

Quote:

Ive seen scenes from planet earth on blu ray on a calibrated set and they match the THX mode on the 800u perfectly. Ill post some pics of the thx mode in action compared to custom. And like cnet said, the THX modes colors are extremely accurate and obviate in-depth calibration. I'll prove it righht now....

The colors do look really accurate in THX mode, but the picture looks so much softer. Do other people observe the same thing?

Also, your custom calibration looks like it has way too much blue, but maybe that's just me...
post #2597 of 7775 Old 06-18-2008, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDis View Post

The colors do look really accurate in THX mode, but the picture looks so much softer. Do other people observe the same thing?

Also, your custom calibration looks like it has way too much blue, but maybe that's just me...

I 100% agree with both statements, I wish the THX mode looked sharper.. But just because the set is THX Certified, doesn't mean it is 100% calibrated, perhaps there is room for improvement in some settings to account for this?
post #2598 of 7775 Old 06-18-2008, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I don't see the softness. What types of input signal look soft?

post #2599 of 7775 Old 06-18-2008, 10:11 AM

Quote:

It looks blue because the color temperature is higher which biases color to the blue range of the spectrum. Whites look more blue as you go above the D6500 specification for broadcast TV color temperature. The pictures were a good example of that.

I've been lurking in this forum for a few weeks, because I'm interested in replacing my trusty Toshiba 50HDX82 rear projection HDTV with an 800U. I'd love to get that behemoth out of my home theater and move up to 1080 resolution.

So, I guess the 800U has no other color temperature control than using THX mode? I heard the Z850 (or is it the Z85?) has a "pro setting" mode that allows for adjusting white balance/color temperature. I'm also interested in the other poster's comment about "softness". Are there some noise reduction or sharpness settings that come along for the ride with THX mode? Those are the things that tend to create softness or other oddities in the picture.

The pictures have very good color balance. I had my Toshiba professionally calibrated when I bought it, so it has spoiled me on what colors should really look like. I won't buy a TV now that can't be calibrated either by me or professionally. I'd rather do it myself to save the bucks and have learned how to calibrate a TV over the years.

Thanks.
post #2600 of 7775 Old 06-18-2008, 10:12 AM

Quote:

That was slight blur from me not being able to keep my camera 100% still... I'll try to take another comparison shot for you guys....I have an old 5 megapixel camera btw... In custom, i did not adjust colors, only temp and basic picture adjustments ( i.e. picture, color, bright. ). I will take a THX, Standard, and custom pic cmparison if not now, then by tonight....
post #2601 of 7775 Old 06-18-2008, 10:24 AM

What settings are pz800u owners using for break in disc? I'm letting it run in THX default.

Does anyone know how to check hours in menu?

Did anyone else notice how bad the NBA finals feed was on ABC. I watched in THX default and there was a ton of noise when there was any kind of black in the shot. Could it be my set?
post #2602 of 7775 Old 06-18-2008, 11:19 AM

svphile, I am breaking in my 800u as well and last nights game was horrible. Most of the game wasn't even in hd where I live.

There is another thread about how bad the nba finals series was under the hdtv stuff.
post #2603 of 7775 Old 06-18-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizom View Post

svphile, I am breaking in my 800u as well and last nights game was horrible. Most of the game wasn't even in hd where I live.

There is another thread about how bad the nba finals series was under the hdtv stuff.

NBA finals was bad for me as well. Not horrible, but there was definite noise in places. I have DirecTV but have noticed the same thing on OTA broadcast as well.
post #2604 of 7775 Old 06-18-2008, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob0405 View Post

Why oh why does the 58" 800/850 have to be the last to come out this year? Anybody hazard a guess on the MSRP of these guys?

For the 58" 800U, the MSRP might be $3600 if you want to believe ProductWiki.com ... This is the only place where I've found a price listed for the 58", and their MSRPs for the 42" and 50" were accurate (at $2300 and $3200), so I'm hopeful that $3600 might be correct for the 58" -- and it would be amazing if the 58" lists for only $400 more than the 50" !

I had the 50" 800U for one week and just returned it, to wait (and wait and wait) for the 58" 800U, currently expected in September or October (contrary to the 5-1-08 release date shown on ProductWiki's site)....

I can't post the URL because I'm a new member here, but you can go to productwiki.com and search for TH-58PZ800U (press Enter when you are in the Search box, for some reason clicking on Search doesn't work).
post #2605 of 7775 Old 06-18-2008, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdavy View Post

For the 58" 800U, the MSRP might be $3600 if you want to believe ProductWiki.com ... This is the only place where I've found a price listed for the 58", and their MSRPs for the 42" and 50" were accurate (at $2300 and $3200), so I'm hopeful that $3600 might be correct for the 58" -- and it would be amazing if the 58" lists for only $400 more than the 50" !

I had the 50" 800U for one week and just returned it, to wait (and wait and wait) for the 58" 800U, currently expected in September or October (contrary to the 5-1-08 release date shown on ProductWiki's site)....

I can't post the URL because I'm a new member here, but you can go to productwiki.com and search for TH-58PZ800U (press Enter when you are in the Search box, for some reason clicking on Search doesn't work).

I believe the MSRP for the 58PZ800U is $3999.95. The MSRP for the 58PZ850U is $4299.95

Chris
post #2606 of 7775 Old 06-18-2008, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiwright View Post

Thanks ohzeenyc for posting those pics. It seems we still keep going round and round with the discussion about THX and "pop". I honestly think that for all those folks looking for "pop", which I have yet to see defined, you will probably be unhappy with this set and THX. It feels to me like you are looking for some bright saturated image, which is definitely not the 800U in THX mode. To me what I find so incredible about THX mode is that no matter what I am watching BD Planet earth, HDTV baseball, or SD DVD, Saving Private Ryan, I feel like I am watching precisely what I was intended to see. In Planet Earth every color and detail is realistic and filled with life as if I were immersed in the scene itself and part of it. In HDTV baseball it is like I am right there at the game and again the colors are so realistic and the detail so perfect that I do not feel like I am watching TV but at the game. In Saving Private Ryan I feel like I am back in the cinema experiencing exactly what the director intended, every color, shade, detail, and transition are executed with perfection. I guess the bottom line for me is what this set has achieved is transparency. It just vanishes and I am one with the source. I don't know how you can translate that into photos online or even words or tests or specs. But I guess that's what a 30 tryout is for. I still say baby does this set rock! I have the PZ46800U and the only thing that will make me happier is the upcoming summer vacation when I'll have a lot more time to enjoy this set.

Well, i think the Pioneers have alot of pop to them when set a certain way, it's notj ust brightness and oversaturated colors, sometimes it's just have somewhat brighter colors, bolocks to accuracy, just a little richer looking, particularily for gaming, or a less theatrical experience.

Quote:

That was slight blur from me not being able to keep my camera 100% still... I'll try to take another comparison shot for you guys....I have an old 5 megapixel camera btw... In custom, i did not adjust colors, only temp and basic picture adjustments ( i.e. picture, color, bright. ). I will take a THX, Standard, and custom pic cmparison if not now, then by tonight....

Great, some of the last ones looked really good, although i'm still curious about what mode they were in then if it wasnt THX, as i thought they still looked pretty good.

Also, if you have any gaming systems, that would be another cool thing to try and get good shots of.
post #2607 of 7775 Old 06-18-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creemail View Post

I believe the MSRP for the 58PZ800U is $3999.95. The MSRP for the 58PZ850U is $4299.95

Chris

Thanks Chris, it figures that the $3600 was too good to be true!

Dave
post #2608 of 7775 Old 06-18-2008, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdavy View Post

Welcome to the forum, bigdavy and thanks for the info.

There are no answers, only choices.
post #2609 of 7775 Old 06-18-2008, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

I noticed that Crutchfield already droped the price $300 on the 42" model but maybe it's because the 42" is just not selling that well? Maybe the new 46" size model is cutting into the 42" sales? Just seemed strange because Crutchfield usually doesn't drop any prices this early after a model has just came out.
post #2610 of 7775 Old 06-18-2008, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1313 View Post

I noticed that Crutchfield already droped the price $300 on the 42" model but maybe it's because the 42" is just not selling that well? Maybe the new 46" size model is cutting into the 42" sales? Just seemed strange because Crutchfield usually doesn't drop any prices this early after a model has just came out.

Yeah but have you checked Amazons price on the 42"? mucho droppage as well.

I would be surprised though, with the only relatively high end 1080p 42" plasma, you'd think the size would be selling pretty good.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page